PDA

View Full Version : Weaknesses

hiryuu
2011-08-12, 01:24 AM
I need ways to be weak against fire. What are the ways I can accomplish that, short of homebrew flaws?

For the curious, it is for a warforged with an electricity based variant of Desert Wind, because wacky fantasy Frankenstein's monster needs to be able to punch things in the mouth. With electric fists.

King Atticus
2011-08-12, 01:48 AM
I know it doesn't really fit your fluff but the first thing that popped into my head was giving it the cold subtype.

Cold Subtype

A creature with the cold subtype has immunity to cold. It has vulnerability to fire, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Zaq
2011-08-12, 02:16 AM
Yup, cold subtype will do it. Ask your GM if you can use the Frostburn version of the spell Mantle of the Icy Soul (which gives you the cold subtype as an instantaneous effect, and isn't THAT expensive as a hired casting) instead of the SpC version. RAW, the SpC version replaced the Frostburn version, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why they nerfed it like they did (especially since they left the counterpart spell, Mantle of the Fiery Spirit, untouched).

If you'd rather slap on a few LA, the Woodling template (MM3, +3 LA) gives you a whole lotta traits, one of which is vulnerability to fire. Unfortunately, you'll have to do some type-tweaking (Incarnate Construct, maybe?) to pull it off on a warforged, since construct isn't on the list of approved types.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-12, 11:43 AM
There is a feat in eberon for lightning punches for warforged. Sacrafice HP for electrical damage.

Also you could take toughness and trollblooded. It would grant you regeneration and weakness to fire and acid.

Necroticplague
2011-08-12, 12:15 PM
Also you could take toughness and trollblooded. It would grant you regeneration and weakness to fire and acid.

Troll blooded is a racial feat, for humans only, a warforged cant select it.

King Atticus
2011-08-12, 12:25 PM

Plus as cool as it is to not die from normal damage, you end up sitting out a lot of encounters being passed out from really high subdual damage. I have some friends playing with this right now...it would bore me to tears.

Greenish
2011-08-12, 12:30 PM
Plus as cool as it is to not die from normal damage, you end up sitting out a lot of encounters being passed out from really high subdual damage.Well, without the feat, they'd be rolling new characters. :smallamused:

King Atticus
2011-08-12, 12:42 PM
Well, without the feat, they'd be rolling new characters. :smallamused:

That's true enough. But what's worse rolling up new characters or not getting to play the one you have? :smallwink:

With my (lack of) attention span I would be forced to jump into a furnace and end it all after the 2nd straight encounter that I passed out half way through and just had to sit there for a half hour while the encounter wrapped up.

dextercorvia
2011-08-12, 12:50 PM

It is a regional feat, but does it actually specify human only?

Ernir
2011-08-12, 12:53 PM
I need ways to be weak against fire. What are the ways I can accomplish that, short of homebrew flaws?

You don't need a homebrew flaw. The Cold-Blooded flaw in Dragon Magazine 324 is precisely what you're looking for.

hiryuu
2011-08-12, 01:34 PM
You don't need a homebrew flaw. The Cold-Blooded flaw in Dragon Magazine 324 is precisely what you're looking for.

Ah, found it, that's perfect, thanks!

Necroticplague
2011-08-12, 07:09 PM
It is a regional feat, but does it actually specify human only?

Interestingly enough, no, it doesn't. However, you need toughness to take it, and it can only be taken at first level. So its pretty much limited to human-only, unless you count flaws.

Greenish
2011-08-12, 07:10 PM
Interestingly enough, no, it doesn't. However, you need toughness to take it, and it can only be taken at first level. So its pretty much limited to human-only, unless you count flaws.Solution: start as a human, become warforged later.

Necroticplague
2011-08-12, 07:24 PM
Solution: start as a human, become warforged later.

But then when you become a warforged (assuming that's even possible), you lose the benefits of your previous race, thus you lose the bonus feat.

Greenish
2011-08-12, 07:32 PM
But then when you become a warforged (assuming that's even possible), you lose the benefits of your previous race, thus you lose the bonus feat.Even if that was true (it isn't*), you could lose Toughness and keep Troll-Blooded, then pick Toughness as a normal feat to reactivate Troll-Blooded.

*MoE 81-82.

Necroticplague
2011-08-12, 07:46 PM
Even if that was true (it isn't*), you could lose Toughness and keep Troll-Blooded, then pick Toughness as a normal feat to reactivate Troll-Blooded.

*MoE 81-82.

Sorry, my bad, I thought you were talking using polymorph any object twice. I was aware of the renegade mastermaker before, but i thought it only gave you living construct subtype, didn't know you counted as warforged. I retract my previous statement, and admit I was wrong.

dextercorvia
2011-08-12, 09:32 PM
Interestingly enough, no, it doesn't. However, you need toughness to take it, and it can only be taken at first level. So its pretty much limited to human-only, unless you count flaws.

Without flaws, Strongheart Halfling and Half-elf Paragon1 can pull it off. Warforged (or any other race) can do it if they start as Monks of the Undying Way.

Necroticplague
2011-08-13, 05:28 AM
Without flaws, Strongheart Halfling and Half-elf Paragon1 can pull it off. Warforged (or any other race) can do it if they start as Monks of the Undying Way.

Or bear totem barbarians.

dextercorvia
2011-08-13, 11:06 AM
Or bear totem barbarians.

Oh thank goodness. I was hoping it wouldn't require Monk. Now we need a way to also get a Bonus Warforged feat at level 1, or retroactively gain Adamantine Body in order to get into Warforged Juggernaut. This build is so much easier with flaws.