2011-08-07, 10:19 PM
New comic is up.

Guancyto
2011-08-07, 10:21 PM
Oh yes. Yes yes yes.

Edit: Yes.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-08-07, 10:21 PM
V is Learning! But will Belkar be happy with V stealing his kill? :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-08-07, 10:23 PM
Perfection indeed. :smallamused:

Fitzclowningham
Wow, Z just took 7 bolts, two of which were sneak attacks. He's got to be almost out of hp.

The verbosity is awesome.

Luzahn
...Have we found Belkar's replacement?

Considering this is strip 800, it could have some measure of importance to the story. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
Go Vaarsuvius! One of the best strips in a while. :smallbiggrin:

Ted The Bug
2011-08-07, 10:24 PM
I wanted something cool for 800.
The Giant DELIVERED! Completely unexpected move on V's part!

JoeSkull
2011-08-07, 10:25 PM
That was great.
That is all.

Talvereaux
Very tactical of V! Looks like they've got the strengths and weaknesses of their class pegged.

Cruiser1
Minor typo in panel 4: "but it also our weakness" should be "but it's also our weakness". But beyond that, great comic, and great logical deduction and execution by V! With Belkar likely dying soon, perhaps YukYuk joining the OoTS will be a more serious offer?

Ajadea
2011-08-07, 10:26 PM
Awesome, brilliant, epic. I need some kobold archers for my players to enchant now.

The-Mage-King
2011-08-07, 10:26 PM
It... It's... Beautiful. I think I know who'll be Belkar's replacement if he stays dead.

snikrept
2011-08-07, 10:27 PM
No effect from Phantasmal Killer... Guess they both made their saving throw?

ryu
2011-08-07, 10:28 PM
Sweet. Not to mention that gear is probably going to be given back to its rightful owners soon. I sense swift linear ownage coming.:smallamused:

Inkling
Gotta say- Vaarsuvius swearing? Awesome.

SMACKDOWN.

Silva Stormrage
Thats an awesome idea... I did not see that coming at all. Good work V! Use that ridiculous int score.

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 10:29 PM
Giant, I love you. This is brilliance. This is amazing. This is awesome.

And now everyone will shut up about 00 strips for another eighty updates. :smallcool:

Blisstake
2011-08-07, 10:29 PM
Haha, I saw the charm spell coming, but not the mobile kobold gun.

Woodsman
2011-08-07, 10:30 PM
Brilliant. Sheer brilliance.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 10:31 PM
YAY! Off-screen spellcasting is badass! Z is going DOWN!
{scrubbed}

Shadic
2011-08-07, 10:31 PM
Fantastic.

V is learning to his all of his Int points properly. This is getting good.

Shadowbane
2011-08-07, 10:32 PM
That was GREAT!

TheSummoner
A great comic, and the bit about YukYuk not resisting the command to shoot Z was hilarious...

But I'm still worried about Mr. Scruffy. YukYuk may be no threat to the little kitty at the moment, but Sir Scraggly is still sniffing around...

Circle of Life
Oh V, I knew that Int score wasn't just for show!

DukeGod
Style trumps the broken Wizards!

blueblade
Fine ratio. 7 hits to a single mumble!

Starscream
2011-08-07, 10:33 PM
I love it when the OOTS member with the highest INT really acts like it. Almost as cool as Explosive Runes on the phylactery.

Darklord Bright
Looks like V's got his hands on a semi-automatic Kobold.

The Glyphstone
Fantastic.

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 10:34 PM
I wanted something cool for 800.
The Giant DELIVERED! Completely unexpected move on V's part!

We always get something cool on updates.

Gotta say- Vaarsuvius swearing? Awesome.

SMACKDOWN.

I think it is because xe's quoting a swear that makes it so hilarious, xe said damnations last strip.

Betropper
Really Z? Somehow you didn't see someone else interfering?

MBI
Is the speak-bubble for Z in panel 3 supposed to be black like that?

Azuyomi244
Perfection indeed :smallcool:

Katana_Geldar
If that had happened in my group, I would have stood and clapped. Yay V!

Yendor
2011-08-07, 10:35 PM
I approve of this turn of events.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 10:36 PM

Hey, it IS a normal speech bubble. Not like he's raised his voice in ONLY that panel... Giant, you made a rookie mistaakkkke *sing song voice*.

Aldrakan
It might be a tad hypocritical of V to consider silence a virtue.
I do wonder how (s)he's holding Yuk Yuk like that. Obviously he's lighter than a human, but V's strength score can't be very high. With the recent focus on support magic would (s)he have Bull's Strength prepared?

Nale's plan seems to be going south faster than usual, but then his last one also assumed that the Order would win their outright confrontation, so who knows if this was expected? And Durkon's counterpart has yet to reveal itself.

gadren
No effect from Phantasmal Killer... Guess they both made their saving throw?

Of COURSE they made their saving throws. Everyone always makes their saving throws against Phantasmal Killer, it allows the target to make TWO (a fortitude and a will) before it actually kills someone.

Phantasmal Killer, a complete waste of a spell slot and a standard action since 2000!

Kuroimaken
2011-08-07, 10:37 PM
I am SO very glad Z wasn't smart enough to prepare Wind Wall.

Then again, no one would expect V to pull the Dominate trick on Yukyuk.

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 10:39 PM

I think a few people were expecting it, but so few it didn't catch on around the forum.

zimmerwald1915
Huh. I wonder which spell V used to counterspell Z's Break Enchantment. If it was Break Enchantment itself, then V's getting Elan out of the fight was either solely motivated by a desire to mobilize Durkon, or solely motivated by a desire to get rid of Elan (whether to ensure his safety or remove him as a distraction), or both. Though one wonders why, if V used Break Enchantment to counterspell Z's Break Enchantment, she didn't use it to un-petrify Haley. If, as might more likely be the case, V used Dispel Magic to counterspell Z's Break Enchantment, one wonders how many Dispels she prepared today. She already counterspelled twice that we saw (the Baleful Polymorph and above the arena in 798) and this is her third. She might very well be running low on Dispels by now.

I do wonder how (s)he's holding Yuk Yuk like that. Obviously he's lighter than a human, but V's strength score can't be very high. With the recent focus on support magic would (s)he have Bull's Strength prepared?
As far as we've seen, carrying capacity is usually ignored when a character's in flight.

Mutant Sheep

Except for half this forum.:smallamused:

Lira
This is why I love Vaarsuvius. :smallbiggrin: Fantastic comic.

Valwyn
2011-08-07, 10:40 PM
Now that is how you use an Intelligence score of 18 :smallbiggrin: Well done, V!

Flame of Anor
Seven hells YEEEESSSSSS :smallbiggrin:

That should show the complainers that think the OotS can never do anything right!

Gift Jeraff
Is the speak-bubble for Z in panel 3 supposed to be black like that?I don't think so.

Normally V's last panels are too smug for my taste, but this one was brilliant. But I think things are starting too look too uphill for the OOTS. Maybe Durkon's opposite will do for the Linear Guild what Durkon does for the OOTS. (Everything.)

Lurkmoar
Very nice. I didn't see that one coming, though V has made good use of suggestion type spells before.

CoffeeIncluded
Oh yeah, go V! That was wonderful!

Stegyre
V-, you are awesum! And your reasoning, impeccable.

Way to go, Rich. Pure win, as is so often the case.

gooddragon1
2011-08-07, 10:41 PM
Oh dats funnay. Dat's reely funnay. Yiiisss.

The Glyphstone
"Short Dual-Wielding Murderer department" - new hires expected soon! Submit your application today!

The Giant

Fixed, along with the previously noted lack of the verb "to be."

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 10:42 PM
Think V's comment about there being a new member was a poke at us? I hope so.

And there's this weird glitch that happens every now and then #799, still considers itself latest, unless you go to another strip, where it then says 800 is new.

Kuroimaken
2011-08-07, 10:44 PM
Huh. I wonder which spell V used to counterspell Z's Break Enchantment. If it was Break Enchantment itself, then V's getting Elan out of the fight was either solely motivated by a desire to mobilize Durkon, or solely motivated by a desire to get rid of Elan (whether to ensure his safety or remove him as a distraction), or both. Though one wonders why, if V used Break Enchantment to counterspell Z's Break Enchantment, she didn't use it to un-petrify Haley. If, as might more likely be the case, V used Dispel Magic to counterspell Z's Break Enchantment, one wonders how many Dispels she prepared today. She already counterspelled twice that we saw (the Baleful Polymorph and above the arena in 798) and this is her third. She might very well be running low on Dispels by now.
Hm. Good chance that it WAS Break Enchantment.

I'm not up to snuff on counterspelling mechanics, because I don't remember using them that often, but I DO know that Break Enchantment takes one minute to cast. A minute that V probably didn't have, specially considering that the enemy party was giving chase already. Counterspelling, on the other hand, defaults to a standard action.

...that reminds me, how the heck did Z fire off Break Enchantment that quickly? It can't be quickened.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-07, 10:46 PM
Hm. Good chance that it WAS Break Enchantment.

I'm not up to snuff on counterspelling mechanics, because I don't remember using them that often, but I DO know that Break Enchantment takes one minute to cast. A minute that V probably didn't have, specially considering that the enemy party was giving chase already. Counterspelling, on the other hand, defaults to a standard action.

...that reminds me, how the heck did Z fire off Break Enchantment that quickly? It can't be quickened.

I think he applied the Comedic Spell metamagic.

The Giant

He did it by virtue of the author not reading the casting time when he was writing the strip.

Mutant Sheep

That takes 4 fictional feats to get though!
Edit: Ninja'd. By the Giant! Bo YAH!

Think V's comment about there being a new member was a poke at us? I hope so.

And there's this weird glitch that happens every now and then #799, still considers itself latest, unless you go to another strip, where it then says 800 is new.
For me its when you click the Comics, stories, Gaming or Shop. The forum and news pages are fine though.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-07, 10:48 PM
That takes 4 fictional feats to get though!

Yeah, but those feats are also prerequisites for Improved Hilarity anyways, so it's not a total loss.

Vectner
2011-08-07, 10:48 PM
Wouldn't Dispel magic release Yuk Yuk? You would think Z would have prepared that one. Anyway, awesome way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Whiffet
2011-08-07, 10:49 PM
The second panel has one of my new favorite Vaarsuvius quotes. :smallbiggrin:

Triumphales
Yus.

Pure gangster, V. I wonder if (s)he has any more invisibility spells - hit and run tactics suit V.

Kuroimaken

Oh yeah, that metamagic DOES have a +0 adjustment!

He did it by virtue of the author not reading the casting time when he was writing the strip.

Hey, if I can't have the ability to make an awesome comic with stick figures, you can't have eidetic memory. It's only fair, right? :smalltongue:

Snails
Of COURSE they made their saving throws. Everyone always makes their saving throws against Phantasmal Killer, it allows the target to make TWO (a fortitude and a will) before it actually kills someone.

Phantasmal Killer, a complete waste of a spell slot and a standard action since 2000!

I have seen it work, but it is not great against anyone but a Rogue. Do keep in mind it is low level for save or die -- it just happens to become obsolete very quickly.

SnowballMan
I'm of the opinion that Yukyuk will serve in much the same capacity that "Skullsy" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0469.html) did for the halfling. Probably with similar end results.

Not that I'm an expert on this, but isn't there a feat that allows you to counter spell with other spells from the same school?

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 10:50 PM
Is Z capable of casting Protection from Arrows?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see he didn't prepare it.

Esprit15
2011-08-07, 10:50 PM
Dominate Person spell: Verbal component, somatic component, 100gp to write in book

Two crossbows: 70gp

Dominating your enemy's kobold archer and using him as an improvised weapon to attack an enemy spellcaster who is built to counter every predictable move you make: priceless

Vemynal
2011-08-07, 10:53 PM
that was *amazeballs*

And I love V's comment at the end; it leaves things very open as to whether that's the importance of "strip 800" or whether we are ignoring the "100" type comics role in telling the story now

ORione
2011-08-07, 10:54 PM
Vaarsuvius was already my favorite character, but even more so now.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 10:54 PM
Yeah, but those feats are also prerequisites for Improved Hilarity anyways, so it's not a total loss.

The Glyph quoted me! Yay!:smallsmile: Happy happy joy-joy! Next thing I know the Giant will!

nolispe
2011-08-07, 10:55 PM
I'd just like to say this.
This is my favorite individual comic in this entire strip. It gave V some legitimate character development, saved Mr Scruffy, and had multiple scenes of a drow being shot.

Oh, and it was funny, too.

lothos
I could quote about 70 people who already posted, but I'll paraphrase:

Fantastic
Great
Pure Win

800 strips and still superb. This is why I keep coming back.

Blisstake
Break Enchantment has a casting time of one minute?

Oh, dear, I believe I've been playing the game wrong.

Gift Jeraff
2011-08-07, 10:56 PM
She already counterspelled twice that we saw (the Baleful Polymorph and above the arena in 798) and this is her third. She might very well be running low on Dispels by now.That could easily be Z counterspelling V in #798. But I interpreted that and panel 8 of #653 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html) to be just "generic magic effects colliding."

The Glyphstone
2011-08-07, 10:56 PM
The Glyph quoted me! Yay!:smallsmile: Happy happy joy-joy!

The Giant quoted Kuroimaken, so he's still got you beat.:smallsmile:

that was *amazeballs*

And I love V's comment at the end; it leaves things very open as to whether that's the importance of "strip 800" or whether we are ignoring the "100" type comics role in telling the story now

I'm going with 'ignoring the 100' for my guess, since #700 didn't make a '00 joke either, though it may have been heavy foreshadowing/

Gaius
2011-08-07, 10:57 PM
Ha ha ha! :smallbiggrin: Oh man... I'd presumed V was going with the 'take out someone else's Bizarro counterpart' solution. I am completely sidewinded by 'use someone else's Bizarro counterpart to take out your own.' Good show, Giant!

Other comments:
The CrosskoBow LD 3000 is a weapon of beauty and genius in its simplicity.
Most of V's dialogue was enjoyable, particularly with that kinda blank expression for most of it, but the last three panels take the cake.
Yukyuk's angry eyebrows amuse me far more than they have any right to do.

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 10:57 PM
Break Enchantment has a casting time of one minute?

Oh, dear, I believe I've been playing the game wrong.

It doesn't, but

Originally Posted by The Giant

Kuroimaken
2011-08-07, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't Dispel magic release Yuk Yuk? You would think Z would have prepared that one. Anyway, awesome way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

It could, but there was a chance of failure (Z would still need to make the dispel check). Break Enchantment offers no such chance. Plus he'd already been shot, so the difference in concentration checks between those two spells were already flimsy as it is.

Finally, Dispel Magic has a caster level cap it can use, and Z had used a number of third-level spells already.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 11:00 PM
The Giant quoted Kuroimaken, so he's still got you beat.:smallsmile:

Nooooooo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sj89xgnl4#)! My time will come... Also, SHOOT Z IN THE FACE! I wanna see a drow get shot in the face by a kobold!:smallbiggrin:

Whiffet
2011-08-07, 11:01 PM
Cue deluge of theories about V purposely killing Belkar soon. This is going to be fun.

tsaylor
Fantastic comic. I love V's manner of speaking, and his character development is icing on the cake.

Kuroimaken
Nooooooo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sj89xgnl4#)! My time will come... Also, SHOOT Z IN THE FACE! I wanna see a drow get shot in the face by a kobold!:smallbiggrin:

I quote you so you can share in the awesomeness, Mutant Sheep.

Come to the awesome side. We kill steel beams and doesn't afraid of anything.

SteveMB
2011-08-07, 11:03 PM
No effect from Phantasmal Killer...

Well, except Yukyuk no longer objecting to the notion of turning Z into a pincushion.... :smallsmile:

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 11:03 PM
I quote you so you can share in the awesomeness, Mutant Sheep.

Come to the awesome side. We kill steel beams and doesn't afraid of anything.

I assume we use proper grammar in the acceptance forms? Doesn't afraid DOES show lack of fear of grammar conventions though...heck I'm in. Thank you.

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 11:05 PM
Well, except Yukyuk no longer objecting to the notion of turning Z into a pincushion.... :smallsmile:

Which is a pretty awesome two edged sword IMO. Nice to see character development and intelligence from V in one shot.

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-07, 11:05 PM
Z makes a charming pincushion.

Grendus
2011-08-07, 11:06 PM
Well it's about time V started playing to his/her 18 int. Though granted, preparing nothing but "Spell Resist: Yes" spells probably wasn't a great idea in the first place.

Snails
2011-08-07, 11:06 PM
I have to say, this is some of the savviest play I have seen in OotS in a long time, both for Z and V.

I thought it a little weird to use Flesh to Stone on the rogue-archer, because it is such a sweet spell to against a wizard. And a wizard might have a scroll of Break Enchantment in the backpack, while that is less likely for a rogue.

V's reasoning is rock solid; the most reasonable explanation is that Z feared the archer more than a wizard.

I would criticize V for not Disintegrating Qarr. One of the Order's be problems right now is they are scattered. The bird could be helpful.

Kuroimaken
2011-08-07, 11:07 PM
I'm not entirely sure he objected to it BEFORE... It's not like he started shooting more bolts because of it.

Then again, that'd mean he'd have to fire, reload and shoot again in the same round.

...which begs the question, does he have Rapid Reload? Cuz he only seems to reload between panels.

I suppose it spares Rich from having to figure out how the heck you can reload a crossbow as a free action when BOTH your hands are busy, though.

Kuroimaken
2011-08-07, 11:08 PM
I assume we use proper grammar in the acceptance forms? Doesn't afraid DOES show lack of fear of grammar conventions though...heck I'm in. Thank you.

Not my fault. The guy who did my motivational poster abused a meme.

Poor meme.

ORione
2011-08-07, 11:09 PM
I would criticize V for not Disintegrating Qarr. One of the Order's be problems right now is they are scattered. The bird could be helpful.

I don't think V noticed Qarr; he was too focused on Z.

That would explain why V didn't ask Blackwing if he was alright.

Menarker
2011-08-07, 11:09 PM
Looks like YukYuk's crossbows are both enchanted with Returning Attribute, judging from the "pop pop" sounds in one of the panels when the bolts reappear, and the arrows not staying in Z's wounds.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 11:10 PM
Not my fault. The guy who did my motivational poster abused a meme.

Poor meme.

Well that settles it, no questioning your epic now. :smallbiggrin: You be awesome!

AdmiralCheez
Strangely enough, Phantasmal Killer has a pretty deadly reputation around my group. Every time it's been used, the defender somehow rolls two crit fails in a row.

Victims include a player character, homebrew mutant elf bosses, and even a dragon.

We're all still confused on that last one...

MoonCat
I'm not entirely sure he objected to it BEFORE... It's not like he started shooting more bolts because of it.

Then again, that'd mean he'd have to fire, reload and shoot again in the same round.

...which begs the question, does he have Rapid Reload? Cuz he only seems to reload between panels.

I suppose it spares Rich from having to figure out how the heck you can reload a crossbow as a free action when BOTH your hands are busy, though.

It's a revolver crossbow! :smallbiggrin:

Looks like YukYuk's crossbows are both enchanted with Returning Attribute, judging from the "pop pop" sounds in one of the panels when the bolts reappear, and the arrows not staying in Z's wounds.

The one in Mr Scruffy (:smallfrown:) is still there...

ref
2011-08-07, 11:11 PM
Awesome to see Vaarsuvius thinking more and more. V's growing a lot, I love it.

And looking for a Belkar replacement (Belkar's long due) is just the point after touchdown.

FujinAkari
2011-08-07, 11:11 PM

Just because you're no longer making will saves to resist something doesn't mean you suddenly get more actions-per-turn than the rules allow :)

The Pink Ninja
2011-08-07, 11:12 PM
That. Is. Awesome.

ref
Awesome to see Vaarsuvius thinking more and more. V's growing a lot, I love it.

And looking for a Belkar replacement (Belkar's long due) is just the point after touchdown.

Mutant Sheep
It's a revolver crossbow! :smallbiggrin:

No, YukYuk is Batman. *pokerface smiley* No, what ORione said. Giant even made little pop-pop sounds!

iowaforever
2011-08-07, 11:16 PM
V's learning form the Xykon fight... and it's nice to see kobolds being used for things other than chip bowls and hats

Kuroimaken
2011-08-07, 11:18 PM
Well that settles it, no questioning your epic now. :smallbiggrin: You be awesome!

Because, you know. Reference.
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Just-my-2-cents/Motivators/pretty_cool_guy.jpg

Yes, that's me in the picture. But back to the thread.

Frankly, I'm just glad V never got the idea of sharing Polymorph with Blackwing.

A) It's a buff spell, so it fits his new philosophy.
B) It's a REALLY awesome spell.

But then again, polymorph is broken.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-07, 11:21 PM
Vaarsuvius has finally shed the shackles of an Evoker and has realized the potential every Wizard has: God.

Game, Set, and Match. It looks like V's little chat with Xykon has done wonders.

fibonacciseries
2011-08-07, 11:23 PM
That...is awesome.

MammonAzrael
2011-08-07, 11:24 PM
Fantastic. Brilliant showing of growth on V's part, as he would never had done something like this before his realization.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 11:25 PM
Because, you know. Reference.
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Just-my-2-cents/Motivators/pretty_cool_guy.jpg
Yes, that's me in the picture.
...:smallmad:
...:smallannoyed:
...:smallamused:
Omg that's awesome!:smallbiggrin:

BobVosh
2011-08-07, 11:28 PM
Awesome, just awesome.

I applaud you, Giant.

Anxe
2011-08-07, 11:30 PM
In Zzidrit's head, They have an archer. Should I prepare Protection from Arrows? NAH! I'll just prepare Flesh to Stone instead!

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 11:30 PM
Someone with a TvTropes account needs to go add something to the CMoA page. Under the Vaarsuvius folder, I think.

Conuly
2011-08-07, 11:31 PM
This is significantly more awesome than I'd anticipated! Sure, people had tossed around the idea of V using some spell to mind-control the other guy (what initial is he again? Yakyak? Yukyuk? Whatever), but I didn't imagine him flying around aiming arrows like that!

Arcran
2011-08-07, 11:36 PM
V's gotta gun.
Z's on the run.

Haha looks like they have a replacement Belkar.

Blaznak
2011-08-07, 11:37 PM
Just Awesome.

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-07, 11:37 PM
This is significantly more awesome than I'd anticipated! Sure, people had tossed around the idea of V using some spell to mind-control the other guy (what initial is he again? Yakyak? Yukyuk? Whatever), but I didn't imagine him flying around aiming arrows like that!
Yukyuk said it himself. Gotta be within thirty feet to Sneak Attack.

Shatteredtower
2011-08-07, 11:40 PM
And the crowd goes wild.

Well done.

Acero
2011-08-07, 11:45 PM
And that's how its done :smallbiggrin:

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 11:46 PM
Someone with a TvTropes account needs to go add something to the CMoA page. Under the Vaarsuvius folder, I think.

It's there (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Awesome/OrderOfTheStick) already???:smallconfused: That happened WAY too fast. (It was me! I posted it!)

Quayleman
2011-08-07, 11:47 PM
I continue to enjoy V acting intelligent

Morquard
2011-08-07, 11:48 PM
OMG, absolutely awesome comic.

Yes V just realised that wizards have weaknesses, and magic can't solve everything. Sometimes you just need to borrow a kobold.

HZ514
2011-08-07, 11:50 PM
Completely awesome, Giant! I dunno if the Giant was responding to / lampshading the forum thread about Belkar's eventual replacement (I'd like to think he was) but it was perfect either way.

Also, I absolutely love how it's literary convention to portray flashbacks of events that took place in full color in (some degree of) black-and-white. I mean, does your memory work that way? :smalltongue:

ORione
2011-08-07, 11:50 PM

I added V's line in panel two to Sophisticated As Hell (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SophisticatedAsHell).

Kairamek
2011-08-07, 11:51 PM

I've heard of that one. It's in the "Literary Dramatica" rule supliment. Metamagic: Hush, It Made for a Good Panel Spell
Prerequisite: Spell Caster, Writing A Scene
Allows the Author to make slight modifications to spell effects and casting times if it makes for a damn good scene/panel.

t209
2011-08-07, 11:53 PM
Behold, a Kobold gun.

Whiffet
2011-08-07, 11:54 PM
It's there (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Awesome/OrderOfTheStick) already???:smallconfused: That happened WAY too fast.

Really? I gotta check.

Ugh, you're right. I guess it deserves it, but still. I kind of shudder every time something is added to that page. I mean, this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0791.html) is there. It could stand to have been removed when five strips later showed how tame it was.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-07, 11:55 PM
I added V's line in panel two to Sophisticated As Hell (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SophisticatedAsHell).

You work way too fast.

MoonCat
2011-08-08, 12:00 AM
It's there (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Awesome/OrderOfTheStick) already???:smallconfused: That happened WAY too fast.

It wasn't when I was there, but now it is, good.

Oh yeah, awesome. Didn't even think of that.

Really? I gotta check.

Ugh, you're right. I guess it deserves it, but still. I kind of shudder every time something is added to that page. I mean, this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0791.html) is there. It could stand to have been removed when five strips later showed how tame it was.

Ugh, really? That's just a good opponent, not a Crowner. although I do think that the strip itself gets a CMoA for there once having had to be a note at the top saying that tropers weren't allowed to add a Crowner for every new update.

SPoD
2011-08-08, 12:10 AM
In Zzidrit's head, They have an archer. Should I prepare Protection from Arrows? NAH! I'll just prepare Flesh to Stone instead!

Protection from arrows would be less-than-useless against Haley. It provides DR 10/magic against arrows, and Haley certainly has a magic bow. And so does Yukyuk, if the two "pop!" effects in panel 3 are any indication.

Stoneskin would have been a little more useful, as it's DR 10/adamantine...but it's a higher level spell and requires diamond dust, something we've seen is in short supply around here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0677.html)

Ekul
2011-08-08, 12:18 AM
This may be one of my favorite comics of yours- I actually felt very excited during this one- and that's not something that happens to me often in web comics.

I love creative solutions. Only problem is, now the only person "guarding" all the treasure is Mr. Scruffy, who is slightly preoccupied with avoiding death. Unless V used telekinesis to fill 'er up again.

Blisstake
2011-08-08, 12:19 AM
Not to mention she could have picked up some adamantite arrows sometime (she's got a lot of arrows in that bag). She should have learned by now to carry some around since she hates DR so much (with Samantha and Leeky's hawke)

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-08, 12:24 AM
she hates DR so much (with Samantha and Leeky's hawke)
She says it outright when facing Xykon's zombie dragon.

Lucas
2011-08-08, 12:27 AM
Does this confirm Z's barred schools to be Enchantment and Necromancy?

Cause I swear I remember it being confirmed that they were two of Illusion and the above ones. And Phantasmal Killer is Illusion.

Kingscourt
2011-08-08, 12:31 AM
This was excellent, go V!

Really excited to see the next few updates, I want to see how the Oots manages to beat the Linear guild, I get the feeling there's going to be a big reveal towards the end of this battle...

Messenger
2011-08-08, 12:31 AM
I love this update. I love that last line so much. And if you think about it, the short dual-wielding murderer department is practically standard in most speculative fiction groups/teams- but the Giant's way of putting it is most concise and witty.

Wolverine. WoW Rogues. Byron of Guilded Age. Thaco of Goblins.

Yep, it's now an official position and title for teams of adventurers. :smallbiggrin:

Anarion
2011-08-08, 12:53 AM
Wow, this strip...I'm at a loss for words. I'll just quote V.
:vaarsuvius:Perfection

In art style, I liked that when V says that YukYuk is no longer resisting the mental commands, we can see that YukYuk now has the angry eyebrows as he's firing at Z. Nice little detail.

I'm pretty worried though. I think Sir Scraggly might still be chasing Mr. Scruffy, and if Sir Scraggly is threatened within earshot of YukYuk, that could be enough to break the domination.

MoonCat
2011-08-08, 12:55 AM
I'm pretty worried though. I think Sir Scraggly might still be chasing Mr. Scruffy, and if Sir Scraggly is threatened within earshot of YukYuk, that could be enough to break the domination.

Sir Scraggly had been told to gone on ahead by Yukyuk, so unless he goes back I don't think so. And Mr. Scruffy heard Yukyuk tell him where to go, so there's an added advantage.

Anarion
2011-08-08, 12:59 AM
Sir Scraggly had been told to gone on ahead by Yukyuk, so unless he goes back I don't think so. And Mr. Scruffy heard Yukyuk tell him where to go, so there's an added advantage.

I hope you're right. Mr. Scruffy is still close by, and I'm just imagining a perfect storm of Belkar and both animals coming together, but it's possible that Sir Scraggly lost the scent or went the wrong way.

Gwynfrid
2011-08-08, 01:04 AM
Like others said: Awesome fabulous astounding fantastic strip.

Intelligence + spells + irony = This is why V is my favorite character.

Asthix
2011-08-08, 01:09 AM
Perfection.

Kojiro
2011-08-08, 01:22 AM
Well, I was half-right on V's plan. The half that wasn't right wasn't as good as this, though, so that's acceptable. Also, to parrot V, and a good many of the posters in this thread, "Perfection."

JSSheridan
2011-08-08, 01:26 AM
Thanks Giant!

Who knew V was into Domination?

voiceofreason
2011-08-08, 01:31 AM
Alan Rickman has gotta be the Voice of V in the OOTS movie.

Nevereatcars
2011-08-08, 01:33 AM
Oh, hell yes.

Snowfall
2011-08-08, 01:36 AM
Sheer, double-fisted, awesomeness...

Soranar
2011-08-08, 01:37 AM
First thought

"I have a kobold and I'm not afraid to use it"

Second thought

"Do you feel lucky?"

stormtemplar
2011-08-08, 01:39 AM
That Was Awesome!

Kancsar
2011-08-08, 01:39 AM
Great episode

Zimmerwald and snails mentioned v's use of break enchantment as a counterspell and seem to wonder why v didn't just use it to unstone Haley. But break enchantment specifically fails to undo flesh to stone, doesn't it? (due to spell level (l-e-v-e-l)).

DreadArchon
2011-08-08, 01:45 AM
Hahaha, awesome page. Really great. :smallbiggrin:

Kancsar
2011-08-08, 01:46 AM
But in the annals of oots, v used break enchantment to free Celia in #70 ( after z used flesh to stone), so looks like snail has an interesting point ( if casting time isn't an issue)

MoonCat
2011-08-08, 01:53 AM
Alan Rickman has gotta be the Voice of V in the OOTS movie.

<swoons>

When I come too I'll make some argument about how Rickman's voice is definitely not gender neutral, but I think I'll need to have a brain opertaing on more than one emotion first. :smallwink::smalltongue::smallredface:

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-08, 01:56 AM
<swoons>

When I come too I'll make some argument about how Rickman's voice is definitely not gender neutral, but I think I'll need to have a brain opertaing on more than one emotion first. :smallwink::smalltongue::smallredface:

Wait, wasn't Alan Rickman Snape? Huh... then again, he was in Sweeney Todd...and that was awesome. Gee. Its hard to think of an argument against him.

JSSheridan
2011-08-08, 02:01 AM
Great episode

Zimmerwald and snails mentioned v's use of break enchantment as a counterspell and seem to wonder why v didn't just use it to unstone Haley. But break enchantment specifically fails to undo flesh to stone, doesn't it? (due to spell level (l-e-v-e-l)).

No, and we've had this discussion so many times.

790, panel 2. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0790.html)

Golden-Esque
2011-08-08, 02:03 AM
Wow, Z just took 7 bolts, two of which were sneak attacks. He's got to be almost out of hp.

The verbosity is awesome.

I could be mistaken, but considering that Yukyuk has a dog, I don't think he's a Rogue (though being a multiclass Ranger / Rogue instead of Ranger / Barbarian would be a nice counterpart to Belkar). It also goes without saying that if he's Belkar's opposite, he probably has Favored Enemy (halfling), so who knows how effective these attacks actually are.

Echon
2011-08-08, 02:12 AM
Wisdom makes Vaarsuvius dangerous. This update is all I had hoped for for #800.

Petrocorus
2011-08-08, 02:24 AM
Awesome strip. I love when V use his intelligence.

And i love that last panel.

I think it is because xe's quoting a swear that makes it so hilarious, xe said damnations last strip.

"xe"?
Seriously?!

Well it's about time V started playing to his/her 18 int. Though granted, preparing nothing but "Spell Resist: Yes" spells probably wasn't a great idea in the first place.

But he did prepare several buff and utility spell. So he hasn't so many spell slot left.

I wanted but got heavily ninja'd troper'd.

factotum
2011-08-08, 02:32 AM
Does this confirm Z's barred schools to be Enchantment and Necromancy?

Cause I swear I remember it being confirmed that they were two of Illusion and the above ones. And Phantasmal Killer is Illusion.

I don't know where you got that impression--the only *confirmed* barred school we have for V is Conjuration, which he says himself in #340. Given that the Soul Splices appeared to be chosen to compensate for V's weaknesses, and one of them was a Necromancer, it seems likely his other barred school was Necromancy, but it's certainly not guaranteed that's the case.

(And why would you think V has *3* barred schools, not 2? :smallconfused:).

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-08, 02:35 AM
Awesome strip. I love when V use his intelligence.

"xe"?
Seriously?!
I wanted but got heavily ninja'd troper'd.

yes, xe. I prefer V personally, sounds almost the same.
Yeah, It was up there in an hour of the comic being up.:smallannoyed: (I did it, it was me. But someone fixed my confusion over if it was a brickjoke or callback)

StrykerX
2011-08-08, 02:36 AM

Well, he probably would be if they weren't hand crossbow bolts... seven of those things are almost as lethal as a good solid punch in the nose. Almost. :smallyuk:

(A Small hand crossbow does 1d3 damage, so let's hope YukYuk is packing some decent magic bolts or this could go on for a while...)

Conuly
2011-08-08, 02:41 AM
"xe"?
Seriously?!

Yes, seriously. The word even predates OotS, although you likely will only occasionally have a chance to use it outside of the comic (and half the time when you DO have a chance to use it, the person in question prefers a different pronoun, or spells it with a z, but that's beside the point).

It's a word designed to fill in the gap of not having a gender-neutral third-person pronoun for human beings. Well, aside from singular they, that is.

(Frankly, if we're going to go around making up pronouns, I'd rather add a fourth-person pronoun and an additional we (to make the difference between inclusive and exclusive, of course) as well as straightening out what on earth we do with plural you. Youse, y'all, yinz, I don't care, but I'd like one universal option! But that's also beside the point.)

Edhelras
2011-08-08, 02:44 AM

When I first saw this strip, I didn't actually spot Yukyuk. I thought V had got himself a machine gun. Meh, I thought, did you really need to introduce modern weaponry just in order to let the Order win, Rich? LOL, what a fantastic idea. I do wonder, though, if Yukyuk should be counted as an improvised weapon?

BTW, I haven't checked the speculations on V's stats, but when I play an Elven wizard, I frequently give them quite a good DEX for AC, and then I equip them with longbows to be "in style", so actually they can at least at low levels be quite effective as archers when they run out of attack spells.

thereaper
2011-08-08, 02:54 AM
This strip was at least 10 different kinds of awesome.

Although I can't help but find myself wondering about the potential (read: unlikely) implications of that last panel...

Nerdanel
2011-08-08, 02:57 AM
Our drow demonstrates that great defenses don't matter much without credible offense. V is doing tiny damage per round with Yukyuk, but somehow Zzt'dri is failing to do any damage at all. Back when he was doing damage he did so very little of it. There should have been enough time to kill V several times over with level-appropriate rocket tag had the drow prepared the spells for it.

Theory:
Zzt'dri is being dominated to make him fight on the side of the Linear Guild. He doesn't really want to kill V and is in fact making will saves against fighting. That's why he doesn't act on some turns. Perhaps Zzt'dri also has prepared his spells for the day to appear to be combat efficient to someone like Nale, but really he just wants to get out alive.

...In fact, this might not be the real Zzt'dri that was taken by the lawyers but the non-drow elf he initially appeared to be, currently under Alter Self to fit Nale's paradigm of evil opposites.

The Succubus
2011-08-08, 03:39 AM
I'm confused.

When did V take Weapon Proficiency: Kobold Ranger? :smallconfused:

QDI
2011-08-08, 03:58 AM
Excellent Comic !

Thanks Giant !

Silverraptor
2011-08-08, 04:03 AM
"I believe he just stopped resisting to any commands I have given him to shot you."

I was laughing so hard at this.:smallbiggrin: It was also really nice to see Varrsuvius actually using his newfound knowledge he learned from Xykon to good use.:smallamused:

H Birchgrove
2011-08-08, 04:04 AM
I could be mistaken, but considering that Yukyuk has a dog, I don't think he's a Rogue (though being a multiclass Ranger / Rogue instead of Ranger / Barbarian would be a nice counterpart to Belkar). It also goes without saying that if he's Belkar's opposite, he probably has Favored Enemy (halfling), so who knows how effective these attacks actually are.

Yeah, Yukyuk is a multi-classed Ranger/Rogue; he did sneak-attack after all.

Edit: BTW, great page.

DrGonzo
2011-08-08, 04:05 AM
How very cool!

whitelaughter
2011-08-08, 04:27 AM
...Have we found Belkar's replacement?

I certainly hope so! An excellent choice, I wanted him to kill Belkar, but replacing him would an even more exquisite revenge! :D

Kurald Galain
2011-08-08, 04:52 AM
Every learned wizard knows that kobold = power.

maxon
2011-08-08, 04:59 AM
Right tool for the job - snerk. One of your best puns for a while Giant.

I think I enjoyed this one from beginning to end. "Continue this ratio of effectiveness to chatter, and I shall see if I cannot open up a position in our short Duel-Wielding Murderer department." Just great.

squidbreath
2011-08-08, 05:15 AM
has to be one of the lulziest weps in this series, next to to the flamy skull.

And @ the crack pairings people - new dom!V ship anyone?

Mercenary Pen
2011-08-08, 05:16 AM
I'm confused.

When did V take Weapon Proficiency: Kobold Ranger? :smallconfused:

V didn't. V took Weapon Proficiency: Dominated Fool.:smallwink:

Kato
2011-08-08, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the comic, Giant!

Well... don't know what to say... too much greatness in this simple page :smallbiggrin:
'Sneak attack, bitch!'

ArcaneSaint
2011-08-08, 05:20 AM
Nice one. Reminded me of this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html), with the whole "using your enemy as living ranged weapon".

Klytus
2011-08-08, 05:21 AM

Agreed. We used to call it "Phantasmal Failure" in our games.

tis_tom
2011-08-08, 05:50 AM
V is just beyond awesome in this strip- he/she continues to be my favourite character by far!

factotum
2011-08-08, 05:51 AM
BTW, I haven't checked the speculations on V's stats, but when I play an Elven wizard, I frequently give them quite a good DEX for AC, and then I equip them with longbows to be "in style", so actually they can at least at low levels be quite effective as archers when they run out of attack spells.

"At low levels". V is around level 14 or 15, and against the sort of opponents he'd be facing, a longbow would be pretty useless. He also said something along the same lines himself back in strip #452:

"There is a vast gulf between being proficient in a weapon and being good with a weapon.".

ThePhantasm
2011-08-08, 05:52 AM
Prediction: Belkar shows up and messes up V's plan by killing YukYuk.

voiceofreason
2011-08-08, 05:52 AM
<swoons>

I reckon Alan could whistle up a suitably ambiguous contralto V -- stock in trade for the Classical Actor.

Durinix
2011-08-08, 05:58 AM
Registered just to say this page was awesome. The dialogue in the last four panels was particularly fantastic.

suszterpatt
2011-08-08, 06:00 AM
I'd just like to say that the second panel is one of the best in the entire comic so far.

K_liu
2011-08-08, 06:05 AM
How can people consider Yukyuk for a new party member when he attempted against Mr. Scruffy's life!

Plus,

Was Yukyuk intended to fight versus Elan? Durkon? The plan is going to fail due to a kobold lack of compromise (why the hell pursuit a cat?) Guess Nale couldn't predict that Elan was going to escape, or maybe he deliberatly gave orders so that could happen?

dps
2011-08-08, 06:32 AM
I don't know where you got that impression--the only *confirmed* barred school we have for V is Conjuration, which he says himself in #340. Given that the Soul Splices appeared to be chosen to compensate for V's weaknesses, and one of them was a Necromancer, it seems likely his other barred school was Necromancy, but it's certainly not guaranteed that's the case.

(And why would you think V has *3* barred schools, not 2? :smallconfused:).

Lucas was talking about Z's barred schools, not V's.

And "two of Illusion and the above ones" means 2 out of the 3 mentioned, not all 3.

Anyway, loved the line about "I believe he just ceases his struggles against my mental commands to shoot you".

ThePhantasm
2011-08-08, 06:41 AM
How can people consider Yukyuk for a new party member when he attempted against Mr. Scruffy's life!

Are people taking that joke literally? V is manipulating YukYuk, and is thus comparing him to Belkar, who he can't manipulate and who he hates. It is clearly a joke based in V's sarcastic brand of humor. It doesn't mean that YukYuk will replace Belkar in any way.

K_liu
2011-08-08, 06:47 AM
Are people taking that joke literally? V is manipulating YukYuk, and is thus comparing him to Belkar, who he can't manipulate and who he hates. It is clearly a joke based in V's sarcastic brand of humor. It doesn't mean that YukYuk will replace Belkar in any way.

Definetly he won't, but I got surprised that few seemed to believe/want that (or I failed to see the sarcasm on All of the jokes)

And if Nale hoped Elan to flee is still crossing my mind.

HandofShadows
2011-08-08, 07:05 AM
Winning the fight and quoting a Haley at the same time. A great page all around! :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2011-08-08, 07:18 AM
This one got me. I figured we would see a standard regrouping and switcharoo of oots members so they could fight a different opponent each, but this way is much better.

Akeii
2011-08-08, 07:30 AM
This strip marks the point where I've completely fallen for V.

Hazelnut
2011-08-08, 07:53 AM
Oh, sublime. Ranks alongside the Belkar's angel in a straitjacket!

:smallbiggrin:

Adeptus
2011-08-08, 08:02 AM
That is utterly awesome!

I did not expect to see that, but in hind sight I should have seen it coming. Excellent job mr Burlew.

super dark33
2011-08-08, 08:03 AM
Thats. just. AWOSOM!

faustin
2011-08-08, 08:09 AM

A subtle joke of Mr. Rich, about the whole "Belkarīs replacement"?:smallbiggrin:

Izar Goldbranch
2011-08-08, 08:11 AM
Not that I'm an expert on this, but isn't there a feat that allows you to counter spell with other spells from the same school?

Yep. Improved Counterspell. And even if he was using Dispel Magic to counterspell, there's no chance of it breaking the dominate for two reasons: The spell is affecting Yukyuk, not Z, and using Dispel to counterspell only affects the spell being cast. It has no other effect.

Is Z capable of casting Protection from Arrows?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see he didn't prepare it.

It probably wouldn't have helped, anyway. Prot Arrows gives DR 10/Magic vs ranged attacks. At this level, I am sure YukYuk's bolts are magical (especially if they have the returning property, as someone suggested).

I want to echo my praise for this comic. I love when V gets serious and really uses his brain. Sometime, he seems to forget how smart he is (low wisdom?) which makes moments like these even more awesome.

Awesome strip, Giant.

SamBurke
2011-08-08, 08:14 AM
HA HA! And the battle looks up.

But nothing surprising or out of the ordinary for 800. How odd.

hamishspence
2011-08-08, 08:18 AM
Strip 700 was the same way- neither something super-special, nor specifically lampshading the fact that nothing special was happening, the way 100 and 600 did.

Maybe this trend will continue?

Kain05
2011-08-08, 08:32 AM
That was V's best strip ever, great strip Giant.

Tundar
2011-08-08, 08:37 AM
Oh yes. Yes yes yes.

Edit: Yes.

Indeed so.
Only think I have to add is another YES!

Gorbad Ironclaw
2011-08-08, 08:38 AM
Vaarsuvius at his best is downright scary. Also, I think that this is the only X00 comic with a large fight scene in it (correct me If I'm wrong). Bravo, Giant, BRAVO!

Midnight_v
2011-08-08, 08:46 AM
Hmm...
It irked me. His commentary on the wizard strengths v. weaknesses. Highly polarizing that line. He did say it was "difficult" and not "impossible" to defend against every attack simultaneously. I'm not sure if the author was trying to weigh in on those many many conversations, of Wizard power intentionally or not.
In the end though it does paint Varsuvious in the "Batman Wizard" category, and bravo for that.
I've always like him, but there defining moment of "V" was "Disentergrate. Gust of Win. Now, can we please get back to saving the world?"
It is cool to imply that V just wants belkar to shut up. LOL.
Speaking of which. Thats my peace for now.
Great Strip though.

Raimun
2011-08-08, 08:50 AM
That... was awesome!

If only V found an another crossbow dual wielding Rogue so that he could dual wield the Rogues.

Timeless Error
2011-08-08, 08:50 AM
That was awesome. Not unexpected, but still awesome.

EDIT:

Vaarsuvius at his best is downright scary. Also, I think that this is the only X00 comic with a large fight scene in it (correct me If I'm wrong). Bravo, Giant, BRAVO!

Except for 200 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html).

otakufan
2011-08-08, 08:55 AM
It was theorized that V would do something along the lines of dominating Yukyuk, but that doesn't make this any less awesome.

:vaarsuvius:: By all means, feel free to attempt to murder your own ally. I believe he just ceased his struggles against my mental commands to shoot you.

:smallbiggrin:

Asgardian
2011-08-08, 09:03 AM
Nice...
V and Roy are both using their brain and not just their build in the fight now.

sihnfahl
2011-08-08, 09:05 AM
Sometime, he seems to forget how smart he is (low wisdom?) which makes moments like these even more awesome.
V has a decent wisdom, but V's ego sometimes gets the better of V. It took the fight with Xykon to show V that.

V's attitude, prior, tended to be of the 'if this stick doesn't do it, let me get a bigger stick!'

Instead of 'let me poison the end of the stick and jab it through this here hole in their armor...'

Scrynor
2011-08-08, 09:05 AM
Mad props on not just doing the opponent switch-up. V would never admit he can't win. That strip was a great twist on the classic solution to evil opposites and much more in character. Bravo.

So are we officially adding improved counterspell to Vs feat list now or is this still not sufficient proof? We've seen hir counterspell a few times so Vs clearly is fond enough of the tactic to have taken it. I think hir having lied about not having break enchantment prepared (and choosing not to help his friend Haley) is pretty absurd. That leaves dispel magic but improved counterspell just feels more right to me (especially with the number of counters s/he threw down on Samantha...).

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 09:13 AM
Again, guys.

Wind. Wall.

It stops all non-extraordinary projectiles (read: magic or giant boulders). One use of that and Z would have laughed at V's inneffectiveness.

Or V would have just gotten closer and let the kobold shish-kebab the drow to death in melee.

Scrynor
2011-08-08, 09:33 AM
Wind wall? He's planning on fighting V. They fly practically all the time. That wind wall would be left behind in no time. Also, there is all of 1 person who uses arrows in OOTS and she's also second-in-command (and the leader is in the arena). I think just taking her out was a much better plan than wind wall. Additionally, Z almost never uses evocation.

Demonic1000
2011-08-08, 09:37 AM
Great comic, I was giddy throughout the entire sequence.

V has a decent wisdom, but V's ego sometimes gets the better of V. It took the fight with Xykon to show V that.

V has definitely gotten wiser from the entire soul splicing episode. Maybe not in ability points, but wiser nevertheless.

Again, guys.

Wind. Wall.
Who memorizes Wind Wall?

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 09:37 AM
If his intent was to humiliate and keep V busy, he didn't really need to move. But it could have been a good precaution to take in case Haley had somehow made her save.

Then again, it COULD be one of his banned schools. Everyone knows you can do blasting with Conjuration too. :smallwink:

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 09:40 AM
Who memorizes Wind Wall?

I do. It's the biggest giant middle finger to ranged attackers ever. Except for giants.

It also protects against gas-based attacks, which is pretty handy if you're up against a black dragon, a gorgon (you know, those big noxious-fume spewing bulls), or even a plain ol' wizard with access to Cloudkill...

silversaraph
2011-08-08, 09:43 AM
Wow, everyone guessed that one. Awesome, though... I missed V being effective.

ORione
2011-08-08, 09:43 AM
If his intent was to humiliate and keep V busy, he didn't really need to move. But it could have been a good precaution to take in case Haley had somehow made her save.

Then again, it COULD be one of his banned schools. Everyone knows you can do blasting with Conjuration too. :smallwink:

He has Wall of Ice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html).

factotum
2011-08-08, 09:46 AM
V's attitude, prior, tended to be of the 'if this stick doesn't do it, let me get a bigger stick!'

Specifically, it had to be an arcane magic stick...V pre-Xykon fight would never have remotely considered that a non-magic-user might have an answer where his own magic did not.

Kuroimaken, Z was going to be fighting V. He knows he doesn't have Cloudkill because Conjuration is one of his barred schools, and where would he find a friendly gorgon or black dragon to fight on his behalf (especially since Familicide)? Simple fact is, Wind Wall would be an utterly wasted spell in the anti-V matchup that Z was expecting.

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 09:46 AM
He has Wall of Ice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html).

Good point. And since Illusion should be one of his other banned schools...

...wait a second, he used Phantasmal Killer.

The Wall of Ice could very well be Shadow Conjuration'd. I know I wouldn't scream out loud that I was using an illusion spell. Would you?

Blisstake
2011-08-08, 09:49 AM
Again, guys.

Wind. Wall.

It stops all non-extraordinary projectiles (read: magic or giant boulders). One use of that and Z would have laughed at V's inneffectiveness.

Or V would have just gotten closer and let the kobold shish-kebab the drow to death in melee.

Sure, Z uses Wind Wall.

V moves past the Wind Wall and has Yuk Yuk fire. Moving past a wall doesn't automatically place you in meele... not that it would matter. Z doesn't even use those things.

Shale
2011-08-08, 09:51 AM
Just to check - can V order Yukyuk to disbelieve the Phantasmal Killer, or does Domination not extend that far?

silversaraph
2011-08-08, 09:53 AM
Also, V USED A PRONOUN. He says, "A wizard's strength is his ability to prepare different spells each day, but it is also our weakness". V has always used "Their", even though it is grammatically correct when talking of a group that can be "he"/"she". What changed? What happened to the Vaarsuvius I used to know? This is unacceptable! :smalleek:

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 09:54 AM
Specifically, it had to be an arcane magic stick...V pre-Xykon fight would never have remotely considered that a non-magic-user might have an answer where his own magic did not.

Kuroimaken, Z was going to be fighting V. He knows he doesn't have Cloudkill because Conjuration is one of his barred schools, and where would he find a friendly gorgon or black dragon to fight on his behalf (especially since Familicide)? Simple fact is, Wind Wall would be an utterly wasted spell in the anti-V matchup that Z was expecting.

His failing was definitely that he was too focused on the duel with V to foresee anything remotely resembling the semi-automatic kobold. True, that spell would be wasted on a duel with V, but to quote Z, "Who said that this was a duel?"

Come to think of it, I'm guessing he expected to use Yukyuk as backup, so if he used Wind Wall, he would be messing with the kobold's ability to attack V as well (V could simply go back and forth between sides of the wall to avoid Yukyuk's attacks, and since Wind Wall picks up Tiny and Small creatures, Yukyuk would have trouble getting around the wall to attack too). It is fairly noteworthy that he didn't do a whole lot of attacking in this duel so far, whereas Yukyuk Sneak Attacked V a number of times before the elf used Stoneskin and flew out of his range.

rewinn
2011-08-08, 09:55 AM
Haha, I saw the charm spell coming, but not the mobile kobold gun.

That's the 1st time I've seen a Chekov's mobile kobold gun! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun?from=Main.ptitlexn9xzsjd5fif)

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 09:57 AM
Also, V USED A PRONOUN. He says, "A wizard's strength is his ability to prepare different spells each day, but it is also our weakness". V has always used "Their", even though it is grammatically correct when talking of a group that can be "he"/"she". What changed? What happened to the Vaarsuvius I used to know? This is unacceptable! :smalleek:

Wizard in this sentence is singular, so it has to default to a he anyway (since the word is a male noun). Just because V's a Wizard doesn't mean that using "he" to refer to a Wizard makes V a he.

...man this gender-neutral stuff cramps my brain.

Agi Hammerthief
2011-08-08, 10:08 AM

The Wall of Ice could very well be Shadow Conjuration'd. I know I wouldn't scream out loud that I was using an illusion spell. Would you?
evil opposite: no banned schools at all?

Demonic1000
2011-08-08, 10:14 AM
...man this gender-neutral stuff cramps my brain.

Agreed.

I don't usually play a Cleric, but when I do, I enjoying Searing Light

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 10:20 AM
evil opposite: no banned schools at all?

True. Then again, he could have banned schools with opposite purposes.

Example: we never see V use Necromancy. Necromancy is an awesome school for debuffing. Conversely, Transmutation is great for buffing.

Though he DID use Flesh to Stone, which as I recall is a Transmutation spell. So either the "no banned schools" theory is true, or I'm wrong about V having Necromancy as a banned school. Or it's a completely different criteria.

joela
2011-08-08, 10:25 AM
Now THAT'S using intelligence. (Too bad most players consider WoW the epitome of roleplaying :smallfrown:)

Agi Hammerthief
2011-08-08, 10:34 AM
do we have a tread to determine the ratio of "strip awsomness" to "x"
where x ist the first digit in front of all 0's in the strip number?

Kuroimaken
2011-08-08, 10:34 AM
Now THAT'S using intelligence. (Too bad most stupid players consider WoW the epitome of roleplaying :smallfrown:)

Fixed that for you...

Squeejee
2011-08-08, 10:44 AM
I take back everything I've ever said about V's incompetence. That strategy is too awesome for words.

WickedWizard17
2011-08-08, 10:54 AM
SNEAK ATTACK, BITCH!

Awesome comic. I was hoping for something longer/more cataclismic for #800, but I guess that was just too obvious xD I miss Haley though! And what's happening with Elan? He's fighting Nale and Sabine, of all people! It's been too long, and I miss the blonde hunk of bardic love!

Wonton
2011-08-08, 10:59 AM
Great comic. A little surprising to see Z using Phantasmal Killer, though. Considering V has access to 8th-level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0716.html) spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/powerWordStun.htm), and Z is supposed to be equal to him in power, expecting any serious results from a 4th-level spell seems kind of silly to me.

Edit: Then again, if you're going use to Phantasmal Killer on anyone, it would be a Rogue (low Fort/Will).

WeLoveFireballs
2011-08-08, 11:03 AM

My party once gave the boss monster a heart attack...
It was awesome.

Agi Hammerthief
2011-08-08, 11:05 AM
so does it still count as his lucky day?

and did V stop to fill the bag of holding again?

the suspension is killing me :smallwink:

Gift Jeraff
2011-08-08, 11:09 AM
Also, V USED A PRONOUN. He says, "A wizard's strength is his ability to prepare different spells each day, but it is also our weakness". V has always used "Their", even though it is grammatically correct when talking of a group that can be "he"/"she". What changed? What happened to the Vaarsuvius I used to know? This is unacceptable! :smalleek:The big surprise with #800: Vaarsuvius reveals his gender. :smallwink:
Though he DID use Flesh to Stone, which as I recall is a Transmutation spell. So either the "no banned schools" theory is true, or I'm wrong about V having Necromancy as a banned school. Or it's a completely different criteria.V's barred schools are conjuration and necromancy. Signs point to Z being a transmuter with enchantment and necromancy as his barred schools.
Edit: Then again, if you're going use to Phantasmal Killer on anyone, it would be a Rogue (low Fort/Will).Yukyuk calls himself a ranger (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html), so he should have good fortitude saves. I think Z resorted to it because both V and Z are running low on spells from the duel. EDIT: Also, drow have a +2 level adjustment, so Z may not have 8th-levels but V's "of equal level" comment could still hold true. Not that that detracts from your point.

WickedWizard17
2011-08-08, 11:10 AM
Would anybody else like to see more of the far-out classes in here? I mean, Elan's got the Dashing Swordsman, which I think Rich actually made up specifically for him, but still! I like playing a lot of the more out-there classes - I mean, one of my primary characters is a pirate!

Maralais
2011-08-08, 11:10 AM
I hereby declare this strip a crowning moment of awesome.

And Belkar's substitute seems to be found a bit too fast, apparently.

MoonCat
2011-08-08, 11:15 AM
"xe"?
Seriously?!

I was juust about to go to bed, I utterly forgot about my favored 'V', and just randomly trawled my memory for some other neutral term. I know it's not as cool, but give me some slack, it was 11:48. :smallwink:

I reckon Alan could whistle up a suitably ambiguous contralto V -- stock in trade for the Classical Actor.

Really? This is Alan Rickman, he has one of the most recognizably MALE voices possible. A British accent for V, yes, but I'd rather put skill points in gender ambiguity than freaking-awesome-but-utterly-unambiguous.

Is this really a large fight scene? It just is part of a fight scene that was going on already, I think.

True. Then again, he could have banned schools with opposite purposes.

Example: we never see V use Necromancy. Necromancy is an awesome school for debuffing. Conversely, Transmutation is great for buffing.

Though he DID use Flesh to Stone, which as I recall is a Transmutation spell. So either the "no banned schools" theory is true, or I'm wrong about V having Necromancy as a banned school. Or it's a completely different criteria.

I think in commentary Rich said Z was a Transmuter.

ORione
2011-08-08, 11:16 AM

Z hasn't used Enchantments or Necromancy, as far as I and the Class and Geekery thread know.

baerdith
2011-08-08, 11:16 AM
Well done!!

Logalmier
2011-08-08, 11:45 AM
Using kobolds as weapons. Classic.

vindicatorex
2011-08-08, 12:08 PM
First thought

"I have a kobold and I'm not afraid to use it"

Second thought

"Do you feel lucky?"

should we just skip right to "say hello to my little friend!"?

or perhaps it should read "say hello to *your* little friend!"..

LibraryLifeform
2011-08-08, 12:11 PM
Awww YEAH.
Thank you for this strip, Giant, you made my day.

Mordaenor
2011-08-08, 12:22 PM
1) That was awesome.
2) I can't believe that actually worked
3) Any comic featuring V using the phrase "Sneak Attack, bitch" gets an A+ in my book.

Scrynor
2011-08-08, 12:33 PM
Does anyone else really hope Z gets away?

It's funny because despite the evil opposites Z really does seem to share character flaws with V. Like pride. Until now he has always seemed more concerned with throwing his superiority in V's face than he has with defeating/killing V. I really hope that next time around (if there is one) we'll get to see a murderous Z really going after V instead of just toying with hir.

MoonCat
2011-08-08, 12:39 PM
Not really Scrynor, I don't find Z to be a three dimensional character, not that that's bad in this case, but this is one enemy who I just want get defeated without sympathy, restraint, or anything else really except V (and whoever else joins that fight) being absolutely badass.

I do see that Z has pride, but it isn't really enough to make me want to keep him around.

neoseph7
2011-08-08, 12:39 PM
Pure epic perfection. While V is known for making long winded explanations, it's awesome to see him/her dominate the entire comic his/her unique banter. In addition to dominating the kobold, though I admit, unlike other members of the ensemble (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0521.html), he seems like the type to willing to be dominated.

Tobimaro
2011-08-08, 12:43 PM
Now that is more like it. I, like a fair number of people felt that V would have taken on the Kobold. Re-purposing the Kobold as an anti-wizard weapon is priceless! :smallbiggrin:

I'll have to remember that one for the next time I'm playing a wizard in a D&D campaign.

leakingpen
2011-08-08, 12:50 PM

semi aquatic non mammal with a full time job?

Metahuman1
2011-08-08, 12:54 PM
Silly drow, Tricks are for V!

There is nothing as cool as watching the wizard outsmart his opponent instead of just blasting them!

deuxhero
2011-08-08, 12:59 PM
Huh, I thought Z's banned schools included evocation, I checked and it's between Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy.

See Z? This is why you carry scrolls!

Deliverance
2011-08-08, 12:59 PM
I wonder if that counts as wielding an improvised weapon for V.

deuxhero
2011-08-08, 01:05 PM
Doesn't matter. Improvised weapon penalties are just the non-proficient ones restated IIRC. As a Wizard, I doubt V would ever be proficient (Is it a dagger, light/heavy crossbow, longsword or short/long bow?).

Needle
2011-08-08, 01:16 PM
I know it was (probably) said before, but what V did out there was brilliant <3

legomaster00156
2011-08-08, 01:27 PM
I am satisified deeply with V's use of intellect. I would not mind, though, if Z became a core member of the LG.