PDA

View Full Version : "Rune"-based caster?

Yorae
2011-08-08, 06:15 PM
I'm trying to create a D&D character for a friend in order to recreate a character that had already been concepted in a free-form RP.

The character is big on drawing runes to cast spells and using them to set up traps, etc, especially if it involves restricting the victim in some way or setting up some kind of magical barrier.

I've been trying to figure out how to build.represent this guy -- My first thought was a Geometer (CArc), because I knew they had the whole diagrams thing going on, but it doesn't look like they actually really get to do that sort of thing. I also thought of Runecaster (PGtF), but I'm not sure how well that would work out, since it seems like it would be hard to use runes offensively. In any case, I'd probably take the "Symbol of X" line of spell if available and things like Ghoul Glyph, which seems right up his alley.

Any help/thoughts?

VarianArdell
2011-08-08, 07:03 PM
if you don't mind using homebrew, this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210452) by Circle_of_Life (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=53026) seems to be perfect for what you want to make.

Zaq
2011-08-08, 07:10 PM
Step 1) Take the feat Earthbound Spell from PHB2.
Step 1a) If desired, find ways of reducing the cost of the metamagic.
Step 2) Cast spells into the ground. These spells trigger when someone steps on them.
Step 3) Flex your fluffing muscles a little bit and declare that your spells that you trap the ground with are runes.
Step 3a) If your GM doesn't let you, direct him or her to pg. 110 of the PHB and pg. 34 of the DMG.
Step 3b) If your GM still can't read, sigh wearily, roll your eyes, and take the feat Spell Thematics, grumbling all the way.
Step 4) Ready an action to punch anyone who makes the tired old ???/profit joke.

tyckspoon
2011-08-08, 07:22 PM
Most mechanically effective approach? Just say that's the dude's casting fluff. He sketches runes in the air for his somatic components, his Conjurations appear covered in mystic diagrams, the core of his Fireballs explodes as the ancient dragon symbol for 'fire', and so forth. Proceed to play your Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric whatever as usual.

If you or your friend feels there really must be a mechanical representation.. well, you're largely out of luck. Rune-fluffed magic is not well represented in D&D outside of traps and long-cast time things that are mostly not very useful for active adventuring. Although you might want to look into the (Greater) Glyph Seals in the Magic Item Compendium- they're reusable and fairly inexpensive magic items that let you embed up to a 2nd level (5th, for Greater) spell into a piece of paper, drop it wherever you like, and have it go off as a Glyph of Warding.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-08, 07:38 PM
I agree, a good refluffing is all that is really needed here. There is spells that do what you want as far as mechanical effects are concerned (explosive runes, fire trap, sepia snake sigil, web, and wall spells come to mind) just fluff to taste. You're a wizard? Your spell book is a bunch of drawings detailing your runes.

Psyren
2011-08-08, 10:17 PM
Did you look at Runesmith from RoS? Fullcasting and can cast in full plate thanks to turning every spell into runes; it can even distribute some of its tablets among the party (including personal-range spells.) It's normally for dwarves - who don't make bad wizards anyway - but you can use the adaptation on 119 to open it to anyone.

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-08, 10:21 PM
Re-fluff for great justice and victory.

Failing that (and by "failing", I'm referring to your DM's imagination), the previously-suggested Spell Thematics (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2714-spell-thematics.html) should suffice.

Arbane
2011-08-09, 12:42 AM
Don't forget the various "Symbol of (whatever)" spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-08-09, 01:27 AM
+1 for Runesmith from Races of Stone.

Saintheart
2011-08-09, 02:34 AM
Some interesting Runecaster abuses came up in this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202517&highlight=Runecaster)