PDA

View Full Version : (Pathfinder) Titan Mauler + Gunslinger can wield a large/huge blunderbuss

Starbuck_II
2011-08-08, 11:28 PM
1) Titan Mauler lets you weild lower penalties from size.
2 handed Firearms can be used in one hand with -4 hit (but just thought that was interesting).
2) The size of as weapon doesn't affect how many hands can be used.

Thus, Titan mauler can wield large Shotguns (or blunderbuss) with -2 size to hit, but he lowers this with Massive Weapons ability (assuming 6 levels Barb) to -0.

You could get a huge one, but you'd need 12 levels Barb to negate the penalty.
The penalty to hit from size should be fine either way since hits touch AC.

Either way, I thought that was cool that you can technically get a massive gun.
You might wonder where you get the gun? Gunslinger doesn't say the gun must be appropriately sized.

So a Barb multiclassing into Gunslinger now has a free Huge Blunderbuss. Awesome damage (2d6->3d6? or is it 2d6->4d6? I forget weapon increasing size chart says).

Bhaakon
2011-08-08, 11:41 PM
Large sized creatures and above can wield siege firearms one size category smaller than themselves as 2-handed weapons. Titan maulers can enlarge as part of their rage at level 14, and get bonuses to wielding two-handed weapons one handed and can wield weapons over their size category without penalty (eventually). Arguably, a level 14 titan mauler can dual wield cannons while raging (of course 12d6 damage in a round isn't anything special by level 14).

CTrees
2011-08-09, 06:00 AM
Except, as discussed in the ultimate wombat thread, titan maulers don't actually gain the ability to use large or bigger two handed weapons. You could dual wield shotguns, or use oversized pistols, but that's it, RAW. Obvious RAI, this should definitely work, but you're stuck relying on my two least favorite words-GM fiat,

Edit: friggin'... mobile... autocorrect... you know what? I'm leaving it. I hope you're happy with yourseld, phone.

Starbuck_II
2011-08-09, 08:18 AM
Except, as discussed in the ultimate wombat thread, titan maulers don't actually gain the ability to use large or bigger two handed weapons. You could dual wield shotguns, or use oversized pistols, but that's it, RAW. Obvious RAI, this should definitely work, but you're stuck relying on my two least favorite words-GM fiat,

Edit: friggin'... mobile... autocorrect... you know what? I'm leaving it. I hope you're happy with yourseld, phone.

Except that was normal rules, anyone can wield a huge Shotgun by RAW.
Guns don't increae in hands by increaaing size.

Titan Mauler lets you lower penalties from increased size.

So it works. BY RAW.

beyond reality
2011-08-09, 10:20 AM
No, it does specify that each difference in size increases or decreases the weapon's category (light, one handed, two handed) by one and that if it would be pushed beyond those categories it would be impossible to use. (source: equipment, under weapon size).

A gun wielding barbarian would be hilariously ineffective but I've got to admit the mental image is extremely cool. Perhaps there's a way to adapt titan mauler to one of the other classes like ranger or fighter.

Luckmann
2011-08-09, 10:34 AM

This is how I henceforth will refer to Ultimate Combat.. I mean Wombat. :smallbiggrin:

CTrees
2011-08-09, 11:40 AM
No, it does specify that each difference in size increases or decreases the weapon's category (light, one handed, two handed) by one and that if it would be pushed beyond those categories it would be impossible to use. (source: equipment, under weapon size).

A gun wielding barbarian would be hilariously ineffective but I've got to admit the mental image is extremely cool. Perhaps there's a way to adapt titan mauler to one of the other classes like ranger or fighter.

Unless the gun rules specifically override the size restrictions in the equipment rules... titan mauler doesn't, so it's not workable. I'm afb, so I'll look when I get home, I guess.

Starbuck_II
2011-08-09, 10:53 PM
Unless the gun rules specifically override the size restrictions in the equipment rules... titan mauler doesn't, so it's not workable. I'm afb, so I'll look when I get home, I guess.

You don't need Titan Mauler.
The gun rules override size restrictions. They say, it doesn't matter how large the size, you don't increase handiness.

I mean Titan Muakler because the 3rd level ability Massive Weapons lower penalty from larger size to hit.

Anyone, even a commoner, can wield a huge Shotgun in Pathfinder. -4 to hit (-4 nonproficiency as well) but he can do it.

Xarael
2018-03-20, 09:47 PM
You don't need Titan Mauler.
The gun rules override size restrictions. They say, it doesn't matter how large the size, you don't increase handiness.

I mean Titan Muakler because the 3rd level ability Massive Weapons lower penalty from larger size to hit.

Anyone, even a commoner, can wield a huge Shotgun in Pathfinder. -4 to hit (-4 nonproficiency as well) but he can do it.

Do the inappropriately sized firearms rules allow a Medium or smaller creature to use larger firearms of any size?

The text of the rule is, “The size of a firearm never affects how many hands you need to use to shoot it.” The intent of that rule was to prevent a Medium character from using a Small rifle as a one-handed pistol; it wasn’t intended to let a Medium character use a Large, Huge, Gargantuan, or Colossal two-handed firearm as a two-handed weapon. Just like with non-firearms, a creature cannot wield a weapon that’s far too big or small for it. Specifically in the case of firearms, a Medium character can’t use a two-handed firearm sized for a Large or larger creature, and a Small character can’t use a two-handed firearm sized for a Medium or larger creature.

This is from an FAQ about the rule you are referring to. A common person, indeed not any single medium sized person, can wield a huge sized two handed firearm AT ALL, or even a large one.

Here's the source.
http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9p04

Starbuck_II
2018-03-20, 11:30 PM
Thank you for necromancy on my old thread. You do realize they made a FAQ because they were wrong and I was right.

Really silly that they did that. It didn't hurt anyone to do this (wasn't overpowered).