PDA

View Full Version : Help -

Icezin
2011-08-08, 07:03 PM
Hello, i'm having some trouble with my group, we're divided in two groups (evil and good) and we a have a tendency of killing each other when is appropriate. I already died 2 times, because i always fall unconscious after having my HP halved in one attack from the warrior. Is there any feat that prevents me from falling unconscious in these circumstances?
Thanks in advance!

LaughingRogue
2011-08-08, 07:17 PM
As far as I know there is no rule "You fall unconscious after having having more than half of your hit points damaged in one hit"... if this is not what you are saying please clarify.

Icezin
2011-08-08, 07:22 PM
As far as I know there is no rule "You fall unconscious after having having more than half of your hit points damaged in one hit"... if this is not what you are saying please clarify.You understood correctly. This is something the DM created to balance the casters and melee combatants.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-08, 07:27 PM
If we are looking at a homerule --- there will be no feat or ability to combat it --- the best I could tell you is try really really hard to say that the feat "diehard" will have an effect for the homerule...

Also the rule is kinda sketchy --- because even though damage casting isn't the best form of it --- they can still do damage...

Haldir
2011-08-08, 07:28 PM
The Diehard feat keeps you conscious at negative hitpoints, I can't see why the effect wouldn't also apply to this houserule as well.

Alternatively, have you considered just not getting hit? It's generally your best option. :smalltongue:

TwylyghT
2011-08-08, 07:33 PM
also what level are we talking about?

Smiling Knight
2011-08-08, 07:40 PM
Miss chances (eg Mirror Image) are your friend: as a squishy caster, at the point where you're getting hit at all you're already in trouble.

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-08, 10:16 PM
Play a diplomancer, make everyone your friend, and then double-cross them and sell them into slavery.

Alternatively: Quit playing PvP. Solve this out-of-game problem with an out-of-game solution. The Giant has excellent insight here. (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html)

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-08, 10:32 PM
Boost Ac so you don't get hit, is probably the best method. Other alternatives are boosting your hit points with Con buffs or getting some serious Damage Reduction.
Telling us your Class and Level will lead to better advice. For example, giving advice like: Celerity, Time stop, Maximized Fireball probably won't help if you are a first level rogue.

Improved Initative should help too. If you can dish out half of his HP (or otherwise take him out of action) first, problem solved.

Icezin
2011-08-10, 11:47 PM
Thanks all for the help. Im playing a halfling druid now, level 11 with improved initiative, natural spell, fast wild shape and i cannot remember the last feat. STR (11) , DEX (18), WIS(21), CON (14), CAR(14) and INT (14). My group has a lvl 12 paladin and a lvl11 bard (made of paper, poor rolls and new to d&d) and the evil part has a lvl13 Samurai, lvl12 Mage and a lvl 13 rogue/assassin.

erikun
2011-08-11, 12:21 AM
What animal companion do you have, and which books do you have access to?

You should look for a +4 CON item at this point. The stat won't stay with you when you Wildshape, but the HP given by the item will, making it still useful. You can drape a vine of ivy or something around your neck to serve as a druid divine focus, allowing you to cast spells through whatever you are wildshaped as. You'll also want a +WIS item, if you can get your hands on one.

None of your opponents look very strong, so look at buffing spells or spells to restrict them. Entangle, Faerie Fire (if they like hiding/invisibility), Heat Metal on their sword/armor, Warp Wood on weapons, Barkskin/ability buffs for yourself and companion, Greater Magic Fang for yourself and companion, Contagion/Poison for ability damage, Sleet Storm, Air Walk, Rusting Grasp, Baleful Polymorph, Wall of Thorns, Stoneskin. I'm not an expert on Druid spells, so others might have some better recommendations.

Exchanging spells for Summon Nature's Ally is rarely a waste. Even the weakest animal can provide +2 to flanking and another +2 with the aid another action, and if you opponents decide to kill them, they're spending 3 attacks that aren't damaging you doing so.

Elboxo
2011-08-11, 05:29 AM
Get the evil party do permanently dominate everyone in the good party. Happy all round

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-11, 07:54 AM
Always be wildshaped into a that dire turtle thing from sandstorm that always gets a suprise round.

Kill or cripple them with that first spell. You are a druid, so that last part shouldn't be a problem.

darksolitaire
2011-08-11, 08:06 AM
Dire Tortoise, huge animal with 14 HD. Just checked now and fell in love to Lightning Strike.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-11, 08:08 AM
Great wildshape. Apply overland flight and be a flying ride for the whole party.