PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed with Climate and Environment [REQUEST WITHDRAWN]

RufusCorvus
2011-08-10, 02:04 AM
I'm currently in the (long, laborious, arduous, painstaking) process of making my own setting. It's gone well so far: I've got a rough map (spoilered below), I've got some ideas for nations and cultures, and I've got a good grasp of the world's general history. I'm at the point where I need to figure out where I want to put everything, but to do that, I need to figure out what each region looks like. Basically, according to the map as is and factoring in the ocean currents and wind patterns (also spoilered), where are my deserts, my rainforests, my plains, et cetera.

I'm sure I could figure all this out eventually--it's been a few years since I took Geography 103, but I do still have my textbook. But, I figured that at least one person here on this forum should be able to help speed up the process. I'm not asking for detailed biome distributions or anything like that (appreciated though they will be), just generalized areas--to aid in that, and since no territories have been officially named, I've also spoilered a map with each region numbered. Hopefully it'll make sure we're all on the same page.

Judging on what I'm seeing (with help from the polyhedral globe I made out of a printout), the western landmass--the primary area of concern, I should stress--looks like it'll be very similar to South America while the Asiatic landmass taking up the southeast will be mostly tundra and desert, except in the east. Of course, I could be reading the data wrong.

I should mention that the tiny triangles (or, more likely, dots) are areas of volcanic activity. Dark brown: extinct volcano, tan/dark orange: dormant volcano, bright orange: active volcano, yellow: hot springs. The dark brown/dark orange distinction might be hard to make out.

I've placed mountains where the tectonic plates say they should go (and some where I think there should be some), but hydrology has never been my strong suit, so I'm hesitant to try and place rivers and lakes. I'm not exactly sure what the land relief is like, but if you have any suggestions on where to place rivers and lakes, feel free to assist.

The map's smaller than I'd like, but I think it'll do. If anyone has any problems, let me know and I'll see about posting a bigger one.

Thanks for any help. It'll be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Finished it myself.