PDA

View Full Version : Ranking and Describing AC

Jastermereel
2011-08-11, 04:41 PM
While it doesn't have any concrete impact on gameplay, I'm curious if people have ever worked out in what order things contribute to AC.

That is if the hobgoblin swings and axe and their To-Hit total is insufficient to beat the adventurous rogue's AC then they miss, but do they miss because the rogue is too dexterous, because they have armor on, or because of something else?

I got to thinking about this when writing up the game journal for the group I DM for. I tend to over-write it a bit, drawing out some fight sequences a little long, but there are only so many times I can type out that someone simply missed. If I had a simple way to figure out just how they missed it might actually be useful (to know better what they're up against) and fun (to describe how they missed).

So far, I haven't seen anyone lay this out (likely because there isn't a reason why it would matter) so here's my best guess.

The following ignores extra factors (like prone, cowering, pinned and the like) and primarily focuses on the additive factors of the basic equation:
AC = 10 + Size Modifier + Dex Modifier + Armor Bonus + Shield Bonus + Deflection Bonus + Insight Bonus + Natural Armor Bonus + Dodge Bonuses (+ Other Modifiers)

Thinking of each of the 8 (excluding Other Modifiers) as another layer to bypass, the reflex-types would come first while the physical barriers would come last. Put another way, if you nimbly duck away from my blade, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a shift or mountain plate, but if my roll would have been good enough for a touch attack, then your armor becomes relevant. On the other hand, if I strike true, I would first have to overcome the intrinsic difficulty in hitting you before worrying if I pierce your skin.

My best guess is Insight/Size, Dodge/Dexterity, Deflection, Shield, Armor, Natural Armor.

Insight and Size (assuming a modifier beneficial to AC) precede Dodge and Dexterity as the latter pair can be lost if the target is flatfooted (and thus are functional even before the attack can be made). Deflection seems appropriate between the movement types and the barrier types as it operates at the moment of impact itself. After that, Shield, Armor and Natural Armor seem naturally ordered.

Negative factors might not even enter into this as, if they contributed then the swing hit and one would use a wholly different vocabulary of smashing, crunching, and otherwise painful words to describe the result.

Again, I realize it has little impact on the rules, but it seems like a good way to make descriptions livelier while staying accurate. And isn't it more fun to know that while your ranger didn't mortally wound the frost giant, at least your rapier pierced his chain shirt and was only stopped by his thick calloused skin?

Quietus
2011-08-11, 04:50 PM
Why worry about doing the extra math? Just go with whatever feels dramatically appropriate.

Godskook
2011-08-11, 04:53 PM
I'd emphasize really bad attack rolls as being insight/dex based, more accurate ones being shield/deflection and 'barely missing' shots to be armor(natural or regular). And the modifiers provide you with all you need to determine which is which. Take this character (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=152247), for instance.

His AC modifiers are(total 26):
Armor +6
Dex +4
Natural +3
Defelction +4

Thus, if the attacker gets a roll of 9-12, I'd say the PC dodged the attack completely. On a roll of 13-16, it was magically diverted. For 17-22, it bounced off the shield, and when he gets 23-25, it found a fault in the armor but didn't have enough 'push' remaining to harm anyone.

'Course, with that setup, you're unlikely to get any dex/deflection saves, so I'd instead set up a second table, listing all the interesting results you'd like to right about, and roll on that table each time you want to describe the action the roll determines.

Malimar
2011-08-11, 04:54 PM
Why yes, I have thought about this very question (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/08/you-didnt-miss-but-you-didnt-hit-him.html).

Jastermereel
2011-08-11, 04:57 PM
Why worry about doing the extra math? Just go with whatever feels dramatically appropriate.

A fair point, but for the math-crazy folks (I can't be the only one) why not? My players may miss big plot hints, but they'll have a target's AC narrowed down within a few good swings. If I have their attention then, I may as well give them something good to listen for.

Edit: Wow. You guys are fast. I knew I wasn't the only crazy one. I might be the only one thinking about using this to make bar-graphs on the side of my initiative cards, but...at least I'm in good company otherwise.

CTrees
2011-08-11, 05:02 PM
Why yes, I have thought about this very question (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/08/you-didnt-miss-but-you-didnt-hit-him.html).

That's actually exactly how I always rationalized it, in that order. I generally (at least mentally) stuck Insight/Luck right with Dodge, Size before anything else, and the more unusual ones like Profane right before armor/natural armor.

Eldariel
2011-08-11, 05:18 PM
Yeah, obvious order:
- First you Dodge (Dodge, Dexterity, Insight, Competence, etc.). After all, the whole purpose of Dodging is to not be hit, right?
- Then are your magical deflections; obviously they are layered over your physical body.
- Next is your shield; attack you can't avoid and that isn't blocked magically, you block with your shield.
- Then is your armor. An attack you failed to avoid in any way can still be deflected by your body armor.
- Finally your natural armor. If they find a weak chink in your armor and land a blow, it's still possible for your thick hide to block the blow.

In other words, depending on by how much they miss you hit (top = miss by lowest amount; bot = miss by largest amount):
- Natural Armor
- Armor
- Shield
- Deflection [This is their Touch AC; if they miss Touch AC by more than Deflection, it's a Dodge, if they miss it by only Deflection it's a magically deflected attack]
- Insight/Dodge/Dexterity/Competence/etc.

If you roll under 5 (equivalent to attacking an inanimate object) it's a plain miss no thanks to your target; just your own bumbling incompetence. Note, it's 5 not 10. 10 means an average Dexterity human with nothing on dodged it. You still would hit a tree with that roll. 5 means you missed 'cause you suck.

So as an example, Human Warrior with Fullplate, Heavy Steel Shield, 12 Dex, Dodge-feat with the opponent as his Dodge-target, Amulet of Natural Armor +1 and Ring of Protection +1 would have:

Total AC of 10 + 1 Dex + 8 Armor + 2 Shield + 1 Natural Armor + 1 Deflection + 1 Dodge = 24

So misses would be blocked by X on the roll of Y:
Natural Armor Block = 23 - "His thickened skin somehow blocks the blow" [Obviously players are aware this is magical at this point]
Armor Block = 15-22 - "You land a blow but it's deflected by his armor"
Shield Block = 13-14 - "He parries your blow with his shield"
Magical Block = 12 - "An invisible forcefield blocks your blade"
Dodge = 5-11 - "He nimbly dodges your attack"
You Suck = 4 or less - "You hit the ground in frustration"