PDA

View Full Version : Concerning gold pieces and castles...

SlashRunner
2011-08-08, 11:02 PM
One of my players wants to build a castle, and as he says he does not yet know "proper forum-posting etiquette" he asked me to do it. So here it is.
Is there anything providing pricing for castles? More specifically, pricing that allows you to build your own castle and apply a price to it? I don't have access to the Stronghold Builder's Guide, and neither does he, so we can't use that.

Drelua
2011-08-08, 11:48 PM
Page 101 of the DMG has prices for different types of castles. They give the size of a castle in number of rooms, with nothing saying how they are set up. You could design it however you wanted, and then pay extra for traps and anything else you want to add. It would be expensive, which might put off your player, but a simple set of rules is their.

Rimeheart
2011-08-09, 12:19 AM
Stronghold builder's guide book should be downloadable.

faceroll
2011-08-09, 12:27 AM
Stronghold Builder's Guide charges you 50,000gp for a moat and not much for for a resetting trap of wish.

I don't really like the pricing in the book, at all, but it's fun.

agahii
2011-08-09, 12:30 AM
But you get free money for the moat :)

Ormur
2011-08-09, 01:35 AM
The Stronghold Builders Guidebook had been mentioned. The prices are pretty wonky but they shouldn't really matter, if he wants to occupy himself with designing and building a castle for his character (like I did) I recommend the Landlord feat which gives him a level appropriate castle for free (and it scales). If he just wants a castle you can make some sort of a generic castle and hand it out as a reward (the king grants you one as a fief for your service or he captures it from Lord Evil). The cost should only really matter if you don't want to give him a castle and he insists on buying it out of his WBL.

ILM
2011-08-09, 03:58 AM
Page 101 of the DMG has prices for different types of castles. They give the size of a castle in number of rooms, with nothing saying how they are set up. You could design it however you wanted, and then pay extra for traps and anything else you want to add. It would be expensive, which might put off your player, but a simple set of rules is their.
That table is wonky though. A mansion is 100,000 gp, two thirds of a keep, yet in Cityscape the price of a manor house (which is apparently synonymous for "mansion") is 2d8*1000 gp, IIRC. :smallconfused:

Grendus
2011-08-09, 09:09 AM
In all fairness, the inconsistencies have more to do with how the economy in D&D works, or rather, doesn't. It was never meant to simulate a real economy, so any attempt to price non-adventurer goods will be slipshod at best. Various game designers decided to weigh how much advantage a house/castle gave you, compared that to a magic item, and posted their price. It tends to vary, because depending on your gaming style it could be incredibly powerful, or it could be a fluff thing that you never get to use because you're always sleeping in your muddy cloak while off dragon hunting.