PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Barbarian (3.5 Barbarian variant, PEACH)

Diovid
2011-08-11, 06:39 AM
Changes compared to a normal Barbarian:
No Handle animal and Ride, 2 skill points less per level, no shield proficiency.

Fast Movement is replaced by Blazing Berserker.
Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge is replaced by Heat Endurance/Improved Heat Endurance.
Trap Sense is replaced by Flaming Rage.
Damage Reduction is replaced by Fire Resistance.
Mighty Rage is replaced by Burning Rage.

Alignment: Any non-lawful

Hit Die: d12

Class Skills: The barbarian’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int Modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Blazing Berserker, Illiteracy, Rage 1/day|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Heat Endurance|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Flaming Rage (1d6)|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Rage 2/day|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improved Heat Endurance|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Flaming Rage (2d6)|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Fire Resistance 5|

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Rage 3/day|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Flaming Rage (3d6)|

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Fire Resistance 10|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Greater Rage|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Flaming Rage (4d6), Rage 4/day|

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Fire Resistance 15|

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Indomitable Will|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Flaming Rage (5d6)|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Fire Resistance 20, Rage 5/day|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Tireless Rage|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Flaming Rage (6d6)|

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Fire Resistance 25|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Burning Rage, Rage 6/day| [/table]

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the barbarian class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Barbarians are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light and medium armor. Barbarians are not proficient with shields.

Blazing Berserker
At 1st level you gain the Blazing Berserker feat (from Sandstorm). If you already have the Blazing Berserker feat you can pick one feat for which you meet the requirements from: Endurance, Diehard, Great Fortitude, Greater Resiliency, Improved Toughness, Steadfast Determination, Toughness or a feat which has Rage as a requirement.

Heat Endurance
At 2nd level you gain the Heat Endurance feat (from Sandstorm). If you already have the Heat Endurance feat you can pick one feat for which you meet the requirements from: Diehard, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Greater Resiliency, Improved Toughness, Steadfast Determination, Toughness or a feat which has Rage as a requirement.

Flaming Rage (Su)
Whenever you hit with a non-reach melee attack while raging you deal an extra 1d6 fire damage to your target. This increases by 1d6 every 3 levels after 3rd (6, 9 etc).

Improved Heat Endurance
At 6th level you gain the Improved Heat Endurance feat (from Sandstorm). If you already have the Improved Heat Endurance feat you can pick one feat for which you meet the requirements from: Endurance, Diehard, Great Fortitude, Greater Resiliency, Improved Toughness, Steadfast Determination, Toughness or a feat which has Rage as a requirement.

Fire Resistance
At 7th level you gain Fire Resitance 5. This stacks with Fire Resistance gained from other sources. This increases by 5 every 3 levels after 7th (10, 13 etc).

Burning Rage (Su)
At 20th level you gain the Burning Rage ability, this functions as Greater Rage except you are also under the effect of the warm shield version of Fire Shield (caster level = class level) while raging. This acts like the Fire Shield spell in every way except that it has no maximum damage.
I think it might be a bit strong compared to the normal Barbarian.

deuxhero
2011-08-11, 06:42 AM
Congrats! You stretched a feat (Blazing Berserker of It's Hot Outside IIRC) over 20 levels!

Diovid
2011-08-11, 08:08 AM
Congrats! You stretched a feat (Blazing Berserker of It's Hot Outside IIRC) over 20 levels!
Hmm, well I guess that's sort of true but that is the general idea of it anyway. What would you change then?

nxwtypx
2011-08-12, 02:39 AM
http://www.geeks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Borderlands_burning-psycho.jpg

BURN THE FLESH! SALT THE WOUNDS! Borderland's Burning Psycho comes to mind.

Diovid
2011-08-13, 10:26 AM
I fixed some minor things.

Since no one has anything useful to say, I assume it's balanced?

As an aside, I'm thinking about a prestige class for this Barbarian variant and the Sorcerer but I'm a bit stuck with how to built it. I know the Rage Mage sucks so that would be the wrong way to do it. Any help?

Amechra
2011-08-13, 12:12 PM
I suggest replacing normal Rage with the Whirling Frenzy variant from Unearthed Arcana.

Because I feel that an extra attack per round feels more fire-y than a Constitution boost.

I also suggest some ability that allows them to set people on FIRE! For cool points.

Also, that Fire Resistance should improve while they are raging; you get the freaking Fire subtype while raging!

Maybe replace Rage with this (This would get rid of Blazing Berserker, as well.):

Incandescent Wrath: The fire within your heart will not be appeased by shows of girly weakness! It desires and deserves greatness!

Whenever you rage, you gain a +4 bonus to Strength, the Fire subtype, an extra attack at your highest BAB (which does not stack with Haste or similar effects), and a +10 enhancement bonus to speed; however, you may not take any actions that would be prohibited in a normal rage. Your Incandescent Wrath lasts for a number of rounds equal to your 3+Constitution Modifier, after which you are fatigued for the duration of the encounter.

Greater Rage would enhance the Strength boost to +6, would increase your Fire Subtype's Immunity to fire into Fire Healing (PUNY HU-MAN, your PUNY HU-MAN flames do feel GOOD to me!), and lose the weakness to Cold damage (MY FLAMES BURN BRIGHT! MERE CHILLS CANNOT MAKE MY FIRE DIE!)

Diovid
2011-08-14, 06:04 AM
I suggest replacing normal Rage with the Whirling Frenzy variant from Unearthed Arcana.

Because I feel that an extra attack per round feels more fire-y than a Constitution boost.
That option is always available of course.

I also suggest some ability that allows them to set people on FIRE! For cool points.
Maybe...

Also, that Fire Resistance should improve while they are raging; you get the freaking Fire subtype while raging!
I'm not sure what you mean here. The Fire Resistance it gets improves whether you are raging or not, is that not enough?

Maybe replace Rage with this (This would get rid of Blazing Berserker, as well.):

Incandescent Wrath: The fire within your heart will not be appeased by shows of girly weakness! It desires and deserves greatness!

Whenever you rage, you gain a +4 bonus to Strength, the Fire subtype, an extra attack at your highest BAB (which does not stack with Haste or similar effects), and a +10 enhancement bonus to speed; however, you may not take any actions that would be prohibited in a normal rage. Your Incandescent Wrath lasts for a number of rounds equal to your 3+Constitution Modifier, after which you are fatigued for the duration of the encounter.

Greater Rage would enhance the Strength boost to +6, would increase your Fire Subtype's Immunity to fire into Fire Healing (PUNY HU-MAN, your PUNY HU-MAN flames do feel GOOD to me!), and lose the weakness to Cold damage (MY FLAMES BURN BRIGHT! MERE CHILLS CANNOT MAKE MY FIRE DIE!)
Sounds like fun, I'll think about it.

super dark33
2011-08-14, 06:21 AM
well, 6 flameing barbarien/10 frenzied berserker with pounce, power attack, leap attack and shock trooper for feats can be pretty powerfull.

Doorhandle
2011-08-14, 06:38 AM
Have them gains extra duration on their current rage when on fire. They have to test to not rage when not raging and on fire , however.