PDA

View Full Version : Best hardware for gaming PDFs

Arutema
2011-08-11, 02:24 AM
With Paizo putting out cheap and legal PDFs of Pathfinder material, and my gaming backpack too full to fit another hardcover book, I thought I'd ask the playground "what's your favorite hardware for gaming PDFs?"

Ideally I'd be looking for something smaller and lighter than a laptop. Non-PDF-related features are not really necessary.

Aerlock
2011-08-11, 06:51 AM
The barnes and noble nook color is pretty handy. You can easily hack it to run just about anything made for android, including some pretty handy pdf readers. If you don't want to hack the nook itself, you can even run the roms from a micro sd card and leave the nook un touched.

- Aerlock

Laura Eternata
2011-08-11, 12:50 PM
I'm a Kindle aficionado myself, but a Nook would probably work just as well.

Gnaeus
2011-08-11, 01:01 PM
I use my iphone

Trekkin
2011-08-11, 01:26 PM
I'd vote for the Nook/Kindle as well, but if that's too expensive almost any tablet PC or even one of the old pocket PCs ought to be able to read PDFs.

valadil
2011-08-11, 02:30 PM
I use my iphone

Me too. GoodReader is essential. It's too small for reading a whole book, but is perfectly serviceable for looking up rules.

VeliciaL
2011-08-11, 06:18 PM
A netbook could work too. They're smaller and lighter than a full-sized laptop, and are reasonably inexpensive. Might not be quite as convenient as a tablet, but I own an ASUS 1201n, and it's more than adequate for looking up stuff in PDFs.

I wish I had the budget to collect gadgets...

Tetsubo 57
2011-08-14, 02:13 AM
I'm considering a tablet for this very reason. I want a fairly large screen that will handle PDfs well. Plus giving me options well beyond an e-reader. I am currently interested in a ViewSonic gTablet with 10" Multi-Touch LCD Screen, running Android OS 2.2. They are priced at $260 on Amazon. Unless I stumble upon a better deal, I will probably go with this one once I have some cash.

Balain
2011-08-14, 02:18 AM
I have one friend that uses is iphone, one that uses an ipad and one that uses a netbook. All seem to do well, but my choice between those would be netbook.

I guess I'm old school I still like having an actual book made from paper myself though.

Kerrin
2011-08-14, 09:45 AM
For just reading PDFs I'd consider a low priced Kindle or other e-reader.

If I wanted to do a little more, I'd consider a tablet.

If I wanted to do a little more, I'd consider a netbook.

If I wanted to do a little more, I'd consider a full notebook.