PDA

View Full Version : Essentials with WBL 20

Major
2011-08-09, 04:38 PM
Alright, so our DM is having a weird mini type session thing. Basically its a warp to the past golden era type thing or something. Point is he had us make some characters from the past to play during these times.

We are around level 10 and got WBL 20. DM made a house rule where you can take a Prestige class at the level you meet the pre-reqs (but only as this ancient race).

As such I'm a Totemist 2/Rogue 1/spellthief 1/ fighter 2/shadow Lord 4

Yes, yes it isn't optimal, but it got me into Shadow Lord and got shadow pounce by level 10.

Anyways, long story short, what are items that I should get with my WBL 20?

I already figured a belt of magnificence. What are other must haves?

Edit: Do note for fluff reasons and the fact I rarely play 2handed fighters I'm going the power attack route with this guy. Teleport, one big hit. (well, technically two since my bab is +8/+3).

I might be stuck with a hammer, not sure. But I need a good weapon, armor, etc suggestion. (do note I got pretty nice dex thanks to the fact that the belt of magnificence and ancient power thing. Without the belt my dex is 18) so keep that in mind for max dex with armor suggestion.

ericgrau
2011-08-09, 10:15 PM
Lemme pull the list off my epic character, removing build-specific things; please excuse the many copy-paste errors I really just yanked this out of an old file:

{table] Body Slotted |
Ring of Evasion |
Ring of Protection +5 |
Ring of Freedom of Movement | Continuous
Amulet of Natural Armor +5 |
Boots of Speed |
Mithral Buckler +5, blueshine |
Cloak of Etherealness | Silver grey cloak, 10 minutes etherealness per day (need not be continuous)
Celestial Armor | add higher enhancement bonus, slipperiness
Circlet of Persuasion | Silver headband, +3 competence bonus to charisma based skill checks
Belt of Battle |
|
|
Pocketed / Belted / Sheated / Etc. |
Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone | +1 competence bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks, and ability checks. AB does not stack with bracers. Orbits head when in use (AC 24)
Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone | +1 insight bonus to AC. Orbits head when in use (AC 24)
Luckstone | +1 luck bonus on saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks
Portable Hole x 2 | "6' D x 10' deep, enough air for 1 person to last 10 minutes. Hole #2: Currently Empty
Hole #1: see ""Portable Hole #1 section"" below"
Well of Many Worlds |
|
UTILITY ITEMS |
Description | Notes
Total (weight = in Handy Haversack) | 120 lb. max, weight of expendables is included
Handy Haversack | 80 lb. + 20 lb. + 20 lb., holds items below and expendable items
Level 1 Pearl of Power x 10 | Standard Action to recall 1st level spell
Ring Gates | Transfer items, even attacks from 1 ring to the other, 100 lb. limit, DC 13 escape artist small creature to fit through
Immovable Rod x 8 | 8,000 lbs., DC 30 strength check to move 10 feet
Instant Fortress x 1 | 20'x20'x30' high, 10' deep foundation adamantine tower. Door faces owner and opens and closes instantly on command, is immune to knock. Arrow slits inside, crenallations on top. 100 HP, 20 hardness, only wish or miracle can repair 50 HP. Anyone in the
Lyre of Building (CL 6) | "1/day: All inanimate constructions within 300 feet are immune to damage for 30 minutes
1/week: 30 minutes of playing equals 300 man-days of construction work. DC 18 perform check to keep playing for each hour after the first."
Masterwork Net | -4 nonproficiency penalty, -4 to rethrow unfolded net (-8 total on 2nd throw), 40' range increment, ranged touch attack, entangles on a hit, opposed strength check to hold attached rope, 5 HP, DC 20 escape artist or DC 25 strength check (both a full round
Bottle of Ink x 16, pens | each one wrapped in absorbant cloth, tied on with string
Waterskin | wrapped in absorbant cloth, tied on with string
Rod of Metal and Mineral Detection | 30 foot range. Full round action to find direction and approximate quantity of specified metal or mineral. Default setting finds any metal.
|
Pets |
Silver Raven Figure of Wondrous Power | "Poe", 24 hours per week (need not be continuous), metal bird (hardness 10), delivers messages like animal messenger spell
Marble Elephant Figurine of Wondrous Power | """Stampy #2"", Becomes an elephant for 24 hours up to 4 times per month (huge, 104 HP, 30 strength, 9000 lbs., 40' speed), Slam +16 melee (2d6+10) and 2 stamps +11 melee (2d6+5);
or gore +16 melee (2d8+15)"
10'x10' Carpet of Flying | "Johnny", 800 lb. capacity or 1600 lbs. at 30' speed, Fly 40' (average) (80' on a double move = 9 mph), may hover, may be controlled by verbal commands if in voice range
Obsidian Steed | "Nightmare", Small statue becomes a full sized warhorse 1/week. Lasts up to 24 hours. Can planeshift, overland flight and ethereal jaunt once per round at will, taking rider with him. But when summoned and mounted it has a 10% chance of plane shifting
|
Mobility |
Rope of Climbing | 60' autonomous rope, 50' when knotted (knots self, snakes upward, ties itself to things, etc. on command)
Bottle of Air | Standard Action to refill breath
Pearl of the Sirines | Breathe water, 60' swim speed, attack and cast without penalty while underwater (note: arrows are ?still? -2 AB per 5 feet)
Dust of Dryness x 10 | Absorb up to 100 gallons of water into a bead (5 foot cube ~= 1000 gallons), bead may be thrown to re-release water
Slippers of Spider Climbing | 10 minutes/day, need not be consecutive; doesn't work on severe surfaces like ice and grease. Both hands remain free.
|
|
Sight |
Lense of Detection | +5 to search checks and survival checks to follow tracks (when worn)
Eyes of the Eagle | +5 to spot checks (when worn)
Gem of Seeing | 30 minutes per day true seeing, time need not be consecutive
Ring of X-Ray Vision | command word, any 10 minutes/day, +1 min per con damage expended, 1 foot stone/metal, 3 foot dirt, thin sheet of lead.
Goggles of the Night | Grants 60' Darkvision (when worn)
|
|
Backup Gear |
Dusty Rose Prism Ioun stone x 2 | backup (3 stones total)
Rod of Lesser Quicken Spell | 1x backup (2 rods total)
|
In Portable Hole #1 |
Masterwork locked gauntlet | +5 lb., +10 to resist disarm checks, full round action that provokes to remove weapon

Tree Feather Token x 20 | Creates a great oak with a 5' trunk, 60' height and 40' canopy
Swan Boat Feather Token x 10 | Creates a swan boat with 60' speed that lasts for 1 day; holds 8 horses or 32 people or etc.
Dust of Illusion x 30 | Targetable disguise self (dust tosser envisions illusion), lasts 2 hours
Dust of Appearance x 10 | Foils illusions and invisibility in 10' radius when tossed, -30 on hide checks
Dust of Disappearance x 10 | Greater invisibility for 2d6 rounds (DM rolls secretly) to creatures in 10' radius when tossed. Cannot be detectable by magical means (even see invisiblity and so on), except dust of appearance.
Ungent of Timelessness x 10 (=80 uses) | 8 medium creature uses (1/2x uses per size category), lasts forever, once living matter ages only 1 day each year
Silversheen x 10 | Apply to weapon (or 20 arrows) as a standard action to effectively make it silver for 1 hour; existing metal is suppressed
Elixer of Swimming x 10 | +10 competence bonus to swim checks for 1 hour
Sovereign Glue x 6 | Items must be held together for an entire round or the glue fails. Nothing except universal solvent may separate.
Universal Solvent x 15 | Dissolves sovereign glue and tanglefoot bags, standard action to apply
Salve of Slipperiness x 5 | +20 competence bonus on escape artist checks for 1 hour; magical obstructions like web do not impede user
Restorative Ointment x 2 (5 uses per jar) | Neutralize poison, remove disease or CLW 1d8+5
Marvelous Pigments | 10 minutes and DC 15 craft (painting) check to make mundane items, even weapons and food, rare materials replaced with cheaper imitations; limit: 2,000 gp worth of items or 1000 cubic feet or 100 square feet of painting surface
3'x4' canvas with frame |
Darkwood Easle | Darkwood halves weight from 10 lbs. to 5 lbs.
|
Potions and Oils |
Potion of Spider Climb x 10 | 30 minutes
Hide from Undead x 12 | 10 minutes, undetectable to non-intelligent undead
Oil of invisibility x 10 | 3 minutes, 1 creature or an object up to 300 lbs.
Potion of Remove Paralysis x 10 |
Potion of Reduce Person x 20 | 1 minute
|
Staff and Wands |
Empowered False Life | Personal, 7 hours, grants (1d10+7)*1.5 temporary hitpoints
Extended See Invisibility, CL 20 | Personal, 6 hours 40 minutes, range = visible range, sees invisible and ethereal
Greater Invisibility (25 charges) | 7 rounds
Extended Sleet Storm (25 charges) | 14 rounds, 680' range, 40' radius x 20' high, -4 listen checks, DC 10 balance to move (and flat-footed if less than 5 ranks in balance), move at half speed
Solid Fog (25 charges) | 7 minutes, 170' range, 20' radius, move action to move 5 feet
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (25 charges) | 7 minutes, 40' range, dismissable, 7 foot diameter force bubble, easy reflex save to avoid
Dimension Door (25 charges) | 680', up to 2 other willing creatures
Detect Undead | 1 minute / concentration, 60' cone; provides Y/N, #, where? + >=11 HD?
Prestidigitation | 1 hour, 10' range; limits per round: 1 lb., 1 cubic foot
[/table]

I was more or less playing a fighter that could do anything via magic items, which was fun. At this point you can get use magic device even with cross-class ranks, or dip a single caster level (1 wizard level works even for 9th level spells in staffs). So you might as well grab wands and staffs. I didn't include my staffs, because staffs basically give you whatever high level spells you want, and you should pick those. You can't quite afford everything yet, but at 700,000 gp you can get most of the items you like with little trouble and still have plenty of room for your main combat items.

Your weapon should be a falchion for the massive crits, or a scythe if you want to take improved trip too. Even when you can't crit you only lose 2 points of damage vs. another weapon. Make it +1 spell storing with +8 worth of other damage enchantments. Collision and holy are usually safe bets. My favorite stored spells include inflict serious wounds, vampiric touch and poison. A rod of lesser quicken spell + true strike (from a dip, perhaps) + glove of storing to quickly retrieve and store the rod can help your power attacks auto-hit. Or likewise with some swift wand spell. Otherwise if you can't get around the attack roll penalty power attack is really lousy when your damage is already so high from massive enchantments.

Your armor should probably be celestial armor if you can manage the dex(look it up in the SRD), increased to +5. High AC, built in flight. If you don't have so much dex then you go mithril full plate instead and don't forget to get another source of flight, as it's not on my list above. Also missing is protection from evil / magic circle against evil for anti-domination, since I actually used the epic armor of the celestial battalion for that.

Istari
2011-08-09, 10:33 PM
Pretty handy list here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851)

DeAnno
2011-08-10, 12:07 AM
A Continuous Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (Tome of Magic) is very good for a wide variety of reasons, and you should have one if its legal.

If you use armor/shields they should have the Ghost Touch property so their Enhancement bonus applies to Touch AC.

Being Melee focused (especially with power attack), you may want a +1 Brilliant Energy Weapon at least (Value 50,000gc for the bare bones version). It can't hurt Undeads or Constructs, so it should either be your backup weapon, or you should have a good backup weapon specifically for them.

If you're heavily invested in Sneak Attack or other forms of precision damage (which you are if you have Craven on that Rogue), you want appropriate Demolition and Truedeath crystals out of the MiC to deal it to Constructs/Undeads.

Are you allowed to use MiC item creation ability stacking rules? (enhancement bonuses stack free, other bonuses cause the lesser stacked bonus to cost 50% more). If so you should make sure to load your slotted items up with some more useful lesser powers.