PDA

View Full Version : First-time playing D&D. Need advice for Scout.

Swiftx71
2011-08-08, 02:03 AM
Hey, everyone. As the title states, I'm a new player (and poster to these forums, for that matter) and I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some tips, advice, or other useful information related to what sort of things I should be doing when playing as my party's Scout. I'm going to be providing a lot of character information so this post could get pretty long, but you don't really need to read it all--it's just for your ease of reference.

I will place a TL;DR at the bottom to make things easier.

Though this is my first time playing D&D (as it is for a couple of us in the group), our DM has been really helpful and I've lately been nerding-out over a bunch of Manuals, Supplement Books, Wikia articles, and forum posts from several different sites so I -think- I have at least a loose grasp on what I'm doing--but despite any reading I might do from the official books and such, I think the best strategies would come from experienced players themselves.

So with that out of the way, here's how things are set up so far--in case you'd need to know a few specifics about our party/campaign.

Campaign:
I'm fairly sure it's a Homebrew Plot with some influence taken from other things. It revolves around a large adventuring guild--based in a city founded on the idea of many-different guilds in one place--that wants to pioneer the fame and fortune from the world's latest great achievement: Gaining free access to numerous other worlds. For different reasons, our characters have signed up with the guild and ended up being matched together as a Squad to undertake quests on behalf of the guild.
NOTE: Psionics are banned by our DM.

Our Party (Currently we are all Level 2 aside from the Drow due to their Level Modifier):
At the current time, our party consists of,
A Half-Elf Rogue (Planning to become an Assassin. As such, he's of an evil alignment but has some more friendly tendencies when he can be bothered to show them. This doesn't stop him from Sleight of Hand-ing treasure though.)

A Human Cleric (War and Healing domain; neutral and about the only character that mine really gets along with so far.)

A Drow Ranger (Evil, forced out of his home by a raid, plans on obtaining power through the guild's quests to seek revenge on its attackers later on. Hates surface-elves and plans on focusing on dual-wielding scimitars and using a Giant Scorpion as a pet.)

A Drow Wizard (Female character played by a male. I'm not really sure if he's going to play with us for long, he seemed more interested in screwing around and making female-stereotype jokes [such as insisting on using spot-checks to examine women's shoes and wanting bathroom breaks in the middle of sneaking into someone's house] but he's here for now. Seems to tolerate surface elves and is really naive.)

A Human Fighter (He isn't with us just yet since he started putting together his character then went on a 2-week vacation to Alaska suddenly. That said, I don't know much about his character other than the fact that he apparently has a -5 INT score.)

And finally, me, a High-elf Scout. (Lawful Neutral with Chaotic-Good tendencies. Very open-minded and adaptive with his own morals and cultural beliefs to save-face among the outside world--else the Isolationist community from which he comes from/represents may come under hostilities from those who might easily overpower them. Joined the guild to spread the knowledge he finds in the other worlds to his community once he returns.)

I picked Scout because I have an affinity towards sneaky, agile damage-dealers in any sort of RPG, but my friend already got dibs on Rogue. My usual alternative is then a Ranged-damage role but we already had a Ranger (despite the fact that he uses scimitars) and I wanted to be diverse/fill a niche in our party.

My idea in mind was to try and build my Scout with Attack Bonuses in mind so that he would serve as a source of frequent and reliable damage-output/ranged support while still being able to serve as my party's Forward-Most member to warn them of approaching danger before any of us are seen. Does this sound like a good idea, or would there be a better approach I could go with?

Here is how my character is set up so far:
Class/Level: Scout 2
Race: High-Elf
Alignment: Lawful neutral (Chaotic Good tendencies)
Religion: Ehlonna

Ability Scores [Modifier]
STR 15 [+2]
DEX 18 [+4]
CON 9 [-1]
INT 15 [+2]
WIS 16 [+3]
CHA 9 [-1]

BAB = +1
HP = 13 Total

Saves
Fort. 0
Ref. 6
Will. 3

Armor
Leather

AC
Base 16
Touch 14
Flat-Footed 12

Weapons
Masterwork Composite Longbow +1 (+1 STR modifier)
Longsword
Dagger

Feats
1st Level: Nimble (+1 to DEX and DEX-related Skills)

Skill Ranks (Only class-skills are shown. Cross-class skills have not been taken.)
Balance 5
Climb 0
Craft 0
Disable Device 0
Escape Artist 4
Hide 5
Jump 4
Knowledge Dungeoneering 0
Knowledge Geography 4 (Picked this due to small details in his backstory to stay in-character.)
Knowledge Nature 0
Listen 5
Move Silently 5
Ride 0
Search 4
Sense Motive 0
Spot 5
Survival 4
Tumble 5
Use Rope 0

Feat Outline
(I've been trying to plan out what feats I should take at what levels to get to my more-important Feats first. Here are two I have in mind so far, let me know what you think. Levels in parenthesis are levels in which Scouts get Bonus Feats and must be selected from a limited list of feats.)

#1.
1. Nimble
3. Point Blank Shot
(4.) Dodge / Expeditious Dodge
6. Rapid Shot
(8.) Mobility
9. Manyshot
12. Greater Manyshot
(12.) Shot on the Run
(16.)
(20.)

#2. (Assuming I can pick up a Mobility Armor Enchantment before level 12.)
1. Nimble
3. Point Blank Shot
6. Rapid Shot
(8.) Improved Skirmish
9. Manyshot
12. Greater Manyshot
(12.) Shot on the Run
(16.)
(20.)

Other feats that I found to seem useful [In no particular order]
(Let me know what you think of these of if you have any you'd like to add.)
-Precise Shot
-Improved Precise Shot
-Woodland Archer [Tactical]
-Quick Reconnoiter
-Freerunner
-Able Sniper
-Darkstalker

Skill-Tricks I'm considering
-Back on Your Feet
-Tactile Trapsmith
-Spot the Weak Point
-Extreme Leap
-Collector of Stories

As for multi-classing or PrCing, I'm utterly clueless as to what would work best. I had considered Arcane Archer, Darkwood Stalker, Highland Stalker, and Justice of Weald and Woe (adapted to fit our setting), but I'm not sure if any of them would be really more advantageous than a 20th level Scout. I would definitely be grateful to hear about other options in this regard that may perform better than going with a pure scout.

So, that's about it o.o Let me know what you think, what you would change/add/remove, and anything else that might prove useful to a new player ^^

TL;DR
I'm a new D&D Player on his first campaign. I've done Play-by-Post roleplaying for years prior so I'm quickly grasping the mechanics as we go, but I'm--nevertheless--inexperienced.

I am currently playing a level 2 High-Elf Scout and would like useful information regarding what Item, Skill, Feat, Class, etc. investments would be best for synergizing with Scout. Note that Psionic classes, feats, etc., are banned from our campaign unless I can make a good argument in favor of a few to my DM, adapting them slightly in the process.

I would like to build my character to focus on higher Attack Bonuses, activating Skirmish, and being able to serve as a utility to my party when out of combat if possible.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Greenish
2011-08-08, 02:21 AM
CON 9 [-1]Ouch. You go adventuring with that? :smalltongue:

1st Level: Nimble (+1 to DEX and DEX-related Skills)I don't know where you found that, but it looks distinctly 3rd party. It's not very good, either.

6. Rapid Shot
(8.) Mobility
9. Manyshot
12. Greater Manyshot
(12.) Shot on the RunDodge -> Mobility -> Shot on the Run chain is pretty poor, you only get one shot, you want more.

-Precise Shot
-Improved Precise Shot
-Woodland Archer [Tactical]
-Quick Reconnoiter
-Able Sniper
-DarkstalkerThose are pretty good.

As for multi-classing or PrCing, I'm utterly clueless as to what would work best.Fear not, for I come bearing a name, and that name is Swift Hunter (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0).

It's a feat from Complete Scoundrel, one you will learn to love. It allows you to stack Ranger and Scout levels for Skirmish damage and Favoured Enemy, and you get skirmish damage on favoured enemies even if they're normally immune to it.

Swiftx71
2011-08-08, 03:30 AM
The CON -1, unfortunately, is a side-effect of my racial modifiers. With a Cleric and later a Fighter to hide behind though on top of my movement bonuses, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem though so long as I stay out of the open as much as possible.

I think Nimble came from the D&D wikia, so you might be right. In the event I can pull the "I'm a noob and I messed up, can I change it?" routine with my lax DM, what would you advise that I take instead?

As for Shot on the Run, I pulled that idea from a Scout Handbook from the same site you linked me to about the Swift Hunter. I forgot that I still needed to talk to the DM about this, but the idea is that some DMs allow Scouts to other feats during the "Standard/Attack action" phase of Shot on the Run.
What this means that, if allowed, I could do the following:

(Assume I have at least Shot on the Run, Greater Manyshot, and Improved Skirmish, and Scout's 40ft. landspeed for this scenario)
1. I declare that I'm using Shot on the Run.
2. I move 20ft. to activate Improved Skirmish
3. I use Greater Manyshot to attack. Attack rolls, damage rolls, and precision damage are applied to each arrow fired individually. To put it simply, I have the potential of hitting a single target with multiple arrows, each dealing additional skirmish damage.
4. After attacking, I can then move the rest of my landspeed (20ft. in this case) back into cover, effectively performing a strafing attack given the room to do so.

Anyway, I'll definitely look into Swift Hunter. Though, after skimming over it a bit, I'm not sure just how viable it would be with the character I've already started. It recommends against using High-Elves and I would take penalties due to having Wizard as their Favorite Class, not ranger.

On top of that, we already have a ranger, and I'd like to avoid over-lapping specific class-abilities if I can help it.

Greenish
2011-08-08, 03:47 AM
1. I declare that I'm using Shot on the Run.
2. I move 20ft. to activate Improved Skirmish
3. I use Greater Manyshot to attack. Attack rolls, damage rolls, and precision damage are applied to each arrow fired individually. To put it simply, I have the potential of hitting a single target with multiple arrows, each dealing additional skirmish damage.
4. After attacking, I can then move the rest of my landspeed (20ft. in this case) back into cover, effectively performing a strafing attack given the room to do so.That's three feats for a rather situational thing. You could just as well take Travel Devotion (Complete Champion, move your speed as a swift action for 1min/day) three times. Better yet, cleric dip (you get extra uses by burning Turn Undead uses, and you can get it as a bonus feat).

I'm not sure just how viable it would be with the character I've already started.You're only level 2, and you can't take the feat without 3 levels in scout and at least one in ranger. You've plenty of time.

It recommends against using High-ElvesMost every handbook recommends against elves, since they've the con penalty. And they cause cancer.

and I would take penalties due to having Wizard as their Favorite Class, not ranger.You use multiclassing penalties? Well, that can be fixed, too. Unearthed Arcana has Additional Favored Class feat, which does exactly what it sounds like.

On top of that, we already have a ranger, and I'd like to avoid over-lapping specific class-abilities if I can help it.Overlap what? Both Scout and Ranger are already wilderness-specialized skill types. You'd be using very different combat style, preparing different spells, and animal companion you can swap for Solitary Hunter (PHBII, every enemy you attack is considered flanked) which is excellent for your allies.

Of course, it's your character, you know what you want out of it better than I do so feel free to ignore me. :smalltongue:

Dark Kerman
2011-08-08, 05:09 AM
If it's your first go, I might recommend not playing something like scout, archery got sort of... butchered in 3.5. :smalltongue:

Of course, if your heart is set on it from an RP perspective be my guest. :smallsmile:

If however what you want is stealth, try a beguiler (magic and rogueing), you will fill a slightly different niche to him. Or even a bard (I bet that isn't said often) Party buffs are really useful. Of course, if you can't swap characters, then I do believe I am talking out of me rear end. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-08-08, 05:14 AM
Or even a bard (I bet that isn't said often)You'd lose that bet. :smallamused:

But no, as awesome as they are, I wouldn't recommend a bard for the first timer. It wants quite a bit of book diving, for one, and isn't that straightforward to play.

Dark Kerman
2011-08-08, 07:19 AM
You'd lose that bet.

*sigh* When I get one, I owe you a internet. ¬¬ (Yes, i'm a deadbeat).

Darrin
2011-08-08, 08:35 AM
Most every handbook recommends against elves, since they've the con penalty. And they cause cancer.

Oh, come on... you can fix the Con penalty with Dragonborn of Bahumat (Races of the Dragon p. 8, +2 Con /-2 Dex). There's also the Arctic racial template in Dragon #306 (+2 Con/-2 Cha). Arctic Fire Elves are dabomb.

And Elves are ideal for a 1-level Cloistered Cleric dip because they can pick up Point Blank Shot (Elf domain), Travel Devotion (move + full attack for 10 rounds/day), and Knowledge devotion (free skill check for bonus damage) by worshiping Sehanine Moonbow.

You use multiclassing penalties? Well, that can be fixed, too. Unearthed Arcana has Additional Favored Class feat, which does exactly what it sounds like.

I believe Arctic template also changes your favored class to Ranger. But it sounds like the character background is already set, so probably not an option. Scout 4/Ranger 5/Highland Stalker 10/Something +1 might work. Maybe check and see if Peerless Archer (Silver Marches p. 115) is available for Power Shot (Power Attack for bows).

I've worked out a couple Swift Hunter builds that can get skirmish damage up to 10d6, but it involves several different PrCs (Dragon Devotee, Unseen Seer, Highland Stalker) and is probably a lot more complicated than what you're looking for.

Swiftx71
2011-08-08, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I'm going to have a long talk with my DM next time I get the chance about all this.

So far it seems we've been talking a lot about feats and what sort of multi-classing I should shoot for. If you have more to add, feel free, but I just wanted to mention again that I have other questions as well...

Such as items.
I've found a few neat magic items on my own that I've wrote down for future reference once I start making enough money to actually afford it/am high-enough level to find it as loot, but I was wondering if you guys knew of any particularly awesome items for a character that primarily uses bows. That, or if there are some essentials I should try to grab at Level 2 that I might not have considered.

As of right now, my total list of equipment is as follows:
-Traveler's Outfit
-Masterwork Composite Longbow (STR mod +1)
-Longsword
-Dagger
-Leather Armor
-Backpack
-Pouch
-Waterskin
-Bedroll
-Flint+Steel
-Bullseye Lantern
-Soap
-Journal (backstory item)
-Map/Scroll Pouch
-Quiver and Arrows
-Trail bars
-Ink
-Oil

Recent Loot:
Tanglefoot Bag x2
Mage Armor Potion x2
Masterwork Longbow +1

Is this pretty standard, or am I missing something important/have too much? I know that if you add up everything there I'm a little over-weight, but I plan on selling a few things that I don't need to bring myself back to a light load once we get back to town.

Big Fau
2011-08-08, 05:08 PM
Oh, come on... you can fix the Con penalty with Dragonborn of Bahumat (Races of the Dragon p. 8, +2 Con /-2 Dex)

Elves are a horrible option for Dragonborn because you lose the other racial traits. You'd be a Human who took a feat that gave him either Darkvision, a Breath Weapon, or a minor Fly speed.

Seriously, why play that when you be made of metal?

There's also the Arctic racial template in Dragon #306 (+2 Con/-2 Cha). Arctic Fire Elves are dabomb.

...So you are suggesting using a template on a subpar race to make it less subpar? A template from Dragon mag no less?

Have you no shame?

Swiftx71
2011-08-08, 08:33 PM
Elves are a horrible option for Dragonborn because you lose the other racial traits. You'd be a Human who took a feat that gave him either Darkvision, a Breath Weapon, or a minor Fly speed.

Seriously, why play that when you be made of metal?

...So you are suggesting using a template on a subpar race to make it less subpar? A template from Dragon mag no less?

Have you no shame?

er- I take it I should avoid those kinds of things (unless the person who mentioned them can give good reasoning, of course.)

Urpriest
2011-08-08, 09:03 PM
I second the Highland Stalker build. You're not likely to level up all the way through Highland Stalker, so it gets rid of your multiclassing penalties, gives you the same Skirmish and Base Attack Bonus of a typical Swift Hunter, and really the only thing you'd be losing in comparison to a normal Swift Hunter are the Ranger spells, which would probably be a hassle for you anyway.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-08, 09:06 PM
There are very few viable options for archers. Swift Hunter + Greater Manyshot is one of them.

In brief, Greater Manyshot allows you to apply precision-based damage on every shot in a manyshot, rather than simply one of them as per normal volley rules.

This lets you move 10', then take a standard action to Greater manyshot and get nearly a full round of attacks on someone.

Travel Devotion is better, because it lets you move 10' as a swift action, then you get your full attack progression, which can include things like a bonus attack from Haste. But if your GM is leery of Complete Champion material, Greater Manyshot is at least on the SRD.

Kaje
2011-08-08, 09:07 PM
Elves are a great recipient for Dragonborn. Those racial features are lousy anyway. Not as good as a dragonborn warforged or goliath, but it's still a definite improvement over the base race.

Swiftx71
2011-08-08, 09:35 PM
I second the Highland Stalker build. You're not likely to level up all the way through Highland Stalker, so it gets rid of your multiclassing penalties, gives you the same Skirmish and Base Attack Bonus of a typical Swift Hunter, and really the only thing you'd be losing in comparison to a normal Swift Hunter are the Ranger spells, which would probably be a hassle for you anyway.

Do you mean the...

"Scout 4/Ranger 5/Highland Stalker 10/Something +1"

...build?

If so, any chance you should shed some light on how, exactly, I should build this, and what the Pros and Cons for it might be as opposed to doing something like Scout 5/Ranger 15 like it suggests in the Swift Hunter handbook?

In general--for anyone that posts--the more hand-holding the better in your explanations. I don't know enough just yet to simply look at a few classes with numbers next to them to know exactly what the build is going for off the top of my head.

Big Fau
2011-08-08, 09:36 PM
Elves are a great recipient for Dragonborn. Those racial features are lousy anyway. Not as good as a dragonborn warforged or goliath, but it's still a definite improvement over the base race.

Except you are spending 100gp to be a Human with a very specific bonus feat (essentially Shape Soulmeld for one of three options, pun not intended).

er- I take it I should avoid those kinds of things (unless the person who mentioned them can give good reasoning, of course.)

The real reason to avoid it is it doesn't provide you with any real benefits. If you wanted Flight, be a Raptorian. If you wanted the Breath Weapon, you should actually use Dragonborn with Dwarf or Warforged (and even then, you don't really benefit from it since you are a Scout). If you want the Blindsense, Scout 18 gives it to you.

Really, there's no reason to be an Elf, especially not a Dragonborn Elf. Not even Cloistered Cleric 1, since Ranger levels give that to you for free and are a bit better because of Swift Hunter.

Cloistered Cleric (or Cleric in general) is a wonderful 2 level dip if you plan on entering Prestige Ranger though.

Scaliburn
2011-08-08, 09:55 PM
Wait, I could be wrong, but dont characters normally only get feats at 1,3,6,9, etc.? Your feat progression shows getting feats at every even level.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-08, 10:03 PM
Wait, I could be wrong, but dont characters normally only get feats at 1,3,6,9, etc.? Your feat progression shows getting feats at every even level.

Scouts get bonus feats.

Scaliburn
2011-08-08, 10:05 PM
Oh, sorry. My mistake. But on the first feat progression, it looks like he skipped level 3.

Swiftx71
2011-08-08, 10:11 PM
Oh, sorry. My mistake. But on the first feat progression, it looks like he skipped level 3.

You're right! Total typo, my bad. I'll go fix in a minute.

Greenish
2011-08-08, 10:36 PM
I believe Arctic template also changes your favored class to Ranger.Arctic, no. Wild does.

the only thing you'd be losing in comparison to a normal Swift Hunter are the Ranger spells, which would probably be a hassle for you anyway.If those are a hassle, what a sweet hassle they are…

But yeah, if you don't want spells, you can survive without.

Really, there's no reason to be an ElfThere is exactly one reason to be an elf. Valenar.

Cloistered Cleric (or Cleric in general) is a wonderful 2 level dip2 level dip?

Big Fau
2011-08-08, 10:46 PM
There is exactly one reason to be an elf. Valenar.

Negative. Valenar is awesome, some Elves cannot be by nature.

I am thoroughly convinced that whatever they are, natives of Valenar are not Elves by definition.

2 level dip?

Note that I said PrC Ranger. BAB requirements. Scout 4/Cleric 2/PrC Ranger 14 with the Swift Hunter feat, Animal domain, and Travel Devotion. Cloistered Cleric if Knowledge Devotion is desired.

5th level Divine spells, Skirmish as a 18th level Scout, a decent Animal Companion, and a solid array of options.

Darrin
2011-08-09, 10:59 AM
Do you mean the...
"Scout 4/Ranger 5/Highland Stalker 10/Something +1"

Race: Human, Silverbrow Human, Azurin, or Strongheart Halfing
1) Scout 1. Feat: Point Blank Shot. Bonus: Travel Devotion. Skirmish +1d6.
2) Ranger 1. Bonus: Track.
3) Ranger 2. Feat: Precise Shot. Bonus: Rapid Shot.
4) Scout 2.
5) Scout 3. Skirmish +1d6+1AC
6) Ranger 3. Feat: Swift Hunter. Bonus: Endurance. Skirmish +2d6+1AC.
7) Scout 4. Bonus: Improved Skirmish. Skirmish +2d6+2/+4d6+4AC.
8) Ranger 4. Bonus: Manyshot (use the Champion of the Wild ACF in Complete Champion)
9) Ranger 5. Feat: Greater Manyshot. Skirmish +3d6+2AC/+5d6+4AC.
10) Highland Stalker 1.
11) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish +4d6+2AC/+6d6+4AC.
12) Highland Stalker 3. Feat: Penetrating Shot (PHBII).
13) Highland Stalker 4. Skirmish +4d6+3AC/+6d6+5AC.
14) Highland Stalker 5.
15) Highland Stalker 6. Feat: Improved Rapid Shot (Complete Warrior). Skirmish +5d6+3AC/+7d6+5AC.
16) Highland Stalker 7.
17) Highland Stalker 8. Skirmish +5d6+4AC/+7d6+5AC.
18) Highland Stalker 9. Feat: Travel Devotion (you can take it more than once).
19) Highland Stalker 10. Skirmish +6d6+4AC/+8d6+6AC.
20) Horizon Walker 1. Desert terrain = immune to fatigue.

Pro Tip: Swift Hunter does more than just stack Ranger/Scout levels for skirmish. It also allows you to deal skirmish damage to enemies that would normally be immune to it, namely: constructs, elementals, plants, oozes, and undead. You get two favored enemy picks, one at Ranger 1 and the second at Ranger 5. Undead and constructs (golems) are by far the most common and/or dangerous, and are more likely to be threats throughout your entire adventuring career. So I advise taking those two as your favored enemies. Plants tend to be very rare, but are almost always flammable. Oozes tend to be extremely dangerous only when they surprise you, otherwise they're usually slow enough you can just walk around them. Put enough ranks in Spot and Knowledge: Dungeoneering and you can handle most oozes. Elementals can get pretty scary at higher levels, but they almost always have a built-in vulnerability to some type of energy damage.

Alternate Class Features (ACFs):

ACFs allow you to swap some of your class abilities for different abilities, and rangers have the most ACFs of any class in the game.

I mentioned the Champion of the Wild ACF above, which lets you swap your spellcasting abilities for bonus feats at Ranger 4th, 8th, 11th, and 14th level. While this lets you grab Manyshot early (and take Greater Manyshot at 9th level instead of 12th), and removes the complexity of spellcasting, it's a bit of a nerf (less powerful option) since there are some really, really great Ranger spells in the Spell Compendium (1d4 rounds of haste as a swift action, anyone?). Even having only 1st-level spell slots allows a Ranger to use wands, so you can give him a wand of cure light wounds and he can be a back-up healer in a pinch.

There are two other ACFs in Complete Champion that are worth considering. The next one is Spiritual Connection, which replaces your Wild Empathy class feature. Some DMs may treat it differently, but in my experience Wild Empathy is completely useless. It basically tells you "the bear is angry" (which is immediately obvious) or "the bear is hungry" (i.e., same as angry). Yes, you can try to use it like diplomacy to change the attitudes of animals, but most DMs have better things to do than calculate the attitudes of animals. Spiritual Connection gives you speak with animals or speak with plants 3/day, so you can just talk to the animal directly: "Hey, Mr. Bear, just chill... we're only passing through. Want some food?" It also takes a lot of guesswork out of Track, Spot, Search, or Animal Empathy rolls: "Hey, Mr. Shrub, did you see a horde of orcs go through here? Carrying two hobbits? Oh, sweet! Thanksabunch!"

Spiritual Guide is the third Ranger ACF in Complete Champion, and it swaps your animal companion for a "spirit" that gives you a minor bonus on Handle Animal, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Search, Spot, and Survival checks (+1 per 4 ranger levels, round down). It also lets you cast commune with nature 1/day... which is can be extremely useful for scouting/recon work ("How many aberrations are nearby?", "Does this cave complex have any other entrances?", etc.).

However, the Discracting Attack ACF in PHBII is a much better deal for swapping your animal companion: whenever you hit an enemy (melee or ranged), treat it as flanked until it gets hit by one of your allies or until the start of your next turn. The Ranger's animal companion starts out weak and never gets much stronger, since your effective druid level for determining your Animal Companion's abilities is only half of your ranger level, and this build never gets more than 5 ranger levels. So take that if you can.

There are two other notable ACFs. Arcane Hunter (in Complete Mage) lets you take Favored Enemy: Arcanists at 1st level. While this is probably the best general favored enemy you can take (anything that can cast arcane spells is going to be a viable threat for your entire career), it's not worth giving up skirmish damage on constructs or undead.

The other ACF is Trap Expert in Dungeonscape. This swaps Track with the rogue's Trapfinding ability. Track is sometimes sneeringly regarded as a useless flavor/filler feat. Many DMs don't put the time or effort into providing clues that could be found via track. Most of the information it can reveal is either immediately obvious (a 8000-pound rhino walked through here... do I *really* need to roll for that?) or completely useless ("Does the rhino have any treasure? No? Does it know where the princess is? No? Eff the rhino, we don't care."). If the information is something the Party really *needs* to know, then it's something the DM is going to tell you anyway or is easy enough to get without the pointless formality of a Track check. However, the ability to find and disable traps is extremely useful, particularly if the party rogue is unavailable. Unfortunately, you need Track as a prerequisite for Highland Stalker.

If so, any chance you should shed some light on how, exactly, I should build this, and what the Pros and Cons for it might be as opposed to doing something like Scout 5/Ranger 15 like it suggests in the Swift Hunter handbook?

Scout 5/Ranger 15 loses another point of Base Attack Bonus (BAB) but gains Evasion at Scout 5. While Evasion is undeniably cool/useful, you also get it at Ranger 9. I prefer Scout 4/Ranger 16 = +19 BAB.

In general--for anyone that posts--the more hand-holding the better in your explanations. I don't know enough just yet to simply look at a few classes with numbers next to them to know exactly what the build is going for off the top of my head.

The biggest headache for archery builds tends to be low damage output, particularly if they're shooting at anything with Damage Reduction. There are a gazillion-and-a-half ways to pump damage on melee attacks (particularly charging), not so much for ranged attacks.

Start with a mighty composite longbow, add the Elvencraft modification (300 GP, Races of the Wild p. 166) to allow it to threaten as a melee weapon, enchant it to +1 (+2000 GP), and add a Crystal of Acid Assault (3000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 64) for +1d6 [acid] damage. Add the Frost property when you can afford it (+6000 GP) for +1d6 [cold] damage. You can add +1d6 [electricity] damage with Bracers of Lightning (11000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 206). You can add [fire] and [sonic] damage with spells (burning sword and sonic weapon in the Spell Compendium). Then start saving up for the Splitting property (+3 enhancement, Champions of Ruin p. 42) or Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) (scribble something in your character background about your middle name is "Hank").

Arctic, no. Wild does.

Ah. Got it confused with the Desert-Dweller template (no ability modifiers, changes favored class to ranger).

Swiftx71
2011-08-09, 12:12 PM
Race: Human, Silverbrow Human, Azurin, or Strongheart Halfing
1) Scout 1. Feat: Point Blank Shot. Bonus: Travel Devotion. Skirmish +1d6.
2) Ranger 1. Bonus: Track.
3) Ranger 2. Feat: Precise Shot. Bonus: Rapid Shot.
4) Scout 2.
5) Scout 3. Skirmish +1d6+1AC
6) Ranger 3. Feat: Swift Hunter. Bonus: Endurance. Skirmish +2d6+1AC.
7) Scout 4. Bonus: Improved Skirmish. Skirmish +2d6+2/+4d6+4AC.
8) Ranger 4. Bonus: Manyshot (use the Champion of the Wild ACF in Complete Champion)
9) Ranger 5. Feat: Greater Manyshot. Skirmish +3d6+2AC/+5d6+4AC.
10) Highland Stalker 1.
11) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish +4d6+2AC/+6d6+4AC.
12) Highland Stalker 3. Feat: Penetrating Shot (PHBII).
13) Highland Stalker 4. Skirmish +4d6+3AC/+6d6+5AC.
14) Highland Stalker 5.
15) Highland Stalker 6. Feat: Improved Rapid Shot (Complete Warrior). Skirmish +5d6+3AC/+7d6+5AC.
16) Highland Stalker 7.
17) Highland Stalker 8. Skirmish +5d6+4AC/+7d6+5AC.
18) Highland Stalker 9. Feat: Travel Devotion (you can take it more than once).
19) Highland Stalker 10. Skirmish +6d6+4AC/+8d6+6AC.
20) Horizon Walker 1. Desert terrain = immune to fatigue.

Pro Tip: Swift Hunter does more than just stack Ranger/Scout levels for skirmish. It also allows you to deal skirmish damage to enemies that would normally be immune to it, namely: constructs, elementals, plants, oozes, and undead. You get two favored enemy picks, one at Ranger 1 and the second at Ranger 5. Undead and constructs (golems) are by far the most common and/or dangerous, and are more likely to be threats throughout your entire adventuring career. So I advise taking those two as your favored enemies. Plants tend to be very rare, but are almost always flammable. Oozes tend to be extremely dangerous only when they surprise you, otherwise they're usually slow enough you can just walk around them. Put enough ranks in Spot and Knowledge: Dungeoneering and you can handle most oozes. Elementals can get pretty scary at higher levels, but they almost always have a built-in vulnerability to some type of energy damage.

Alternate Class Features (ACFs):

ACFs allow you to swap some of your class abilities for different abilities, and rangers have the most ACFs of any class in the game.

I mentioned the Champion of the Wild ACF above, which lets you swap your spellcasting abilities for bonus feats at Ranger 4th, 8th, 11th, and 14th level. While this lets you grab Manyshot early (and take Greater Manyshot at 9th level instead of 12th), and removes the complexity of spellcasting, it's a bit of a nerf (less powerful option) since there are some really, really great Ranger spells in the Spell Compendium (1d4 rounds of haste as a swift action, anyone?). Even having only 1st-level spell slots allows a Ranger to use wands, so you can give him a wand of cure light wounds and he can be a back-up healer in a pinch.

There are two other ACFs in Complete Champion that are worth considering. The next one is Spiritual Connection, which replaces your Wild Empathy class feature. Some DMs may treat it differently, but in my experience Wild Empathy is completely useless. It basically tells you "the bear is angry" (which is immediately obvious) or "the bear is hungry" (i.e., same as angry). Yes, you can try to use it like diplomacy to change the attitudes of animals, but most DMs have better things to do than calculate the attitudes of animals. Spiritual Connection gives you speak with animals or speak with plants 3/day, so you can just talk to the animal directly: "Hey, Mr. Bear, just chill... we're only passing through. Want some food?" It also takes a lot of guesswork out of Track, Spot, Search, or Animal Empathy rolls: "Hey, Mr. Shrub, did you see a horde of orcs go through here? Carrying two hobbits? Oh, sweet! Thanksabunch!"

Spiritual Guide is the third Ranger ACF in Complete Champion, and it swaps your animal companion for a "spirit" that gives you a minor bonus on Handle Animal, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Search, Spot, and Survival checks (+1 per 4 ranger levels, round down). It also lets you cast commune with nature 1/day... which is can be extremely useful for scouting/recon work ("How many aberrations are nearby?", "Does this cave complex have any other entrances?", etc.).

However, the Discracting Attack ACF in PHBII is a much better deal for swapping your animal companion: whenever you hit an enemy (melee or ranged), treat it as flanked until it gets hit by one of your allies or until the start of your next turn. The Ranger's animal companion starts out weak and never gets much stronger, since your effective druid level for determining your Animal Companion's abilities is only half of your ranger level, and this build never gets more than 5 ranger levels. So take that if you can.

There are two other notable ACFs. Arcane Hunter (in Complete Mage) lets you take Favored Enemy: Arcanists at 1st level. While this is probably the best general favored enemy you can take (anything that can cast arcane spells is going to be a viable threat for your entire career), it's not worth giving up skirmish damage on constructs or undead.

The other ACF is Trap Expert in Dungeonscape. This swaps Track with the rogue's Trapfinding ability. Track is sometimes sneeringly regarded as a useless flavor/filler feat. Many DMs don't put the time or effort into providing clues that could be found via track. Most of the information it can reveal is either immediately obvious (a 8000-pound rhino walked through here... do I *really* need to roll for that?) or completely useless ("Does the rhino have any treasure? No? Does it know where the princess is? No? Eff the rhino, we don't care."). If the information is something the Party really *needs* to know, then it's something the DM is going to tell you anyway or is easy enough to get without the pointless formality of a Track check. However, the ability to find and disable traps is extremely useful, particularly if the party rogue is unavailable. Unfortunately, you need Track as a prerequisite for Highland Stalker.

Scout 5/Ranger 15 loses another point of Base Attack Bonus (BAB) but gains Evasion at Scout 5. While Evasion is undeniably cool/useful, you also get it at Ranger 9. I prefer Scout 4/Ranger 16 = +19 BAB.

The biggest headache for archery builds tends to be low damage output, particularly if they're shooting at anything with Damage Reduction. There are a gazillion-and-a-half ways to pump damage on melee attacks (particularly charging), not so much for ranged attacks.

Start with a mighty composite longbow, add the Elvencraft modification (300 GP, Races of the Wild p. 166) to allow it to threaten as a melee weapon, enchant it to +1 (+2000 GP), and add a Crystal of Acid Assault (3000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 64) for +1d6 [acid] damage. Add the Frost property when you can afford it (+6000 GP) for +1d6 [cold] damage. You can add +1d6 [electricity] damage with Bracers of Lightning (11000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 206). You can add [fire] and [sonic] damage with spells (burning sword and sonic weapon in the Spell Compendium). Then start saving up for the Splitting property (+3 enhancement, Champions of Ruin p. 42) or Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) (scribble something in your character background about your middle name is "Hank").

Thank you very much--this will help me out -a lot- when figuring out what to do each level. I don't think I even have any questions concerning it.

Oh, save for one. I haven't heard of/looked at Horizon Walker yet, but I'm assuming that you tossed it in there because Scout and Ranger don't get anything more useful out of their next levels. While not becoming fatigued in deserts sounds really handy in that situation, are you sure there's no better choice I could pick instead? Something with a more general utility or bonus?

Unless, of course, Horizon Walker gets something else aside from the Desert = No Fatigue feature. In which case, what does it get that makes it really good?

Greenish
2011-08-09, 12:18 PM
While not becoming fatigued in deserts sounds really handy in that situation, are you sure there's no better choice I could pick instead?Picking Desert as your Terrain Mastery means you're immune to fatigue (and anything that would cause exhaustion just fatigue you instead).

I think it's there because it's simple and easy to qualify for.

Given that you're 2nd level, I wouldn't worry too much about what to take for your 20th. :smalltongue:

Swiftx71
2011-08-09, 02:49 PM
Picking Desert as your Terrain Mastery means you're immune to fatigue (and anything that would cause exhaustion just fatigue you instead).

I think it's there because it's simple and easy to qualify for.

Given that you're 2nd level, I wouldn't worry too much about what to take for your 20th. :smalltongue:

Oh okay, so it's not restricted to deserts? Either way, it makes sense.

Anyway, aside from classes and levels and such, is there anything else that's sort of important that I should know about? I brought up a question about items before (so you could refer to that previous post), but I have another question on that subject.

Would a Greatbow be a better weapon overall than a Composite Longbow? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Greatbows get the same STR modifier thing that composite bows do, they fire further, do 1d10 damage instead of 1d8, and their only downside is that you can't use them while mounted.

Also, my friend was telling me about Bow Blades the other day too, but I haven't gotten the chance to look them up yet. Would tacking them onto an Elven-made bow (which lets you use it as a melee weapon and threaten attacks of opportunity) help out much?

Urpriest
2011-08-09, 03:05 PM
Without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow) feat you take a -4 penalty to hit with one, and one damage on average on every attack (1d10=5.5 average, 1d8=4.5 average) is not worth the feat.

Swiftx71
2011-08-09, 03:12 PM
Without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow) feat you take a -4 penalty to hit with one, and one damage on average on every attack (1d10=5.5 average, 1d8=4.5 average) is not worth the feat.

Oh right, I forgot about the proficiency.

There was an item though, Greater Bracers of Archery. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Greater_Bracers_of_Archery) That gives proficiency to all bow weapons (not including crossbows). If I so happened to pick one of those up, would it be worth it then, do you think?

Says it costs 25,000gp which seems like a lot from my point of view, but I'm not sure how easily money is to come across at later levels, on average.

Urpriest
2011-08-09, 03:18 PM
Oh right, I forgot about the proficiency.

There was an item though, Greater Bracers of Archery. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Greater_Bracers_of_Archery) That gives proficiency to all bow weapons (not including crossbows). If I so happened to pick one of those up, would it be worth it then, do you think?

Says it costs 25,000gp which seems like a lot from my point of view, but I'm not sure how easily money is to come across at later levels, on average.

First of all, I've never seen that item interpreted as giving access to anything beyond the PHB bows, but I see no reason why it wouldn't. However, the item also gives +2 to attack and +1 to damage if you're using a bow you already have proficiency with, so even with it a longbow would be better for you than a greatbow.

Vladislav
2011-08-09, 03:19 PM
Instead of spending multiple feats on Travel Devotion, take a level of Cloistered Cleric. Sure, you lose a point of BAB, but you gain three domains, and each can be traded for a Devotion.

Knowledge Domain --> Knowledge Devotion (get your point of BAB back with interest :smallsmile:)
Travel Domain --> Travel Devotion
Elf Domain --> Don't trade that one away, as it nets you Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat.

And if your Charisma isn't too horrible, you get enough Turn Undead attempts to reuse Travel Devotion one additional time per day. So effectively, a single level dip of Cloistered Cleric is the equivalent of four useful feats (Tr. Dev. x2 + Kn. Dev + PBS). Not too shabby.

Swiftx71
2011-08-09, 03:29 PM
First of all, I've never seen that item interpreted as giving access to anything beyond the PHB bows, but I see no reason why it wouldn't. However, the item also gives +2 to attack and +1 to damage if you're using a bow you already have proficiency with, so even with it a longbow would be better for you than a greatbow.

Oh I see--I read that part wrong (something I have a bad habit of doing :\). I was thinking "Oh hey, it makes me proficient with Greatbows so I get those benefits on it too!"

But in that case, Composite Longbows are definitely the better option then--which is nice, considering I've already got a Masterwork Composite Longbow already from the latest batch of enemies we just killed.

Speaking of Attack Bonuses though, do you think it would be wise to try and focus primarily on increasing it as much as possible given the choice between different sorts of magic items, etc.? I figured that since we already have a Rogue who plans on becoming an Assassin, a pure Ranger, and later a Fighter, I would try to focus on dealing reliable damage and picking off weakened enemies in lieu of their spike-damage and the Assassin's Death Attack.

If so, do you happen to know of any items that give Attack Bonuses? I've been having trouble finding them while doing my research.

Callista
2011-08-09, 03:43 PM
Lawful Neutral with Chaotic-Good tendencies. Very open-minded and adaptive with his own morals and cultural beliefs to save-face among the outside world--else the Isolationist community from which he comes from/represents may come under hostilities from those who might easily overpower them. Joined the guild to spread the knowledge he finds in the other worlds to his community once he returns.)

While I agree with the people who are saying "do something about that CON", I'm also kind of wondering how the RP is going. You didn't mention much about how that's working out; and really, that's at least half the fun of role-playing. Don't get complicated for your first guy. I didn't. My first one was a pyro halfling sorcerer who was out adventuring 'cause she was afraid she'd burn down her town if she didn't have something interesting to occupy her. Chaotic neutral, of course. (No, she did not randomly set things on fire without thinking first about whether anybody innocent was going to get in the way. That's chaotic stupid.)

Don't forget to RP. If you don't, it's little better than a board game, which is okay... but nowhere near as fun as creating a story.

Swiftx71
2011-08-09, 04:41 PM
While I agree with the people who are saying "do something about that CON", I'm also kind of wondering how the RP is going. You didn't mention much about how that's working out; and really, that's at least half the fun of role-playing. Don't get complicated for your first guy. I didn't. My first one was a pyro halfling sorcerer who was out adventuring 'cause she was afraid she'd burn down her town if she didn't have something interesting to occupy her. Chaotic neutral, of course. (No, she did not randomly set things on fire without thinking first about whether anybody innocent was going to get in the way. That's chaotic stupid.)

Don't forget to RP. If you don't, it's little better than a board game, which is okay... but nowhere near as fun as creating a story.

I've done Play-by-Post roleplaying on forums and such for years prior, so roleplaying has, of course, been something important to me. As such, I don't think I'm going to go as far as changing my race to hide some of my weaknesses as some posters have suggested--instead, for the case of getting 2 feats at level one for example, I'm going to pick up a trait or flaw that allows me access to one. In addition, my character is actually a character I developed for Play-by-Post RPs in the past that I've adapted to fit into the way D&D and our campaign works.

Since you seem interested though, I can give you some details on my backstory and how it's working out:

Basically, there were a few communities of elves--that were very friendly between one another and resided fairly close to each other--that have constantly been having trouble with other races and political powers near-by. Wanting to prevent war but keep from being annexed into the territory of these outside influences, they kept moving away to other locations--but it seemed that trouble always crept back up onto them eventually as territories expanded.

And so they eventually decided on a more extreme prevention of these outside influences that were bothering them: to combine their communities into one and move to the most remote yet hospitable location they could find and live in an isolationist society. From this point on, they called themselves the Hayth. However, there was some difficulty in deciding who would lead them, and as elves who can't agree with official decisions are wont to do, the potential leaders took their followers and left on their own. This effectively split the Hayth into eight separate communities.

Each community left to find their own havens as far away from the political (and sometimes imperial) influences of the rest of the world. Through magical means (Scrying or something--I never really specified in the D&D version due to having limited knowledge of how magic works, exactly) they were able to continue a very limited amount of communication--enough to know where each of them were established. Though then, through fear of their magic being intercepted by third parties, they ceased such long-distance interactions.

The Hayth realized the major flaw of Isolationism, however, in that they would develop at a much slower pace than the rest of the world. And if they were discovered once again, there was a fairly good chance they would be completely overrun because of this. In an effort to combat this flaw, the Haythian city-states routinely sent out able warriors armed with the memorized knowledge of the location of each of the other 7 communities on a Rite of Passage of sorts to become what they called Dryearcash (Champions of Fate, if my translations were correct). Before they left, each aspiring Dryearcash would receive an unfinished tattoo segment on the back of their wrist. Their goal in completing the Rite to was to gain the other 7 segments from the other city-states (which would eventually extend the tattoo to the shoulder) and then return to their home city. To receive a tattoo from the other communities, however, they would require a gift of knowledge, technology, and/or important news that would help them keep pace with the rest of the developing world.

Pre-Dryearcash traveling Haythian elves are responsible for representing their hidden communities. This is not to mean that they involve themselves in political affairs--in fact, it is the opposite. These elves are trained to save-face in every situation possible within their power, going so far as temporarily altering their alignment (though my character would always display his default alignment on Sense Motive checks/detect alignment spells and such) or worshiping other deities to fit in with the cultures they pass through if they would come off as an insult to them otherwise. This is to prevent the Hayth from receiving renewed conflicts or causing certain radical groups to want to seek out and destroy their communities due to some insult they've received from one of their soldiers. In addition, pre-Dryearcash soldiers almost always travel alone or with one other at most; otherwise, small roaming bands of elven soldiers might come off as threatening to some people.

Quite of these soldiers on their Rite of Passage never finish it. As traveling across the world to its most remote regions on the outskirts of civilization can prove to be dangerous, some of them perish along the way. Others through some sort of circumstance find something worth devoting their lives to that overshadows their dedication to their own people. Some become injured and can't continue their journey, and others may fall in love and choose to remain behind.
For someone who does achieve the status of Dryearcash though, every one of them becomes an extremely reknown figure in the history of their people and they are elevated in trust, worth, and status to a level directly below that of their leaders, and many times their leaders are accomplished Dryearcash themselves.

My character, Aueron Nisari (Silverdawn), is one such pre-Dryearcash soldier who just started his Rite of Passage and found his way back to the civilized "outside world." As such, he's a little awkward and extremely curious when it comes to the traditions and beliefs of other cultures. At most, he's only heard stories about some races (such as the Drow) and is a little naive about how true some of those stories are--he was a little shocked to be singled-out and threatened profusely by one such Drow Player Character we picked up, despite having never said anything bad to him, for example.

He's careful about what he says and what he does, and tries to keep his negative thoughts towards anyone/anything to himself unless they concern the safety of himself or the others in the party. This goes against what most elves are known for (expressing their emotions a lot), but it's due to the training he received in an effort to "save face" for the Haythian elves. He wants to believe that his loyalty to his people is unwavering to the point where he would take any matter that concerns them above any other, but after discovering so much about the world in such a short time already, he is unsure where his travels might lead him, and strives to keep an open mind.

And as I think I mentioned in my first post, Aueron joined the Adventuring Guild in an effort to pick up the gifts he'd need to present to the other Haythian communities from the other worlds. Since he knows this duty is important and time doesn't matter much to an elf, he sees this endeavor as one that could potentially help out his people in a really big way.

...I think that's about it o.o unless you'd like to know about something more specific.

Greenish
2011-08-09, 05:33 PM
Basically, there were a few communities of elves--that were very friendly between one another and resided fairly close to each other--that have constantly been having trouble with other races and political powers near-by. Wanting to prevent war but keep from being annexed into the territory of these outside influences, they kept moving away to other locations--but it seemed that trouble always crept back up onto them eventually as territories expanded.Sissies. They should've fought back, like real elves, and burned, pillaged and conquered the nations of the other races! /Valenar

Swiftx71
2011-08-09, 06:57 PM
Sissies. They should've fought back, like real elves, and burned, pillaged and conquered the nations of the other races! /Valenar

-Insert a sadface here because I needed to have at least 10 characters-

Big Fau
2011-08-10, 12:18 AM
Sissies. They should've fought back, like real elves, and burned, pillaged and conquered the nations of the other races! /Valenar

And they should have hired the nearby Dinosaur Cavalry as backup in case EPIC didn't work.

Greenish
2011-08-10, 12:24 AM
And they should have hired the nearby Dinosaur Cavalry as backup in case EPIC didn't work.What, no, they should have conquered and pillaged and burned that one too!

Big Fau
2011-08-10, 12:28 AM
What, no, they should have conquered and pillaged and burned that one too!

Well, then you have a case of EPIC VS Effing Metal, and EPIC will falter in the face of enough Effing Metal.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 12:30 AM
I feel a little lost >.>;

And I don't mean to be a jerk and interrupt the amusing conversation, but I'd kinda like the bump things back on topic o.o I had a couple questions a few posts back that didn't get answered yet if someone would like to help me out with them real quick.

Big Fau
2011-08-10, 01:01 AM
I feel a little lost >.>;

Halfings in Eberron are Effing Metal, because they canonically tame dinosaurs as mounts/pets.

Elves in Eberron fall under three categories: Drow (who are scorpion-themed and about 90% more badass than Greyhawk or Faerun Drow by virtue of not being led by Lolth), the Aerenal Elves (less-pansy Elves with a healthy dose of necrofantasia, not to be confused with necrophilia (though a corpse is fine too)), and Valenar Elves.

The latter category is EPIC because they can make Greyhawk ORCS crap their pants.

But I digress.

Speaking of Attack Bonuses though, do you think it would be wise to try and focus primarily on increasing it as much as possible given the choice between different sorts of magic items, etc.? I figured that since we already have a Rogue who plans on becoming an Assassin, a pure Ranger, and later a Fighter, I would try to focus on dealing reliable damage and picking off weakened enemies in lieu of their spike-damage and the Assassin's Death Attack.

If so, do you happen to know of any items that give Attack Bonuses? I've been having trouble finding them while doing my research.

The best options for boosting your attack rolls are feats, and those are very limited. Knowledge Devotion is good because it can provide up to a +5 on both attacks and damage rolls, despite requiring a skill check.

Other than that, the feat Shape Soulmeld can provide the Sighting Gloves soulmeld, but that involves Incarnum and is not only complex, it takes a non-trivial of effort to make it worth using.

Finally, the Swift Hunter feat. While it doesn't provide bonuses on it's own, it allows you to multiclass into Ranger. This provides a significant boost to your Base Attack Bonus while not trading out Skirmish damage bonuses. It is highly recommended, and even has a handbook to help you (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0).

Magic items wise, boosting your Dex should solve the problem. You just need to be able to hit an AC of 45 by 20th level with at least your second attack each round and you should do fine (assuming you take Scout to 20th). Otherwise, focus on items that penalize their armor class.

Darrin
2011-08-10, 08:36 AM

If you can get it, and if the DM allows it to grant proficiency with exotic bows, then upgrade to a Bone Bow (Frostburn p. 75). It increases arrow damage slightly (1d10 instead of 1d8, so 5.5 average damage instead of 4.5), but it also acts as a mighty composite longbow that auto-adjusts to your Strength bonus. This means you can ask a friendly spellcaster to dump a bull's strength or some other buff on you and you can get the extra damage from your Str bonus without switching to a different bow.

Speaking of Attack Bonuses though, do you think it would be wise to try and focus primarily on increasing it as much as possible given the choice between different sorts of magic items, etc.?

I wouldn't worry about attack bonus. If you're using the Scout/Ranger/Highland Stalker build, your BAB is almost max to begin with. Your biggest headache is not going to be hitting, it's going to be damage. I already mentioned the Crystal of Acid Assault and Bracers of Lightning earlier. Anything that boosts your Str is nice (Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Belt of Giant's Strength) but unless you're using a bone bow be careful of what happens with your Str bonus on your mighty composite longbow.

Other items that can increase damage:

Lesser Rubicund Frenzy (2000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 26): This is an armor crystal, and it only works when your HP are below 50%, but it grants a +3 morale bonus on weapon damage, and doesn't specify melee weapons, so it should work on ranged weapons as well.

Third Eye Surge (2100 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 143). 3 charges, swift action to add +2/+3/+4 insight bonus on weapon damage for one round.

Gloves of Agile Striking (2200 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 105). 2/day, add +2d6 skirmish damage to all your ranged attacks.

Skirmisher Boots (3200 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 136). +2 damage on skirmish attacks, and 2/day gain an extra melee attack as a swift action.

Quiver of Energy (15000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 172). Adds +1d6 energy damage (either acid, cold, electricity, or fire, depending on which quiver you have) to 20 arrows.

Goggles of the Ebon Hunter (18000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 108). +1 competence bonus on all attack and damage rolls for ranged weapons.

Rogue's Vest (18000 GP, Magic Item Compendium p. 130). +1d6 skirmish damage.

Other than the Bracers of Archery and Goggles of the Ebon Hunter... I'm not coming up with anything. The most common way to increase your attack bonus is with a Str bonus item (melee) or Dex bonus item (ranged).

youthjab
2011-08-10, 11:13 AM
It's feat heavy, but what about Order of the Bow in CW. It's a great archer PrC.

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 12:04 PM
It's feat heavy, but what about Order of the Bow in CW. It's a great archer PrC.

Please don't confuse the poor fellow. Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet.

To the OP: Order of the Bow Initiate mostly involves gaining extra damage when you make a single shot as a standard action. It's incompatible with Greater Manyshot and full attacks, either of which give you more damage.

Big Fau
2011-08-10, 12:28 PM

"Great" as in "was originally decent, then got nerfed when they reprinted in in CW".

Do not use Order of the Bow Initiate. It's worse than straight-Scout. Much worse.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 01:40 PM
God my DM is going to be in for it tonight. Given what I've learned from this thread so far (on top of other unrelated or DM-specific questions) I've literally made a list of things to talk with him about >.>;

I've found out that he likes to run a "Levels 1 through 3 are test-runs" house-rule so we're basically allowed to make any changes we want at this point. I figure I would try to get around the headache of taking an additional feat to make Ranger a favored class to just make my character of a custom race--to be fair, all I would change is the favored class and it would fit into his back-story.

I have to see if I can get a hint as to which of the Precision-damage Immune monster types he'll use most often. I think at one point he said he actually doesn't use undead very often.

Speaking of Prestige Classes though, it makes me kind of sad that Swift Ambusher doesn't seem anywhere near as good as Swift Hunter. I was going to ask if some combination of Scout/Rogue/Justice of Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin) would have been viable, since the Justice seemed like it had a lot of neat utility at the expense of masterwork arrows.

But all Swift Ambusher gives as a bonus on top of combining Scout and Rogue levels for Skirmish damage are Ambush feats, where Ranger stacks Favored Enemy, gives free archery-combat feats, and either spells or bonus fighter feats on top of those (with Champion of the Wild.)

I was hoping for stacked Skirmish and Sneak Attack damage :(

Greenish
2011-08-10, 01:50 PM
I was hoping for stacked Skirmish and Sneak Attack damage :(It sounds good until you remember they have different triggers, and qualifying for both is quite a hassle.

For favoured classes and custom races, you can point your DM to Dragon Magazine 306 which, as already mentioned, has 0 LA templates for customizing your character. Darrin pointed out one of them changes your favoured class to Ranger. Even if you don't use it, it's a precedent.

[Edit]: Another item to consider (in due time) are the Bracers of the Hunter (Secrets of Xen'Drik). +5 Hide, +2 Initiative, +1d6 Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike. They might not work on Skirmish, though.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 01:56 PM
It sounds good until you remember they have different triggers, and qualifying for both is quite a hassle.

For favoured classes and custom races, you can point your DM to Dragon Magazine 306 which, as already mentioned, has 0 LA templates for customizing your character. Darrin pointed out one of them changes your favoured class to Ranger. Even if you don't use it, it's a precedent.

Considering I planned on being sneaky so that at later levels I could go out a fair distance away from my party to (no pun intended) scout ahead, I didn't think it would be too difficult to get both Skirmish and Sneak Attack to trigger with Move Silently and such. And even if I could only get one, if both stacked, I think that would still be a fair amount of damage.

I guess that's why it doesn't work out like that ._.

Oh, anyway, I thought what he mentioned was a Feat. I'll see if I can find the magazine.

Unless you happen to have a link?

Greenish
2011-08-10, 02:04 PM
Considering I planned on being sneaky so that at later levels I could go out a fair distance away from my party to (no pun intended) scout ahead, I didn't think it would be too difficult to get both Skirmish and Sneak Attack to trigger with Move Silently and such.For one round (or surprise round and first round if you win initiative, yeah). If you find a lone enemy and are sure it has no reinforcements and dies in one volley, all is well and good.

Oh, anyway, I thought what he mentioned was a Feat. I'll see if I can find the magazine.There's a feat in UA that can give you any class as a favoured class, but the template in question will only change your current favoured class to ranger.

Unless you happen to have a link?Dragon Magazines do not fall under OGL, so I couldn't link it here even if I had a link, and of course I can't recommend you to google it and download a PDF, because that would be illegal. :smallamused:

Big Fau
2011-08-10, 02:21 PM
I don't know why they even bothered with Favored Classes, seeing as so few races have non-PHB ones. I think only the MoI, ToM, and MM5 have races that have favored class for something that isn't in the PHB.

If the DM enforces XP penalties, be Human.

Callista
2011-08-10, 02:34 PM
Holy backstory, Batman! :P Never mind what I said about newbies and role-playing; that's gonna work out just fine.

Regarding picking your race for RP reasons: Yep, having an Elf character makes more sense than any other. However, that doesn't mean you have to have a low CON; it just means you have to subtract from your CON. So, you can raise your constitution at the expense of some other stat. Either that, or have ways to prevent yourself from being hit in the first place.

Re. Communication between isolated villages: Animal Messenger is a likely spell; and, yes, it can be intercepted. What it does is basically turn an animal of your choice into a "carrier pigeon" that will take a message for you, and then wait at the destination until someone finds it and retrieves the message. There are other spells that allow telepathy, but they're higher-level, and I'm assuming that your elf communities are mostly lower-level, like any community tends to be. The spell is Druid 2, Ranger 1... so, yeah, pretty much right up your alley.

Regarding hiding your alignment while traveling: Yep, this is also possible. The spell "Undetectable Alignment" will do it, and can be made into a magic item. Actually changing your alignment wouldn't match what you said about your character, because changing your alignment means changing yourself at a very basic level. So, what you're looking for is probably a way of hiding your alignment. Undetectable Alignment would have you show up as neutral (no aura) on everything.

Traveling with a Drow and don't know that Drow hate elves... yeah, that's gonna get interesting. :smallbiggrin:

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 03:11 PM
For one round (or surprise round and first round if you win initiative, yeah). If you find a lone enemy and are sure it has no reinforcements and dies in one volley, all is well and good.

I was just talking to a friend (who is the rogue/future assassin in our party) about Swift Hunter and Swift Ambusher, and he brought up what seemed to be a fair point:
Since it stacks Rogue and Scout levels to determine when you would get the next buff to Skirmish damage, wouldn't something like Rogue 19/Scout 1 give you (barring Improved Skirmish/Sneak Attack for now) a total of 15d6 damage with a single arrow?

I did a little math--which is my worst subject unfortunately--so please correct me if I'm wrong, but Scout 4/Ranger 5 = a stacked level of 9 when determining damage buffs to Skirmish and Favored Enemy. So at that point a Ranger would only have his 2nd Favored enemy, and we'll just assume that I stacked the +2 onto the same opponent and that happens to be the one we're attacking.

So with just Scout 4/Ranger 5, that would be 3d6 + 4 damage against that specific Favored Enemy.

At Highland Stalker 10, they get another 3d6 points of skirmish damage, which stack, making a total of 6d6 + 4 damage.

Though there's a noticeable difference in their BAB.
Scout 1/Rogue 19 has only 14
Swift Hunter/Highland Stalker has 18.

Still, I'm leaning towards Swift Hunter/Highland Stalker because I'd take your experience over the random spur-of-the-moment ideas of a total noob (me), but am I missing some sort of huge fatal flaw in Scout 1/Rogue 19 with Swift Ambusher?

I figure it could work out fairly well if I could somehow fit Improved Skirmish, Improved Sneak Attack, and Greater Manyshot into the build and be able to reliably make Sniping attacks (Hide -> Move Silently 10ft. -> Greater Manyshot a flanked opponent -> Hide Check to avoid being detected -> repeat)...

What do you guys think?

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 04:09 PM
I was just talking to a friend (who is the rogue/future assassin in our party) about Swift Hunter and Swift Ambusher, and he brought up what seemed to be a fair point:
Since it stacks Rogue and Scout levels to determine when you would get the next buff to Skirmish damage, wouldn't something like Rogue 19/Scout 1 give you (barring Improved Skirmish/Sneak Attack for now) a total of 15d6 damage with a single arrow?

I did a little math--which is my worst subject unfortunately--so please correct me if I'm wrong, but Scout 4/Ranger 5 = a stacked level of 9 when determining damage buffs to Skirmish and Favored Enemy. So at that point a Ranger would only have his 2nd Favored enemy, and we'll just assume that I stacked the +2 onto the same opponent and that happens to be the one we're attacking.

So with just Scout 4/Ranger 5, that would be 3d6 + 4 damage against that specific Favored Enemy.

At Highland Stalker 10, they get another 3d6 points of skirmish damage, which stack, making a total of 6d6 + 4 damage.

Swift Hunter/Highland Stalker has 18.

Still, I'm leaning towards Swift Hunter/Highland Stalker because I'd take your experience over the random spur-of-the-moment ideas of a total noob (me), but am I missing some sort of huge fatal flaw in Scout 1/Rogue 19 with Swift Ambusher?

I figure it could work out fairly well if I could somehow fit Improved Skirmish, Improved Sneak Attack, and Greater Manyshot into the build and be able to reliably make Sniping attacks (Hide -> Move Silently 10ft. -> Greater Manyshot a flanked opponent -> Hide Check to avoid being detected -> repeat)...

What do you guys think?

Flanking doesn't work that way. You can only flank with melee attacks. While sniping and the like is a reasonable tactic, it relies on being able to hide from your enemies consistently, which is tricky at lower levels. Hiding after an attack takes a -20 penalty for one, and you need cover/concealment to hide behind.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 04:14 PM
Flanking doesn't work that way. You can only flank with melee attacks. While sniping and the like is a reasonable tactic, it relies on being able to hide from your enemies consistently, which is tricky at lower levels. Hiding after an attack takes a -20 penalty for one, and you need cover/concealment to hide behind.

Crap, I meant to say "Flat-footed."

Got my terms messed up after flipping through web pages constantly to get those stats.

Greater Manyshot still works against Flat-footed targets, doesn't it? And so long as they can't detect you, they're treated as Flat-footed, right? As in, even if they're in the middle of a battle with my party while I'm skulking in some bushes nearby?

SowZ
2011-08-10, 04:19 PM
I always take one level of Targeteer when I play archers. At 1st level add Dex to ranged damage, full BAB, d10 HD, two free exotic weapon proficiencies... It's not bad. The second level grants you a bonus ranged fighter feat. Don't go beyond second level in Targeteer but I would consider one or two levels of it.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 04:22 PM
I always take one level of Targeteer when I play archers. At 1st level add Dex to ranged damage, full BAB, d10 HD, two free exotic weapon proficiencies... It's not bad. The second level grants you a bonus ranged fighter feat. Don't go beyond second level in Targeteer but I would consider one or two levels of it.

What book is Targeteer in?

Edit-

Holy backstory, Batman! :P Never mind what I said about newbies and role-playing; that's gonna work out just fine.

Regarding picking your race for RP reasons: Yep, having an Elf character makes more sense than any other. However, that doesn't mean you have to have a low CON; it just means you have to subtract from your CON. So, you can raise your constitution at the expense of some other stat. Either that, or have ways to prevent yourself from being hit in the first place.

Re. Communication between isolated villages: Animal Messenger is a likely spell; and, yes, it can be intercepted. What it does is basically turn an animal of your choice into a "carrier pigeon" that will take a message for you, and then wait at the destination until someone finds it and retrieves the message. There are other spells that allow telepathy, but they're higher-level, and I'm assuming that your elf communities are mostly lower-level, like any community tends to be. The spell is Druid 2, Ranger 1... so, yeah, pretty much right up your alley.

Regarding hiding your alignment while traveling: Yep, this is also possible. The spell "Undetectable Alignment" will do it, and can be made into a magic item. Actually changing your alignment wouldn't match what you said about your character, because changing your alignment means changing yourself at a very basic level. So, what you're looking for is probably a way of hiding your alignment. Undetectable Alignment would have you show up as neutral (no aura) on everything.

Traveling with a Drow and don't know that Drow hate elves... yeah, that's gonna get interesting. :smallbiggrin:

Thank you, by the way. I'm interested to see how things work out too xD

The person who plays the Drow already threatened to steal some Magic Items from the loot we found that would be beneficial to me just to be a jerk >.>;

-Considering asking the DM for the Bow of the Black Archer legacy weapon to spite him.-

Also: If I need to specifically mention what magic they used to communicate, I'll take your advice into account too--thanks for that ^^

Greenish
2011-08-10, 04:27 PM
Since it stacks Rogue and Scout levels to determine when you would get the next buff to Skirmish damage, wouldn't something like Rogue 19/Scout 1 give you (barring Improved Skirmish/Sneak Attack for now) a total of 15d6 damage with a single arrow?You'd need Scout3, Swift Ambusher requires Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC. Yeah, then you'd have a bunch of d6's for each arrow, assuming you managed to surprise the enemy (higher levels there are many ways to detect people) and it doesn't have Uncanny Dodge, crit immunity or the like. Of course, 15d6 averages to 52.5 damage extra damage per hit, which isn't that impressive at level 20.

Swift Hunter/Highland Stalker has 18.If you can get past the favoured class problem, Highland Stalker doesn't really offer anything worth leaving ranger for.

Anyhow, Swift Hunter's Skirmish works on the enemies immune to crits, it works on pretty much anything, and you can reliably get it every shot of every round. Then you have ranger spells and good BAB.

Still, I'm leaning towards Swift Hunter/Highland Stalker because I'd take your experience over the random spur-of-the-moment ideas of a total noob (me), but am I missing some sort of huge fatal flaw in Scout 1/Rogue 19 with Swift Ambusher?Well, aside from not qualifying for Swift Ambusher, there's the fact that it's level 20 build that tries to rely on precision damage and archery. :smalltongue:

Anyhow, tunnel vision into getting as many d6's as you can (no matter what contrived circumstances you need to qualify for that) isn't a good way to design a build. First of, you can easily neglect everything else, and second, it's not even such a good way to deal damage. That fellow with two-hander and power attack will do better damage.

So, while that's something to keep in mind, rogue is a decent class. Not the strongest one in combat, but has many tricks. You might find Wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) variant interesting.

I'd stick with swift hunter though, it's well rounded and dependable, and does what you want from your character.

SowZ
2011-08-10, 04:30 PM
What book is Targeteer in?

It's in Dragon Mag. If your DM thinks that is questionable, Dragon Mag is official D&D, via WotC word. If your DM still says no, ah, well.

Greenish
2011-08-10, 04:33 PM
Greater Manyshot still works against Flat-footed targets, doesn't it? And so long as they can't detect you, they're treated as Flat-footed, right? As in, even if they're in the middle of a battle with my party while I'm skulking in some bushes nearby?No, you're only flat footed in the beginning of the combat before you've acted (or are balancing without 5 ranks, or a few other effects). They do, however, lose their Dex to AC, which is enough for Sneak Attack.

What book is Targeteer in?Dragon Magazine 306. It's a fighter variant, pretty useful for archery.

-Considering asking the DM for the Bow of the Black Archer legacy weapon to spite him.-Legacy weapons are a cool idea badly implemented. Most of them actively make you weaker. Not just "Elric without Stormbringer" weaker, but weaker even while you have the weapon.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 05:04 PM
It's in Dragon Mag. If your DM thinks that is questionable, Dragon Mag is official D&D, via WotC word. If your DM still says no, ah, well.

Our DM is pretty lax about things so long as they're not Psionic abilities or something. There are a couple feats he thinks are broken (I forget which one) but other than that he sees things as pretty fair.

No, you're only flat footed in the beginning of the combat before you've acted (or are balancing without 5 ranks, or a few other effects). They do, however, lose their Dex to AC, which is enough for Sneak Attack.

Dragon Magazine 306. It's a fighter variant, pretty useful for archery.

Legacy weapons are a cool idea badly implemented. Most of them actively make you weaker. Not just "Elric without Stormbringer" weaker, but weaker even while you have the weapon.

Ah okay, I get it. I'll see if I can find Targeteer in a bit.

As for the legacy bow, I wanted it just to stick it in the Drow's ear so the angry drow-hating voices would eternally scream at him... but it's good to know o.o

SowZ
2011-08-10, 05:06 PM
Our DM is pretty lax about things so long as they're not Psionic abilities or something. There are a couple feats he thinks are broken (I forget which one) but other than that he sees things as pretty fair.

Ah okay, I get it. I'll see if I can find Targeteer in a bit.

As for the legacy bow, I wanted it just to stick it in the Drow's ear so the angry drow-hating voices would eternally scream at him... but it's good to know o.o

I am guessing Leadership, Leadership, and Leadership.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 05:41 PM
I am guessing Leadership, Leadership, and Leadership.

xD I think it was more like Able Learner or something (Gain all skills as class skills).

Though, he did tell us a story about how someone he played with used Leadership and his crazy CHA modifier to get 300 citizens from a local city to march single-file up to the entrance to a Black Dragon's lair. He then told them each to ready an action to pass an object from their left hand to the hand of the person in front of them. Then, he gave a rock to the person in the back.

Apparently there was some sort of rule that said something like:
The time it takes for an NPC to ready an action and then "trigger" said action was negligible.
And so, technically, the time it took for the 300th person to pass the rock all the way to the 1st person took no measurable amount of time at all--and the person in front was told to ready an action to throw the rock.

After a short debate, the only possible consequence they could come up with for what would happen if someone threw a rock THAT fast was that it'd cause a Black Hole.

And so their world was swallowed by a black hole, everyone died, and the campaign ended <.<;

Greenish
2011-08-10, 05:48 PM
xD I think it was more like Able Learner or something (Gain all skills as class skills).Able Learner only reduces the cost of cross-class skills. I don't see how getting "all skills as class skills" would be overpowered though.

Though, he did tell us a story about how someone he played with used Leadership and his crazy CHA modifier to get 300 citizens from a local city to march single-file up to the entrance to a Black Dragon's lair. He then told them each to ready an action to pass an object from their left hand to the hand of the person in front of them. Then, he gave a rock to the person in the back.

The time it takes for an NPC to ready an action and then "trigger" said action was negligible.
And so, technically, the time it took for the 300th person to pass the rock all the way to the 1st person took no measurable amount of time at all--and the person in front was told to ready an action to throw the rock.

After a short debate, the only possible consequence they could come up with for what would happen if someone threw a rock THAT fast was that it'd cause a Black Hole.

And so their world was swallowed by a black hole, everyone died, and the campaign ended <.<;Commoner railgun. Amusing, but what should happen would either be that the rock doesn't travel that fast (following laws of physics) or that the last commoner makes a ranged attack against something with an improvised weapon, and the rock thuds thereabouts (following the rules).

If you mix and match, silly stuff happen. DM ought to have slapped him with a rolled-up newspaper.

SowZ
2011-08-10, 05:57 PM
xD I think it was more like Able Learner or something (Gain all skills as class skills).

And so their world was swallowed by a black hole, everyone died, and the campaign ended <.<;

I think he is confusing the readied action rule. If I ready an action, I can trigger it at any time. But I can't ready passing a rock to someone without having that rock... Because it would still take a standard/move action to pass the rock even once the action is triggered. Haha, even if the rule was as tehy interpreted, yeah, people can't do things that are impossible in game. Like a normal human cannot jump 100 feet in the air even if he rolls 6 nat 20s in a row. But, you know, it was... interesting thinking. Different DMs do things differently, I suppose. (Leadership isn't usually THAT OP, though. You usualy can't get over a hundred followers until level 15+)

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 06:40 PM
Able Learner only reduces the cost of cross-class skills. I don't see how getting "all skills as class skills" would be overpowered though.

Commoner railgun. Amusing, but what should happen would either be that the rock doesn't travel that fast (following laws of physics) or that the last commoner makes a ranged attack against something with an improvised weapon, and the rock thuds thereabouts (following the rules).

If you mix and match, silly stuff happen. DM ought to have slapped him with a rolled-up newspaper.

I think he is confusing the readied action rule. If I ready an action, I can trigger it at any time. But I can't ready passing a rock to someone without having that rock... Because it would still take a standard/move action to pass the rock even once the action is triggered. Haha, even if the rule was as tehy interpreted, yeah, people can't do things that are impossible in game. Like a normal human cannot jump 100 feet in the air even if he rolls 6 nat 20s in a row. But, you know, it was... interesting thinking. Different DMs do things differently, I suppose. (Leadership isn't usually THAT OP, though. You usualy can't get over a hundred followers until level 15+)

If he was here he could probably explain the specifics a lot better than I did. I heard the story by word-of-mouth a couple a couple weeks ago (at the point when I was just starting to learn D&D) so... yeah o.o I probably missed some sort of detail that technically allowed it to work as though it were an actual "glitch" in the game, as my friend put it.

Greenish
2011-08-10, 06:57 PM
Your explanation was adequate. It's an old trick known as "Commoner railgun" or "commoner delivery system" (because usually you just hire a big bunch of dirt poor commoners).

The part where all of those commoners pass that rock works. Handing it is a move action, receiving a free action. Delay allows them to wait until they're handed the stone, then hand it forward. Everyone gets their actions off in one turn, so the stone does travel from one end of the line to the other in less than six seconds, going by rules and ignoring physics.

However, if we go by the rules and ignore physics, there are absolutely no effect from the stone traveling so fast. None. So for this to do anything, we now need to ignore rules and somehow implement physics. That's the problem.

SowZ
2011-08-10, 07:13 PM
Your explanation was adequate. It's an old trick known as "Commoner railgun" or "commoner delivery system" (because usually you just hire a big bunch of dirt poor commoners).

The part where all of those commoners pass that rock works. Handing it is a move action, receiving a free action. Delay allows them to wait until they're handed the stone, then hand it forward. Everyone gets their actions off in one turn, so the stone does travel from one end of the line to the other in less than six seconds, going by rules and ignoring physics.

However, if we go by the rules and ignore physics, there are absolutely no effect from the stone traveling so fast. None. So for this to do anything, we now need to ignore rules and somehow implement physics. That's the problem.

Yeah. It still takes an action and you can't trigger the action until you have the rock, so it isn't actually instantaneous, (even if the rock travels in response to one action.) It still only travelled the speed at which the commoner can pass it. Even then, assuming each commoner takes up five feet, moving a rock 1500 feet in 1 second is still slower than many bullets...

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 07:34 PM
Aw, oh well.

Anyway, another question struck me. In the event that I can either cheese my way into getting Ranger as a favorite class or our DM doesn't account for EXP penalties after I talk to him, you said I should just go Scout / Ranger multiclass and ignore Highland Stalker, right?

In the Swift Hunter handbook, it says that the ranger spells are actually pretty good and would be preferable over taking Champion of the Wild, but still throws it out as a decent option.

We already have a pure ranger in the party though, going for dual-weapons and an animal companion. Do you think I should still go with the Ranger spells despite this, or take Champion of the Wild to (as far as my understanding of it goes) grab a few extra Fighter Bonus Feats that might open up some more room for me to grab a couple novelty feats?

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 07:36 PM
Ranger spells are really only all that great when you've got access to a few of the more obscure books: Champions of Valor and the Spell Compendium, mostly. Without those, and given someone else to handle wands of more basic stuff, you could probably give up spellcasting and not have it make much of an impact.

SowZ
2011-08-10, 07:37 PM
Aw, oh well.

Anyway, another question struck me. In the event that I can either cheese my way into getting Ranger as a favorite class or our DM doesn't account for EXP penalties after I talk to him, you said I should just go Scout / Ranger multiclass and ignore Highland Stalker, right?

In the Swift Hunter handbook, it says that the ranger spells are actually pretty good and would be preferable over taking Champion of the Wild, but still throws it out as a decent option.

We already have a pure ranger in the party though, going for dual-weapons and an animal companion. Do you think I should still go with the Ranger spells despite this, or take Champion of the Wild to (as far as my understanding of it goes) grab a few extra Fighter Bonus Feats that might open up some more room for me to grab a couple novelty feats?

It can be worth it, because Ranger spells are weak anyway and you become less MAD, (multiple attribute dependant.)

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 07:41 PM
Ranger spells are really only all that great when you've got access to a few of the more obscure books: Champions of Valor and the Spell Compendium, mostly. Without those, and given someone else to handle wands of more basic stuff, you could probably give up spellcasting and not have it make much of an impact.

I might get a little flak from this, but my DM pointed out a website that has a lot (if not all) of the supplement books and stuff on it when we first started. So I have fairly easy access to them--what did you have in mind?

Greenish
2011-08-10, 07:58 PM
SpC: Arrow Mind is pretty sweet. Sniper's Shot if DM allows it to work on Skirmish. Exacting Shot allows ignoring concealment and auto-confirms crit threats vs. favoured enemies (though yours will probably be immune). Guided Shot ignores cover, concealment and distance penalty.

Those are just 1st level swift action spells (except Exacting Shot, sorry). Work in wand too, remember to put wand chamber into your bow if you keep spells.

[Edit]: Also, Urpriest is probably thinking of Champions of Ruin instead of Valor.

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 08:24 PM
[Edit]: Also, Urpriest is probably thinking of Champions of Ruin instead of Valor.

This is true. Faerun books are not my strong suit.

Callista
2011-08-10, 10:14 PM
Most groups do share books; so you can get access to most books in most groups.

Swiftx71
2011-08-10, 10:51 PM
Most groups do share books; so you can get access to most books in most groups.

My friends and I are playing over Skype o.o

Swiftx71
2011-08-11, 09:27 PM
Okay, so I got to working on a possible Feat outline using the Swift Hunter guide as a, well, guide. Let me know what you guys think of the order things are in, if I made some sort of mistake, or if you know of any feats that could serve as better replacements for certain ones.

Retraining is also always an option later on, too.

I've got everything color-coded in my notes, so I'll add the same colors and key as well to make things easier to read and give you an idea of what my thought-process was like.

Format:
#Character Level. Class and Level. BAB # [Total BAB] Feats/ACF/etc.

Red = Feat
Red # = Character levels that you receive basic feats (every 3 levels)
Blue = Scout Bonus Feat
Silver = Alternate Class Feature
Green = Champion of the Wild feat
Purple = Ranger Combat Style Feat

#3. Swift Hunter
1. Scout 1. BAB 0 [0] Point Blank Shot (going to retrain for Elven Archery* at a later level.)
1. Flaw Precise Shot
2. Scout 2. BAB +1 [1]
3. Scout 3. BAB +2 [2] Travel Devotion
4. Ranger 1. BAB +1 [3] ACF: Arcane Hunter, ACF: Champion of the Wild
(5.) Scout 4. BAB +3 [4] Swift Hunter
6. Scout 5. BAB +3 [4] Improved Skirmish
7. Ranger 2. BAB +2 [5] Combat Style Rapid Shot
8. Ranger 3. BAB +3 [6]
9. Ranger 4. BAB +4 [7] ACF: Distracting Attack Woodland Archer [Tactical]
9. Champion of the Wild Feat Improved Favored Enemy
10. Ranger 5. BAB +5 [8]
11. Ranger 6. BAB +6 [9] Improved Combat Style Manyshot
12. Ranger 7. BAB +7 [10] Greater Manyshot
13. Ranger 8. BAB +8 [11]
13. Champion of the Wild Feat Improved Rapid Shot
14. Ranger 9. BAB +9 [12]
15. Ranger 10. BAB +10 [13] Darkstalker
16. Ranger 11. BAB +11 [14] Combat Mastery Improved Precise Shot
16. Champion of the Wild Feat Ranged Disarm
17. Ranger 12. BAB +12 [15]
18. Ranger 13. BAB +13 [16] Able Sniper
19. Ranger 14. BAB +14 [17]
19. Champion of the Wild Feat Ranged Pin
20. Ranger 15. BAB +15 [18]

*Elven Archery--my DM allowed this.
Pre-req: Elf or Half-Elf, Dex 13, Point Blank Shot, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefit: When using any type of bow that you are proficient in, you can use your Dex modifier as a bonus to damage rolls against all opponents within 30feet. This bonus does not stack with the damage bonus provided by a mighty bow and cannot be pplied against a target immune to critical hits.

Darrin
2011-08-12, 06:10 AM
#3. Swift Hunter
1. Scout 1. BAB 0 [0] Point Blank Shot (going to retrain for Elven Archery* at a later level.)

Be careful about replacing PB Shot... it's a prereq for nearly every other archery feat. If you lose it, you could lose access to a bunch of other archery-related feats.

*Elven Archery--my DM allowed this.
Pre-req: Elf or Half-Elf, Dex 13, Point Blank Shot, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefit: When using any type of bow that you are proficient in, you can use your Dex modifier as a bonus to damage rolls against all opponents within 30feet. This bonus does not stack with the damage bonus provided by a mighty bow and cannot be pplied against a target immune to critical hits.

This sounds similar to Dead Eye (the feat in Dragon Compendium, *not* the Deadeye Shot in PHBII). However, since the damage doesn't stack with a mighty bow, and I assume you're going to be using a mighty bow... I'm not quite sure why you'd want to take this. If you can squeeze in Weapon Focus somewhere, Dead Eye is worth it (add Dex to damage within 30'). Do note that the BAB +14 requirement is a typo, it actually only requires BAB +1.

If you're going to use a Bone Bow (Frostburn, requires EWP), which technically isn't a "Mighty" bow but *does* add your Str bonus to damage... check with your DM how it might work with Elven Archery. Retraining feats takes some of the sting out of EWP, but I'm not sure which of your feats are retrainable... unless your DM allows retraining your elven racial bonus feats (which would be AWESOMESAUCE).

1. Flaw Precise Shot

If you can get the Precise property (+1 enhancement, Magic Item Compendium) on your bow, then this can be retrained.

9. Ranger 4. BAB +4 [7] ACF: Distracting Attack Woodland Archer [Tactical]
9. Champion of the Wild Feat Improved Favored Enemy

I know I suggested this ACF in my Highland Stalker build, but since you're taking 15 levels of Ranger... they get some really, really good spells. The problem with Champion of the Wild ACF is most of the feats available are craptastic or granted as bonus feats somewhere else. At any rate, do reconsider keeping Ranger spellcasting. Three of the four feats you pick up are debatably not that useful (exception: I love me some Improved Rapid Shot, but it's not so essential you couldn't live without it). Improved Favored Enemy makes the bonus damage on Favored Enemy almost worth it, but you're still not guaranteed you'll be able to use it.

Other feats to consider... well, I already mentioned EWP: Bone Bow and Dead Eye. MOAR Travel Devotion is always nice.

Other than that... looks like a good build.

Vladislav
2011-08-12, 07:50 AM
(5.) Scout 4. BAB +3 [4] Swift Hunter

Scout 4 can choose only from a short list of feats, and Swift Hunter ain't on it.

Bonus Feats: At 4th level and every four levels
thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level), a scout
gains a bonus feat, which must be selected from the
following list: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Athletic,
Blind-Fight, Brachiation†, Combat Expertise, Danger
Sense†, Dodge, Endurance, Far Shot, Great Fortitude,
Hear the Unseen†, Improved Initiative, Improved
Swimming†, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility,
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Quick
Reconnoiter†, Rapid Reload, Shot on the Run, Skill
Focus, Spring Attack, Track. She must meet all the
prerequisites for the feat.

Greenish
2011-08-12, 10:47 AM
Scout 4 can choose only from a short list of feats, and Swift Hunter ain't on it.Swift Hunter wasn't printed yet when they wrote that.

The feat itself specifically says that a scout may take it as a scout bonus feat.

Vladislav
2011-08-12, 10:49 AM
Oh, sorry, right you are.

Arbane
2011-08-12, 12:11 PM
The person who plays the Drow already threatened to steal some Magic Items from the loot we found that would be beneficial to me just to be a jerk >.>;

:smallsigh:

I am pretty much certain this will result in yelling and hurt feelings of the "I'm Just Playing My Character!!!@!" type.

Well, good luck to you...

Vandicus
2011-08-12, 12:17 PM
:smallsigh:

I am pretty much certain this will result in yelling and hurt feelings of the "I'm Just Playing My Character!!!@!" type.

Well, good luck to you...

Clearly they will either bond or end up killing each other. As long as both players are ok with this as a part of RPing their chars, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if our OP here wants to guarentee his victory in the case of a struggle, get the team members to help you out. The Drow is clearly in the wrong here, as he's being antagonistic, and any neutral to good aligned party would side against him in the case of a conflict. If the player complains, inform him that his choice to play an antagonistic character forces the rest of the party to side against him, as they need to roleplay their characters properly and couldn't possibly side with someone like him.

Swiftx71
2011-08-12, 01:47 PM
Be careful about replacing PB Shot... it's a prereq for nearly every other archery feat. If you lose it, you could lose access to a bunch of other archery-related feats.

This sounds similar to Dead Eye (the feat in Dragon Compendium, *not* the Deadeye Shot in PHBII). However, since the damage doesn't stack with a mighty bow, and I assume you're going to be using a mighty bow... I'm not quite sure why you'd want to take this. If you can squeeze in Weapon Focus somewhere, Dead Eye is worth it (add Dex to damage within 30'). Do note that the BAB +14 requirement is a typo, it actually only requires BAB +1.

If you're going to use a Bone Bow (Frostburn, requires EWP), which technically isn't a "Mighty" bow but *does* add your Str bonus to damage... check with your DM how it might work with Elven Archery. Retraining feats takes some of the sting out of EWP, but I'm not sure which of your feats are retrainable... unless your DM allows retraining your elven racial bonus feats (which would be AWESOMESAUCE).

If you can get the Precise property (+1 enhancement, Magic Item Compendium) on your bow, then this can be retrained.

I know I suggested this ACF in my Highland Stalker build, but since you're taking 15 levels of Ranger... they get some really, really good spells. The problem with Champion of the Wild ACF is most of the feats available are craptastic or granted as bonus feats somewhere else. At any rate, do reconsider keeping Ranger spellcasting. Three of the four feats you pick up are debatably not that useful (exception: I love me some Improved Rapid Shot, but it's not so essential you couldn't live without it). Improved Favored Enemy makes the bonus damage on Favored Enemy almost worth it, but you're still not guaranteed you'll be able to use it.

Other feats to consider... well, I already mentioned EWP: Bone Bow and Dead Eye. MOAR Travel Devotion is always nice.

Other than that... looks like a good build.

I literally went "Wait a minute..." and brought my palm to my face when you mentioned Point Blank Shot being a requirement for a lot of things. It's not that I didn't know that, but after I finished my outline and was a little saddened I couldn't fit Elven Archery in anywhere, I remembered that the Ranger Combat Style feats written as something like "the ranger is treated as having this feat regardless if he meets the requirements for it."

So I was like "Oh cool, I won't need Point Blank Shot later then." But I totally forgot that Greater Manyshot is just a standard feat I took :\ So yeah, if anything I'd retrain Precise Shot then once I gain access to that enhancement.

As for Elven Archery, I figured it would have reduced MAD. Instead of maybe popping a point into STR or picking up some equipment that can enhance it, I could put it all into DEX and benefit from both Attack Bonus and Damage rolls. I can see how it can kinda suck with the "within 30ft." thing if I'm stuck at a further distance so I would only be doing base damage with my bow,(I forgot that's only for when I'm actually within range) but considering I need to be within 30ft. for Skirmish and Point Blank Shot anyway, I thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Though I do value your opinion, so if you think it's a bad idea still, please let me know.

Speaking of, about Ranger Spells. I've been debating them back and forth, and with this outline, I wanted to see what I could actually get out of Champion of the Wild. I know the selection isn't that great since I get the best ones out of the list for free from Combat Style (I wish they would have had Dodge and Mobility so I could get Elusive Target and maybe Shot on the Run for when I'm out of Travel Devotion uses for the day) but considering we have a pure Ranger, a Wizard, and a Cleric, I wanted to lean more towards having some extra feats to do some things my allies couldn't already do.

Could you do me a favor though? If spellcasting is the way to go still, could you briefly explain how I would get extra casts of Travel Devotion out of it, and what other spells would be very valuable to me as a Swift Hunter? The Swift Hunter handbook sometimes only says things like "Yeah, this one is good, you should get it because it's not dumb!" which can be a little confusing when you don't really know what the spell actually does >.>;;

Oh, and thank you once again, by the way.

Clearly they will either bond or end up killing each other. As long as both players are ok with this as a part of RPing their chars, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if our OP here wants to guarentee his victory in the case of a struggle, get the team members to help you out. The Drow is clearly in the wrong here, as he's being antagonistic, and any neutral to good aligned party would side against him in the case of a conflict. If the player complains, inform him that his choice to play an antagonistic character forces the rest of the party to side against him, as they need to roleplay their characters properly and couldn't possibly side with someone like him.

All of us playing the campaign have at least some history of Play-by-Post roleplaying on the same forum together. Admittedly, the Drow Ranger in question has the least experience in that out of all of us, but he wasn't bad at it. We all understand the concept of playing our characters and accepting the way that less personable characters need to behave.

But in that regard, we have a female Drow Wizard in the party as well (albeit played by a male) who was raised by humans in her backstory so she doesn't seem to harbor the extreme amount of hated for surface-elves that the Ranger does. Our DM planned to remind the Ranger that, given he's straight from the Underdark, he is supposed to be subservient to her. So that should keep him in line if he pulls anything radical.

Besides, even if he does, I'm the party's main source of reconnaissance. I've got first-shift on look-out during Camp usually, so I'll just either "forget" to wake him up and tell him about the Ogres coming to ambush us, or that I "didn't see" the trap in the next room~.

If all else fails, I'll replace his pillow with a Tanglefoot Bag or something and take my item back while he's Helpless. <.<

Edit-
I couldn't find the Dragon Compendium online, but Dead Eye did come up on the D&D Wikia. However, it doesn't say anything about adding your DEX modifier to attack damage:

Dead-Eye [General, Fighter]
You do more damage your ranged attacks.
Prerequisite: [[3e Prerequisite::Dex 17, BAB +1, Point Blank Shot]]
Benefit: When taking a full round action to attack with a ranged weapon, the character adds their level to the damage from all attacks.
(http://http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dead-Eye_%283.5e_Feat%29)

Is this Homebrew or something? Or were you referring to Elven Archery from before?

Also, do you think Dead-Eye Shot would be worth investing in if I have room? (Going to talk with my DM next time about perhaps letting Champion of the Wild apply to Fighter Feats in general rather than just the ones on the list--I think I heard about some DMs allowing that.)

I can see how it would be more useful for classes with Sneak Attack than it would for ones with Skirmish, but considering I have 3 melee combatants in my party (and it sucks to move 10ft from an otherwise comfy position just to miss), it could help some.

I do have some questions regarding it though, even if not for my Swift Hunter since I'd like to experiment with a Ranged Rogue at some point in the future:
1. During combat, when are you allowed to "Ready" an action? Is it a Free action to do that at any point in time, even during someone else's turn? Or would I have to wait my turn and then do nothing but say, for example, "I ready an action to fire an arrow at the same opponent that [our Fighter] hits" and then end my turn?

2. Do I have to declare which ally/enemy I want to use as the target of this feat? Or can I just say "I ready an action to fire my bow at the same time that one of us attack" and then pick who I want on the fly afterward?

3. If I properly ready an action to perform this feat before Combat actually begins and the ally I have selected goes before me in initiative order, does my arrow hit during their turn, or do I just get the benefits of it during my own turn? If it's the former (the results of my attack apply during my ally's turn after their successful attack), does that count as an immediate action, or do I forfeit my turn/standard action?

Sugarbuddy
2011-08-13, 08:59 PM
When I clicked on this forum and read the intro, I expected to get credit for my cleric, who was mentioned, giving the lesser bracers of archery to the elf. But noooo, Azrius is just another cleric.

Swiftx71
2011-08-13, 09:08 PM
When I clicked on this forum and read the intro, I expected to get credit for my cleric, who was mentioned, giving the lesser bracers of archery to the elf. But noooo, Azrius is just another cleric.

I made the thread before that happened D:

For those not in the loop:
In our last session, we tripped a random encounter of three hostile Lizardfolk attacking us. We killed them before they could even try to attack one of us, but apparently my luck is notorious for rolling low d20's whenever my Attack Roll comes up, landing my total Attack Roll just barely below the target's AC a lot.

My DM made a comment about how I was unlucky and he should give me Bracers of Archery at some point. I was like "Yeah, do et!" and asked if one of the Lizardfolk could have a pair on them.

DM says, "Nah, no Bracers of Archery yet..."

Then in the aftermath of the fight, we start talking to an NPC that was involved while our Rogue Sleight-of-Hands all the gold to himself and our Cleric searches the last corpse. The DM rolls a D% or something to see if it has a magic item, and it does, and then he rolls again to determine what it was.

He doesn't say anything but "OH MY GOD, I can't believe that happened..."

The rest of us were freaking out/giggling to ourselves, assuming it was something like a Wand of Wonder or something.

"What is it?"
"Well... they look like Bracers."

I lol'd. Hard.

Sugarbuddy
2011-08-13, 09:16 PM
"Azrius immediately turns around and hands the bracers to our scout."

Aureon: AW YEA

Greenish
2011-08-13, 09:17 PM
Could you do me a favor though? If spellcasting is the way to go still, could you briefly explain how I would get extra casts of Travel Devotion out of itYou misunderstood. You don't get extra uses of Travel Devotion from spells, you get them by taking the feat again (or getting Turn Undead from somewhere).

and what other spells would be very valuable to me as a Swift Hunter?I listed a bunch, but worth mentioning are also Find the Gap (touch attack hit much easier, especially against heavily armoured opponents) and Arrowstorm for large concentrations of mooks. Both SC.

Edit-
I couldn't find the Dragon Compendium online, but Dead Eye did come up on the D&D Wikia. However, it doesn't say anything about adding your DEX modifier to attack damage:

Dead-Eye [General, Fighter]
You do more damage your ranged attacks.
Prerequisite: [[3e Prerequisite::Dex 17, BAB +1, Point Blank Shot]]
Benefit: When taking a full round action to attack with a ranged weapon, the character adds their level to the damage from all attacks.
(http://http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dead-Eye_%283.5e_Feat%29)

Is this Homebrew or something?Yeah, that's someone's homebrew that happens to have similar name (the feat in Dragon Magazine Compendium Vol. 1 doesn't have a hyphen, just space).

Also, do you think Dead-Eye Shot would be worth investing in if I have room?No. Readying an action isn't usually the best option, and Dead-Eye Shot is more for rogues (since it allows SA).

1. During combat, when are you allowed to "Ready" an action? Is it a Free action to do that at any point in time, even during someone else's turn? Or would I have to wait my turn and then do nothing but say, for example, "I ready an action to fire an arrow at the same opponent that [our Fighter] hits" and then end my turn?Readying an action is a standard action, so yeah, you do it on your turn.

2. Do I have to declare which ally/enemy I want to use as the target of this feat? Or can I just say "I ready an action to fire my bow at the same time that one of us attack" and then pick who I want on the fly afterward?SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready) just says "specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it". Make of that what you will.

3. If I properly ready an action to perform this feat before Combat actually begins and the ally I have selected goes before me in initiative order, does my arrow hit during their turn, or do I just get the benefits of it during my own turn?I'm not sure you can actually ready before you take actions in combat.

In any case, you act on their turn, just before the action that triggered your readied action.

If it's the former (the results of my attack apply during my ally's turn after their successful attack), does that count as an immediate action, or do I forfeit my turn/standard action?Readying is a standard action, and so is the shooting. For the rest of the combat, your turn in the initiative is just before the ally that triggered the readied action.

Swiftx71
2011-08-13, 10:36 PM
You misunderstood. You don't get extra uses of Travel Devotion from spells, you get them by taking the feat again (or getting Turn Undead from somewhere).

I listed a bunch, but worth mentioning are also Find the Gap (touch attack hit much easier, especially against heavily armoured opponents) and Arrowstorm for large concentrations of mooks. Both SC.

Yeah, that's someone's homebrew that happens to have similar name (the feat in Dragon Magazine Compendium Vol. 1 doesn't have a hyphen, just space).

No. Readying an action isn't usually the best option, and Dead-Eye Shot is more for rogues (since it allows SA).

Readying an action is a standard action, so yeah, you do it on your turn.

SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready) just says "specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it". Make of that what you will.

I'm not sure you can actually ready before you take actions in combat.

In any case, you act on their turn, just before the action that triggered your readied action.

Readying is a standard action, and so is the shooting. For the rest of the combat, your turn in the initiative is just before the ally that triggered the readied action.

Thank you. I'll go run by the spells again--I'll probably be back with some questions when I get to it.

Sigh. Wish we could play more often though so I could at least be able to try some of the things I learned out. We're still stuck at level 2 :\

Darrin
2011-08-15, 08:49 AM
Could you do me a favor though? If spellcasting is the way to go still, could you briefly explain how I would get extra casts of Travel Devotion out of it, and what other spells would be very valuable to me as a Swift Hunter?

Easiest way to get extra uses of Travel Devotion is to dip Cloistered Cleric for turn undead. As an elf, you can worship Sehanine Moonbow and pick up the Elf domain (PB Shot), Travel Devotion, and Knowledge Devotion (every creature you see, make a Knowledge check as a free action, gain attack/damage bonus from +1 to +5 based on your roll). This is fairly easy to fit into a Scout 5/Ranger 15 build (or Scout 4/Ranger 16), but you have to plan for it... if you've already taken PB Shot and Travel Devotion somewhere else, then I guess you can get Travel Devotion twice, Knowledge Devotion, and then some other domain instead of Elf. Magic is very nice: activate wands/scrolls as a wizard. You may have to kitbash an elven deity with the domains you want, though.

There are other ways to pick up Turn Undead: Sacred Exorcist (if you can figure out how to get dismissal or dispel evil on your spell list), Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery (Dragon Compendium, sorcerer-only feats), Animal/Plant/elemental domain + Sun domain (convert "turn {blah}" into Greater Turn Undead, or the Sun domain from Dragonlance Campaign Setting (worth looking up... printed after the SRD, so it supercedes the SRD version of the Sun domain). You can pick up a domain power with the Planar Touchstone feat, linked to the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook p. 166). If you've got a feat to spare, this might be the easiest way to pick up Turn Undead. However, you need 8 ranks of Knowledge (the Planes). You can get that as a class skill via the Knowledge Devotion, if you took that earlier, or you can take a Planar Ranger substitution levels at Ranger 4th or Ranger 8th (Planar Handbook p. 34) to get it as a class skill at those particular levels (it's still cross-class for your non-Planar Ranger levels).

There's also the bone talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) spell. It's from a rather obscure source, it's unclear how it's supposed to work, and it's druid-only, so not something you can easily get on your spell list. However, if you put a lot of skill points into Use Magic Device, you could UMD a wand of bone talisman. Unfortunately, you need *two* uses of Turn Undead to re-activate Travel Devotion... I'm not sure if you can create multiple bone talismans at the same time.

Spells:

First, as soon as you can afford it, add wand chambers (100 GP, Dungeonscape p. 34) to all your weapons and shields. This allows you to activate swift/immediate action spells without having to waste an action drawing a wand.

Arrow Mind (Spell Compendium, Rgr 1, Immediate). Actually, I don't recommend this spell, since you can spend +300 GP for an elvencraft bow (Races of the Wild), which lets you threaten squares around you and treat your longbow as a quarterstaff. However, Arrow Mind also allows you to make ranged attacks without triggering AoOs. But if you're good about staying out of melee range, have reliable flight, or a method to move + full attack, you can ignore Arrow Mind. (If you take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bone Bow and Weapon Focus: Bone Bow, you can also dip into Exotic Weapon Master for 1 level and get the Close Quarters Ranged Combat ability for pretty much permanent Arrow Mind).

Arrowsplit (Champions of Ruin, Rgr 3, Swift). This spell is the basis for the Splitting enhancement. Turns one masterwork arrow into 1d4+1 identical arrows. Roll each arrow attack separately, and so long as you're not making a standard action attack, it won't count as a "volley" and you get skirmish damage on all the arrows.

Arrow Storm (Spell Compendium, Rgr 3, Swift). Whirlwind Attack with a bow, up to a number of targets equal to your character level. Not really worth a 3rd level slot, but a neat way to get that "I Am Pure Awesome" rush.

Aspect of the Earth Hunter (Spell Compendium, Rgr 4). BULETTE. Words cannot describe your awesomeness.

Aspect of the Wolf (Spell Compendium, Rgr 1). Turn into a wolf, gain scent, trip (ex), and track (bonus feat). Your type also changes to animal, making you eligible for certain animal buff spells. Good way to get Track back if you traded it away for the Trap Expert ACF.

Bloodfreeze Arrow (Spell Compendium, Rgr 4, Swift). +2d6 cold damage, target must save or be paralyzed. They can make a new save every round, but oddly enough there is no duration on the paralysis.

Bottle of Smoke (Spell Compendium, Rgr 3). Not really worth a 3rd level slot, but hot damn does it look cool.

Brilliant Energy Arrow (Spell Compendium, Rgr 2, Swift). Exactly what it says on the tin, ranged touch attack (sorta), but has no effect on contructs/undead.

Burrow (Spell Compendium, Rgr 2). Most DMs design their uberdungeons and megafortresses without anticipating someone digging underneath it. Unfortunately by RAW, using this spell doesn't leave a tunnel.

Darkflame Arrow (Champions of Ruin, Rgr 3, Swift). +2d6 untyped energy damage (can't be extinguished, only dispelled) for three rounds.

Decoy Image (Spell Compendium, Rgr 3). Somewhat similar to mirror image, but lasts 8 hours, and creates a duplicate of you and all allies within 50'. Unlike mirror image, it's treated as a single figment for the entire party (hit anyone to dispel rather than hit individual images), it stays active for 8 hours, and keeps working every time you encounter new enemies.

Embrace the Wild (Spell Compendium, Rgr 1). Gain blindsense 30', lasts 10 min/level.

Find the Gap (Spell Compendium, Rgr 3). The ranger version of wraithstrike, but not nearly as good. Standard action instead of swift, and only applies on your first attack in the round.

Guided Shot (Spell Compendium, Rgr 1, Swift). Ignore distance penalty and anything less than total concealment on all your ranged attacks for the round.

Hawkeye (Spell Compendium, Rgr 1). Increases range increment +50%, +5 competence bonus on Spot checks.

Haste, Swift (Spell Compendium, Rgr 2, Swift). Ranged characters need all the extra attacks they can get. Unlike other swift spells, this one lasts 1d4 rounds.

Healing Lorecall (Spell Compendium, Rgr 2). Remove status effects such as dazed, dazzled, fatigue, exhaustion, nausea, sickened.

Hunter's Eye (PHBII, Rgr 2, Swift). +1d6 sneak attack for every 3 caster levels. Unfortunately for rangers, their casting level is permanently halved, so you don't get nearly as much damage as an Unseen Seer. But even so, you need all the extra damage you can get.

Hunter's Mercy (Spell Compedium, Rgr 1). Usually not worth wasting a standard action on this spell, unless you've got a weapon enhancement that triggers on a crit (Enervating, Prismatic Burst, etc.).

Instant of Power (Forge of War, Rgr 1, Immediate). +4 enhancement bonus on your next attack, save, or damage roll.

Shadow Arrow (Champions of Ruin, Rgr 4, Swift). Ranged *touch* attack, 1d6 Str damage, no save.

Sniper's Shot (Spell Compendium, Rgr 1, Swift). Skirmish damage at any range. Actually, by RAW the spell doesn't mention skirmish at all, just sneak attack, so check with your DM if it works with skirmish, but the intent here seems to be "precision damage at any range".

Spellslayer Arrow (Champions of Ruin, Rgr 2, Swift). +1d4 damage for each ongoing spell effect on the target.

Vinestrike (Spell Compendium, Rgr 1, Swift). Allows you to get skirmish damage on plants. Like Sniper's Shot, it only refers explicitly to sneak attack, but check with your DM on whether this spell applies to any type of precision damage (most should allow it). Swift Hunter allows you to do precision damage to favored enemies, but keep a wand of this handy and you don't have to worry about taking plants as a favored enemy to do skirmish.

Edit-

Avoid D&D Wikia if at all possible... not only is it almost all homebrew, but it's usually really terrible homebrew. I will paraphrase Dead Eye from Dragon Compendium: If using ranged weapon w/ Weapon Focus for that weapon, add Dex bonus to damage within 30'. Does not add damage to creatures immune to crits, can be taken as a Fighter Bonus feat.

Also, do you think Dead-Eye Shot would be worth investing in if I have room? (Going to talk with my DM next time about perhaps letting Champion of the Wild apply to Fighter Feats in general rather than just the ones on the list--I think I heard about some DMs allowing that.)

Deadeye Shot from PHBII is also terrible. First, you have to ready an action, which limits you to a single attack. Second, if your ally misses, you completely waste your entire turn. And third, even if it works and your target loses his Dex bonus, your build is based on skirmish damage, not sneak attack damage. At best, you wasted a possible full attack to get maybe a net +1 or +2 attack bonus.

Do talk to your DM about using Champion of the Wild to get Fighter feats, or at the very least archery-related feats that aren't on the list of available feats.

I do have some questions regarding it though, even if not for my Swift Hunter since I'd like to experiment with a Ranged Rogue at some point in the future:
1. During combat, when are you allowed to "Ready" an action? Is it a Free action to do that at any point in time, even during someone else's turn? Or would I have to wait my turn and then do nothing but say, for example, "I ready an action to fire an arrow at the same opponent that [our Fighter] hits" and then end my turn?

You ready an action on your turn as a standard action, so you can do a move action first and then ready. You can only ready a move, standard, or free action, though, so you can't "ready" and then get your full complement of actions later in the round (that would be more like a Delay). But you could move (satisfying your Skirmish requirements) and then ready a standard action for later, such as Manyshot.

You specify the conditions that trigger your readied action. If you state you want to ready an action to respond to the party's fighter attacking an opponent, then you'd say something like "I ready an action for when Meatbag MacHugesword attacks". When the triggering condition occurs, you take your standard action just *before* the triggering condition occurs, and then Meatbag MacHugesword continues with his turn. (If you want to attack after the fighter, you can just say that as part of the triggering condition.) It's not really a free action or immediate action, but a standard action that's happening on a different initiative count. Your new initiative count is set to whenever you took your readied action.

2. Do I have to declare which ally/enemy I want to use as the target of this feat? Or can I just say "I ready an action to fire my bow at the same time that one of us attack" and then pick who I want on the fly afterward?

That's sort of a gray area... your DM may get annoyed with you if you're wording things so vaguely they can be interpretted multiple ways. You can state "I ready an action to wait until one of my allies attacks". The wording on readied actions uses the term "may" so it's conditional with each occurrence: you can choose not to take your readied action at the first triggering occurrence and wait for another opportunity if you so choose.

If you're trying to attack simultaneously, then the rules don't really allow that (D&D rules generally don't allow anything to happen simultaneously). Readied actions happen just before the event that triggered them. If you want to take your readied action just *after* the triggering event, then ask your DM if you can work that into how you word the trigger.

3. If I properly ready an action to perform this feat before Combat actually begins and the ally I have selected goes before me in initiative order, does my arrow hit during their turn, or do I just get the benefits of it during my own turn? If it's the former (the results of my attack apply during my ally's turn after their successful attack), does that count as an immediate action, or do I forfeit my turn/standard action?

That won't work. Readying an action is part of the combat rules, and it assumes combat has started and events are happening in initiative order. If combat hasn't started yet, then you can't ready an action. Once combat starts, you have to wait until your initiative count comes up to take any actions, standard or otherwise. If combat starts and your ally goes before you get a chance to ready an action, you'll have to wait until your ally comes back around to his initiative count.

Even if your DM allows you to take standard actions outside of combat, you can't do anything else while you're waiting for your readied action to trigger. You'd be unable to move, explore, interact/investigate your surroundings, etc.

Even for a ranged rogue, Deadeye Shot is a horrible feat. There are dozens of other ways to trigger sneak attack damage that don't restrict you to a single ranged attack.

Greenish
2011-08-15, 09:26 AM
Even for a ranged rogue, Deadeye Shot is a horrible feat. There are dozens of other ways to trigger sneak attack damage that don't restrict you to a single ranged attack.Well, (Greater) Manyshot is a standard action you can ready. Takes a whole bunch of feats, but then, most of them you'd want to take as a ranged rogue.

Swiftx71
2011-08-15, 11:23 PM
I am currently compiling a list of "favorite" level 0-4 Ranger spells based on the information you've given me. I know that given the nature of Ranger spells that they can be situational, but I'd like to pick out the better ones for when we don't know what's around the bend.

When I have that finished, I'll post what I have to see if I missed anything that might be useful.

Speaking of lots of options and wanting to find the best of them, in the event that circumstances lead me to choose Champion of the Wild over spellcasting and that my DM allows me to choose any Fighter Bonus Feat for my Champion of the Wild feats, what might you recommend I use for those 4 feats?

And... I have one more question.
I've heard some neat stories about Telling Blow (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2895-telling-blow.html) from my DM, namely about the time he played as something like Rogue/Duelist with Improved Critical, Telling Blow, and duel-wielding Rapiers. He managed to crit all 4 attacks he made in a single round and insta-killed what was meant to be a tough encounter.

For a ranged Swift Hunter though, I know it won't be able to benefit quite as much, but I do have a question about it: If I already activated Skirmish during my attack sequence and land a critical, do I add additional skirmish damage to my attack through Telling Blow?

Here's an example to clarify if necessary:
(For sake of simplicity, just assume all I have is a longbow with 1d8 and x3 crit along with 1d6 Skirmish, Telling Blow, and that I rolled the highest possible number in all cases.)
1. I move 10ft. and attack a target with my bow, activating Skirmish.
2. I roll a natural 20 followed by a confirmation on the critical.
3. I roll an 8 on my damage roll, multiply that by 3 due to the Longbow's critical (8 x 3 = 24)
4. I apply my initial Skirmish damage (from moving 10ft.) to the total. (24 + 6 = 30)

Now do I either...
A. Apply a second "dose" of Skirmish Damage due to Telling Blow awarding Skirmish/Sneak Attack damage on criticals, adding another 1d6 to the damage? (30 + 6 = 36 Total possible points of damage).

or

B. Forfeit the second application of Skirmish Damage because I've already delivered it from moving 10ft.? (Total damage possibility remains at 30 points).

Greenish
2011-08-15, 11:27 PM
If I already activated Skirmish during my attack sequence and land a critical, do I add additional skirmish damage to my attack through Telling Blow?No. You either qualify for skirmish or not. Rogues don't get double SA for flanking someone who is flat-footed, either.

3. I roll an 8 on my damage roll, multiply that by 3 due to the Longbow's critical (8 x 3 = 24)Actually, you don't multiple the damage, you roll twice again and add the results.

Swiftx71
2011-08-15, 11:31 PM
I am currently compiling a list of "favorite" level 0-4 Ranger spells based on the information you've given me. I know that given the nature of Ranger spells that they can be situational, but I'd like to pick out the better ones for when we don't know what's around the bend.

When I have that finished, I'll post what I have to see if I missed anything that might be useful.

Speaking of lots of options and wanting to find the best of them, in the event that circumstances lead me to choose Champion of the Wild over spellcasting and that my DM allows me to choose any Fighter Bonus Feat for my Champion of the Wild feats, what might you recommend I use for those 4 feats?

I've heard some neat stories about Telling Blow (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2895-telling-blow.html) from my DM, namely about the time he played as something like Rogue/Duelist with Improved Critical, Telling Blow, and duel-wielding Rapiers. He managed to crit all 4 attacks he made in a single round and insta-killed what was meant to be a tough encounter.

For a ranged Swift Hunter though, I know it won't be able to benefit quite as much, but I do have a question about it: If I already activated Skirmish during my attack sequence and land a critical, do I add additional skirmish damage to my attack through Telling Blow?

(For sake of simplicity, just assume all I have is a longbow with 1d8 and x3 crit along with 1d6 Skirmish, Telling Blow, and that I rolled the highest possible number in all cases.)
3. I roll an 8 on my damage roll, multiply that by 3 due to the Longbow's critical (8 x 3 = 24)
4. I apply my initial Skirmish damage (from moving 10ft.) to the total. (24 + 6 = 30)

Now do I either...
A. Apply a second "dose" of Skirmish Damage due to Telling Blow awarding Skirmish/Sneak Attack damage on criticals, adding another 1d6 to the damage? (30 + 6 = 36 Total possible points of damage).

or

B. Forfeit the second application of Skirmish Damage because I've already delivered it from moving 10ft.? (Total damage possibility remains at 30 points).

Edit-
In the case that A is correct, then what about when this situation is applied with Greater Manyshot and several of those arrows crit? Wouldn't each arrow that crits apply a second layer of Skirmish damage too?

Swiftx71
2011-08-15, 11:33 PM
Actually, you don't multiple the damage, you roll twice again and add the results.

That's interesting... I don't think even my DM caught onto that--we've been multiplying damage this whole time o__o;

Greenish
2011-08-15, 11:38 PM
That's interesting... I don't think even my DM caught onto that--we've been multiplying damage this whole time o__o;That's quite common mistake/houserule. However, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#damage)
Multiplying Damage
Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Darrin
2011-08-16, 06:42 AM

I'd start with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bone Bow. Same damage as a great composite longbow, but it auto-adjusts to your Str bonus. So if you get buffed with a bull's strength, you automatically get the additional Str damage without having to buy a new bow.

After that, I'm partial to Improved Rapid Shot (no penalty? yay!), and I'm kinda liking Improved Favored Enemy (+5 damage vs. arcanists/undead/constructs, and it multiplies on a critical).

This is "Anecdotal Evidence", or rather, one fantastic war story does not make Duelist or Telling Blow effective or worthwhile for the long haul. It sounds a bit rules-dodgy, too... the Duelist isn't supposed to carry a weapon in his off-hand, and if you dual-wield rapiers without Oversize TWF, you take a -4/-4 penalty on both weapons.

As Greenish points out, he may also have misunderstood how Telling Blow works (you don't get sneak attack damage twice if you already qualified for sneak attack damage via flanking/Dex denied). The Telling Blow thing is in the FAQ somewhere, but it might make an interesting houserule to allow it to apply precision damage twice.

Rapiers are one thing, though... arrows have the worst threat range in the game. You can make up for it with a lot of attacks (particularly with the Splitting enhancement), but my personal experience is arrows never crit for me. Ever. *grumble* (YMMV)

That's interesting... I don't think even my DM caught onto that--we've been multiplying damage this whole time o__o;

Common houserule. It also makes combat go faster, so it's probably worth keeping it that way. In the long run, it generates the same average damage on criticals as rolling/adding more dice.

Eisirt
2011-08-16, 11:31 AM

Now do I either...

or

You do realize that the character you mentioned use Rapiers or Scimitars (Threat range: 18-20) and the build we are looking at right now involved a Composite Longbow (Threat range 20).

Telling Blow is not very strong for a Bow fighter with low con.

You could take a look at the lvl 1 Elf Ranger substitution level from Races of the Wild. Just make sure to skill the lvl 10 substitution, and the Elven Hound at lvl 4 is up to you. Just keep in mind that each Elf Ranger substitution costs you a d6 HD instead of a d8 but nets you INT+8 Skill Points instead of INT+6.
Just to piss off your party members, take Servants of Lloth as your first favored enemy.

Interesting point: You lose the Bluff and Sense Motive as skills for which you get boni from FE, but replace them with Hide and Move Silently.

Eisirt
2011-08-16, 11:32 AM

Now do I either...

or

You do realize that the character you mentioned use Rapiers or Scimitars (Threat range: 18-20) and the build we are looking at right now involved a Composite Longbow (Threat range 20).

You could take a look at the lvl 1 Elf Ranger substitution level from Races of the Wild. Just make sure to skill the lvl 10 substitution, and the Elven Hound at lvl 4 is up to you. Just keep in mind that each Elf Ranger substitution costs you a d6 HD instead of a d8 but nets you INT+8 Skill Points instead of INT+6.
Just to piss off your party members, take Servants of Lloth as your first favored enemy.

Interesting point: You lose the Bluff and Sense Motive as skills for which you get boni from FE, but replace them with Hide and Move Silently.

Also... there is are some other Elf variations around and I belief the Wood Elf had Ranger as favored class instead of Wizard, but I have to look that up.

Swiftx71
2011-08-16, 04:14 PM

I know the bow wouldn't be quite as effective as a Scimitar or Rapier, I was just curious as to how it would work. It seemed like it might have made a nice "novelty feat" to take once I got my core feat build finished and had a few spaces left over at the later levels. I would have taken it to use in conjunction with Greater Manyshot (which would apply the extra damage on every arrow that crit, if any).

But since I can't get Skirmish damage normally and tack on additional skirmish damage on crits, it's not worth it.

Also, I'd much rather take Arcane Hunter instead of Servants of Lolth considering it's much more likely that some Wizard with a stick up his you-know-where is going to try to cast a Disintegration Ray at me than it is for me to betray my party :l

Edit-
I got away with a houserule on my race/favored class. The way my DM operates is pretty cool: if you want to change something (at least within level 1-3 which he considers a "testing period" especially since myself and the other players are all fairly new to D&D), just give him a reason why the change would make sense based on the character.

So I got my "High-Elf" changed to "Haythian Elf" due to my backstory, where the only difference is that they have Favored Class: Ranger instead of Wizard. This is due to the fact that while the elves still use magic in day-to-day life like normal, they try to abstain from particularly powerful magic to avoid drawing attention to their Isolationist society.

Edit Again-
Also, wow, I didn't realize Bone Bows were so cheap. I thought they would've been expensive for what they were able to do.