PDA

View Full Version : Do you know a monster with ranks in Open Lock?

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-12, 07:27 AM
Dear friends, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

My ~12th lvl wizard (conjurer) is thwarted in her ingenious plan to probe thoughts the sleeping human king in the elven palace to "prove" that he is up to no good, because he locked his door. :smallannoyed:

Her warlock friend is completely useless, as usual. Hrmpf. The most likely thing my conjurer would do is to summon monster V something or someone that can lockpick the door for her. Does anybody know of a creature that would be appropriate?

Concerning alternative courses of action: she doesn't have any other spells prepared that would do the job, and it needs to be silent enough, because it wouldn't be good for the peace negotiations if anybody found out (let's assume that summoning something only produces a soft *poof*).

Thanks.

Luckmann
2011-08-12, 07:33 AM
Hire a rogue at the local Thieve's Guild? :smalltongue:

flumphy
2011-08-12, 07:36 AM
Does he have to pick the lock for some reason? Could he, for example, break the lock, or bust down the door, or teleport past it?

CTrees
2011-08-12, 07:45 AM
Or move through it ethereally? Or go through a window?

Perhaps an earth elemental? Have it earthglide through the wall, then open the door from the other side?

Other than that, I'm AFB at the moment, so nothing easy I can see by the SRD alone. There might be a mephit for that, somewhere.

Diarmuid
2011-08-12, 07:50 AM
Buy a scroll of Knock?

CTrees
2011-08-12, 07:55 AM
Actually, can you cast Blink? Just push through the door/wall/ceiling.

Runestar
2011-08-12, 07:57 AM
PHB2 has the luminous assassin spell, which summons a human rogue that can, amongst other things, open locks. The 5th lv spell version summons a 3rd lv rogue with an open locks check of +8. That enough for you? :smallannoyed:

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-12, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys, those are a few generally good suggestions.

Some options are too noisy and easily visible afterwards (breaking the door down, forcing the lock) and we need an immediate solution, so no hiring people or buying scrolls. (That story about the beautiful sister who doesn't dare go to sleep because of a centipede in her bed isn't going to keep the guard away forever...)

Climbing a window might do it, but we don't have the best climb checks around. I do have dimension door prepared, but only once. I don't want to risk getting stuck until daybreak in the room if the key is unfindable.

I really like the idea of the earth elemental earthgliding! I don't have blink, but I didn't know I could do that, good tip.

And that luminous assassin spell sounds like the exact right thing. I know what I'll be studying when all this is done...

That enough for you? :smallannoyed: No need to get angry about it, sheesh...:smallconfused: :smallwink:

Drachasor
2011-08-12, 08:28 AM
If you don't have time to prepare spells new spells, then why don't you tell us what spells the party does have prepared?

Luckmann
2011-08-12, 08:32 AM
[...]

I do have dimension door prepared, but only once. I don't want to risk getting stuck until daybreak in the room if the key is unfindable.

[...]I'd risk it. Dimension Door to the other side, do your business, and grab the key. It has to be in there, after all; otherwise he wouldn't be able to get out. Other solutions may include simply jumping from the room into the mote I assume to be beneath it. Or tie the curtains together and climb down - down is always easier than up.

If all else fails, beat the king to death in his sleep and break the door down from the inside and cheese it.

Runestar
2011-08-12, 08:49 AM
No need to get angry about it, sheesh...

Apologies if I seemed rude, but my smilie wasn't intended to show any displeasure, but rather the uncertainty of how useful a 3rd lv rogue would be to a 12th lv wizard. This is what I get when I choose smilies based on what I think they convey, rather than their actual meaning. :smalltongue:

Quietus
2011-08-12, 09:05 AM
Sounds like the Earth Elemental earth glide is your solution, then. SM5 can get you a medium earth elemental, or 1d4+1 small ones.

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-12, 09:14 AM
I'd risk it. Dimension Door to the other side, do your business, and grab the key. It has to be in there, after all; otherwise he wouldn't be able to get out.

Hmpf. Good point.

My prepared spells:
0: detect m, read m, prestidigitation, message
1: comp. languages, charm person, mount, nether trail (Book of Vile Darkness, lures outsiders along a chosen path), ray of enfeeblement, unseen servant
2: rope trick, scare, invisibility, melf's acid arrow, touch of idiocy, ray of sickness
3: stinking cloud, dispel magic, fly, m circle against evil, vampiric touch, greater mage armor
4: dimensional anchor, dimension door, summon monster IV
5: teleport, dismissal, balful polymorph, summon monster V
6: planar binding, probe thoughts, disintegrate (but that would leave evidence)

*strikethrough = used

*grumble grumble making me write down my whole spell list grumble*

Diarmuid
2011-08-12, 09:26 AM
Unseen Servant slides under the door and opens it...Tada.

Either moving the bar across the door or looking for the key.

Edit - Wait you have Dim Door and Teleport prepared...what's the problem.

Drachasor
2011-08-12, 09:29 AM
Silly question, but what exactly is your plan if the King is awake or wakes up?

CTrees
2011-08-12, 09:45 AM
6: planar binding

As a fallback, I guarantee there's something you can get with PB that can pick a lock, cast Knock, or do something else that'll make the lock irrelevant. Really, you have a crapload of options, here.

Summoning an earth elemental or using Unseen Servant would be my first choices, though.

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-12, 11:23 AM
Unseen Servant slides under the door and opens it...Tada.

Either moving the bar across the door or looking for the key.

Edit - Wait you have Dim Door and Teleport prepared...what's the problem.

Unseen servant might actually work, yes. I was assuming that looking for a key is too hard for it (it's mindless after all), but I suppose trying won't hurt. And if the key is in the door, it's perfect!

Hm the teleport spell. Hehehe. I didn't overlook that. >.> I was erm... saving it for later. :smallredface:

Excellent question, in fact. Why then I will turn him into a sloth and catch him. We will only turn him back if he agrees not to snitch on us. :smallbiggrin: Great plan, don't you think?

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-12, 11:25 AM
As a fallback, I guarantee there's something you can get with PB that can pick a lock, cast Knock, or do something else that'll make the lock irrelevant. Really, you have a crapload of options, here.

Summoning an earth elemental or using Unseen Servant would be my first choices, though.

Hm - bit of a risky option, but a good fallback indeed, thanks!

Greenish
2011-08-12, 11:38 AM
Climbing a window might do it, but we don't have the best climb checks around.Your warlock friend doesn't have flight or even spider's climb? Sheesh!

Telonius
2011-08-12, 11:43 AM
Another option: Marvelous Pigments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments). Just paint another smaller, unlocked door on top of the existing door. Costs 4000gp, takes 10 minutes, and involves a check. But, it makes very little noise, and you're guaranteed to not have to worry about actually finding the key.

faceroll
2011-08-12, 11:46 AM
The Babau demon has +11 to open locks:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm

You can summon one with a Summon Monster VII spell or call one with a Planar Binding spell.

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-12, 12:08 PM
Erm, perhaps my warlock friend does have that stuff. I've never actually seen her do it...

Marvellous pigments sound really cool, I might buy some when I get the chance.

The Babau demon has +11 to open locks:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm

You can summon one with a Summon Monster VII spell or call one with a Planar Binding spell.

Hehe, that's very tempting to this wizard in particular. She used to be an acolyte of the skin, until some good goddess saved her. Now she thinks she's leading a very pious life.

Drachasor
2011-08-12, 04:14 PM
Excellent question, in fact. Why then I will turn him into a sloth and catch him. We will only turn him back if he agrees not to snitch on us. :smallbiggrin: Great plan, don't you think?

Well....great as in terrible. I look forward to your plan blowing up in your face if it comes to that.

Zale
2011-08-12, 04:37 PM

1. Sneak into the castle.
2. Turn the king into a sloth.
3. ?????
4. Profit!

Perhaps you can get your unseen servant to open the door from the inside/grab the key.

Wait- Can you tell an unseen servant to get something when you don't know where it is?

ericgrau
2011-08-12, 04:40 PM
Prismatic dragon has it.

But seriously get knock, dissolve the hinges, etc.

And you do realize that all casting must be done with a strong voice, don't you? Without silent spell this may be difficult.

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-12, 04:58 PM
Teleport works on objects, too, doesn't it? And a door is an object. Is the door's weight under your maximum load?

If not, just teleport yourself and the door five feet away. Even if you are super unlucky and get "off target," the distance you were teleporting is so short that you will not go particularly far off course.

Enter the now-doorless room, do what you've got to do, and do your best to re-attach the door before you leave.

(But yeah, SMV -> 1d4+1 Small Earth Elementals is by far your best bet. They're pretty dumb, but if you can show them what you're looking for, having 2-5 elementals searching for the key should be able to do the trick.)

Slipperychicken
2011-08-12, 05:37 PM
I don't want to risk getting stuck until daybreak in the room if the key is unfindable.

Let the DM know how stupid it would be for the King's Chambers to be locked from the inside. DD in, Teleport out if you have to. If he wakes up, Charm Person.

"Good morning your majesty! I'm on a very secret quest, the success of which is critical to X, so please tell me if you've been up to no good lately."

(Charisma Check) "Please O King, the Quest is of great importance, tell me if/how you've been up to no good!"

ericgrau
2011-08-12, 05:38 PM
Teleport works on objects, too, doesn't it
Actually that's what the higher level spell teleport object is for.

Luckmann
2011-08-12, 05:53 PM

I suggest a heavy rock.

One day, I will play an Orc Wizard with very low Wisdom.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-08-12, 06:07 PM
I suggest a heavy rock.

One day, I will play an Orc Wizard with very low Wisdom.

Ah yes, Trauma Induced Amnesia. Works every time. Except for those times when it doesn't.

Luckmann
2011-08-12, 06:10 PM
Ah yes, Trauma Induced Amnesia. Works every time. Except for those times when it doesn't.
Amnesia? What's that? A fancy way to say death-by-face-stone? You hit him once. You hit him twice. You hit him thrice. And then you keep hitting him until the red water stops coming out of him and his grin is gone so he can NEVER laugh at you AGAIN!

jguy
2011-08-12, 08:51 PM
Amnesia? What's that? A fancy way to say death-by-face-stone? You hit him once. You hit him twice. You hit him thrice. And then you keep hitting him until the red water stops coming out of him and his grin is gone so he can NEVER laugh at you AGAIN!

I feel like Luckmann is having a flashback right now...should I call the cops?

Runestar
2011-08-12, 08:53 PM
I feel like Luckmann is having a flashback right now...should I call the cops?

Nah, just whack him with a rolled up newspaper while calling "Bad dog!" and he will be back to normal. :smallamused:

Marillion
2011-08-12, 09:12 PM
If nothing else, if you do get trapped in his room, Rope Trick should let you hide out until the king wakes up and leaves his room.

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-12, 11:20 PM
Actually that's what the higher level spell teleport object is for.

Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures...

You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load.

Yes, I understand that Teleport Object exists. But Teleport should work as well - you'd just have to go along with it. Hence only teleporting a few feet away, since the "Off Target" portion of Teleport is based on a percentage of the distance you were traveling.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-12, 11:32 PM
You have a warlock. A wand of Knock is an inexpensive way to never worry about locks again. He can Take 10 on UMD checks, so he can never fail the check.

Steward
2011-08-12, 11:37 PM
I don't understand how you would get 'trapped' in the room after finding a way inside. I mean, if you sneak in, what's stopping you from just unlocking the door and leaving without having to find a key? What kind of door needs to be unlocked using a key from inside and outside? And if that's the case, there's nothing your earth elemental can do to let you in.

NNescio
2011-08-12, 11:45 PM
I don't understand how you would get 'trapped' in the room after finding a way inside. I mean, if you sneak in, what's stopping you from just unlocking the door and leaving without having to find a key? What kind of door needs to be unlocked using a key from inside and outside? And if that's the case, there's nothing your earth elemental can do to let you in.

Teleport in. Run out of spells to teleport out.

Blink in. Run out of spells to blink out.

Gaseous Form in... Well, you get the idea.

Highly unlikely, but still.

Vangor
2011-08-13, 01:03 AM
I don't understand how you would get 'trapped' in the room after finding a way inside. I mean, if you sneak in, what's stopping you from just unlocking the door and leaving without having to find a key? What kind of door needs to be unlocked using a key from inside and outside?

Older locks often had to be locked and unlocked in the same manner from both sides using a single cylinder. More modern locks have been made with two cylinders rather than having a simple handle to unlock a deadbolt such as with glass or small openings to prevent easy entry. Not unlikely.

Fortunately, no one remembers those times.

AMFV
2011-08-13, 01:07 PM
I'm fairly sure warlocks get shatter at will as one of their invocations. You can always shatter the lock (the physical one, not the warlock)...

Also I would be VERY careful, locked doors RAW, don't prevent divinations... ergo, if the king has defenses against scrying it is highly unlikely he doesn't have a host of more powerful defenses against other things.

Drachasor
2011-08-13, 01:34 PM
I'm fairly sure warlocks get shatter at will as one of their invocations. You can always shatter the lock (the physical one, not the warlock)...

That assumes the Warlock took that invocation, to be fair.

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-15, 04:30 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! That'll teach me to never again assume I have thought things through... :smallredface:

On second thought, the earth elementals wouldn't work out for me because I do not speak terran (and thus cannot convey my wishes to them).

Teleporting away carrying the door is very creative, good thinking. Only thing, if I were the DM, I wouldn't allow it on account of the door being too firmly attached to the palace to count as a separate object. A judgement call, really.

I will try the unseen servant first. Good point about the casting requiring a strong voice ericgrau, I'll make sure to cast it in a secure spot.

Again, thanks everyone :smallsmile: Nothing can go wrong now...!

Luckmann
2011-08-15, 06:06 AM
Don't forget to tell us how it worked out :smallbiggrin:

kabreras
2011-08-15, 07:33 AM
Dimentional door in.
Teleport out.

Cerlis
2011-08-15, 07:41 AM
can you probe thoughts (never read it) to see if hes awake. Then go and dimension door in, find the key, summon a monkey or eagle to fly/carry you down. and use teleport as backup?

probably wouldnt work with casting verbal components.

Also if things go wrong, cant use use Charm person to temporarily make someone your friend and then take all the time you need to diplomacy him up to friendly? with a bonus , cus since he is charmed he will actually listen to stuff he might have disregarded from a stranger?

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-15, 08:29 AM
can you probe thoughts (never read it) to see if hes awake. Then go and dimension door in, find the key, summon a monkey or eagle to fly/carry you down. and use teleport as backup?

probably wouldnt work with casting verbal components.

Also if things go wrong, cant use use Charm person to temporarily make someone your friend and then take all the time you need to diplomacy him up to friendly? with a bonus , cus since he is charmed he will actually listen to stuff he might have disregarded from a stranger?

Probe thoughts needs line of sight and line of effect. Otherwise this thread would have been rather redundant :smallwink:

Alright Luckmann, I'll post you all how it went :smallsmile:

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-17, 04:19 AM
So, here's how it went: unseen servant took care of the door very quickly. Turns out the key was in the lock. By the way, if the key had been anywhere else, the unseen servant could have found it only if the search DC were 10 or less.

So my friend keeps a lookout while I sneak in to cast the spell. Unfortunately,
-It's a trap!-
The king has convinced some of our allies that we might be out to murder him, and they have been waiting in the dressing room with him to see if we would. Now they are convinced we did come to kill him. MAN, if only they had bothered to take ranks in spellcraft.

We are bound, gagged, and being lead off to death row. :smallfrown:

I wanted to use my unseen servant to free us, but as it needs verbal commands, it will wink out one we are dragged off.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/215171-unseen-servant-bonds.html

uh-oh...

Coidzor
2011-08-17, 04:39 AM
So my friend keeps a lookout while I sneak in to cast the spell. Unfortunately,
-It's a trap!-
The king has convinced some of our allies that we might be out to murder him, and they have been waiting in the dressing room with him to see if we would. Now they are convinced we did come to kill him. MAN, if only they had bothered to take ranks in spellcraft.

These are your... Allies?

I find this hard to believe.

GrumpyWizard
2011-08-17, 04:59 AM
These are your... Allies?

I find this hard to believe.

Ego's are involved. We've been kinda... unorthodox in the past. It's complicated.

Coidzor
2011-08-17, 05:01 AM
Ego's are involved. We've been kinda... unorthodox in the past. It's complicated.

It sounds like your group broke the first rule of gaming. Well, I guess that was a given since you split the party. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa2ucfgVgQ)

But yeah, kudos to the DM and the rest of your group for creating this situation where half of the players sold the other half upriver.