PDA

View Full Version : Glorious Berserker Prestige Class [3.5]

Ekul
2011-08-08, 08:22 PM
I love the BoED, and the Barbarian class, while not my favorite melee class, is very fun to play. Sadly there isn't anything impressive in the way of an exalted barbarian. So I churned this out, and it probably came out a little overpowered. Here it is in all its.... Glory.

The Glorious Berserker

“FREEDOM FROM WEAKNESS!”

Some warriors desire something greater than wealth- glory. Like the paladin, the Glorious Berserker eschews his fear for something greater than himself. Unlike the paladin, the Glorious Berserker does not fight that which makes him weaker- he embraces it. Every other level, the Glorious Berserker gains a new ability that allows him to face something that normally severely impacts their health. The Glorious Berserkers have a job that would be dangerous to anybody else. Some take their immunities further- by drinking dangerously evil concoctions that activate multiple of their own abilities at once. Mixed with so many dangerous spells, poisons and potions, it would likely kill anyone else.

Although the class heavily favors chaotic good, many authority figures -even ones that are Lawful Evil- seek the exceedingly rare Lawful Good version of this class, because there is no greater body guard against assassins than a fully matured Glorious Berserker. The class typically does not get along well with Necromancers.

Those wishing to become a Glorious Berserker after learning of it goes through a rite to deny their fears- they must drink a poison for which they have no immunity to prove that they are worthy. (If they have a class ability making them immune to the poison, then they are allowed to suspend that ability, as long as the rules allow it.) Upon becoming evil, a Glorious Berserker loses all class abilities unless an atonement spell is cast. Becoming neutral on the good-evil axis doesn't lose the abilities, but it does prevent further progression in the class.

Hit Points: d12
Alignment Requirement: Good
Feat Requirement: Die Hard
Skill Requirement: Intimidate 7 ranks
Special: Must knowingly drink a poison and not use any racial features, class features or items to dodge the effects- except for natural healing and fortitude save.
Skills: 4+Int
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim,

{table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude|Reflex|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+0|+2|Fearless Glory
2|+2|+3|+0|+3|Righteous Wrath, Rage +1/Day
3|+3|+3|+1|+3|Unswerving Glory
4|+4|+4|+1|+4|Glorious Freedom
5|+5|+4|+1|+4|Deathless Glory
6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Eternal Glory, Rage +2/Day
7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Blessed Glory, Unstoppable Glory
8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Glorious Madness
9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Powerful Glory
10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Aura of Perfect Glory, Rage +3/Day[/table]

Class features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Glorious Berserker is proficient with all martial and simple weapons, as well as light and medium armor, and shields (besides tower shields)

Fearless Glory (Ex): Whenever anything with the fear descriptor would normally target or effect the Glorious Berserker- whether he is immune to it or not- he may instead fly into a rage as a free action, and all of the stats and saves that normally raise in a rage get an additional +4. If the Glorious Berserker does fly into a rage, the fear effect does not effect him. Otherwise, normal rules apply. If the Glorious Berserker is already in a rage and has not yet been effected by this ability, the ability will still activate. If the ability has been activated, the stats do not stack, but the fear effect is still ignored.

Righteous Wrath (BoED)

Unswerving Glory (Ex): Whenever anything with compulsion effect would normally target or effect the Glorious Berserker- whether he is immune to it or not- he may instead fly into a rage as a free action, and all of the stats and saves that normally raise in a rage get an additional +4. If the Glorious Berserker does fly into a rage, the compulsion effect does not effect him. Otherwise, normal rules apply. If the Glorious Berserker is already in a rage and has not yet been effected by this ability, the ability will still activate. If the ability has been activated the compulsion effect is still ignored. While this does not stack with itself, it does stack with Fearless Glory

Glorious Freedom (Su): The Glorious Berserker is counted as having Freedom of Movement on, permanently.

Deathless Glory (Ex): Whenever any death effect would normally target or effect the Glorious Berserker-whether he is immune to it or not- he may instead fly into a rage as a free action, and all of the stats and saves that normally raise in a rage get an additional +4. If the Glorious Berserker does fly into a rage, the death effect. Otherwise, normal rules apply. If the Glorious Berserker is already in a rage and has not yet been effected by this ability, the ability will still activate. For the duration of this ability, all death effects are ignored. While this does not stack with itself, it does stack with Fearless Glory, and Unswerving Glory.

Eternal Glory (Ex): None of his extraordinary class abilities may be revoked at any time- even by deities, with the one exception that if the Glorious Berserker chooses to be evil, in which case the entire class no longer works unless an atonement spell is cast.

Blessed Glory (Su): When any curse or curses are used on the Glorious Berserker, the glorious berserker may use up one of his rages to destroy all curses that effect him for that round. If the curse comes from an object, the object may never work again.

Unstoppable Glory (Ex): Whenever a paralysis, stun or petrification would normally target or effect the Glorious Berserker-whether he is immune to it or not- he may instead fly into a rage as a free action, and all of the stats and saves that normally raise in a rage get an additional +4. If the Glorious Berserker does fly into a rage, the stopping effect doesn't work. Otherwise, normal rules apply. If the Glorious Berserker is already in a rage and has not yet been effected by this ability, the ability will still activate. For the duration of this ability, all paralysis stun or petrification effects are ignored. While this does not stack with itself, it does stack with all other Glory abilities.

Glorious Madness (Ex): While the above effects still may still be activated, nothing with the mind effecting descriptor may effect the Glorious Berserker unless desired. Additionally no supernatural, magical, psionic, etc. effect may change the alignment of the Glorious Berserker from Good. However, it may still be changed along the Law-Chaos axis.

Powerful Glory (Ex): Whenever any level or ability drain/damage/penalty would normally target or effect the Glorious Berserker-whether he is immune to it or not- he may instead fly into a rage as a free action, and all of the stats and saves that normally raise in a rage get an additional +4. If the Glorious Berserker does fly into a rage, the drain/damage/penalty doesn't work. Otherwise, normal rules apply. If the Glorious Berserker is already in a rage and has not yet been effected by this ability, the ability will still activate. For the duration of this ability, all level/ability damage/drain/penalty effects are ignored. While this does not stack with itself, it does stack with all other Glory abilities.

Aura of Perfect Glory (Su): The Glorious Berserker is capable of projecting his glorious immunities to all of his allies within 30 ft as long as they are activated- but not the buffs. (This may still be done with rage-sharing feats or class abilities)

So tell me, are you tired of the word Glory yet?

gkathellar
2011-08-08, 08:37 PM
It looks interesting. A little too reactive, maybe, but good otherwise.

The only problem I can see is that it's not up to par with the Champion of Gwynharwyf, so if you're looking for an Exalted Barbarian PrC, you'd probably choose the one in the book.

Amechra
2011-08-08, 10:33 PM
To clarify the whole stacking thing...

If I have standard rage, and ALL the Glory abilities are activated, does this mean I could get a +40 to my Con and Strength? Or would I get a +24 instead?

Ekul
2011-08-08, 10:45 PM
It looks interesting. A little too reactive, maybe, but good otherwise.

The only problem I can see is that it's not up to par with the Champion of Gwynharwyf, so if you're looking for an Exalted Barbarian PrC, you'd probably choose the one in the book.

I disagree- for one thing, Smite Evil is insufficiently useful and Champion of Gwyndhawyf gives spellcasting progression, but I feel that violates the idea of the classic Barbarian. Sure, there's the mentality that 'everything can be made better with spellcasting', but I feel that if that is the case, then someone who gets (under optimal conditions) +10 Fort, +10 Ref, +20 Will, +20 Str, Dex and Con is far more barbarian-like AND fairly resistant to casters. Sure, some casters can still just go ahead and Genesis themselves into timelessness, build something huge and just drop it on them, but you do have to resort to some more obscure tricks to get around this.

Additionally, like I noted in the description, there's nothing stopping them from carrying around a suicide drink that immediately triggers everything at once if they're facing someone who won't trigger it.

To clarify the whole stacking thing...

If I have standard rage, and ALL the Glory abilities are activated, does this mean I could get a +40 to my Con and Strength? Or would I get a +24 instead?

A +24 Str and Con, +22 Dex and +22 Will

Misaat
2011-12-11, 11:35 AM
Wait where does the bonus to dex come from :smallconfused: ?