PDA

View Full Version : BAB Progression Rates

Stubbazubba
2011-08-09, 01:34 PM
Another thread on this board sparked an idea in my mind, an idea to roll Abilities and Skills into level-based progression mechanic a la BAB, but having a number of them based on Skillsets (i.e. Base Stealth, Base Magic, Base Wilderness).

Now, the question I pose to the Playground is; are 3/4 and 1/2 good proportions for BAB that keep classes distinct but still functional? Are classes with 1/2 BAB distinct enough from 3/4 BAB classes, or are they both equally dependent on class features to contribute, ignoring BAB completely? Is 3/4 BAB too close to Full, too far, or just right?

Drachasor
2011-08-09, 02:07 PM
Hmm, personally, I am not even sure there should be different rates. Ideally speaking, of course. That said, I'd most lean towards saying 1/2 wasn't needed and everyone should be 3/4 or Full. Tier 1 and 2 classes make such a thing a bit problematic (but I don't think modifying classes below those Tiers would be detrimental).

Well, if you somehow came up with a balanced game, I'd lean towards making BAB matter to everyone (like 4th does, which I think is one of the good things it does), and use the same progression for all.

SowZ
2011-08-09, 02:10 PM
Another thread on this board sparked an idea in my mind, an idea to roll Abilities and Skills into level-based progression mechanic a la BAB, but having a number of them based on Skillsets (i.e. Base Stealth, Base Magic, Base Wilderness).

Now, the question I pose to the Playground is; are 3/4 and 1/2 good proportions for BAB that keep classes distinct but still functional? Are classes with 1/2 BAB distinct enough from 3/4 BAB classes, or are they both equally dependent on class features to contribute, ignoring BAB completely? Is 3/4 BAB too close to Full, too far, or just right?

For druids and clerics, 3/4 BAB is too much. A rogue, who is based around combat, (albeit sneaky combat,) should have better BAB then someone who has studied faith and religion or nature and magic. 1/2 BAB for all true casters is better. 3/4 BAB for marital classes with good class features is fine. Full BAB for those who mostly really on fighting is needed. But beyond level 3-5 or so, class features and special abilities start mattering so much more then a small bonus to hit that it isn't that big of a deal for balancing characters.