PDA

View Full Version : CR, EL and exp? I dont get it!

Zombimode
2011-08-12, 04:51 AM
Ok, Im new at GMing D&D 3.5 (I a veteran in GMing itself, just doing it for D&D 3.5 is new to me).

I recently found out that caculating exp is somewhat of a mystery to me. Specificly the role EL and CR play for it.
The source of my confusion: this (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) Encounter Calculator. It gives me wildly different exp counts for encounter of the same EL, but different CRs.
Even more confusing, I get encounter that give more exp than others of higher EL.

How and why?

Kefkafreak
2011-08-12, 05:01 AM
The experience the player characters gain depends on the individual CRs of the monsters / traps / whatever involved in the encounter. EL means nothing, it's just there so you know how hard the encounter will be.

(At least for this calculator)

deuxhero
2011-08-12, 05:02 AM
^CR is the Rating of the Challenge an eno****er poses, hence why.

Greenish
2011-08-12, 05:04 AM
It seems that a few higher CR monsters give more XP than a larger number of lower CR monsters, even with the same EL. I don't know why.

[Edit]:
^CR is the Rating of the Challenge an eno****er poses, hence why.Challenge rating is how hard an individual monster is. Encounters have EL, not CR.

Zombimode
2011-08-12, 05:19 AM
The experience the player characters gain depends on the individual CRs of the monsters / traps / whatever involved in the encounter. EL means nothing, it's just there so you know how hard the encounter will be.

Yeah, thats what I dont understand.
If EL is a measure of the challange of an encounter and Exp is the reward for overcoming challanges, shouldnt encounters of the same EL always be rewarded with the same amount of Exp (for the same number of PC of the same ECL of course)?

Kefkafreak
2011-08-12, 05:49 AM
No, because both EL and Experience are calculated from CR, so an encounter with EL 7.21 is easier than an encounter with EL 7.99 (which is almost 8). However, both are EL 7.