PDA

View Full Version : Best system for recreating Westeros

klemdakherzbag
2011-08-10, 03:47 PM
After reading and watching most of Game of Thrones, I was struck with gamebuilding inspiration, but left wondering what system would work best. 3.5/PF would likely be right out with its dependence on magic whereas most of the people of Westeros are not magic users. I truly don't know any others systems well enough to make an informed decision so I turn it to the playground: what system would you use or how would you make 3.5/PF work?

GreyMantle
2011-08-10, 03:56 PM
As far as I know, there have been two GoT RPGs published so far. The first was d20based, and the second wasn't.

I've honestly heard some kinda interesting things about the second one, but I have never played.

If I had time, I would probably try to hack something out with GURPS. But that would admittedly be a timeconsuming process.

Although, honestly, Burning Wheel could probably do Westeros fairly well. You'd probz need to add mechanics to account for family and stuff, but the basic feel is pretty accurate.

If forced to use a d20 derivative, I would do E6. But I would prefer not to.

klemdakherzbag
2011-08-10, 04:01 PM
What about Iron Kingdom (I think that's the one) I've seen that thrown around for low magic settings

Glimbur
2011-08-10, 04:57 PM
I'm not entirely familiar with A Game of Thrones, but it looks like a story where foibles are central. Rage and despair are principal elements. The duties of the nobility provide contrast to the freedom of an upper station. If that's the case, it would be possible to use the Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html) system. It is very rules light: characters have Rage, Despair, Oldness, and 2-5 problems. To do something that requires anger, roll under your Rage score. To keep your temper, roll over your Rage score. Despair is related to making important decisions (roll over) and sincerity (roll under). Oldness is related to being healthy (roll over) and being wise (roll under). Oldness is not always the same as age. Problems are randomly generated from a table, but the table is easily modified and problems could be chosen. There are rules for duels and murder. What more could you need? This would let the system get out of the way and only adjudicate important things instead of explicitly defining character abilities and competencies.

klemdakherzbag
2011-08-10, 07:09 PM
That is...an interesting system to say the least, but it is a nice rules-lite freeform guide

Magic Myrmidon
2011-08-10, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I've tried the Song of Ice and Fire RPG that just uses d6s. I think it's a pretty fun system. No classes, has written mechanics for houses, warfare, battle, and social encounters. Comes with most of the fluff, has plenty of options...

I mean, since it IS based around the books and TV series, it'd make sense that it'd work well.