PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Archer Paladin

LeshLush
2011-08-10, 07:36 PM
I just started kicking around an idea for using paladin as the base for a mounted archer build. My very initial thoughts were desert elf using the elf paladin substitution levels to allow smiting with a ranged weapon, and then Serenity and Zen Archery with a one level dip in Shiba Protector. This gives you wisdom to damage, two times wisdom to attack, and three times wisdom to attack on a smite. Possibly going Paladin of Freedom and dipping barbarian for whirling frenzy.

My questions are as follows: mounted archery is so feat intensive as it is, is burning two feats on stacking wisdom to attack too much, especially since none of the BAB is going to be converted into power attack damage? Also, what prestige classes are good for mounted archery?

deuxhero
2011-08-10, 11:54 PM
Unless your DM is letting you get the sub levels as human or strongheart halfling, yeah, not really worth it.

WinWin
2011-08-11, 01:22 AM
Wild Plains Outrider may work, though you will need to make your bow count as a melee weapon to make use of the move + full attack

It will also progress your mount, which may count for something.

Honestly though, a Half Elf may be decent racial choice providing the following alternate rules are available.

-free human heritage as outlined in cityscape.
-The feat able learner is taken at first level.
-flaws are available in order to meet prerequisites.
-a few levels in chameleon are taken
-a 2 level dip in Arcane Archer is taken to get the imbue arrow ability.

Keep in mind that this leaves very little room for Paladin levels, though they will be essential in order to qualify for AA.

Darrin
2011-08-11, 08:43 AM
My questions are as follows: mounted archery is so feat intensive as it is, is burning two feats on stacking wisdom to attack too much, especially since none of the BAB is going to be converted into power attack damage? Also, what prestige classes are good for mounted archery?

Well, Peerless Archer 3 (Silver Marches p. 115) kinda fixes the Power Attack problem, but the prereqs are completely whacked.

Hmmm. Let's see...

1) Cloistered Cleric 1. Feat: Zen Archery. Elf Domain (PB Shot), War Domain (WF: Longbow), Knowledge Devotion. Deity: Solonor Thelandira.
2) Barbarian 1. Whirling Frenzy.
3) Fighter 1. Feat: Mounted Combat. Bonus: Rapid Shot
4) Fighter 2. Bonus: Mounted Archery
5) Paladin of Freedom 1. Ranged Smite.
6) Ordained Champion 1. Feat: Serenity. Bonus Domain -> Feat: Combat Expertise
7) Ordained Champion 2. Convert TU -> Smite
8) Paladin of Freedom 2.
9) Paladin of Freedom 3. Feat: Alertness. Aura of Freedom.
10) Shiba Protector 1. No thought. (assuming Otyugh Hole for Iron Will)
11) Paladin of Freedom 4. More TU.
12) Paladin of Freedom 5. Feat: Improved Rapid Shot. Unicorn Special Mount.

Shiba Protector is difficult to fit in... it requires three craptastic feats, and is human-only. This doesn't mesh well with Elf Paladin. I'm not aware of anything in Cityscape that allows half-elves to have dual heritage, but there's a sidebar in Races of Destiny p. 150 that says you can treat half-elves as having the human and elf subtypes at the DM's discretion. Otherwise, the Human Heritage feat would let a half-elf qualify for Elf Paladin and Shiba Protector... good luck fitting that in.

As far as Prestige Classes... Windrider (Masters of the Wild) is probably worth a look, particularly for the Mount bonus feats. Prestige Ranger adds some interesting archery-related spells, but requires both Track and Endurance (double yuck) and some way to cast calm animals. There are hardly any decent archery PrCs. Peerless Archer requires too many feats. Cragtop Archer + flying mount is kinda nice for Strike From Above, but requires two crappy feats. Deepwood Sniper (Master of the Wild) is sometimes worth a dip for Keen arrows, but requires another feat (Farshot).

Person_Man
2011-08-11, 10:31 AM
My personal opinion is that there really aren't any great options for Tier 3 or lower archers in the game. You basically have to burn 3-5 feats just to be functional, and there aren't any PrC options that add anything interesting.

Anywho, you might want to consider the following:

Horizon Goggles: Grants Far Shot. Comp Mage.
Precise ranged weapon property: Grants Precise Shot. +1, Magic Item Comp.
Heroics spell: Any Fighter feat for a fairly long duration. Spell Compendium.
Charming the Arrow feat: An alternative to Serenity/Zen Archery. Online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a).
Ordained Champion PrC: As a Swift Action you can burn Turn Undead to gain a Smite attempt. Complete Champion pg 90.
Prestige Paladin or Triadic Knight PrC: Either basically gives you Paladin abilities, but with a Cleric base (missing a few levels of casting, depending which you go with). Unearthed Arcana or Champions of Valor.
Incarnate: The Sighting Gloves soulmeld adds a scaled bonus To-Hit with ranged weapons, and can add Precise Shot if you're willing to blow a chakra bind on it. Lawful Incarnates can also get a scaled bonus To-Hit. So you might want to mix in a few levels if you're multi-classing.

Ruinix
2011-08-11, 03:42 PM
Elf Paladin, Races of the Wild if i recall correctly. Trade Smite melee for Smite Ranged.