PDA

View Full Version : Evil atonement?

MammonAzrael
2011-08-10, 05:56 PM
Is there an evil version of atonement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/atonement.htm) out there? You know, for evil paladins and clerics and such?

Jeraa
2011-08-10, 06:00 PM
The normal atonement spell would work just fine.

This spell removes the burden of evil acts or misdeeds from the subject.
That is just fluff. The actual mechanics of the spell doesn't differentiate between good and evil characters.

Drachasor
2011-08-10, 06:02 PM
In particular:

Though the spell description refers to evil acts, atonement can also be used on any creature that has performed acts against its alignment, whether those acts are evil, good, chaotic, or lawful.

MammonAzrael
2011-08-10, 06:05 PM
Well that should teach me to just glance over a spell, and not read the whole thing!

I won't though, I'm sure I'll do it again.

Thanks!

Arbane
2011-08-10, 08:09 PM
"Material Component: 1 kitten, to be eaten by the subject of the spell."

Callista
2011-08-10, 10:19 PM
Ah, but a puppy to kick can be substituted... :)

Come to think of it, though, maybe that's not too far from what it actually would be. The quest could be something like "Hunt down these heretics who annoy our deity; kill them and their children, and bring me back their heads." An evil deity looking to have you prove your devotion to him, or an evil cleric looking to make sure you're in line with the Evil ideology, might ask you to kill innocents, etc., to prove it.

hamishspence
2011-08-11, 02:52 AM
it might vary depending on what class it is, and what level the character is.

A paladin of slaughter who has to atone for doing an unambiguously altruistic deed, might get a different mission from a paladin of tyranny.

And some evil deities might care less about the victim, than the deed itself- so quest might be along the nature of "torture somebody- anybody" or "destroy one person's soul".

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-11, 09:10 AM
Or you could swing the other way and the victim would be the whole point.

- Put down that chaotic good upriseing and slaughter them and thier families, leave none alive.

- Kill that LG king and all of his bloodline. Throw the kingdom into civil war between corupt barons!

shadow_archmagi
2011-08-11, 09:15 AM
Ah, but a puppy to kick can be substituted... :)

As with most magic, all you really need is an egg. It has to be fresh, though.