PDA

View Full Version : Spell selection help needed

Optimator
2011-08-11, 12:17 PM
My current character is rapidly approaching level 20 (18 now) and I want to plan my final spell selection now. I just have a few more to pick and was wondering what people thought would be the most useful spells. I've narrowed down some choices but I'm looking for any suggestions.

I have access to pretty much the entire 3.5 library. If there is a Pathfinder spell that's particularly noteworthy, please let me know--I have access to one or two of the books but I'm not familiar with them. :smallsmile:

Character:
The character is a Sublime Chord Virtuoso (Bard 6 / Lyric Thurmaturge 3 / Virtuoso 1 / Sublime Chord 2 / Virtuoso 6+) but my spells known is roughly doubled--the houserule is to pay double the cost of a scroll and pay 100 times the spell level in XP to learn a new spell permanently, to a limit of twice the original number known. I have made judicious use of this rule and have stayed one level behind my comrades and rode the XP river to glory. Well, I'm 2 levels behind from Sublime Chord (in terms of what spells I can cast) and a level behind in XP, so it's not that glorious, but still, spells. :smallcool:

Current spells known list:
0th: 11 known
Prestidigitation
Summon Instrument
Read Magic
Detect Magic
Songbird
Mending
Summon Cocktail
Light
Lullaby

1st: 11 known
Improvisation
Nystul's Magic Aura
Grease
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Scholar's Touch -RoD 167
Immediate Assistance -CM 108
Comprehend Languages
Undetectable Alignment
Combined Talents -CM 100
Inspirational Boost
Stay the Hand -PHB2 126

2nd: 8 known
Silence
Jig of the Waves -SW 117
Harmonic Chorus
Sonorous Hum
Know Vulnerabilities
Tongues
Fly, Swift
----Open----

3rd: 8 known
Sirine's Call -SW 121
Sculpt Sound
Ray of Dizziness
Enduring Scrutiny CM 101
See Invisibility
Charm Monster
Allegro
Major Image

4th: 8 known
Fugue
Ruin Delver's Fortune
Freedom of Movement
Celerity -PHB2
Greater Mirror Image -PHB2
Ray Deflection
Dimensional Anchor
Spell Enhancer

5th: 8 known
Feeblemind
Teleport
Nightmare
Mislead
Greater Dispel Magic
Greater Blink
Mind Fog
Telekinesis

6th: 8 known
Empyreal Ecstasy -BoED 98
Hindsight
Probe Thoughts
Rapture of the Deep -SW 120
Otto's Irresistible Dance
Snowsong -FB 105
Nixie's Grace
Freezing Glance* -FB 95

7th: 8 known
Glass Strike
Limited Wish
Final Rebuke
Greater Teleport
Greater Arcane Sight
Arcane Spellsurge
Vision
-----Open-----

8th: 6 known
Chain Dispel -PHB2 105
Steal Life -BoVD 106
Maze
Greater Arcane Fusion -CM 96
-----Open-----
-----Open-----

9th: 4 known
Time Stop
Foresight
Programmed Amnesia
-----Open-----

Considerations:
**This is just stuff I've thought of that will influence (and has influenced) my spell selection. It's not super important so don't let it deter you from suggesting something; these aren't criteria.

Highly optimized, high-tier party, usually party with a Druid, an Erudite, a Wizard-heavy Gish, a Cleric-heavy Ruby Knight Vindicator, and a TWF Rogue/Swash/Swordsage. Spells that also appear on the Cleric or Druid list are less desirable. Wizard/Sorcerer- or Bard-only spells are more desirable, if only to be a little more unique.

The character focuses on Divination, Enchantment (only due to DC increases and availability/niche, the character himself doesn't consider it a preferred school, just something he's good at), cold and nautical spells(Stormwrack and Frostburn), dispelling, and time manipulation, so spells of that sort are thematically appropriate--especially time-related spells. The character really plays up the Math-Music-Magic aspect of his casting (via the default fluff of both Sublime Chord and Lyric Thurmaturge. I liked enough that I'm playing it straight).

Party buffing, self buffing and survival, and anti-caster casting is the usual MO.

Metamagic Song for "free" Quicken, Extend, and Chain spells. Also, Doomspeak.

I can boost Enchantment DCs by 4 (Veil of Allure and Captivating Melody).
Illusions at +2 DC

I can boost my caster level by 4 with Song of Arcane Power and take 10 on caster level checks with Arcane Mastery. I use this to bypass SR and auto-dispel most enemy casters and effects.

I have no compunctions against using Limited Wish constantly, to duplicate other spells in emergencies or when they'd be highly appropriate, including 6th level Bard spells (DM allowance, technically the spell only duplicates wizard spells up to 6th and others to 5th). 7th level slots are precious though.

I have Sonorous Hum running at most times, so concentration spells are slightly more useful.

Arcane Spellsurge and Greater Arcane Fusion. 1 Round casting time spells could be done with a standard. DM also has houseruled spontaneous casters using metamagic don't suffer increased casing times.
So with that out of the way, here are the spells I'm considering. Please let me know what you think. I'm looking for any advice so if you see a spell you think I should or should not have, let me know :smallbiggrin:

*An asterisk means I'm heavily considering it, for power or thematic reasons.
+A plus sign means it's probably a good Limited Wish candidate but also something I'd cast frequently or would just like to know.

2nd: One slot open
Alter Self
Battle Hymn
Glitterdust
Locate Object
Suggestion

5th: One slot open if I trade out Telekinesis
Bolts of Bedevilment -something to do each round, DC will be high, powerful debuff.
Greater Heroism* -Good for party buffer role, more useful for the temp HP and skill bonus than the attack and fear immunity. Tempting...
Telekinesis* -Concentration spell, so it's good for Sonorous Hum.

6th: [Edit] Spell chosen. Went with Freezing glance
Analyze Dweomer+ -flavorful, useful in a way the character would certainly appreciate, but may not come up often enough.
Heroes Feast -Spontaneous feast? The character would cast it daily, just so he wouldn't have to prepare food himself. Plus, it's a good buff spell regardless.
Freezing Glance* High DC but not mind-affecting. Powerful offensive addition.
Revenance*+ -High Optimization campaign, so we die with some frequency. Plus, I like the fact that it's a Bard spell.
Interplanar Telepathic Bond -Go teamwork!
Ruby Ray of Reversal -Handy for a spontaneous caster.
Contingency*+ -Obvious use and a tier-1 staple. Dispellable though, and I have a limited selection of spells to use in conjunction with it. Plenty of good ones though.

7th: One slot open, two if I trade out Final Rebuke.
Elemental Body -Very powerful self buff. Somewhat redundant due to gear, but not entirely.
Ironguard*-Very powerful self buff. I'm somewhat squishy if my defenses are actually breached. At least this could fully protect me from some threats. Plus the utility aspect too.
Stun Ray -Take (nearly) anything out of the fight at a safe distance.
Final Rebuke* -Save or die with a high DC, daze on successful save. Good for the guaranteed daze, plus it's 7th level and castable through Greater Arcane Fusion.

8th: Two slots open
Temporal Stasis* -Thematic and useful. Targets a save which not many of my other spells target. It's also generally the highest save and it's expensive to boot.
Wrathful Castigation* - Save or die, make that save and then save or lose. Superior but redundant with Final Rebuke, but both have their uses.
Moment of Prescience* -Thematic and powerful.

9th: One slot open
Effulgent Epuration* -Powerful protection. Near-invincibility, considering my other buffs and magic items.
Frostfell -WTF crazy-strong offense. Party druid uses this a lot. 1 round casting time (Arcase Spellsurge). One of my favorite spells.
Dominate Monster -The pinnacle of Enchantment magic. DC 36 (39 at level 20 and with a +5 book) or be my slave. Casting Rapture of the Deep, then casting Programmed Amnesia could potentially accomplish the same thing, though not as fast and at -3 to the DC. 1 round casting time (Arcase Spellsurge).

Optimator
2011-08-14, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I didn't expect many, if any, posts. Still though, writing it all out like this has helped with the decision process in itself. Bamp.

Optimator
2011-08-17, 06:50 PM
Made some final decisions, removed a few choices, added commentary as to my choices.

Keld Denar
2011-08-17, 07:13 PM
Stun Ray and Waves of Exhaustion are both very nice 7th level no-save just lose spells. Stun Ray always stuns for 1 round, and can stun up to 5. Thats...game over man.

For 8s, you really can't go wrong with Greater Planar Binding. Especially not with your Cha ability. Since its a Calling spell, you could technically bind a foe, then Dominate them when you get 9ths, thus rendering 0 need to pay them and extending the duration out indefinitely.

Polymorph Any Object is also a decent choice. Essentially a Save vs Death, without the [Death] descriptor, this is the only way to take out some high-op foes like Voidmind Wartrolls.

Also, Summon Elemental Monolith is a nice 9th level concentration spell. The air elemental has a DC42 Ref save vs screwed, which is higher than any DC you can come up with. The Earth Elemental is 1 Heroics spell short of Shocktrooper ubercharging with a MUCH higher BAB than a fighter his level would have, which is both amusing and potent.

Optimator
2011-08-17, 11:33 PM
Also, Summon Elemental Monolith is a nice 9th level concentration spell. The air elemental has a DC42 Ref save vs screwed, which is higher than any DC you can come up with. The Earth Elemental is 1 Heroics spell short of Shocktrooper ubercharging with a MUCH higher BAB than a fighter his level would have, which is both amusing and potent.

:smalleek: Nice! Great advice. I can't cast Heroics (well, limited wish) but the party Wizard could.

Actually, now that I think about it, Greater Planar Binding would probably be best as a scroll.

Zonugal
2011-08-18, 12:00 AM
:smalleek: Nice! Great advice.

Actually, now that I think about it, Greater Planar Binding would probably be best as a scroll.

Or Runestaff... Runestaffs work great for pulling together thematically-connected spells that you'll want to have but won't be casting every day.

Optimator
2011-08-18, 02:47 AM
I can't believe I forgot about Runestaves! Thanks for reminding me.

Also, I just found out I can take nondraconic-themed Sorcerer-only spells. That means Greater Arcane Fusion (CM 96). I think I'll take both it and Arcane Spellsurge (DM 64). I could probably pull off some sick combos with this, as well as free up my standard action for Doomspeak and my Bard/Virtuoso songs. I can't believe I didn't realize this earlier.

So far the only spells I have that are 1 round casting times, to take extra advantage of Arcase Spellsurge, are Empyreal Ecstasy, Songbird, and Summon Instrument. Frostfell, Summon Elemental Monolith, and Dominate Monster are spells I'm considering and also have 1 round casting times.

Optimator
2011-08-26, 07:59 PM
Finalized a bit more--down to the very last few choices. Also removed some spells that didn't make the cut.

faceroll
2011-08-27, 06:17 AM
Other than swift flying, I don't see any ways for you to fly. Have you considered picking up a polymorph effect, overland flight, etc., to let you fly? I would suggest Alter Self as your second level slot. Depending on your Type, that can at least get you a fly, climb and swim speed, and potentially burrow as well.

Forcecage costs 1500gp to cast, and at your level, doesn't affect as many monsters as you would like. Most monsters are too big to fit. Those that do can typically cast a spell or use an item to escape. I would recommend against it unless you can circumvent the material component cost.

Optimator
2011-08-27, 09:25 PM
The character now has a Phoenix Cloak but Alter Self is a good suggestion. Good point about the Forcecage.