PDA

View Full Version : Floating feats

Morph Bark
2011-08-11, 11:33 AM
The Chameleon gets at level 2 a bonus feat that he can change every day. Are there other ways to get such changeable feats? (Other than the Dark Chaos Shuffle of course.)

HappyBlanket
2011-08-11, 11:48 AM
Skin of the Construct, which lets you use the Full Round Action of Astral Construct to gain one of the aforementioned construct's Menu A special abilities. Among those abilities are Power Attack, Cleave, and Mobility. There's also 20ft (average) Flight speed.

I love it, but it's somewhat... Underwhelming. Especially compared to the Chameleon. First of all, your choices aren't fantastic; the ones I mentioned are some of the best you'll be able to get. Second, the duration of the feat is equal to your manifester level, and with it's casting time, you'll have some difficulty with the action economy. The only real redeeming quality it has is the easy change... But even that doesn't really contribute to your flexibility. After all, what good is having options if your options are Cleave and Mobility?

Yeah, unless you're a single-classed psionic melee type, this isn't the feat for you. It sounded more viable when I started.

Morph Bark
2011-08-12, 05:24 AM
Hm... that's problematic. I was hoping for non-item solutions, or rather least non-limited solutions.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-08-12, 05:30 AM
master of may forms at level 7 gets the human bonus feat when wildshaping into one due to gaining Ex abilities.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-12, 08:36 AM
Heroics from SpC. It grants a fighter bonus feat for 10 min/lvl. Incidentally, a Chameleon can cast this spell if he's using the Arcane Focus that day.

blackmage
2011-08-12, 11:56 AM
What is the Chameleon class from, may I ask? Sounds interesting.

Vladislav
2011-08-12, 12:00 PM
It's here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b

The Dark Fiddler
2011-08-12, 12:13 PM
Warblade's Weapon Aptitude lets him change the focus of his weapon feats that apply only to a single weapon... close enough?

Tyndmyr
2011-08-12, 12:19 PM
Heroics grants you a fighter bonus feat. It's a spell.

So, an x/day item of Heroics is an easy way to effectively run additional feats.

Greenish
2011-08-12, 12:28 PM
Revenant Blade gains 3 floating feats (+1 if you have a cheap magic item). The list is short, but you don't have to qualify to pick the feats. Notables include Spring Attack, Great Cleave and Imp. Critical (Valenar Double Scimitar).

You can't use the floating feats to qualify for anything.

Drglenn
2011-08-12, 12:42 PM
In Fiendish Codex 1 there's a pair of spells (Embrace the dark chaos and Shun the dark chaos, both are sorcerer/wizard 8 & Cleric 8) that do this. Embrace trades any feat for an abyssal heritor feat, Shun trades an abyssal heritor feat for any other feat.
The downside is they cost 250xp a pop though, the upside is that they can be cast on other willing people

Person_Man
2011-08-12, 12:43 PM
There are a bunch of soulmelds + chakra binds that offer feats. Since you can change them every morning, it essentially allows a Totemist, Incarnate, or Soulborn (or a fixed homebrew Soulborn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156441)) to change a variety of feats every morning.

Blood Talons: Die Hard. When bound to your Hands, it also grants Weapon Finesse with natural weapons.
Rage Claws: Die Hard which improves with essentia investment.
Wormtail Belt bound to Waist: Awesome Blow
Basalisk Mask bound to Brow: Blind Fight
Wind Cloak bound to Shoulders: Deflect Arrows - doesn't require that you have a free hand, and you can deflect 1 additional ranged attack for each point of essentia you invest. And it grants DR 2 + (2 * esssentia)/- vs ranged attacks, and Tiny or smaller creatures must make a Fort Save to enter your square. (Basically the best defense against ranged attacks in the game).
Claws of the Wyrm bound to Arms: Improved Critical on claws.
Mauling Gauntlets bound to Arms: Improved Critical for all weapons. When bound to Hands, you gain Improved Unarmed Strike plus bonus unarmed damage based on essentia investment.
Sighting Gloves bound to Hands: Precise Shot, plus a bonus to-hit with ranged weapons based on your essentia investment.
Totem Avatar bound to Arms: Improved Grapple.
Astral Vembraces bound to Arms: Any ability off the Psionic Construct Menu A, which includes Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural Attack, Mobility, Power Attack, and a wolf's Trip ability.
Dread Carapace bound to Arms: Improved Critical for all natural weapons.

Note that you can access most soulmelds and chakra binds via feats as well. Though doing so locks in your choice, it's a fairly strong option for many builds, since soulmelds also offer a very wide variety of useful powers.

You Binder can pull the same trick with vestiges, though I don't have a list handy.

HappyBlanket
2011-08-12, 01:22 PM
In Fiendish Codex 1 there's a pair of spells (Embrace the dark chaos and Shun the dark chaos, both are sorcerer/wizard 8 & Cleric 8) that do this. Embrace trades any feat for an abyssal heritor feat, Shun trades an abyssal heritor feat for any other feat.
The downside is they cost 250xp a pop though, the upside is that they can be cast on other willing people

That trick is called the Dark Chaos Shuffle :smalltongue:

Andorax
2011-08-12, 01:46 PM
The Heartfire Fanner (Dragon 314) is a bardic prestige class that allows the HF to "inspire" feats, figher bonus OR metamagic, in his allies.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-08-12, 02:00 PM
There is Mirror Move (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20000901a), it's a really decent spell but a lot of its potential is dependant on your DM and feat fluff.

deuxhero
2011-08-12, 07:02 PM
Remember for Heroics that Martial Study is [fighter].

Zaq
2011-08-12, 07:11 PM
If you can get easy access to Psychic Reformation, especially if you can obviate the XP cost somehow, that's almost as good, even if it's not quite the same.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-12, 07:20 PM
Remember for Heroics that Martial Study is [fighter].

This reason alone is why I tell my party members never to get that feat when I play a War Weaver. Heroics is just that good.