PDA

View Full Version : Vir? How (Night Angel Trilogy inspired)

ExemplarofAvg
2011-08-11, 09:23 AM
So if you know of the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, awesome all the better for comprehension. If not basically an entire nation chants a prayer twice a day while raising emotions that gives part fo their magical ability to the greater pool and this creates an almost limitless pool of magic for their spellcasters. Now how is it that I can find a way to represent the spell pool of Vir, in a werid way they are almost like the Red Mages of Thay except the spellpool can be generated by anyone, anywhere even nonmagical people such as warriors, peasants and what not.

Cog
2011-08-11, 09:29 AM
I suspect you'll have to depend on a little refluffing no matter what.

Things to look at, either for inspiration or adaptation, might be Mage of the Arcane Order (PrC; swap your spells on the fly for spells drawn from a pool), Incarnum (magic system drawn from ambient soul energy) and Binder (base class, makes pacts to access sets of magical abilities, many similar to spells).

Really, though, the idea is fluffy enough that you could even say that's what Wizards are doing already without needing to change the mechanics; what they've learned are the spells they've learned how to draw out of the spell pool.

Z3ro
2011-08-11, 10:38 AM
I do feel the need to point out that the Vir was insanely overpowered, even in the universe it was written for. In D&D, it would be an auto-win button (even more than spells already are).

That said, I'd probably go with psionics refluffed. Many of the Vir abilities are similar to psionic ones, and psionics already have a system of power points that are used then refilled. All you need to do is give them a large or never ending power point reserve, and there you go.

Devmaar
2011-08-11, 01:53 PM
The way Vir works is pretty similar to how Divine magic works by default, Gods (Khali) gain power from worshipers. Clerics (Meisters) draw power from their God through prayer and activate it via a holy symbol (vir).

With all that said the psionics is probably the best fit mechanically