PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Rogue / Chameleon Sniper help

knightMARE
2011-08-10, 10:21 AM
My next campaign is going to see me playing a Rogue / Chameleon (the 3.5 class), with sniping being her combat focus, and a crafting focus on the side.

What I'm looking for is feats/items/spells to wand etc. from Pathfinder that help with either sniping or crafting. There are a few 3.5 feats and spells that I know are quite helpful (Sniper Shot, Extraordinary Artisan), but I'm trying to take a bit more from Pathfinder to appease my DM

EDIT: Also, does the Vital Strike line apply to ranged attacks?

Yorrin
2011-08-10, 11:17 AM
I'm relatively new to PF, so I can't think of any PF exclusive feats that a huge boon offhand, but I can say that the Vital Strike line does indeed apply to ranged.

Shadowbane
2011-08-10, 11:21 AM
Vital Strike does apply to ranged attacks.

Xtomjames
2011-08-10, 12:39 PM
Be a Quickling (actual race: CR 3) if you can for this character (unless it's really low level). Vital strike will work for sniping but only within the sneak attack range as I recall. Multiclass gunslinger and rogue, substitute the gun for the crossbow and you'll have a brilliant sniper character.

Luckmann
2011-08-10, 03:00 PM
Sniper Goggles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-sniper-goggles).
The leather strap attached to these bulbous lenses allows their wearer to fit them to his head. The wearer of these goggles can make ranged sneak attacks from any distance instead of the normal 30 feet. When making ranged sneak attacks within 30 feet, the wearer gains a +2 circumstance bonus on each sneak attack damage die.Wonderous item, CL 5 - Price of 20,000gp; Craftable for 10,000gp.

They all but replaces the whole Rogue Sniper Archetype. Yes, it's stupid, but the item is there, so you might as well use it, instead of using the Sniper Archetype (which you can't combine with the Chameleon Archetype anyway - but I think you know that; just mentioning it so there's no confusion).

knightMARE
2011-08-10, 07:55 PM
Sniper Goggles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-sniper-goggles).Wonderous item, CL 5 - Price of 20,000gp; Craftable for 10,000gp.

They all but replaces the whole Rogue Sniper Archetype. Yes, it's stupid, but the item is there, so you might as well use it, instead of using the Sniper Archetype (which you can't combine with the Chameleon Archetype anyway - but I think you know that; just mentioning it so there's no confusion).

Chameleon is a 3.5 Prestige class. And those look great. With the 25% cost reduction for Extraordinary Artisan, I should be able to get those at a fairly low level

Luckmann
2011-08-11, 01:51 AM
Chameleon is a 3.5 Prestige class. And those look great. With the 25% cost reduction for Extraordinary Artisan, I should be able to get those at a fairly low level

Oh, I thought that since you tagged the thread PF, you meant the Rogue Chameleon Archetype. I probably should take more care when reading, since I now see that you do point it out in the first post. :smalltongue:

But the point still stands, regardless. :smallwink: Excellent item, to the point of breaking stuff.

knightMARE
2011-08-11, 07:51 PM
Oh, I thought that since you tagged the thread PF, you meant the Rogue Chameleon Archetype. I probably should take more care when reading, since I now see that you do point it out in the first post. :smalltongue:

But the point still stands, regardless. :smallwink: Excellent item, to the point of breaking stuff.

Aye, that it is. I'm not a big fan of most of the rogue archetypes, especially the ones that make you give up trapfinding, something that will get me shot

Luckmann
2011-08-11, 08:07 PM
Aye, that it is. I'm not a big fan of most of the rogue archetypes, especially the ones that make you give up trapfinding, something that will get me shot

Tying in with the idea of the Sniper, you might want to consider the Rogue Bandit archetype present in Ultimate Combat, if available.

Ambush replaces Uncanny Dodge - this allows you to take a Standard, Swift and Move action in the Surprise Round, not just a Standard or Move action.

Fearsome Strike replaces Improved Uncanny Dodge - A number of times equal to your charisma modifier, when you confirm a critical hit and deal sneak attack damage to an enemy, you can choose to make the opponent frightened a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

Again, with the sniper, getting into position and such, Roof Runner is obviously out, since it replaces Trapfinding - but there's the Wall Scramble Rogue Talent. Allows you to roll twice for Climb checks and take the better result. If you for some reason already are rolling twice for Climb checks, you gain +2 on both rolls instead. If you're under an effect that forces you to roll twice and take the worse result, you roll a regular 1d20.

Because getting up on those pesky roofs or treetops for a clean shot makes all the difference. :smallamused:

Person_Man
2011-08-11, 08:49 PM
The most important things to remember about the Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b):

1) They can cast spells from any list. ANY LIST. That includes the Paladin, Blackguard, Ranger, Assassin, Hexblade, Bard, and all prestige classes. Rangers in particular have a number of archery related spells, and many "half caster" spell lists and PrC have spells that are particularly potent for that ECL. Things like Holy Sword, Arrow Storm, Improvisation, Shock and Awe, Heroics, etc, and that's just out of the SRD and Spell Compendium.

2) The "floating" bonus feat is particularly potent if you're willing to start with an Incarnum or Tome of Battle based class (Totemist, Incarnate, Swordsage, Crusader, or Warblade), as it can be used to get access to a new (and fairly high level) soulmeld, chakra bind, maneuver, or stance which you can change every morning based on your current needs. Similarly, your ability to Turn/Rebuke undead is very useful for fueling Domain and Devotion feats, which you can rotate according to your needs. Travel Devotion, in particular, negates the need to take the Greater Manyshot feat chain.