PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Metamagic Items

tzeus
2011-08-08, 08:48 AM
Hello,

I know the system is broken so i don't want you guys to come telling me that.
I want to be able to create this babies - rods/rings with a persisted spell in them. The purpose is to save a spell slot(i will still use turning attempts on the spell- or at least this is how i understand the mechanic - please tell me if i am wrong.)

I am an Aasimar Cleric of Fharlanghn.
As Feats i have extend spell,persistent spell and dmm applied to it.
I will be picking up as my next feat create rod, or forge ring not sure yet. I read somewhere that if i want to create:
-A one charge ring with a divine spell effect:
As a persistent spell lasts for 24 hours this allows you to reduce the price of the item by 50 percent. Furthermore an item with only one charge per day slashes the price by 80 percent.

A ring of Prayer with one charge per day would cost 3600gp.
3(spell level) * 6(caster level) * 2000gp / 2(24h duration) * 0,2(Divide by (5 divided by charges per day))
1.)I don't understand where the 2 in 24 hours comes.
2.)Is the calculus above correct? Because if it is... It would be pretty easy to create a few rings that could save some spell slots.

And if it is correct that is the creation cost?
What about rods that allow the use of the same spell in the same way. What are the rules on those?

I looked trough the core books but i couldn't quite figure it out by myself.

Diarmuid
2011-08-08, 09:08 AM
What you're forgetting to take into account is that a Persisted Spell is effectively a higher level spell. Just because you're able to use turning attempts to pay for those extra levels doesnt mean that you dont have to account for that in your item creation.

A ring that had a continuous Prayer spell on it would cost the following by the Item Creation Guidelines:

(Spell Level (3)* Caster Level(5) * 2000) * 4(duration in rounds)

To actually do what you're trying to do would be even more expensive because you have to account for a level 9 spell and the caster level for the item has to be at least the minimum level for a spell of that level, so you'd be looking at

(Spell Level (9) * Caster Level (17) * 2000) / 2(duration 24 hours)

tzeus
2011-08-08, 09:20 AM
So this means i cannot "imbue" the spell with DMM applied to it? It's only user would be me or other clerics that have dmm with persistent spell.
And what about the 0.2 - from charges/day thing? Where do i locate that in the rules?

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-08, 09:23 AM
You could do price reduction shinanagins, and be able to cast the spell to insert it into the item at very low level, and be able to decrease the needed caster level for the spell, but you would still likely be stuck as replicateing a high level spell slot.

tzeus
2011-08-08, 09:26 AM
You could do price reduction shinanagins, and be able to cast the spell to insert it into the item at very low level, and be able to decrease the needed caster level for the spell, but you would still likely be stuck as replicateing a high level spell slot.

Why do i need to replicate the high level spell slot if i use Divine Metamagic? It's not taken into account?

P.S. I found the rule with divide by(5 divided by number of charges / day)

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-08, 09:30 AM
Depends on the Dm reading of the rules. You are createing a magic item that acts like a spell of a particular level. If that is read as the spell slot it takes you to cast the spell then you are good, if that is read as the spellslot it would take to cast that spell without special abilites, then you are not. If it is read as the spell's spell level, then metamagic does nothing to the spell as metamagic does not increase the effective spell level of the spell.

Besides, custom item creation is a very heavy DM judgement area. You will have to convince your DM not only that the item is within the rules, but that the item follows the spirit of the game as well. Otherwise it is expressly stated that the rules are really just guidelines.

Diarmuid
2011-08-08, 09:42 AM
So this means i cannot "imbue" the spell with DMM applied to it? It's only user would be me or other clerics that have dmm with persistent spell.
And what about the 0.2 - from charges/day thing? Where do i locate that in the rules?

If you make an item that simply can simply "cast" the spell once per day, you cant normally apply metamagic to command word items (there are some feats or abilities that let this happen with wands, but those are spell completion).