PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] Making a Shadowbane Inquisitor

Shadowbane
2011-08-10, 10:38 AM
I'm allowed everything in the 3.5 Complete books, Pathfinder SRD (Thus including APG and UM), and just about everything from the 3.5 online SRD like Sneak-Attack Fighter and whatnot.

10th level, using pathfinder WBL and feat progression. Human race, stats 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13. The campaign will be going to 12th level, and I will not be falling so blackguard isn't an option.

I'd like some definite help with the build, but I'd like to keep it pretty simple. If there's a good way to do Paladin/Rogue/Shadowbane Inquisitor or Paladin/Fighter/Shadowbane Inquisitor then that'd be my first choice. Feats I definitely need some help on, and since I have 62,000 GP I need to figure out where to put it. The other parties members are a druid, a blade bound magus and an Inquisitor.

Essentially I'm trying to go for a Batman feel. I can have two flaws. The character will be wielding a bastard sword as a two-handed martial weapon; I know this isn't optimal but there is a story reason for it. Furthermore, I'd like to try to fit him into leather armor.

The challenge with this character is making it hard-hitting and strong enough to survive while being sneaky. I seriously need some input here because really, I'm lost.

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 12:10 PM
Hmm...do you have a problem with the idea of your character going evil partway through? Shadowbane Inquisitor is a great lead-in to Blackguard, and gets you a nice pile of sneak attack dice.

Yorrin
2011-08-10, 12:18 PM
The simplest entry is Rogue 4/(Cloistered) Cleric 1, if you're not worried about casting. Only loses 2 BAB and it has much better skills than a SA Fighter. I don't have the link handy, but there's an entire guide out there specifically on the subject of a one level dip in Cleric, and it's pretty well written.

Shadowbane
2011-08-10, 12:22 PM
Um...A bit. I really would prefer he doesn't go evil. It doesn't fit in with his story at all, because he's supposed to get his powers from a dead god who used his last breath to send his sword (thus the bastard sword) and the last remnants of his power to embody this particularly hardass paladin.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-10, 12:45 PM
I'm allowed everything in the 3.5 Complete books, Pathfinder SRD (Thus including APG and UM), and just about everything from the 3.5 online SRD like Sneak-Attack Fighter and whatnot.

10th level, using pathfinder WBL and feat progression. Human race, stats 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13. The campaign will be going to 12th level, and I will not be falling so blackguard isn't an option.

I'd like some definite help with the build, but I'd like to keep it pretty simple. If there's a good way to do Paladin/Rogue/Shadowbane Inquisitor or Paladin/Fighter/Shadowbane Inquisitor then that'd be my first choice. Feats I definitely need some help on, and since I have 62,000 GP I need to figure out where to put it. The other parties members are a druid, a blade bound magus and an Inquisitor.

Essentially I'm trying to go for a Batman feel. I can have two flaws. The character will be wielding a bastard sword as a two-handed martial weapon; I know this isn't optimal but there is a story reason for it. Furthermore, I'd like to try to fit him into leather armor.

The challenge with this character is making it hard-hitting and strong enough to survive while being sneaky. I seriously need some input here because really, I'm lost.

Actually that is much more optimal than spending a feat to wield it one handed :smalltongue:

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 12:55 PM
Well Paladins tend to be high Cha...given your Batman theme, a little Intimidate optimization might be nice. Unfortunately you won't get it as a class skill while you're Shadowbane, so you'll probably want Able Learner.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-10, 12:58 PM
Building upon what Urpriest said Imperious Command seems like a good option, and IMHO it feels really Batman-y so you might want to check it out, it is a feat in Drow of the Underdark BTW

Shadowbane
2011-08-10, 01:04 PM
How should I place my stats? I'm thinking

Str 18
Dex 17
Con 15
Int 13
Wis 14
Cha 16

And then use my two stat points to bring Cha up to 18, the last one at 12 for Dex to 18, my racial bonus on strength for 20. Then I figured pick up stat boosting items for the three stats (+2 each), a shadow enhancement for my studded leather armor, boots of striding and springing.

Feat wise, Imperious Command and other feats that might boost up intimidate. What do you guys think of the Thug Archetype for Rogue? If I grab Rogue 3 it's pretty useful, actually.

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 01:06 PM
I'd swap Int and Wis, since I don't think you're getting all that much from Wis besides will saves, and Int is good for getting the full complement of Batmanly skills. (Hmm...Batmanly, I like this word)

Shadowbane
2011-08-10, 01:54 PM
Done...any magic item recommendations outside of stat-boosting items?

Urpriest
2011-08-10, 01:57 PM
If you're going for the Intimidation route, Fearsome Armor (DotU IIRC) is quite nice. You'll probably want a weapon crystal or two to deal with undead and constructs (MiC, Truedeath and Demolition IIRC).

Cieyrin
2011-08-10, 02:30 PM
Um...A bit. I really would prefer he doesn't go evil. It doesn't fit in with his story at all, because he's supposed to get his powers from a dead god who used his last breath to send his sword (thus the bastard sword) and the last remnants of his power to embody this particularly hardass paladin.

Haven't read the Frank Miller Batman, huh? Ah well, I guess not everybody needs to be the Goddamn Batman.

Strength of Conviction from Exemplars of Evil actually works really well for SI, since it'll convert your Smite Evil into a Smite Corrupt basically. I would also suggest staying Rogue over Sneak Attack Fighter, as Batman isn't as cool if he doesn't have skills to match up with fighting prowess.

Speaking of skills, if you draw from Batman Begins, the Ninja alternate class for Rogue from Ultimate Combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/playtests/paizo---ultimate-combat/ninja) does a lot for working a more Batman feel into the SI. Also consider picking up a level of Grey Guard so you can get your powers back easier if you need to break a couple heads in a way your code would not like.

faceroll
2011-08-10, 03:33 PM
Done...any magic item recommendations outside of stat-boosting items?

Vest of Resistance, Cloak & Boots of Elvenkind.

Shadowbane
2011-08-10, 09:07 PM
It seems like since we're using PF I have no need of Able Learner; furthermore the DM has said that we get all the class skills of our first class at max ranks for each level. Then I get an extra skill for being human, and two more for my Intelligence modifier. It's his system, not mine. *shrug*

These are the feats I chose: Power Attack, Furious Focus, Improved Sunder, Cleave, Dazing Assault, Skill Focus (Intimidate), Intimidating Prowess, Antagonize, Imperious Command, Dreadful Carnage, Devoted Inquisitor

With the flaws: Solitary Paragon, Implacable

I also used the Oathbound Archetype for my Paladin, specifically The Oath of Vengeance. I used Sneak Attack Fighter. So the final build looks like this:

Paladin 4/Fighter 1/Shadowbane Inquisitor 7, with those feats. I have something like 34 in Intimidate and up to 34 in Stealth as well. Seem ok?