PDA

View Full Version : Post-apocalyptic/Sci-Fi RPGs?

Bearpunch
2011-08-10, 04:24 PM
So, I'm new to the RPG scene, started with D&D 4e essentials because I heard the core was too daunting.

So, me and my group are getting into the groove of things with D&D, and I just want some suggestions on sci-fi or post-apocalypse RPGs out there.

Shadowrun, specifically. Recommended?

Morghen
2011-08-10, 04:47 PM
Shadowrun is the cat's meow, in my book. GREAT game. Slightly complicated system, but if you're just getting into RPGs you'll have an easier time than the rest of us who grew up rolling d20 all over the place.

Savage Worlds just about has the market cornered on post-apocalyptic/Sci-Fi settings. I've got a friend who is goofy for SW and he's told me about something like eight or 10 different settings.

Bearpunch
2011-08-10, 04:54 PM
The problem I keep hearing with Shadowrun is that some of the books are completely useless and some things are dauntingly complicated. Is it as hard as people are saying, or can I persevere?

Kaun
2011-08-10, 05:34 PM
The problem I keep hearing with Shadowrun is that some of the books are completely useless and some things are dauntingly complicated. Is it as hard as people are saying, or can I persevere?

Ehh if you found 4e core daunting then Shadowrun would be a nightmare (and i love the game.)

Savage words is fairly rules lite and stright forward - i all so think there are splat books out for Deadlands Hell on Earth which is a good Post Apoc setting.

When you say Sci-Fi tho what do you mean? Near future, far future, hi-tech or low? Serious, Grimdark, space opera?

Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader are good settings if your looking for grimdark far future or if you like the Warhammer 40k world.

Travler is a stable choice for high tech or space opera.

I was a big fan of 3x DragonStar setting stuff but it can be hard to find these days.

People seem to like the FireFly game but im yet to try it myself.

Bearpunch
2011-08-10, 05:41 PM
Ehh if you found 4e core daunting then Shadowrun would be a nightmare (and i love the game.)

Well, I don't know if it was daunting really, but I heard it was, and since I was a total noob, I went ahead and played the safe route.

People seem to like the FireFly game but im yet to try it myself.[/QUOTE]
When you say Sci-Fi tho what do you mean? Near future, far future, hi-tech or low? Serious, Grimdark, space opera?

I'm mostly thinking Cyberpunk, because there are apparently a lot of Cyberpunk RPGs out, but I don't know of any/what to try first.

Are there any good Steampunk RPGs? Like, the old computer game Arcanum, steampunk meets fantasy sort of thing.

Kaun
2011-08-10, 05:56 PM
Well, I don't know if it was daunting really, but I heard it was, and since I was a total noob, I went ahead and played the safe route.

Meh is still see essentials as errata for 4e, they are more or less the same game.

I'm mostly thinking Cyberpunk, because there are apparently a lot of Cyberpunk RPGs out, but I don't know of any/what to try first.

I love Shadowrun, good game and awesome setting but the rules can be a bit hard to get your head around at first. It does have some splatbooks that are less usefull then others but so do all big games.

Are there any good Steampunk RPGs? Like, the old computer game Arcanum, steampunk meets fantasy sort of thing.

Man i loved that game :smallbiggrin:

Look Gurps (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/) will do what ever you want but i know of more people talking about playing GURPS then actually playing it. As long as the system has been around and as successful as it has been i find a lot of people just arn't interested in playing games using the system.

As far as Steampunk games go im not really sure, Deadlands - Weird West (both the Classic Rules and the new Savage World Stuff) is fairly steampunkish only it is set in America during the Civil war rather then the sterotypical Steampunk style world.

LibraryOgre
2011-08-10, 05:57 PM
For simple, it's hard to beat the d6 system. Roll xd6+y, based on your individual skill, and total. If the total beats the DC, you succeed. It's out of print, but it's also available for free (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=468), and is basically the system that Star Wars ran off of for a decade.

Bearpunch
2011-08-10, 06:08 PM
I love Shadowrun, good game and awesome setting but the rules can be a bit hard to get your head around at first. It does have some splatbooks that are less usefull then others but so do all big games.

Man i loved that game :smallbiggrin:

I have heard of GURPS, and I want to try it... eventually. But I don't want to make a huge story investment to have my group crap out on me, so I'll wait until we are more regular. (yes, crap and regular. No, not intended.)

I think I could handle Shadowrun. What books should I invest in to start? As in, what do I need to play?

LibraryOgre
2011-08-10, 06:18 PM
I think I could handle Shadowrun. What books should I invest in to start? As in, what do I need to play?

To play, you need only one book... the 20th Anniversary core book. It covers most of the basics, and you can have a good campaign based just on that.

The basics of Shadowrun are pretty easy. Get a number of d6, usually equal to your stat + skill. If there's things that make the test hard, remove a few dice... if there's something that makes it easier, add a few dice. Roll them. Anything of a 5 or 6 is considered a "hit". In opposed tests, whoever has more hits wins.

Kaun
2011-08-10, 06:25 PM
Snip

Yeah what he said, i wouldnt bother picking up any extra books till you figure out what elements intrest you and your group the most.

All so just so there is no confusion the 20th Anniversary core book is 4e.

Bearpunch
2011-08-10, 06:36 PM
To play, you need only one book... the 20th Anniversary core book. It covers most of the basics, and you can have a good campaign based just on that.

The basics of Shadowrun are pretty easy. Get a number of d6, usually equal to your stat + skill. If there's things that make the test hard, remove a few dice... if there's something that makes it easier, add a few dice. Roll them. Anything of a 5 or 6 is considered a "hit". In opposed tests, whoever has more hits wins.

Doesn't sound all that hard, though I'll miss the d20...

All so just so there is no confusion the 20th Anniversary core book is 4e.

Good to know. Thanks guys, I'll be buying it from Amazon this week!

LibraryOgre
2011-08-10, 06:45 PM
Doesn't sound all that hard, though I'll miss the d20...

a) While the basics are super-easy, there's a lot to keep track of. It is probably one of the crunchiest systems I have ever encountered.

b) Less than you think. Besides, now they're valid projectiles at players. ;-)

As a suggestion, grab the quick start. Will find it and edit in a link.

Link (goes to a PDF) (http://www.shadowrun4.com/wp-content/uploads/Downloads/Shadowrun%20Quick-Start%20Rules.pdf)

Bearpunch
2011-08-10, 06:51 PM
a) While the basics are super-easy, there's a lot to keep track of. It is probably one of the crunchiest systems I have ever encountered.

b) Less than you think. Besides, now they're valid projectiles at players. ;-)

As a suggestion, grab the quick start. Will find it and edit in a link.

Link (goes to a PDF) (http://www.shadowrun4.com/wp-content/uploads/Downloads/Shadowrun%20Quick-Start%20Rules.pdf)

Thanks so much, this will be really helpful. I think my group will play it this saturday, even.

gkathellar
2011-08-10, 07:55 PM
Eclipse Phase fits exactly what you're looking for hands down, and is also incredible.

JediSoth
2011-08-10, 09:03 PM
Eclipse Phase fits exactly what you're looking for hands down, and is also incredible.

I'll second that, and it's also absolutely, 100% FREE in electronic form, so for no other reason, it's worth checking out for that. One of the designers/owners of Posthuman Studios even hosts the PDFs of all the books on his blog. You can find them here (http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/). Most of the complexity in Eclipse Phase is front-loaded into character generation; the system itself is pretty easy.

If you're looking for something more along the lines of Mad Max/Fallout post-apocalyptia, give Atomic Highway a look, as well.

some guy
2011-08-10, 09:08 PM
Gamma World is all sorts of post-apocalyptic crazy fun. The new edition uses a more simple version of d&d 4e, so you don't really have to learn any new rules with that.

beyond reality
2011-08-11, 12:38 AM
Savage Worlds is a good option as well, it's universal but it has a few steampunk settings, and a generic sci-fi sourcebook for playing in any futuristic or cyberpunk setting.

The test drive rules (essentially the core basics) are free online and it's a good way to tell if the system appeals to you:
http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

dsmiles
2011-08-11, 04:43 AM
If you enjoyed 4e, you should go for Gamma World. It can be as grimdark as you want it to be, or as lighhearted and zany-action oriented as you want it to be. It's entirely based on 4e mechanics, and has fast character creation.

I haven't played Shadowrun since it was a FASA product, so I'll be no help there.

Frosty
2011-08-11, 01:43 PM
Shadowrun character creation takes for EVER. But it still looks like a fun system.

For post-apocalyptic, one can't forget to mention the fan-made Fallout SPECIAL system: http://www.paforge.com/fallout.html

It recreates very faithfully the system used in the Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics computer games. Fairy simple. The setting is ultra-fun.

TheThan
2011-08-11, 02:37 PM
if you're still a fan of D20s, then there's D20 Modern- Apocalypse. which is exactly what your looking for. its based off of movies like the Mad Max franchise and other such post apocalypse media (movies, tv, books etc).

The D20 Modern system is actually a very good variant of the standard D20 system (read dnd 3.x starwars saga etc). Apocalypse is a supplemental book that well, gives you the tools to make it a post apocalypse game (obviously).

Now if you want a strong sci fi lean, then you can combine this with D20 modern-future. its the same deal as Apocalypse, only it takes it into the future. it's a bit more hard Sci Fi than space fantasy (think starwars). in fact, D20 apocalypse suggests you use the Future book along with it. Though that's mostly just for one mechanic.

I'm actually running a game of D20 modern- apocalypse right now, over in the play by post section.

Fhaolan
2011-08-11, 02:39 PM
I miss Car Wars.

Bearpunch
2011-08-11, 02:49 PM
if you're still a fan of D20s, then there's D20 Modern- Apocalypse. which is exactly what your looking for. its based off of movies like the Mad Max franchise and other such post apocalypse media (movies, tv, books etc).

The D20 Modern system is actually a very good variant of the standard D20 system (read dnd 3.x starwars saga etc). Apocalypse is a supplemental book that well, gives you the tools to make it a post apocalypse game (obviously).

Now if you want a strong sci fi lean, then you can combine this with D20 modern-future. its the same deal as Apocalypse, only it takes it into the future. it's a bit more hard Sci Fi than space fantasy (think starwars). in fact, D20 apocalypse suggests you use the Future book along with it. Though that's mostly just for one mechanic.

I'm actually running a game of D20 modern- apocalypse right now, over in the play by post section.

This sounds good, thanks, but my group wants to try Shadowrun first, so we are going to do that in the coming weeks, and then Savage Worlds.

Morghen
2011-08-11, 06:41 PM
The weirdest/coolest setting I've seen for Savage Worlds:

The Day After Ragnarok (http://www.flamesrising.com/day-after-ragnarok-review/) - Ragnarok hits during WW2.