PDA

View Full Version : Sword of Dispelling

byaku rai
2011-08-08, 10:39 AM
Basically, would it be possible to create a sword with a use-activated Dispel Magic/Greater Dispel Magic/*shudder* Disjunction? Basically setting it up so that every time you hit someone with the weapon, it dispels the magic on them (duh x.x).

Assuming it's legal, or you have a DM willing to allow it, would it be useful at all? Alternatively, an Arbitrary Magic Item of Dispelling, use-activated, would be (if memory serves on how to calculate it) 36000 gp. You could make it intelligent (and thus self-activating for counterspell attempts) for not much more than that. Would that be useful, with the cost? wbl is pretty forgiving, but that right there is a level 9's entire wbl.

ILM
2011-08-08, 10:45 AM
You could, but the cost would rapidly become prohibitive since you'll want as high a caster level as possible. Use-activated Greater Dispel at max CL (20) would run you 240,000 gp, well into Epic territory.

Ranos
2011-08-08, 11:01 AM
You could make an intelligent dispelling sword for rather cheap with a weapon of legacy. It's going to cost you a few stats though.

Ralcos
2011-08-08, 11:03 AM
That's true, but in my imagination (as an awesome "realistic" DM), I see that if those spells were to be put on a potentual magic item, I would declare that those sorts of magical energies make it hard to make a magic item, putting a high cost as well as a high Craft DC, high Concentration DC, AND a percentage of failure (in this case, maybe a 30% chance of failure. Failure would mean an explosion equal to 3d10 damage to all within a 15-foot-radius, destroying the magic item.)

It would work as a permenant version of Dispel/Disjunction, though. That possibly means a 15% chance of the magic item desintegrating on each and every use.
I would'nt use it, but many players would want such an item if they are against a mage (or two).

DogbertLinc
2011-08-08, 11:14 AM
You can use some form of magical resetting trap on it for 700*20*6 = 84000gp. I believe. (Is greater dispel 6th or 5th level spell? I forget).

Still pretty costly, but less than 240k.

Cieyrin
2011-08-08, 11:53 AM
There is a dispelling and greater dispelling weapon property that's published already, y'know. No need to go the direction of use-activated true striking weapons. :smalltongue:

Crow
2011-08-08, 05:31 PM
Doesn't Occult Slayer or Suel Arcanamach get such an ability?

Cieyrin
2011-08-08, 05:47 PM
Doesn't Occult Slayer or Suel Arcanamach get such an ability?

Arcanamach does, Occult Slayer just gets a variety of anticaster abilities, though they do get a free Mind Blank, Nondetection and a limited Spell Turning. :3

JaronK
2011-08-08, 05:57 PM
If you wanted to cheese it up, a Morphing Shuriken with Use-activated Greater Dispel at max CL (20) should be reasonably cheap (1/50th normal cost), and you can turn it into any other light weapon.

JaronK

Crow
2011-08-08, 06:45 PM
Arcanamach does, Occult Slayer just gets a variety of anticaster abilities, though they do get a free Mind Blank, Nondetection and a limited Spell Turning. :3

I seem to remember Fighter/Occult Slayer/Suel Arcanamach being a somewhat reasonable build, so long as the casters in a campaign aren't heavily optimized.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-08, 06:50 PM
Witch Slayer also gets Momentary Disjunction, which is also relevant to this discussion. It also gets Mettle, which is also valuable.

Suel Archanamach is also valuable when paired with Abjurant Champion, due to the capstone ability of AbChamp which has CL = BAB, then SA gets another +6 on top of that... makes for a very viable dispel check.

Glimbur
2011-08-08, 07:07 PM
I seem to remember Fighter/Occult Slayer/Suel Arcanamach being a somewhat reasonable build, so long as the casters in a campaign aren't heavily optimized.

It does mean you probably won't invest in the Mage Slayer line of feats due to the CL hit. They're... mostly they make it better when you can have a melee attack against a spellcaster. If you get a melee attack against a spellcaster rather regularly, then they're worth considering.

Shadowbane
2011-08-08, 07:48 PM
Dragon Magazine, Rogues Gallery, Ryld Argith had a sword that does what you want. I don't remember the issue and I don't have it, but those are some leads you can follow.

Edit: GOOGLE-FU!!

This may help. All the way at the bottom; "Superior Dispelling." (http://www.realmshelps.net/npc/ryld_argith.shtml)

Cieyrin
2011-08-09, 01:43 PM
Dragon Magazine, Rogues Gallery, Ryld Argith had a sword that does what you want. I don't remember the issue and I don't have it, but those are some leads you can follow.

Edit: GOOGLE-FU!!

This may help. All the way at the bottom; "Superior Dispelling." (http://www.realmshelps.net/npc/ryld_argith.shtml)

I suppose Superior Dispelling is indeed Superior to normal and Greater Dispelling, in that Superior doesn't have a limit per day. On the other hand, normal and Greater do targeted Dispels, which is frankly kind of useful to Superior's Area dispel only for taking off multiple effects.

ericgrau
2011-08-09, 01:49 PM
Well spell storing could hold a dispel magic and it's only a +1. Only one shot though. But often that's all you want to get the most bang for your buck, as the second dispel doesn't have as many buffs to target.

How about dispelling 2/day for a +1, and greater dispelling 2/day for a +3? I suppose that's fair. Caster level equals character level, up to the maximum given by the spell.

Cieyrin
2011-08-09, 02:01 PM
Well spell storing could hold a dispel magic and it's only a +1. Only one shot though. But often that's all you want to get the most bang for your buck, as the second dispel doesn't have as many buffs to target.

How about dispelling 2/day for a +1, and greater dispelling 2/day for a +3? I suppose that's fair. Caster level equals character level, up to the maximum given by the spell.

Dispelling and Greater Dispelling already does that more often and cheaper, in the case of Greater which is +2. Regular is regular Dispel 3/day on hit. Greater is Greater Dispel 3/day. The CL is fixed, which is the only real problem here.

Addi
2011-08-09, 02:04 PM
The "Moonblade" spell (FRCS) maybe of interest for you. It's a touch attack and forces a concentration check(10 + Damage + Spell Level). If the caster looses, he can't cast a spell in the next round.

Hanuman
2011-08-09, 02:13 PM
AMF Blade anyone?

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-09, 02:34 PM
Suel Archanamach is also valuable when paired with Abjurant Champion, due to the capstone ability of AbChamp which has CL = BAB, then SA gets another +6 on top of that... makes for a very viable dispel check.

Does it really work like that? SA doesn't use it's caster level for dispelling checks; it uses its class level. Are those the same thing?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-09, 02:52 PM
Does it really work like that? SA doesn't use it's caster level for dispelling checks; it uses its class level. Are those the same thing?

Hmmm... I *KNOW* it stacks with Tenacious spell to prevent your buffs from being dispelled, however you may be right with the Dispelling Strike.

On the one hand, Greater Dispel Magic is an Abjuration effect. On the other, Dispelling Strike is a (Su) ability, which states the dispel check is 1d20 + Class Level + 6. Since specific overrules general, the specific rule about the dispel check using class level rather than caster level would apply.

ericgrau
2011-08-09, 05:14 PM
Dispelling and Greater Dispelling already does that more often and cheaper, in the case of Greater which is +2. Regular is regular Dispel 3/day on hit. Greater is Greater Dispel 3/day. The CL is fixed, which is the only real problem here.

Ah well maybe the better caster level makes for a fair trade-off between the two. Though even with the greater uses versions you can use those extra attempts to get more successes on a full attack and be about as good as a higher caster level.