PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler 10 Mindbender 10

LaughingRogue
2011-08-08, 10:52 PM
Alright I'm aware that it's not optimized and it's supposed to just be a 10 level dip but my question is ... In a game that is not Really High Optimization (not saying there is none) but it's not that high...

Can it work?
If not --- Is there any other class / ability that would allow me to gain a thrall? (the way to do this cannot be through an evil class) (my character is all into the "controlling the mind" mentality...

I thought that the optimizers in the Playground could give me the best possible way (feats and otherwise) to make a Mindbender work.

Redshirt Army
2011-08-08, 11:07 PM
If you just want the flavor of messing with peoples minds in order to mind control them, then the super optimized path would be Psion (or Erudite) going into Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm).

If you want to stay a Beguiler, then remember to take Practiced Spellcaster to offset the loss of caster levels somewhat.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-08, 11:13 PM
If you just want the flavor of messing with peoples minds in order to mind control them, then the super optimized path would be Psion (or Erudite) going into Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm).

If you want to stay a Beguiler, then remember to take Practiced Spellcaster to offset the loss of caster levels somewhat.

Thing about it is I didn't come up with the idea until after roleplaying my beguiler for the first game and for roleplaying reasons I would like to not remake my character (I really like my character and roleplaying him and some things happened at the first game which would make it odd to just make a new character)... and yeah i was thinking Definitely Practiced Spellcaster --- thanks for the post.

Angry Bob
2011-08-08, 11:27 PM
It depends. Most of your stuff has a will save standing between it and success. Since you'll be getting higher-level spells later than normal, your save DCs are going to suffer, especially if you don't have access to the ability boosters that are a given in a higher-power game. Late-game, you could very well see yourself wasting a lot of actions and spells trying to get something to fail its save.

You also won't get ninths, but in a low-op game, that's not as much of an issue as the above.

If any of the above concerns you, get 20 caster levels some other way(beguiler 20 is legit). Dominate is already on the beguiler spell list, and has enough of a duration that you can just renew it whenever and call whoever you dominate your thrall.

The main complaint I have about taking mindbender 10 is that it doesn't really add anything you can't already do. All of his abilities can be replicated accurately enough with spells, except telepathy, and that's at first level anyway, so you don't really need the other nine levels.

If you're taking the class to 10 because you think you need to gimp yourself, I ask you to reconsider. Beguiler 20 can play nice with lower-tier classes just fine as written. Deliberately making your build weaker just isn't necessary.

faceroll
2011-08-09, 01:24 AM
Mindbender lets you trade out half your caster levels to be able to use a handful of spell like abilities a few times per day that you already have with your spell casting.

Why not just go beguiler 20 (or 19 with a dip in mindbender for telepathy, the only unique ability the class gives you).

For your beguiler, pick up the feat leadership, then just cast dominate/charm on your followers/cohort.

Alternatively, once you have a dominated creature as straight beguiler, just use another dominate on them before the duration wears off. Just bluff them that you're casting a buff on them or hit them again when they're asleep.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-09, 01:31 AM
Mindbender lets you trade out half your caster levels to be able to use a handful of spell like abilities a few times per day that you already have with your spell casting.

Why not just go beguiler 20 (or 19 with a dip in mindbender for telepathy, the only unique ability the class gives you).

For your beguiler, pick up the feat leadership, then just cast dominate/charm on your followers/cohort.

Alternatively, once you have a dominated creature as straight beguiler, just use another dominate on them before the duration wears off. Just bluff them that you're casting a buff on them or hit them again when they're asleep.

I agree , this is a case of me being too into an idea of the class to realize that it's not really giving me that much anyway...

But i may go with Beguiler 19 mindbender 1 or somethng because i do enjoy telepathy

Darth_Versity
2011-08-09, 03:42 AM
I agree , this is a case of me being too into an idea of the class to realize that it's not really giving me that much anyway...

But i may go with Beguiler 19 mindbender 1 or somethng because i do enjoy telepathy

If you do that I recommend you take your mindbender level at 6 or 7 to delay your advanced learning from Beguiler. That allows you get higher level spells with advanced learning.

The Telepathy also opens up the Mindsight feat which is extremely useful.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-09, 03:56 AM
If you do that I recommend you take your mindbender level at 6 or 7 to delay your advanced learning from Beguiler. That allows you get higher level spells with advanced learning.

The Telepathy also opens up the Mindsight feat which is extremely useful.

I completely Agree