PDA

View Full Version : Void Disciple Build

Kefkafreak
2011-08-12, 01:21 AM
I've been searching for an example of a Void Disciple build but all I'm finding is "it's a trap, don't do it"

It's for an upcoming NPC in my campaign which may be an enemy depending on the players.

It would really help me if I had an example build, so if you've ever used one, could you share it with me? I don't care how optimized/cheesy it is. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks

Edit: I just noticed it's a tier+2 PrC, so I don't really get why it's a trap :smallconfused:

0nimaru
2011-08-12, 01:48 AM
Overall, the class cuts 5 caster levels out of your build while giving you less than amazing abilities in return. The ability to scout with your mind is cool, and could definitely give an NPC an excuse to always know what was coming next. Everything else seems to mainly swap around a couple of stats, with the most interesting ability being the Void Suppression, which you'll get at level 19 and requires you to be in melee with whatever baddy you're affecting.

Also.. melee enervation once per day as a level 20 ability?

Zaq
2011-08-12, 02:06 AM
Void Disciple is an odd duck, that's for sure. Losing 5 caster levels means that you're definitely not going to be optimized in the raw spellcasting department . . . but its class features are weird and vaguely written enough that it's powerful (some would say broken) in other ways. Sense Void is a doozy . . . first, it's not a capital-D Divination effect by RAW, which means it's damn near impossible to block or stop. Second, the Spellcraft check is trivial to get if you know what you're doing . . . and now you can see ANYTHING. The king's long-hidden brother who doesn't officially exist? Bam. Your foe's hideout? Right here. The One Ring? Got it! You can perceive "whatever area, person, or thing" you want, and there's pretty much no limitations on it, as long as you're on the right plane.

As for the other abilities . . . Moment of Clarity doesn't say that you have to qualify for the feat you learn, so there's some shenanigans to be had there. (Even if you do have to qualify, "SUDDENLY, FEATS" is a pretty good trick.) Altering the Course is only 1/day, but it's very cute, and you'll definitely notice it when you use it. Void Release is cool, and I'm sure that it can be abused, though offhand I can't think of anything specific. Void Suppression is much the same way. Void Strike is crap, though.

Basically, the lost caster levels hurt, but Sense Void is overpowered, Moment of Clarity is totally overpowered if you play it by RAW, and the other abilities are interesting, if not game-breaking. Less powerful than a straight caster in a lot of ways, but it still has the potential to wreak some havoc.

Kefkafreak
2011-08-12, 04:43 AM
I would really appreciate it if someone posted the standard build :smallredface: