PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler build (need help)

Bagger
2011-08-09, 06:49 PM
hey guys here is a challenge ;)

I find my self in need of some help.

me and some friends are making a 3 sesson game, where we made a long list of themes to make characters from, and now we got 72h to make the character before the game start.

and I was so lucky to pull this:

"rules: level 6, no +ACL races, Human prefered.

theme: It have to be a swashbuckler/charlatan/scoundrel type using at least a rapier as a main weapon, offhand weapon is costume

So atm I am Thinking Swashbuckler and with high Int and High Dex.

with Rapier and dagger in offhand.

TWF feat
Craven feat

maybe a rogue level, but we get extra credit if we don't level dib, but it is allowed.

Hope you guys can help me :D

Greenish
2011-08-09, 07:38 PM
Changeling Feat Rogue2 (with Changeling Rogue 1 sub level)/warblade4.

Feats: Able Learner, Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip, Knock-Down, Combat Reflexes.

You get good skills (with Skill Mastery on most social skills), excellent skill points ([10+int]x4 at first level), can look and act like anyone, get Int-synergy from warblade (int to ref save and crit confirmation), get maneuvers to really milk that rapier, dirty fighting (stab the enemy, trip them up and stab them while they're down), stuff like that.

Weapon of choice is obviously Swordcane (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070314a), you'll be decked out on mithral chain shirt under Vestments of Many Styles, and have a bunch of daggers hidden on your person.

Psyren
2011-08-09, 09:16 PM
Weapon of choice is obviously Swordcane (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070314a), you'll be decked out on mithral chain shirt under Vestments of Many Styles, and have a bunch of daggers hidden on your person.

Damn, I love It's Not Outside. I really want to make a character with a weighted cloak now.:smallsmile:

gorfnab
2011-08-09, 11:21 PM
Human Basic Daring Outlaw

1. Rogue - Able Learner (PGtF), Craven
2. Swashbuckler - B: Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Two Weapon Fighting
4. Rogue - (Penetrating Strike ACF, DS)
5. Rogue or Swashbuckler
6. Swashbuckler - Daring Outlaw (CS)
7. Swashbuckler
8. Swashbuckler
9. Swashbuckler - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10. Swashbuckler
11. Swashbuckler
12. Swashbuckler - Greater Two Weapon Fighting
13. Swashbuckler
14. Swashbuckler
15. Swashbuckler - *Open Feat
16. Swashbuckler
17. Swashbuckler
18. Swashbuckler - *Open Feat
19. Swashbuckler
20. Swashbuckler

*Open Feat Ideas*
Combat Reflexes, Darkstalker, Staggering Strike, Maiming Strike, Improved Critical, any other Ambush feats
Or
Mage Slayer feat + Pierce Magical Concealment feat + a Ring of Blinking = insures sneak attack in most situations.

A level of Barbarian with Lion Totem ACF (CC) for pounce is nice. Two levels of Swordsage later in build (levels 7 and 8 or 9 and 10) for Assassins Stance and Shadowblade feat is also nice.

Here are two "Swashbuckler" style builds I've toyed with recently that both fight with a one-handed weapon and nothing in the offhand.

Human
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Human
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - EWP Broadblade Shortword (pre-errata version) B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Deadly Defense
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Duelist
12. Duelist - Combat Reflexes
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Karmic Strike, Improved Combat Expertise, or Snap Kick
19. Duelist - B: Deflect Arrows
20. Duelist

If you can't get or don't want EWP: Broadblade Shortsword, move Combat Reflexes to 3rd level and add Snap Kick (best option) or Improved Combat Expertise (decent option) to 12th level

Also take a look into the fantasy novel Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. The rapier and dagger fighting in the book is extremely well researched.

TwylyghT
2011-08-10, 01:02 AM
Well as a starting point i'd be tempted to try something like...

1. Bard (TWF, Force of Personality)
2. Bard
3. Bard (Song of the Heart)
4. Swashbuckler (B: Weapon Finesse)
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swashbuckler (Open)
7+ Bard

For your bard abilities use "Perform:(Combat Bravado)" AKA Oratory :smallbiggrin:
Inspirational Boost for one of your 1st level spells
Song of The Heart feat at level 3

You get the charming silver tongued scoundrel that can talk himself around most avoidable fights, and when he can't avoid them, talk his way *through* the fight, spurring on himself and allies and leaving enemies perplexed.

If you can take the slight visual flavor change, using 2 daggers instead of rapier/dagger opens you up to take Snowflake Wardance at level 6.

Bagger
2011-08-10, 05:43 AM
guys. this character aint gonna go higher then level 6.

but thanks for all the ideas :)

Bagger
2011-08-10, 08:26 AM
Force of Personality.... why? dont get why I need more turn Undead ???

Devmaar
2011-08-10, 10:22 AM
Force of Personality gives Cha to Will instead of Wis, though iirc only against Mind-Afffecting

FMArthur
2011-08-10, 10:39 AM
Factotum 6. Swashbuckler is a bad class, even just for 3 levels for Insightful Strike. Factotums have more skill points and boosts to skills, the best possible skill list (all skills!), more interesting combat abilities, more powerful combat abilities, and are fuelled by pure cleverness. What's not to like?

Alternatively, Warblade 6 is a stronger melee combatant and has the BAB to get that extra attack at 6th level. Poorer skills but still partly fuelled by their cleverness and tactical awareness.

Alternatively alternatively, Bard 6. Take Snowflake Wardance and Extra Music. Be ridiculously charming, competent in melee and add your supporting power to your allies. If you're not allowed to sing, use Perform: Oratory or Puns or whatever you like instead.

TwylyghT
2011-08-10, 05:24 PM
Force of Personality gives Cha to Will instead of Wis, though iirc only against Mind-Afffecting

This is correct.

Factotum 6. Swashbuckler is a bad class, even just for 3 levels for Insightful Strike. Factotums have more skill points and boosts to skills, the best possible skill list (all skills!), more interesting combat abilities, more powerful combat abilities, and are fuelled by pure cleverness. What's not to like?

Alternatively, Warblade 6 is a stronger melee combatant and has the BAB to get that extra attack at 6th level. Poorer skills but still partly fuelled by their cleverness and tactical awareness.

Alternatively alternatively, Bard 6. Take Snowflake Wardance and Extra Music. Be ridiculously charming, competent in melee and add your supporting power to your allies. If you're not allowed to sing, use Perform: Oratory or Puns or whatever you like instead.

Factotem would work pretty good.

I actually like Swashbuckler more than most seem to, atleast as a dipper. But I can not argue that is quite suboptimal.

Pure Bard is an ideas I can fully support. :smallbiggrin:

Bagger
2011-08-10, 06:04 PM
I like the bard / swashbuckler build, not that it is the best, just liked the idea, its chanced to two daggers for snowflask battledance :)

anyone got some ideas to prestige classes???

TwylyghT
2011-08-10, 07:27 PM
I like the bard / swashbuckler build, not that it is the best, just liked the idea, its chanced to two daggers for snowflask battledance :)

anyone got some ideas to prestige classes???

If its really going to be stuck at level 6, I wouldnt worry about prestiege classes.

If it does go past level 6 with the Bard/Swashbuckler base as a start, there may be no better setup to actually take a stab (no pun intended) at the Arcane Duelist. It is very much a flavor choice, and again not exactly a optimization power house, but alot of neat toys along the way. As far as visual flavor goes, Flurry of Swords has to be one of the greatest abilities ever.

Im sure the minds here on the boards can turn it into a total death enigine with other options though lol.