PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Spirit, an arcane Hierophant build

Soranar
2011-08-11, 12:04 PM
Race: Bamboo Spirit Folk (required for trackless step, otherwise you need to be an elf, take endurance and 1 level in wild plains runner to obtain it)
Alignment : Chaotic Evil
Deity: none (see fluff of the build at the end)

STATS (32 pts buy)

STR 8
DEX 14 (only access to light armor so this seems necessary)
CON - (irrelevant by level 3 as that's when he'd become a necropolitan)
INT 8 (took me a while to count but 8 INT is just enough to meet the skill requirements and keep a decent concentration skillrank, this is mostly due to arcane hierophant having most of the skills needed for sublime chord and x4 skillpoints per level)
WIS 16 (needs to be raised to 19)
CHA 18 (main stat after WIS is raised high enough)

Alternate class features/substitution levels

both are from unearthed arcana, most people are familiar with the first but I assume many ignore the second so I put the description

Savage bard from unearthed arcana
Nature bard gain animal companion, nature sense, resist nature's lure, and wild empathy as a druid. Lose bardic knowledge, inspire courage, inspire competence, inspire greatness, and inspire heroics.

Progression

1 Bard Iron Will,
2 Bard
3 Bard Spell focus: Evil
4 Bard
5 Bard
6 Ur-Priest Natural Bond
7 Ur-Priest
8 Arcane Hierophant
9 Arcane Hierophant Corpse Crafter
10 Arcane Hierophant
11 Sublime Chord
12 Arcane Hierophant Fell animate
13 Arcane Hierophant
14 Arcane Hierophant
15 Arcane Hierophant Energy substitution:cold
16 Arcane Hierophant
17 Arcane Hierophant
18 Arcane Hierophant Lord of the uttercold
19 Mystic Theurge
20 Mystic Theurge

Notes:

- Due to Arcane Hierophant your animal companion also becomes your familiar , this makes the handle animal skill pointless and it gives a significant boost to your animal companion. He's also likely to be the only reason you survive the lower levels.

-Since I'm stuck with 2 casting stats (and a low caster level but a high spell access) I figured I'd concentrate on necromancy (unlike summons caster levels don't mean much, you just need the right feats).

Any advice to make this better is welcome.

Fluff :

The build is basically about a spirit that went crazy (due to some pointless tragedy caused by urban races) and decided to use their powers against them (divine and arcane magic, necromancy). At first he just meant to protect his forest but, after he failed to do so, he decided to seek them out and destroy them.Obsessed with gaining enough power to reap his revenge he became everything he despised and corrupted all that he stood for (thus the necropolitan template and Ur-Priest levels).

Cog
2011-08-11, 12:14 PM
Strictly speaking, the build doesn't work. Heirophant's requirement is "Special: Trackless step class feature", while you have it as a racial trait instead.

Soranar
2011-08-11, 12:42 PM
Strictly speaking, the build doesn't work. Heirophant's requirement is "Special: Trackless step class feature", while you have it as a racial trait instead.

Right,guess I'm stuck playing an elf, losing a caster level and taking a flaw.

Vemynal
2011-08-12, 02:39 PM
ok, this looks like a lot of fun and an interesting concept.

for those of us who can convince the DM to let us take trackless step as a racial into arcane hierophant can you guys help this build out still?

one thing to note: Necropolitan only gives you d12 hit dice for the levels you already have when you cross over.

All other hit dice are whatever your classes give you

also; "x4 skillpoints per level". Isn't that only at 1st level? what do you mean?

ps377
2013-02-22, 04:03 AM
people found out that its not "trackless step" that the requirement should be, but "woodland stride", because arcane hierophant is a class for droods and rangers, and rangers dont get "trackless step" but "woodland stride".
They are saying they will fix this in the next errata for races of the wild.

Now, do your maths for your build again :p