PDA

View Full Version : Potion of Haste?

Larpus
2011-08-08, 08:57 AM
Never noticed that Haste/Slow could be made into potions until the other day (dumb, I know) when something finally ticked in my brain and I realized: Haste is a 3rd level spell, you can make potions of up to 3rd level, hence Haste can be potionised!

Yay! I'm learning....wee...go me...

However...what happens to the range?

Usually brewable spells have a range of "creature touched" or similar, but Haste/Slow are "one creature/level", so is the extra targets simply burned (making the potion considerably less appealing than casting the damn thing) or the drinker can assign other targets?

This is more specifically about PF rules, but I ran through my 3.5 PH and DMG and couldn't find anything either (though it is very possible that I just suck at searching), is there an official rule (either PF or 3.5) about this, general consensus or it's an "ask your DM" kind of deal?

Runestar
2011-08-08, 09:03 AM
It would just benefit the drinker, so it might be more beneficial to invest in a wand of haste instead, which can affect the entire party.

I don't see the point of brewing potions of slow though, unless your DM rules they can be thrown as grenadelike weapons (and even then, may as well put them in a wand where the AoE effect can compensate for the crappy DC).

Larpus
2011-08-08, 09:12 AM
It would just benefit the drinker, so it might be more beneficial to invest in a wand of haste instead, which can affect the entire party.

I don't see the point of brewing potions of slow though, unless your DM rules they can be thrown as grenadelike weapons (and even then, may as well put them in a wand where the AoE effect can compensate for the crappy DC).
Thanks for the quick reply, it was just curiosity of the mechanics since I couldn't find anything specifically stating either way, and yes, I can see how the Wand (or just preparing/casting) is a better option.

And I don't see much point either in a potion of Slow, the only tactic I can think is to trick an enemy that you are actually on his side and that the potion will have a beneficial effect, so he voluntarily drinks the potion and either foregoes his Will save or gets a penalty to it (though again, I don't think there's any specific rule on this, my DM has said this is a viable tactic with the drinker getting a penalty to his save).

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-08, 12:25 PM
Ya but for the potion of slow the DC is going to be pretty low, I guess in an assassination attempt every bit helps but for most fights it won't be useful.

Larpus
2011-08-08, 09:29 PM
Ya but for the potion of slow the DC is going to be pretty low, I guess in an assassination attempt every bit helps but for most fights it won't be useful.
True, would be only useful for a few couple levels, or only a couple times before the DM decides that you should stop using it.

NNescio
2011-08-08, 09:31 PM
True, would be only useful for a few couple levels, or only a couple times before the DM decides that you should stop using it.

If you can trick your targets, why not just trick them into drinking a bottle of Black Lotus Extract instead?

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-08, 09:43 PM
If you can trick your targets, why not just trick them into drinking a bottle of Black Lotus Extract instead?

Might be easier to have them drink a magical potion then a non magical one. If they can determine its magical you could lie to them and say its a buff spell.

Mikeavelli
2011-08-08, 09:47 PM
Might be easier to have them drink a magical potion then a non magical one. If they can determine its magical you could lie to them and say its a buff spell.

Black Lotus Extract with Nystul's Magical Aura cast on it.

Larpus
2011-08-08, 09:57 PM
Does the black lotus extract have some characteristic look to it?

Anything in the realms of "blackest than the darkest night"? If yes, a nice casting of Prestidigitation might be needed to conceal its appearance.

Anyway, I'm starting to get quite found of using this trick at some point and putting it to test.

holywhippet
2011-08-08, 10:20 PM

From the SRD:

Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so. The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

This is kind of contradictory IMO. The last sentence suggests the drinker can control the effect of the spell so they could assign the extra targets. The second sentence suggests the brewer of the potion gets to make any decisions about the effect it has.

I think the sentence "The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect" to me suggests that they can assign any extra targets since they are treated as being the caster.

Runestar
2011-08-08, 11:08 PM
So I can drink a potion of fireball and have a 5d6 damage radius centered on me? :smalltongue:

Larpus
2011-08-09, 09:21 AM
What about a Potion of Flaming Sphere? What in hell would happen with that?

Though that could just end in gastritis.

Quietus
2011-08-09, 10:51 AM
What about a Potion of Flaming Sphere? What in hell would happen with that?

Though that could just end in gastritis.

Alternatively, Web.

Rixx
2011-08-09, 10:55 AM
Area spells cannot be made into potions - only spells with targets can. (Range: Personal spells are also out, unfortunately.) You become both the caster and target of the potion, so it only affects you.

Fax Celestis
2011-08-09, 11:15 AM
If you "become the caster" of the potion, can you then be counterspelled?

Endarire
2011-08-09, 02:47 PM
Also, if you drink a haste potion, you can benefit from Persistent Spell via an Incantatrix's Metamagic Effect since the range changes to personal.