PDA

View Full Version : Nature Themed Monk

Reprimand
2011-08-08, 11:12 AM
Well my DFA died a horrible, horrible death and I need a new character.

I've always wanted to use the Fist of the Forest PrC so now seems like a good time to use it since were camping in the middle of the woods after my character died.

Were doing a 28 point buy so if you could also give me some hints on spending on my stats that would be great. (Yes, I realize monks are MAD as all heck.)

Any tips on feats or optimizing unarmed damage would be great also.

So far I'm starting with a monk's belt and I'm taking superior unarmed strike and improved natural attack in addition to the requirements for fist of the forest. I also took stunning first(bonus), Deflect Arrows(bonus), Improved trip(bonus) and pain touch.

I don't really need anything for a specific levels more like a 1-20 plan

I won't need any help with skills though.

gkathellar
2011-08-08, 11:24 AM
Play Unarmed Swordsage?

How to avoid MAD as a monk:

Intuitive Attack: Wis replaces Str to attack (requires Good alignment)
Fist of the Forest 1: +Con to AC.
Shiba Disciple 1: +Wis to Attack/Damage (requires Human)
Paladin 2 + Serenity (feat from Dragon Compendium): +Wis to Saves.
Deepwarden 2: Con replaces Dex to AC (requires Dwarf or Stoneblessed 3)
Sacred Fist 4+: Limited use +Wis to Damage, spellcasting.

EDIT:

Sample Build: Human Monk 2/Paladin 2/Shiba Disciple 1/Stoneblessed 3/Deepwarden 2/Fist of the Forest 1/Pious Templar 1/Sacred Fist 9. Wis x 2 to Attack, Wis + Con x 2 to AC, Wis to Saves, Wis to Damage, Wis-based Pious Templar spellcasting, Mettle, Evasion. Bam.

Reprimand
2011-08-08, 11:25 AM
Ah, I probably should have mentioned ToB is banned were just using some of the feats from it.

gkathellar
2011-08-08, 11:32 AM
Put up a sample build for you in my previous post. No ToB required. Multiclassing may be a bit too heavy, depending on your tastes, but it should actually let you have a monk that isn't a complete waste of air.

Meleemancer
2011-08-08, 11:33 AM
Kung Fu Genius will base all your Monk abilities off of int rather than wis, I think Carmandine Monk does the same. If your DM approves of homebrew then the Naked Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7661877&postcount=19) would have some awesome synergy.

Reprimand
2011-08-08, 11:36 AM
Yeah I was kind of hoping to just go monk6, FotF3, ???? (maybe drunken master or bear warrior?)

And using feats and what not to maximize my unarmed damage.

Even taking leadership for a transmuter wizard who can cast greater might whallop, haste, etc.

I'm not looking to dive into like 8 classes.

gkathellar
2011-08-08, 11:42 AM
Well, any of the suggestions up top are still quite viable. I hope you realize, however, that your wizard cohort is going to be more effective than your monk regardless of your build.

Which is why Leadership should always be banned.

Reprimand
2011-08-08, 11:48 AM
I don't see why, with my wizard cohort I can put out about 48D8 per punch, you should check out some of the Monk handbooks when you get a chance, he's mostly just going to be a buffer anyway.

Vandicus
2011-08-08, 12:04 PM
I don't see why, with my wizard cohort I can put out about 48D8 per punch, you should check out some of the Monk handbooks when you get a chance, he's mostly just going to be a buffer anyway.

Most people on these forums equate effectiveness with versatility(which, I might add, is a perfectly valid method of evaluation). In terms of pure combat effectiveness, some of the lower tier classes can do just as much damage or even more(or even far more Mr. Ubercharger) as a wizard/tier1-2 caster.

Vandicus
2011-08-08, 12:06 PM
*Double Post deleted

Reprimand
2011-08-08, 12:30 PM
Most people on these forums equate effectiveness with versatility(which, I might add, is a perfectly valid method of evaluation). In terms of pure combat effectiveness, some of the lower tier classes can do just as much damage or even more(or even far more Mr. Ubercharger) as a wizard/tier1-2 caster.

That wasn't even counting battle jump or multipliers though.

Urpriest
2011-08-08, 01:09 PM
That wasn't even counting battle jump or multipliers though.

Doesn't make you any more versatile :P

Anyway, there's an argument that Superior Unarmed Strike and the Monk's Belt don't stack (which is maybe backed up by a Sage or FAQ or something?). Anyway, you should make sure your DM interprets it the same way you do.

Reprimand
2011-08-08, 03:16 PM
He already approved the belt and SUS stacking, same with monk's tattoo.

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-08, 03:35 PM
Half-Orc Paragon/Monk/Fist of the Forest/Bear Warrior is a reasonablysolid way to go, if that's the direction you want. You can finish with Warshaper or something similar.

Reprimand
2011-08-08, 04:50 PM
Half-Orc Paragon/Monk/Fist of the Forest/Bear Warrior is a reasonablysolid way to go, if that's the direction you want. You can finish with Warshaper or something similar.

What book are the "paragon" classes in?

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-08, 05:03 PM
Unearthed Arcana, but they're also in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon).

For a quick primer, racial paragon classes are 3-level classes only available to members of the base race. They work as base classes (in that you can take them at any time, including first level), but they don't count toward multi-classing penalties.

The Half-Orc Paragon is one of the more compelling reasons to actually play a half-orc. In addition to being a full BAB class, it gives you a solid bonus to Intimidate, rage 1/day, and a boost to your Strength.

The real key for you would be the rage 1/day, since it's an easy way to pick up rage but remain lawful. This will help you qualify for Bear Warrior (you can get more uses via the Extra Rage feat), which in turn lets you qualify for Warshaper.

Cespenar
2011-08-08, 05:32 PM
You can also add Rogue 1, Craven and Savage Grapple to any Wildshape build. Lets you Sneak Attack on grapples for free, if you're in a Wild Shape.

gorfnab
2011-08-09, 12:35 AM
Odd idea:
Simple Variant + Druidic Avenger (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedCoreClass.html#druid) with the feats Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, and Improved Natural Attack.

Another odd idea:
Unarmored Body Warforged Monk 2/ Druid 3/ Landforged Walker 5/ Sacred Fist 10

Greenish
2011-08-09, 12:59 AM
^ Your link is for your desktop.

gorfnab
2011-08-09, 03:41 AM
^ Your link is for your desktop.
Fixed. Thank you.