PDA

View Full Version : Break this! A TWF fix. [D&D 3.5]

Greenish
2011-08-09, 06:14 AM
As printed, TWF has very high opportunity cost for a fighting style common in fantasy, so many a homebrew has been suggested for it. The idea of using Snap Kick style mechanism isn't my own, but I figured I'd codify it anyway. Please point out how broken and/or sucky the following suggestion is:

Two-Weapon Fighting [General]
You can fight with a weapon in each hand.

Prerequisite
Dex 13.

Benefit
Every time you make an attack (including standard action, part of a full attack action, or even strike maneuver) with your mainhand weapon, you may take -2 penalty to the attack and also make an attack with your offhand weapon at the same attack bonus (including the penalty). You cannot use this option with attacks from natural weapons other than unarmed strikes.

Normal
If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. When fighting in this way you suffer a -6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a -10 penalty to the attack with your off hand. If your off-hand weapon is light the penalties are reduced by 2 each. (An unarmed strike is always considered light.)

Special
A 2nd-level ranger who has chosen the two-weapon combat style is treated as having Two-Weapon Fighting, even if he does not have the prerequisite for it, but only when he is wearing light or no armor.

A fighter may select Two-Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

And yeah, it's basically TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PTWF, OTWF, Dual Strike, Two-Weapon Pounce and Double Hit rolled into one feat (and replaces all of said feats, as well as Snap Kick).

[Edit]: Included a line about it not working with natural weapons. Sorry, totemists.

gkathellar
2011-08-09, 06:40 AM
An elegant, effective fix. Bravo!

One thing: are you going to roll out a Two-Weapon Defense fix as well? It strikes me that if you do, you shouldn't have TWF as a prerequisite, and that you could either have them as essentially different fighting styles or place TWD as a prereq for TWF (just to satisfy the swordsmanship nerds on the board).

Greenish
2011-08-09, 07:36 AM
Two-weapon Defense… I don't know what to do with it. Burning a feat just to get some AC is boring and probably too weak or too strong unless it scales.
Hmm, I guess it could scale with BAB, but it's still boring.

Prerequisite for TWF it won't be, paying a feat and attack penalty should be enough.

One could copy Wall of Blades, something like "when wielding two weapons or a double weapon, you may make an attack roll and use it as your AC against a single attack as an immediate action", perhaps, though it'd have some prerequisite or another to stop you from taking it on lowest levels.

Merk
2011-08-09, 08:38 AM
Comparing the "Benefit" and "Normal" sections, it seems this allows for dual wielding one handed weapons like long swords at no additional penalty. I think that's fine, but is that intended?

Greenish
2011-08-09, 08:51 AM
Comparing the "Benefit" and "Normal" sections, it seems this allows for dual wielding one handed weapons like long swords at no additional penalty. I think that's fine, but is that intended?Yes, it's intended, seems I forgot to mention Oversized TWF as one of the feats it replaces.

Exotic Weapon Master's Uncanny Blow might be tad much, but it's not like you couldn't pull that one off before.

Cieyrin
2011-08-09, 12:25 PM
I was briefly confused by PTWF but then I realized it was referring to the epic feat.

Seems alright but how does it interact with Snap Kick? Is it meant to replace it as a more versatile varient or could you have both for 2 extra attacks at a -4 penalty and that much closer to a Flurry of Misses?

Greenish
2011-08-09, 12:37 PM
Seems alright but how does it interact with Snap Kick? Is it meant to replace it as a more versatile varient or could you have both for 2 extra attacks at a -4 penalty and that much closer to a Flurry of Misses?I don't know. Snap Kick doesn't specify that the extra attack would be an offhand one, so you could technically have infinite chain.

I think it could replace Snap Kick, too. If some DM doesn't allow TWF with just unarmed strikes, well, there's Scorpion Kama.