PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape Ranger questions (and Warshaper, too)

Cogidubnus
2011-08-11, 02:09 PM
If using a Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger), when do you gain the class features. When you would have got them as a Barbarian/Druid? When you would have got your Combat Style?

Also, what happens if you multiclass into Druid? Do your Ranger and Druid levels stack to determine the level you can Wildshape at?

As for the Warshaper prestige class (Complete Warrior p89), does it count towards your class level for number of hours you can Wildshape for/the number of HD the form can have?

Yorrin
2011-08-11, 02:13 PM
You gain them "as a Barbarian/Druid," so you'd get them at the levels those classes did. And no, Warshaper doesn't progress Wildshape.

For the multiclassing... ask your DM. I'd rule they stacked, but I can see why they wouldn't.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-08-11, 02:41 PM
If you take levels in both Druid and Wildshape Ranger, then as long as you have at least five levels in each class, they would stack for Wild Shape. You would use your total class levels in both to determine duration and HD limit. You would add each class' individual daily uses (so for example Druid 5/ WSRanger 6 would get 3/day total). You would get access to whatever size of forms each individual class made available (so a Druid 5/ WSRanger 15 would only get small and medium animals, you would need Druid 8+ to get large forms).

Warshaper does not grant any improvement to wild shape or other ability to change form, but it does grant additional class features while in a form other than your own.

Another prestige class to consider is Master of Many Forms from Complete Adventurer. You add your class level to your number of daily uses, and the errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a) makes it so it also stacks for determining HD. They neglected to specify that it also stacks for purposes of wild shape duration, but you should have sufficient uses to be in a different form all day.

Nature's Warrior can be a decent choice, particularly for a single level dip to get Nature's Weapons if you would otherwise be unable to overcome DR/Magic.

Helpful link! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206599#9)

Cog
2011-08-11, 02:53 PM
If you take levels in both Druid and Wildshape Ranger, then as long as you have at least five levels in each class, they would stack for Wild Shape. You would use your total class levels in both to determine duration and HD limit.
Do you have a citation for this?

Yorrin
2011-08-11, 02:58 PM
Do you have a citation for this?

There's no official ruling, but there's precedent for it. I can't think of where off-hand, but when two classes (or PrCs) grants a feature like Wildshape then they stack after you've gotten to the point in both classes that you gain that feature.

Cog
2011-08-11, 03:14 PM
There's no official ruling, but there's precedent for it. I can't think of where off-hand, but when two classes (or PrCs) grants a feature like Wildshape then they stack after you've gotten to the point in both classes that you gain that feature.
Some do, some don't. There's enough variability that you just have to go by what's presented in each class, unless there's a general ruling somewhere like Rules Compendium.

Hm. I did find this:

Identical class features should stack if gained from multiple versions of the same class...
That comes pretty close in this particular case, but Druid and Ranger are not the same class.

Yorrin
2011-08-11, 03:17 PM
Some do, some don't. There's enough variability that you just have to go by what's presented in each class, unless there's a general ruling somewhere like Rules Compendium.

Shrug. I'm not particularly committed on the ruling. It was Biff who was saying it like it was a given ruling.

That comes pretty close in this particular case, but Druid and Ranger are not the same class.
Interestingly, since the WSRanger gets WS "as a Druid" it could be ruled that for the purpose of that single class feature they were treated as the same class. But whatever. I don't play Druids, nor do any of my players :smallwink: