PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Psion Gish?

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 09:22 PM
I'll keep it simple. I need an Abjurant Champion in Psionic form. Do any exist in ANY books? It has to be legit, no homebrew here. I just want full Manifester/Full BAB. Everything else, well, screw it. Haha.

So, yeah. Throw 'em at me, Giant.

Build is Raptoran Barbarian/Egoist.

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-09, 09:31 PM
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: you can try to shoehorn it into Illthyd Slayer or War Mind, but for the former, you will need to take track and cross class skills in dungeoneering (or gain it as a skill somehow, whatever) and the latter doesn't advance psion manifesting, it follows its own progression.

Also, slayer loses one ML, but it has full BAB and some cool abilities.

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 09:33 PM
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: you can try to shoehorn it into Illthyd Slayer or War Mind, but for the former, you will need to take track and cross class skills in dungeoneering (or gain it as a skill somehow, whatever) and the latter doesn't advance psion manifesting, it follows its own progression.

Also, slayer loses one ML, but it has full BAB and some cool abilities.

Nnnnnoooooooo. :[

Illithid Slayer may work, I'll see how that one works out. Which book? I can't remember.

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-09, 09:34 PM
It's in Complete Psionic. Also, linked here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm).

Also, just for my curiosity, why do you want to be a barbarian psion? You can't manifest while raging, and Psychic Warrior is a gish in a can all ready to go.

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 09:39 PM
Ahh, thanks.

Yeah, that could work. I also just found Sanctified Mind (Lords of Madness). That has BAB5 ML4.
So, by the end... ML 15 BAB 19. That'd be alright... But my psionics don't really... manifest until CL7, and we're at level 1 right now.
(Buh-dum Tsss)

But, alright. That's better than anything else I'd figured out. Not QUITE what I wanted, but close enough.

I don't want to play Psionic Warrior because their BAB doesn't end up being high enough, and their max power level is a little low.

EDIT: Because Psion didn't occur to me as a cool class until AFTER my first level of Barbarian, and we can't switch characters in this campaign.
Also, with Righteous Wrath or whatever it is, I retain all mental ability while raging(aka, manifesting).

Psyren
2011-08-09, 10:02 PM
Also, with Righteous Wrath or whatever it is, I retain all mental ability while raging(aka, manifesting).

I dunno which feat you're thinking of, but it's not Righteous Wrath. RW has specific benefits:

While raging, you maintain clarity of mind unusual among barbarians. You are perfectly able to deal nonlethal damage, stop your attacks to show mercy, and distinguish friend from foe even in the heat of your rage.

It doesn't say anything about letting you use abilities that require patience/concentration, which is what manifesting would require.

It's also an Exalted Feat, so you'd have to be a goody-goody.

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 10:12 PM
I dunno which feat you're thinking of, but it's not Righteous Wrath. RW has specific benefits:

It doesn't say anything about letting you use abilities that require patience/concentration, which is what manifesting would require.

It's also an Exalted Feat, so you'd have to be a goody-goody.

:[
It was righteous wrath I was thinking of. In the feat index it says something to the affect of "Maintain mental abilities while raging.", so we've always held it as such.

So, for the purposes of this thread, let's assume that Righteous Wrath allows me to Manifest while raging.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-09, 10:29 PM
There is a prg class, Cerebral rager or something along the lines of that, in Hyperconcious, which while being 3rd party was authored by Bruce R. Cordell which was the lead designer in the Expanded Psionic Handbook.

Also Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm)>Illithid Slayer (which incidentally is in the XPH not Complete Crud Psionics.

tyckspoon
2011-08-09, 10:31 PM

That is a fairly common house-rule so that Righteous Wrath actually *does* something, tho, because your standard Barbarian can already do all that stuff in a rage. You have to get into like Frenzied Berserker before you lose the ability to not kill something/will attack your erstwhile allies.

Psyren
2011-08-09, 10:35 PM
All it says in the sidebar is "Potential shaken effect against evil creatures" (the primary effect of the feat.) I'm not saying there isn't a feat out there that lets you do this, but it's not RW. In fact, even Champion of Gwynharwyf (which requires Righteous Wrath) needs another ability to specifically allow you to cast while raging - Furious Casting.

Anyhow, lets say your DM has the necessary houserule in place; your best bet for an Abjurant Champion style gish is either going to be Slayer or Sanctified Mind.

What are your stats?

EDIT: If Hyperconscious is allowed, bully - both Cerebral Rager and Ghostbreaker are phenomenal choices.

klemdakherzbag
2011-08-09, 10:48 PM
On a related note what would a homebrewed psionic-Abjurant Champion look like? What discipline would be most compatible (egoist maybe)...

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 11:01 PM
All it says in the sidebar is "Potential shaken effect against evil creatures" (the primary effect of the feat.) I'm not saying there isn't a feat out there that lets you do this, but it's not RW. In fact, even Champion of Gwynharwyf (which requires Righteous Wrath) needs another ability to specifically allow you to cast while raging - Furious Casting.

Anyhow, lets say your DM has the necessary houserule in place; your best bet for an Abjurant Champion style gish is either going to be Slayer or Sanctified Mind.

What are your stats?

EDIT: If Hyperconscious is allowed, bully - both Cerebral Rager and Ghostbreaker are phenomenal choices.

My stats are:
Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Yes, yes, I know, I could have set it up better, but at first I was really planning on going with straight Barbarian into Stormtalon with this guy. Then I remembered Psionics.

Cerebral Rager is definitely happening for four levels, then I'm switching to Illithid Slayer.
Though I just now realized that Ghostbreaker is amazing for what I need, Illithid Slayer gets class abilities I'll be able to make use of sooner. I'll take Ghostbreaker for levels 18-20.

Also, I know, I'll need to grab a headband of intelligence. It's an absolute must for this guy, as his Int is quite low. But, as long as I keep increasing intelligence, I'll be able to manifest all powers up until I start manifesting 6th level powers.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-09, 11:05 PM
As I said Slayer is better as it doesn't lock you into having favourite enemy Illithid and it is far easier to enter it (note it doesn't have the "Must have killed an Illithid" requirement"

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 11:06 PM
As I said Slayer is better as it doesn't lock you into having favourite enemy Illithid and it is far easier to enter it (note it doesn't have the "Must have killed an Illithid" requirement"

Er, yeah, taking Slayer. Much better. Not sure which enemy to take, though.

tyckspoon
2011-08-09, 11:11 PM
Er, yeah, taking Slayer. Much better. Not sure which enemy to take, though.

Doesn't matter very much, really. Psionic enemies are rare enough that it's unlikely to turn up.. I'd probably just take mind flayers as per the original class, because they're about the only psionic beings that are iconic and popular enough that you might actually deal with them more than once.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-09, 11:12 PM
Well unless your DM is running a psionic monster heavy game, the favoured enemy is not going to matter, the best features are the personal mindblank which doesn't interfere with buffs and the "no you can't scy me, no not even them" and the ability to lower SR and PR

Rossebay
2011-08-09, 11:37 PM
Doesn't matter very much, really. Psionic enemies are rare enough that it's unlikely to turn up.. I'd probably just take mind flayers as per the original class, because they're about the only psionic beings that are iconic and popular enough that you might actually deal with them more than once.

That's true. They're supposed to be scarier, so yeah. I think I will.

Psyren
2011-08-09, 11:45 PM
On a related note what would a homebrewed psionic-Abjurant Champion look like? What discipline would be most compatible (egoist maybe)...

Psychokinesis is closest to Abjuration, and honestly I always felt that Evocation should have been combined with Abjuration (or with Illusion) anyway.

Also, you actually don't need to homebrew (much.) Abjurant Champion has a psionic adaptation on pg. 52 of Complete Mage, so you can use that to convince your DM to stat something out.

Rossebay
2011-08-10, 12:21 PM
Psychokinesis is closest to Abjuration, and honestly I always felt that Evocation should have been combined with Abjuration (or with Illusion) anyway.

Also, you actually don't need to homebrew (much.) Abjurant Champion has a psionic adaptation on pg. 52 of Complete Mage, so you can use that to convince your DM to stat something out.

Oh, thanks!
This is something I'd definitely use in place of Slayer for a while.