PDA

View Full Version : Reprinting game text?

PirateMuggle
2011-08-09, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking of eventually running a game under a particular system. Now, this system is somewhat obscure, so it's unlikely that a lot of people will have it. So either I don't get any players, or I reprint sections of the manual.

I don't mean scanning and posting the scans, I just mean cutting and pasting the text itself from a clean PDF. I would need to basically put parts of the character creation section, plus the level one spells. As the players level up, I'd need to add spell levels, of course. It isn't a large section of the rule book, but there would be a reasonable amount of text.

Or if this isn't allowed, how much paraphrasing would be ok? Could I, for example, say "Here are the stats, roll 3d6 for those, here are the derived stats, here are the races/classes, here are the names of the spells, Light does what it sounds like, Zap isn't an attack spell but instead charges up technological devices for 3d4 power..." and so on? It would be a lot of typing, I suppose, but I guess I could do it if copying the text isn't allowed.

Trixie
2011-08-09, 07:01 PM
It all depends on what copyright the material in question posses, so it's kind of impossible to tell without that.

Mystic Muse
2011-08-09, 07:02 PM
Also, good rule of thumb. If you have any doubts about whether something is board legal, it's best not to post it at all.

Roland St. Jude
2011-08-09, 07:06 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Copying any but a very small amount of text for discussion purposes is prohibited. So what you suggest regarding copying text is not allowed. Describing everything to someone in your own words, while cumbersome, isn't as much of an issue. You'll have a lot more leeway. But your best bet really is to put in the recruitment thread that people must have access to the game to play, and if you can't round up sufficient people here, try elsewhere.