PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have tips for making a duel wielding warblade?

Togath
2011-08-09, 03:32 AM
One of my players has been falling behind in combat the last few sessions and(with my approval) is going to rewrite his character as a warblade(mainly to keep up with an iajutsu focus ninja[with sapphire nightmare blade], an optimized bardblade[using 8-10 levels of bard and 10-12 levels of warblade]), so I was going to help him find a good build, the group is currently at 7th level.
The player's character concept is a swashbuckler duel wielding cutlasses, with high jump, tumble and balance skills, and he wants to keep his cha score at, at least a +0 bonus, though he is willing to re calculate is ability scores(I'm using a 40 point-buy system for the campaign, which is balanced by NPCs using the same amount)

2nd; which disciplines are best for a lightly or unarmed(we're using the armor as DR variant) duel wielding swashbuckler?(I had been thinking tiger's claw and maybe iron heart or a refluffed[with cold or acid, or maybe electricity damage instead of fire]desert wind[though desert wind would require changing to a swordage)

and 3rd question, what are good feat choices for a duel wielding warblade

current feat list;
1st feat(human bonus feat)TWF(without it the concept can’t work)
2nd feat(1st level); Exotic weapon proficiency(sawtooth sabre)
3rd feat(level 3); Power attack
4th feat(level 5 warblade); Improved initiative
5th feat(level 6); Weapon Focus(sawtooth sabre)

I think I've built this stat array correctly for a 40 point one;
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10

Skills; Balance 10 ranks, Concentration 10 ranks, Craft[weapon smithing] 3 ranks, Craft[weaving] 5 ranks, Jump 10 ranks, Profession[sailor] 10 ranks, Swim 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks.
how is it for a duel wielding warblade?(focusing on diamand mind and tiger's fang)

Maneuvers Known;
Insightful Strike(3rd)
Sudden Leap(1st)
Rabid Wolf Strike(2nd)
Sapphire Nightmare Blade(1st)
Emerald Razor(2nd)
Mountain Hammer(2nd)

Stances Known;
Punishing Stance(1st)
Leaping Dragon Stance(3rd)

so far I have level 6 warblade level 1 exotic weapon master as his classes currently

also below is a list of house rules I’m using for the campaign, in addition to the armor and point-buy rules above;

all creatures and characters with levels in a class gain their max result of each classes HD.
Toughness adds +1 HP/lvl but can only be taken once, improved toughness and strength of the earth Grant the same benefit.
Dodge grants +1 AC.
Also the musket, pistol, and revolver from the dmg are available, as are cannons, also the group owns a large boat and a carriage and a wagon, both of which are pulled by teams of 4 warbeast riding lizards if these things change anything ,though it seems unlikely that the vehicles would do so, though the firearms might.

the available rulebooks are; all 3.5 rulebooks, arms & equipment guide, OA, and the Rokugan campaign setting, and all weapons presented in the pathfinder SRD(excluding 3rd party ones)

The rest of the party consists of; an optimized elf bardblade(3.5 bard, and focusing on white raven maneuvers and stances), an Iajutsu focus based ninja(rokugan ninja[basically a rogue that can add her int to initiative, and her con modifier x5 to her land speed, and a scaling bonus to AC when unarmored] with iajutsu focus and sapphire nightmare blade[from martial study]), a dragon blooded human earthbender with a major red dragon bloodline(earthbender levels allow him to as a standard action create a 30ft. pillar, a 15ft. wall, or dig at about a 15-20ft. burrow speed leaving a usable tunnel behind him, or climb up a stone surface at 40ft. per round), and a DMPC healbot goliath paladin.

short version; I'm trying to help a player rebuild his character as a duel wielding warblade to help him keep up with the rest of the party.

Greenish
2011-08-09, 03:42 AM
1: Cutlass, as statted by Stormwreck, is shortsword except slashing. Scimitar is a working approximation, too.

2: Diamond Mind has strikes that do not rely too much on weapon damage, as well as useful boosts. Tiger Claw has a few good boosts, as does Desert Wind. Setting Sun has some excellent counters. The latter two aren't warblade's by default, though.

3: He needs TWF, might want ITWF, OTWF if you stat cutlass as a one-handed weapon. Power Attack, not really, unless…

7th level you say? If you call cutlass a one-handed exotic weapon, he could dip EWM for Uncanny Blow, in which case PA would be excellent.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-09, 03:45 AM
Would the player be willing to wield the double scimitar from eberron? If so it'd be his best option as he could then take Revenant Blade and fight as though dual wielding and treat both ends as two-handed weapons.

It's not actually two-swords, but double bladed swords are still stylish!

Greenish
2011-08-09, 03:49 AM
Revenant Blade's capstone would be a few levels away. It's still an excellent PrC, and double weapon would work since you can use it as two-handed for strikes.

About that, strikes don't really work with TWF as written. Would you consider changing how TWF works into something like Snap Kick (every time you attack with main hand, you also get to attack with offhand)?

Togath
2011-08-09, 03:58 AM
7th level you say? If you call cutlass a one-handed exotic weapon, he could dip EWM for Uncanny Blow, in which case PA would be excellent
Uncanny blow requires the weapon to be held in both hands, so he couldn't use it while duel wielding

Would the player be willing to wield the double scimitar from eberron? If so it'd be his best option as he could then take Revenant Blade and fight as though dual wielding and treat both ends as two-handed weapons.
The duel scimitar would require the same feat cost as two standard scimitars, so he will probally go for the standard ones refluffed as cutlasses

About that, strikes don't really work with TWF as written. Would you consider changing how TWF works into something like Snap Kick (every time you attack with main hand, you also get to attack with offhand)?
I was planning on having twf work like that as a house rule, but wasn't quite sure if that already was there or not.

Edit: I edited the feat list using the advice so far(and relizing he could use leap of the heavens)

Greenish
2011-08-09, 04:17 AM
Uncanny blow requires the weapon to be held in both hands, so he couldn't use it while duel wieldingUncanny Blow has two options. The other gives you 2xStr for two-handing the one-handed weapon. The other gives you 2:1 PA on one-handed weapons.

The duel scimitar would require the same feat cost as two standard scimitarsYes, but he can use it as a two-handed weapons when using a strike, and of course with double scimitar he could enter the PrC mentioned.

I was planning on having twf work like that as a house rule, but wasn't quite sure if that already was there or not.Good, then he doesn't need ITWF (since it doesn't exist/do anything) and he can just pick the strikes he likes.

[Edit]: Do you have to use that annoying font?

Togath
2011-08-09, 04:29 AM
I had missed the power attack part of exotic weapon master, that gives him a better feat array(or at least helps to decide his feat array), and he wanted to be able to craft weapons anyway, I'll suggest the cutlass(from stormwrack) or the double Scimitar to him.

Do you have to use that annoying font?
changed to it standard to make things easier to read

Greenish
2011-08-09, 04:36 AM
I had missed the power attack part of exotic weapon master, that gives him a better feat array(or at least helps to decide his feat array), and he wanted to be able to craft weapons anyway, I'll suggest the cutlass(from stormwrack) or the double Scimitar to him.He needs one-handed exotic weapon. Cutlass is martial, double scimitar doesn't work.

Falcata from PF SRD (and APG) might be something to look at, though.

changed to it standard to make things easier to readCheers.

Togath
2011-08-09, 04:42 AM
Hadn't relized the cutlass was a normal weapon, falcata looks like it could work, though there was also the sawtooth sabre, which can be treated as a light weapon for twf, making his feat cost lower, I also added a skill list, the craft weaving and profession sailor are fluff skills he wanted his character to have.
edit: sorry about the font thing, its an impulse, similar to how I type extra Os on the ends of words some times when I get tired.

Greenish
2011-08-09, 04:47 AM
though there was also the sawtooth sabre, which can be treated as a light weapon for twfGood catch. There are also Dragonsplits in MMIV (page 151) with the same property.

Togath
2011-08-09, 04:58 AM
Also a quistion about feats; am I correct that a higher attack bonus would be better then a higher initiative for this build?, as it uses both power attack and twf

Greenish
2011-08-09, 05:07 AM
Going first allows attacking flat footed enemies.

[Edit]: As far as I recall, none of the warblade bonus feats increase the attack bonus, but I might be wrong.

Togath
2011-08-09, 05:13 AM
Hadn't noticed that, I'll change the bonus feat to improved initiative and make power attack the 3rd level feat.

Cog
2011-08-09, 05:29 AM
duel wielding
A Goliath with the Rock Hurling line of feats, leading into Fling Ally and Fling Enemy, could wield both members of a duel and even use them at range...

...Oh.

Greenish
2011-08-09, 05:48 AM
Out of curiosity, what was he before the revamp?

Togath
2011-08-09, 06:48 AM
A single classed 3.5 rogue duel wielding longswords refluffed as cutlasses