PDA

View Full Version : Cool frame for quests

larnman2
2011-08-11, 08:17 PM
The games I've been playing with friends has always shied away from continuity, so I came up with a frame that facilitates that and allows the GM to change the scenario to literally anything he wants.

Your party works as agents for a corporation that hunts down and sells magical items. They also employ sorcerers and wizards to make a magical farm that feeds into a powerful mage, who channels that into underlings. The characters essentially operate as clerics, but instead of a God, it's a regional manager who allocates you a stipend of magic for each of your journeys. This allows the characters to move up and down levels dynamically, and change the suite of spells you use entirely, depending on the type of mission, or if your party did well, poorly, or any type of circumstance. It also allows you to provide players with equipment custom to the mission.

This works great for taking a group into literally anything at anytime.

Kuma Kode
2011-08-14, 07:45 PM
I prefer a mercenary company. You can play completely different characters and mix and match them in groups depending on how you're all feeling that day and what the adventure entails.

beyond reality
2011-08-15, 01:33 AM
With my group I find the best method is for a prophet to show up. He'll appear mysteriously, never provide his name and offer advice on things that the players must or must not do, lest they face horrible doom from the powers of fate. Although the prophet can never provide exact reasons for the danger that the players will face his advice will always be definite. The players must go here or they must not continue any further along their current path. Mysterious and powerful forces at the command of the prophet shows that he is more than merely the crazed man he appears and when he provides his sage wisdom he vanishes as mysteriously as he appears.

Without fail my players will insult the prophet, attempt to kidnap or harm him, and once he disappears will make sure to do the exact opposite of whatever the prophet demands of them. I just need to make sure the prophet is telling them not to get involved with the adventure I have planned.

endoperez
2011-08-15, 04:54 AM
With my group I find the best method is for a prophet to show up. He'll appear mysteriously, never provide his name and offer advice on things that the players must or must not do, lest they face horrible doom from the powers of fate. Although the prophet can never provide exact reasons for the danger that the players will face his advice will always be definite. The players must go here or they must not continue any further along their current path. Mysterious and powerful forces at the command of the prophet shows that he is more than merely the crazed man he appears and when he provides his sage wisdom he vanishes as mysteriously as he appears.

Without fail my players will insult the prophet, attempt to kidnap or harm him, and once he disappears will make sure to do the exact opposite of whatever the prophet demands of them. I just need to make sure the prophet is telling them not to get involved with the adventure I have planned.

Haha, superb! At the first I was thinking "isn't this just really blatant railroading with a DM PC", but the end turned it all upside down. Good job!