PDA

View Full Version : Alter self or Wings of Cover?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-07, 11:43 PM
I am building a gish and at this level I only have 1 2nd level spell known (Sorcerer based)

Which is a better option Alter self or Wings of Cover?

This guy is a Dragonwrought Kobold BTW

peacenlove
2011-08-08, 12:23 AM
Dragonblooded characters can share Wings of cover with the rest of the party so it is a superior choice to my book. However I would wait a few levels before I get that since Alter self has a decent duration and provides you with stats/forms not easily found elsewhere. Also at lower levels there are not many dangerous single target effects that can't be dealt with good saves and/or other less exotic defenses.

Depends on your spell list, if you have many standard action buffs skip alter self, else take it.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-08, 12:25 AM
Right now my Spell list is

Fist of Stone
Shield
Nerverskitter
Mage Armor (Rite of Draconic Passage)

And I als have access to Shocking Grasp, Chill touch, ray of enfeeblement and swift expeditous retreat

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-08, 12:28 AM
If you really need early personal flight, go alter self. Otherwise, I'd get Wings of Cover first, Alter Self definitely second. Note that a Wyrmling Shadow Dragon has +7 NA and essentially maximum fly speed.

Ranos
2011-08-08, 12:35 AM
From your use of Fist of stone, I assume your gish uses natural weapons. In that case, I'd recommand alter self. It gets you an okay defense, fly speed, and a hell of a lot of natural weapons to go with it.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-08, 12:37 AM
I plan to use Fist of stone for the Strength bonus, + 6 for a minute seems quite good.

Daftendirekt
2011-08-08, 01:12 AM
If you really need early personal flight, go alter self. Otherwise, I'd get Wings of Cover first, Alter Self definitely second. Note that a Wyrmling Shadow Dragon has +7 NA and essentially maximum fly speed.

Yeah, keep in mind that since you're a dragon, Alter Self lets you turn into other dragons, not humanoids like most races.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-08, 02:06 AM
Ya alter self is just too tasty not to get. It also has a long duration so you won't need to cast it as much.

faceroll
2011-08-08, 02:28 AM
White dragon wyrmlings have burrow, fly, and swim speeds.