PDA

View Full Version : TES III: Morrowind minor problem

Emperor Ing
2011-08-08, 07:54 PM
As said on the tin.

More specifically...Normally with the ~ key, that opens up the Dev Console. However, this is not the case. It's not working.

Specifications: I recently downloaded Morrowind (and Oblivion) off of Steam. When I found the need to resurrect an NPC, I found the Dev console isn't working when I press the ~ key.

Some research shows the console doesn't work with HP keyboards. However, i'm using an HP laptop to play. As far as I can tell the dev console has been working for other people when they switch their HP keyboards with other (usually older) models of keyboards. However, because this is a LAPTOP, I don't have the same luxury.

For the record, the console totally works when I play Team Fortress 2 which was downloaded off Steam, so to my knowledge this is a unique issue.

So...what do I have to do to fix this that does not require me to spend any money? Some of my research mentions something about drivers, but...if you can come up with a fix, please keep it in layman's terms so the less technologically literate of us can understand. :smallsmile:

deuxhero
2011-08-08, 08:10 PM
I think you might be able to remap the key. No idea how.

Dogmantra
2011-08-08, 08:11 PM
I recall there being some problem with IR remote sensors needing to be disabled in certain versions of Windows. I forget the specifics because it's been a looong time, but if you poke around in device manager and see if you have IR remote capability.

ALSO one big mistake that people make is assuming it's the ~ key regardless of position. If your ~ isn't next to the 1 key, try whatever is there.

If it is to do with your keyboard though I'm not entirely sure.

Top_Hat
2011-08-08, 08:22 PM
I had this problem and solved it in the manner alluded to by Dogmantra.

I didn't really look at this link, but just disable the thing highlighted in that picture and then restart Morrowind. Good luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07914&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN&lc=en

Emperor Ing
2011-08-08, 09:36 PM
I think you might be able to remap the key. No idea how.

I already tried that. No success.

I had this problem and solved it in the manner alluded to by Dogmantra.

I didn't really look at this link, but just disable the thing highlighted in that picture and then restart Morrowind. Good luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07914&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN&lc=en

Attempt was a failure. The troubleshooting works for Windows XP while i'm using Windows 7. :smallfrown:

Arcanoi
2011-08-09, 06:11 AM
Ah, I had this problem with Oblivion just a few weeks ago. My solution was to go into Device Manager and completely uninstall the eHome Infrared Receiver dohickey. Don't worry, whenever you restart your computer the file gets reinstalled, so no permanent change is made (I'm not actually sure what this particular software does, other than mess with your ~ key, but still). You'll also have to re-uninstall whenever you want to access the console again, but it fully enabled me to use the console.

Emperor Ing
2011-08-09, 12:17 PM
Yeah, can't find the eHome Infrared Reciever on my device manager. :smallfrown:

TamerBill
2011-08-09, 04:07 PM
The Morrowind Graphics Extender (http://sourceforge.net/projects/morrgraphext/) has a keymapping function that can be used to access the console. This is what I use, since I have the same problem. I can't guarantee that it works with Steam, though.

Arcanoi
2011-08-09, 04:10 PM
Yeah, can't find the eHome Infrared Reciever on my device manager. :smallfrown:

Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices -> Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.

Emperor Ing
2011-08-09, 08:17 PM
I found it, and uninstalled it. One more problem arrived. I have to restart the computer to complete the uninstall, only problem is the driver keeps reinstalling itself whether I like it or not.

Arcanoi
2011-08-09, 11:52 PM
I found it, and uninstalled it. One more problem arrived. I have to restart the computer to complete the uninstall, only problem is the driver keeps reinstalling itself whether I like it or not.

Try closing the uninstaller when it prompts the restart, and then running Morrowind. Otherwise, if that doesn't work, @Tamerbill's suggestion should also work.

Driderman
2011-08-10, 04:59 AM
As said on the tin.

More specifically...Normally with the ~ key, that opens up the Dev Console. However, this is not the case. It's not working.

Specifications: I recently downloaded Morrowind (and Oblivion) off of Steam. When I found the need to resurrect an NPC, I found the Dev console isn't working when I press the ~ key.

Some research shows the console doesn't work with HP keyboards. However, i'm using an HP laptop to play. As far as I can tell the dev console has been working for other people when they switch their HP keyboards with other (usually older) models of keyboards. However, because this is a LAPTOP, I don't have the same luxury.

For the record, the console totally works when I play Team Fortress 2 which was downloaded off Steam, so to my knowledge this is a unique issue.

So...what do I have to do to fix this that does not require me to spend any money? Some of my research mentions something about drivers, but...if you can come up with a fix, please keep it in layman's terms so the less technologically literate of us can understand. :smallsmile:

Go into your Device Manager and you should see a category called Human Interface Device.
Under the Human Interface Device there should be an option named something with infrared. Uninstall it and your console button should be working.

Nevermind, you obviously have the answer already. I've had it reinstall itself a few times on my computer as well, but I've never had to restart to verify the uninstall so its probably a setting issue on your end.