PDA

View Full Version : Anything Mundane

hobbitkniver
2011-08-09, 08:22 PM
So we're playing a high level, low-magic campaign and I'm allowed to have just about anything as long as it isn't magic. This means mithral and such is allowed, but no +1's. I'm going to be a cleric... any suggestions? I really can't think of anything useful besides weapons and armor, and I can't have anything with magic no matter how weak it may be. My GP budget is through the roof and you might as well ignore prices for now. Thanks in advance.

OverdrivePrime
2011-08-09, 08:24 PM
Can you have structures? A heavily-defended temple? What about siege equipment or dirigibles?

hobbitkniver
2011-08-09, 08:26 PM
Can you have structures? A heavily-defended temple? What about siege equipment or dirigibles?

I think we'll be moving around a lot, so its better to stick to equipment probably.

Anxe
2011-08-09, 08:28 PM
Hire an army!

Daftendirekt
2011-08-09, 08:31 PM
I think we'll be moving around a lot, so its better to stick to equipment probably.

I fail to see how a dirigible wouldn't help you move around.

Zale
2011-08-09, 08:33 PM
Hire an army of house cats and take over the world.

The commoners will fall. :smallamused:

hobbitkniver
2011-08-09, 08:33 PM

I mean, I'd probably ruffle a few feathers and it's just not worth it.

Luckmann
2011-08-09, 08:34 PM
Low-magic, but you're still allowed to be a Cleric at full power? :smallconfused:

Anderlith
2011-08-09, 08:35 PM
Mithral Fullplate, or Addy Fullplate.

Also buy an Airship.

& a flock of chickens. The chicken's will feed you & can be used to set off traps so there is little use for a rogue.

Also buy bulk in potions if allowed, & Alchemist items

Vandicus
2011-08-09, 08:37 PM
Poison, the bomb things from Oriental Adventures, minions. If I were you, I'd establish a number of safe houses that you'd familiarize yourself with if you ever needed to teleport somewhere safe. Mini-fortresses for you and the party to rest in when necessary.

Zale
2011-08-09, 08:39 PM
So..

No magic items?

Stix
2011-08-09, 08:52 PM
anything nonmagical? i suggest

a gun.

hobbitkniver
2011-08-09, 08:54 PM
Low-magic, but you're still allowed to be a Cleric at full power? :smallconfused:

I don't pretend to understand what this DM is thinking. It's better just to go with it.

So..

No magic items?

Thats correct. No magic items to start with at least.

anything nonmagical? i suggest

a gun.
Thats not a bad idea except I can't picture a cleric who uses a gun.

Greenish
2011-08-09, 08:58 PM
Low-magic, but you're still allowed to be a Cleric at full power? :smallconfused:"Low-magic" is DM speak for "no magic items, suck it non-casters!"

Zale
2011-08-09, 08:58 PM
Buy some kind of mundane transport.

A Carriage and Two Horses. Plus feed.

Travel in style. :smallcool:

Oh and..

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/yolanda_golden_eagle_3352.jpg

Nuns With Guns.

Luckmann
2011-08-09, 09:06 PM
Thats not a bad idea except I can't picture a cleric who uses a gun.You're joking, right?

http://moviebuzzers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/equilibrium_still.jpg

"Low-magic" is DM speak for "no magic items, suck it non-casters!"My idea of "low-magic" is to immediately ban all full casters. Suck on that, Tier 1. :smallamused:

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-09, 09:17 PM
is alchemical stuff allowed? cause ome of that can be pretty fun.

Acanous
2011-08-09, 09:24 PM
A Warhorse.
Wearing
Adamantine Full Plate Barding.

keep it as long as you want, sell it for a FORTUNE later.

FMArthur
2011-08-09, 09:26 PM
In a high-wealth campaign with no magic items, hired casters take the place of magic items.

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 09:27 PM

+1.
Hahahaha.

Anywho, template-out a horse and buy it? Unless a Half-Dragon Mage-Bred Flying Heavy Warhorse counts as magic.
Or something to that affect.

hobbitkniver
2011-08-09, 10:15 PM
So is there anything besides vehicles that I could get? I know I was reading about mercurial items somewhere, but I can't find them now. If there's some sort of herb to prevent bodies from being reanimated as undead, that'd be perfect.

Edit: Do guns exist outside of PF? Where are they?

Daftendirekt
2011-08-09, 10:18 PM

As if the Equilibrium reference above wasn't enough:

http://images.wikia.com/trigun/images/3/37/Wolfwood_id_trigun_maximum_by_samanosuke89.jpg

Stix
2011-08-09, 10:20 PM

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/223/3/1/Nicholas_D__Wolfwood_by_Dabunny1.jpg

... you know you want to

edit: damn ninja'd

hobbitkniver
2011-08-09, 10:22 PM
I don't need a thousand pictures of animes involving priests with modern guns. My character is going to have to wear full-plate anyways.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-09, 10:29 PM
So is there anything besides vehicles that I could get? I know I was reading about mercurial items somewhere, but I can't find them now. If there's some sort of herb to prevent bodies from being reanimated as undead, that'd be perfect.

Edit: Do guns exist outside of PF? Where are they?

DMG If I remember correctly.

Greenish
2011-08-09, 10:30 PM
Do guns exist outside of PF? Where are they?DMG. There's a Greyhawk god, Murlynd with technopaladin angle, gives paladins a feat to buy and craft firearms.

There's a pretty neat picture of his paladin in Dragon Magazine 306, but I can't find it online.

holywhippet
2011-08-09, 10:35 PM
Hmm, how far afield can you go for ideas? Something from Iron Kingdoms (which is a steampunk setting) could do nicely.

Stix
2011-08-09, 10:38 PM
ok in all seriousness.

if you have obscene amounts of money and no magic items to spend it on there is no logical reason everything you own shouldn't be masterwork.

hirelings may be a bit cheesier than your thinking but a few dozen level 1 warriors with crossbows can be a pretty big help for relatively cheap.

you're a cleric: multiple holy symbols you never want to be without one. get one welded to your full plate. wear a pendant, holy belt buckle holy tattoo or brand if your dm allows it. also for rp reasons everyone's going to see a cleric with a holy symbol and know he's a cleric. they see a cleric wearing 6 and they know this holy man is serious business.

maybe a bit more rp than you were thinking. (also depends on your dm) make a sizable donation to your church. a far spanning organization having extra reasons to like you is never a bad thing.

Mounts: from what i'm hearing magic items are out but casters are A-OK. so reasonably magical creatures are too. get yourself a serious mount... this has been addressed mostly, but having a griffin mount or somesuch is nice.

if all else fails invest: real estate, a business, loans, gems, dragon eggs, art. someting easier to store/hang onto than gold that may increase in value.

Malimar
2011-08-10, 12:25 AM
As if others hadn't already provided copious examples:
"Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killin'?"
"Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."
And yes, I know Book is less a "preacher" and more a "guy who killed a preacher and stole his life".

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-10, 12:36 AM
Mundane things? Well, an army would be nice. As would airships. As would some sort of mecha, even just clockwork armor. Also lots of spellcasting hirelings. Also a castle with a village and a lot of farms around it. Can you be a Baron?

Ravens_cry
2011-08-10, 12:48 AM
Mundane things? Well, an army would be nice. As would airships. As would some sort of mecha, even just clockwork armor. Also lots of spellcasting hirelings. Also a castle with a village and a lot of farms around it. Can you be a Baron?
Thanks to the square/cube law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw), mecha are rather 'magical' in my opinion.
Tanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank#World_War_I) on the other hand . . .

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-10, 01:15 AM
Ah! Several flamethrowers.

What?

Just go with the Byzantine models; they had crew served ones and man portable ones.

YES, this was at a time people were using swords...

DeadManSleeping
2011-08-10, 01:25 AM
Invest it with various banks throughout the world, and use your distributed funds to help the poor and the suffering the world over. Fund farms and orchards. Pay for lower-level clerics to travel and cure disease, bless water, and remove lesser evils which plague the land. Pay for ostentatious gifts towards powers with whom you wish to negotiate. Institute educational systems and fund schools. As your bring the world into an age of peace and prosperity, your name is hailed in every last corner. You never have to pay for a room or a meal, because everyone either knows someone or is someone who is alive because of your efforts. Your name becomes the most popular name for babies of your sex.

Now you're free to blow up evil with a clear conscience. Seems like a good investment to me.

Lord_Gareth
2011-08-10, 01:40 AM
Invest it with various banks throughout the world, and use your distributed funds to help the poor and the suffering the world over. Fund farms and orchards. Pay for lower-level clerics to travel and cure disease, bless water, and remove lesser evils which plague the land. Pay for ostentatious gifts towards powers with whom you wish to negotiate. Institute educational systems and fund schools. As your bring the world into an age of peace and prosperity, your name is hailed in every last corner. You never have to pay for a room or a meal, because everyone either knows someone or is someone who is alive because of your efforts. Your name becomes the most popular name for babies of your sex.

Now you're free to blow up evil with a clear conscience. Seems like a good investment to me.

Thread is over. DMS has claimed it as the throne upon which he issues proclamations to lesser beings such as we.

Rei_Jin
2011-08-10, 01:44 AM
I'd spend all my wealth on Wyrm Ditherbombs (Races of the Dragon), put them all in a sack, go to the centre of the DMs NPCs (throne-room maybe?) and start jumping up and down.

Then I'd ask him to be a little more serious in what he wants to do. Seriously, high level casters but no magic items?

Psyren
2011-08-10, 01:45 AM
For everyone calling Wolfwood a cleric - you do realize that the whole preacher thing was his cover story, right?

@OP: You're a full cleric, who cares if you can't buy items. Emblazon holy symbols on every item you own as Stix suggested (including a tattoo) and donate the rest to your church for some massive bonuses a la Complete Champion.

hobbitkniver
2011-08-10, 04:28 PM
For everyone calling Wolfwood a cleric - you do realize that the whole preacher thing was his cover story, right?

@OP: You're a full cleric, who cares if you can't buy items. Emblazon holy symbols on every item you own as Stix suggested (including a tattoo) and donate the rest to your church for some massive bonuses a la Complete Champion.

My character worships Kelemvor which isn't in Complete Champion, is there any equivalent for non-core gods?

Combat Reflexes
2011-08-10, 05:15 PM
You are a high-level priest with a lot of cash to spare. Time to found your own church! Very roleplay-ish and it provides you with a lot of fanatical minions followers :smalltongue:

Alternatively, visit the stock market. You're a cleric, use that Divination magic that you're so good at!

DeadManSleeping
2011-08-10, 05:21 PM
The wiki says that Kelemvor's clergy attend the last wishes of the dying, so I now know exactly what your cleric should do with a ton of money.

Start the "Make A Wish" Foundation.

Lord Bingo
2011-08-10, 05:39 PM
Buy materials and craft whatever you want. Then tell your DM to suck on that:smallbiggrin:

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-10, 05:53 PM
Buy materials and craft whatever you want. Then tell your DM to suck on that:smallbiggrin:

And/or convince someone in your party to play an Artificer. Heck, if everyone spends all of their free time crafting, you won't even have to worry about the minuscule level disparities that would pop up. Everyone in the party is a magic user, right?

Luckmann
2011-08-11, 01:55 AM
I don't need a thousand pictures of animes involving priests with modern guns. My character is going to have to wear full-plate anyways.

fgdsfg! Don't mix me up with... those people. :smallsigh: