PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question - Animate Dead

Elboxo
2011-08-09, 05:39 AM
Does the spell allow you to touch more than one target per casting? It says the target is one or more corpses touched, so this means you cast it and then walk around touching corpses? ( Duration is instantaneous ) Or do you set the corpses up beside you then cast it?

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-09, 06:17 AM
Even if a touch spell is instantaneous, you can still hold the charge until you've touched the required number of targets.

"Instantaneous" applies to the magic you bestow on the corpse, not the magical charge in your hand.

Elboxo
2011-08-09, 03:55 PM
Even if a touch spell is instantaneous, you can still hold the charge until you've touched the required number of targets.

"Instantaneous" applies to the magic you bestow on the corpse, not the magical charge in your hand.

Aaaah so you can touch tour HD limit of zombies/skeles, I see, thanks, so this just comes under holding the charge then

Lans
2011-08-11, 07:04 PM
I thought their was a limit like 8 touches or something in the bowels of the rules

beyond reality
2011-08-11, 07:13 PM
According to the SRD, you can touch as many targets as you can reach, but all targets must be touched in the same round. You can't split it up.

However, since dead bodies are just objects there's no reason you can't pile several side-by-side. They don't follow rules for occupying spaces.

Elboxo
2011-08-12, 05:13 AM
According to the SRD, you can touch as many targets as you can reach, but all targets must be touched in the same round. You can't split it up.

However, since dead bodies are just objects there's no reason you can't pile several side-by-side. They don't follow rules for occupying spaces.

Excellent.....

Coidzor
2011-08-13, 01:35 AM
also, throw up a desecrate & you can animate all of the undead you can control in one casting (and even one undead) so that you can get more powerful undead minions created. Also, with Deathbound Domain, you can actually break your undead controllable cap by creating more than you could normally control & keeping them due to having created them with one casting.

Anything made before them that you still had would be lost though.

Elboxo
2011-08-13, 07:53 PM
also, throw up a desecrate & you can animate all of the undead you can control in one casting (and even one undead) so that you can get more powerful undead minions created. Also, with Deathbound Domain, you can actually break your undead controllable cap by creating more than you could normally control & keeping them due to having created them with one casting.

Anything made before them that you still had would be lost though.

Thanks, as for the domains... Playing a wizard so yeah.. lol no domain bonuses for me

stainboy
2011-08-13, 08:03 PM

I'm disputing the bolded part. Resurrection targets a "dead creature" and undead templates apply to creatures.

You're right though, I don't see anything stopping you from piling multiple dead creatures into a space. And even if there is no DM in the world will hold you to it.

Elboxo
2011-08-13, 10:03 PM
I'm disputing the bolded part. Resurrection targets a "dead creature" and undead templates apply to creatures.

You're right though, I don't see anything stopping you from piling multiple dead creatures into a space. And even if there is no DM in the world will hold you to it.

Yeah, i could always be an ass and pile up the bodies first without giving any intention, making sure they are like in a circle or something. Then tell the DM i'm casting animate dead. Muahahahaha