PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder, 3.P] How does one represent a racial tendency toward mutation?

Alchemistmerlin
2011-08-09, 11:15 AM
In my campaign world my Goblins are a racial offshoot of Gnomes who have spent too much time in the darker, more primal parts of the world. They have touched eldritch magics effectively unknown to the wider world and, as such, have a tendency to mutate from exposure to these energies.

Trolls, bullywugs, hobgoblins, goblin-snakes, and more are all mutated Goblins who have touched the unknowable energies of the dark parts of the unexplored territories.

However, I also want just plain goblins available as a playable race, who have not mutated but are still touched by the unpredictable magics of their evil-er kin.

So I'm struggling to figure out how to create a racial feature that is a balanced and standardized representation of the unstable physical nature of goblins?

I already have a race that gets Disguise Self as a spell like ability, which was a possibility previously put forward. I already plan on making a few racial feats/traits which could further flesh this out, but I wanted to try and come up with something that they get by default. I also considered just giving them the human "+2 to a stat of their choosing" but that seems rather...dull.

Rogue Shadows
2011-08-09, 11:22 AM
Do you have access to the Monster Manual? (3.5, that is)

The Slaadi are your friend, then. Their entry has a table that allows you to roll a d% to get a random mutation.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-08-09, 12:31 PM
Do you have access to the Monster Manual? (3.5, that is)

The Slaadi are your friend, then. Their entry has a table that allows you to roll a d% to get a random mutation.

I don't have access to it at work, but I certainly do have access to it. How does that play out for an LA +0 race though?

Rogue Shadows
2011-08-09, 11:35 PM
I don't have access to it at work, but I certainly do have access to it. How does that play out for an LA +0 race though?

Well, hang on, let me get my copy out...

..wait...

...wait!

Ahh! Where did it go?! I remember it being there...!

Stupid 3.5...hang on, let me see if I can find my 3.0 Monster Manual...

EDIT
Ugh, that's right, I sold it.

Hmph.

Okay, instead I'm going to direct you to the d20 Modern SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd). Scroll down to the Future section and click on "mutations"

That should give you a somewhat more complicated, but probably much better balanced, system for creating mutations.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-08-10, 07:56 AM
Well, hang on, let me get my copy out...

..wait...

...wait!

Ahh! Where did it go?! I remember it being there...!

Stupid 3.5...hang on, let me see if I can find my 3.0 Monster Manual...

EDIT
Ugh, that's right, I sold it.

Hmph.

Okay, instead I'm going to direct you to the d20 Modern SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd). Scroll down to the Future section and click on "mutations"

That should give you a somewhat more complicated, but probably much better balanced, system for creating mutations.
Neat!

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Ashtagon
2011-08-10, 09:17 AM
A less random way would be to make a menu of beneficial mutations into race-specific feats.

For the bad mutations, you could make them into race-specific flaws.

The d20 Modern rules contain rules for mutations. I don't think those are all that well-made though.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-08-10, 10:05 AM
A less random way would be to make a menu of beneficial mutations into race-specific feats.

For the bad mutations, you could make them into race-specific flaws.

The d20 Modern rules contain rules for mutations. I don't think those are all that well-made though.

I am planning on making a number of feats or feat chains for goblins (or goblin-blooded sorcerers possibly) to explore and expand upon their weird mutant heritage, but I was trying to find just something to add as a racial starting ability.

I had considered making a list of beneficial mutations and a list of harmful mutations and saying that the goblin player had to choose one from each at creation, though I'm not sure I trust myself to make that balanced for a level 1 character.

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-10, 11:44 AM
If you want something really basic, just give goblins a +2 bonus to a skill check of their choice from their mutation and perhaps make charisma their bad ability score instead of strength (the mutation strengthens them but leaves them deformed). A +2 to climb checks might mean extra fingers, a +2 to spot checks may mean insectile eyes, and a +2 to a knowledge check may involve an extra lobe of the brain and bulbous skull.

Of course, that's just a very basic idea.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-08-10, 02:58 PM
If you want something really basic, just give goblins a +2 bonus to a skill check of their choice from their mutation and perhaps make charisma their bad ability score instead of strength (the mutation strengthens them but leaves them deformed). A +2 to climb checks might mean extra fingers, a +2 to spot checks may mean insectile eyes, and a +2 to a knowledge check may involve an extra lobe of the brain and bulbous skull.

Of course, that's just a very basic idea.

I actually hadn't thought about making it a skill bonus, that's a very interesting concept.

Maquise
2012-10-11, 11:33 AM
You could also refer to the Ogrekin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/ogrekin-cr-1) for a reference.