PDA

View Full Version : Naming Solars

Gorfang113
2011-08-12, 10:01 AM
So for my campaign world for various reasons i have decided to limit the number of Solars in the universe to 12. I have also increased their power a bit (cause they totally needed that....). This also lets me give each one a name. I am thinking more of them having titles than names. Currently I have The Solar of Truth, The Solar of Justice, and The Solar of Judgement. I am at a blank for more, so if you can think of any please tell, and I will choose the ones I like best. Also, am I right in thinking that a Solar and a Pit Fiend would team up in an instant to kill a Balor or other demon? Thanks in advance :smallsmile:.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-12, 10:28 AM
Gary stupid stupid Stupid filter

Alleran
2011-08-12, 10:48 AM
Bob.

(Obligatory requirement for message length.)

Thalnawr
2011-08-12, 10:51 AM
Currently I have The Solar of Truth, The Solar of Justice, and The Solar of Judgement. I am at a blank for more, so if you can think of any please tell, and I will choose the ones I like best.

Let's see, you might want to theme some of them after the ideals and virtues as well. Things like Hope, Mercy, Charity, Purity, Love, Honor, Zeal, etc...

LaughingRogue
2011-08-12, 10:54 AM
Make one of them be a fallen solar.

Taelas
2011-08-12, 10:55 AM
The unlucky 13th? Heh.

silphael
2011-08-12, 10:56 AM
Not if there are 12. But a 13th solar could exist, and be a fallen one.

But if they are fallen solars, make that redeemed fiends exist.

Ormur
2011-08-12, 11:05 AM
Seems like you're stuck with a theme, try to find nine other suitable sounding good nouns. Are they equally split between LG, NG and CG?

Valour
Prowess
Freedom
Equality

Telonius
2011-08-12, 11:31 AM
Am I right in thinking that a Solar and a Pit Fiend would team up in an instant to kill a Balor or other demon?

If your setting says they would, then yes.

Generally, Solars wouldn't work directly with anything evil-aligned. However, a Pit Fiend would certainly be willing to work with a Solar if that furthered its interests. If the Blood War (between Devils and Demons) exists in your setting, the Devils might well want to incite the Solars into a combat with Demons. That would be pitting two of its enemies against each other. In a conflict between Solars and Demons, Devils win.

Andreaz
2011-08-12, 11:39 AM
First and Forsaken Lion
Lover Clad In Raiment Of Tears
Mask Of Winters
Walker In Darkness
Bodhisattva Anointed With Dark Waters
Princess Magnificent With Lips Of Coral And Robes Of Black Feathers
:p

FMArthur
2011-08-12, 11:42 AM
Name them Balor, Pit Fiend, Dragon, Beholder, and other monster names. Build a fibreglass DM screen to protect from hurled books in rage at your trickery.

Vemynal
2011-08-12, 11:57 AM
Solar of Wrath
Solar of Fury
Solar of Grace
Solar of Reason
Solar of Truth
Solar of Law
Solar of Duty
Solar of All

(thank you magic the gathering and me having an Angel themed deck lol)

Redrat2k6
2011-08-12, 12:11 PM
Here is a list of historical Angels and what they are known for. I used their generic terms for use in your campaign.

1. Malachim (Generic for Angel)
2. Michael (Perfect One)
3. Gabriel (Angel of Strength)
4. Raphael (The Healer)
5. Uriel (Bringer of Light)
6. Ophanim (Guardian of the Throne)
7. Adriel (Watcher of the Flock)
8. Ambriel (Guardian of the Stars and Heavens)
9. Azrael (Angel of Death)
10. Barachiel (Ruler of Angels)
11. Eremiel (Watcher of the Abyss)
12. Hadraniel (The Great One)

Lapak
2011-08-12, 12:22 PM
Twelve of them, named after virtues? You could go with the Ultima list; that gives you a hierarchy of 8 which report to 3 which report to One. You've already got two of them in your list, but the third would have to be tweaked.

Solars of
Honesty,
Compassion,
Valor,
Justice,
Sacrifice,
Honor,
Spirituality,
and Humility

Report to Solars of
Truth,
Love,
and Courage

who report to the Solar of Infinity.

Urpriest
2011-08-12, 05:21 PM
You could also steal a few from the Celestial Hebdomand in the BoED.

Drachasor
2011-08-12, 05:23 PM
Bob.

I agree with this. Have all of the others have really fancy or unusual names, and one of them just prefers to go by "Bob". No one remembers what he used to be called.

Flickerdart
2011-08-12, 05:35 PM
Well, you've got the standard seven virtues - Prudence, Justice, Temperance, Courage, Faith, Hope, Charity. Complement as necessary from non-standard ones, like the Romans' Gravitas, Honesty, Mercy, Dignity or Tenacity among others.

Zale
2011-08-12, 05:36 PM
I agree with this. Have all of the others have really fancy or unusual names, and one of them just prefers to go by "Bob". No one remembers what he used to be called.

^ This.

"Quake in fear wicked beings before the righteous fury of the mighty solar, BOB!"

:smalleek:

Luckmann
2011-08-12, 06:13 PM
Castiel.

Obviously. :smallbiggrin:

Runestar
2011-08-12, 06:15 PM
Name after magic: the gathering angels? :smallbiggrin:

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=magic+the+gathering+angels&hl=en&biw=1155&bih=700&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=87NFTui1OcTXrQetoJ2MBA&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ

Midnight_v
2011-08-12, 06:32 PM
Here is a list of historical Angels and what they are known for. I used their generic terms for use in your campaign.

1. Malachim (Generic for Angel)
2. Michael (Perfect One)
3. Gabriel (Angel of Strength)
4. Raphael (The Healer)
5. Uriel (Bringer of Light)
6. Ophanim (Guardian of the Throne)
7. Adriel (Watcher of the Flock)
8. Ambriel (Guardian of the Stars and Heavens)
9. Azrael (Angel of Death)
10. Barachiel (Ruler of Angels)
11. Eremiel (Watcher of the Abyss)
12. Hadraniel (The Great One)

I like this pretty much to make an angel name you put the word "ael" or "iel" on the end of a root word that may or may not have a meaning. "-im" is a discriptor as well.
Those are pretty much angel sounding names. There also the book of exalted deeds angels as well.

Luckmann
2011-08-12, 06:48 PM
I like this pretty much to make an angel name you put the word "ael" or "iel" on the end of a root word that may or may not have a meaning. "-im" is a discriptor as well.
Those are pretty much angel sounding names. There also the book of exalted deeds angels as well.

Bobiel.
Garyim.
Steveim.
Bruceiel.

Yep. Totally works.

Gensh
2011-08-12, 06:48 PM

Just to point out, -el is generally taken as El, but in the genitive case (of El), wherein El is a specific deity. While many accept names ending with that suffix as being angelic, you might want to mix things up a bit by instead adding a genitive ending for you setting's god(s)' name(s). Conversely -im is just a plural suffix, like -s in English. tree:trees::seraph:seraphim

As far as virtues go, Wikipedia has a very exhaustive list.

Axinian
2011-08-12, 06:56 PM
Relevance. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_angelic_hierarchy)

I really like naming stuff after Judeo-Christian lore, sure-fire way to make things sound important.

Urpriest
2011-08-12, 07:00 PM
Bobiel.
Garyim.
Steveim.
Bruceiel.

Yep. Totally works.

Hmm...Hebrewizing them a bit could make those pretty credible. Brukiel for instance, or pronouncing Bobiel as Boe-biel, or Steveim as Ste-vay-im.

Comet
2011-08-12, 07:05 PM
Twelve of them, named after virtues? You could go with the Ultima list; that gives you a hierarchy of 8 which report to 3 which report to One. You've already got two of them in your list, but the third would have to be tweaked.

Solars of
Honesty,
Compassion,
Valor,
Justice,
Sacrifice,
Honor,
Spirituality,
and Humility

Report to Solars of
Truth,
Love,
and Courage

who report to the Solar of Infinity.

That's a great idea. Firstly because I really like the spiritual system in Ultima and secondly because Solar of Infinity sounds like an undeniably badass name for any purpose. I'll be sure to use this when I happen to run something to do with celestial agents again.

NNescio
2011-08-12, 07:13 PM
Gandalf. Or Olórin, if you prefer.

Along with Eönwë, Ilmarë, Ossë, Uinen, Salmar, Mairon, Melian, Arien, Tilion, Curunír, and Aiwendil. Plus Melkor, "The Enemy".

Funny that there are three fallen angels on that list.

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-12, 07:17 PM
Michael. Raphael. Uriel. Ezekiel (who wasn't an angel but eh). Gabriel.

All good angel names. >.>

Glimbur
2011-08-12, 08:13 PM
Trust. Loyalty. Helpfulness. Friendliness...? Maybe the Scout Law isn't the best naming scheme, though it does have 12 points.

Jalor
2011-08-12, 08:46 PM
Either go with virtues for easy-to-remember names, or use Judeo-Christian angel names - Sachiel, Shamshel, Ramiel, Gaghiel, Israfel, Sandalphon, Matariel, Sahaquiel, Iruel, Leliel, Bardiel, Zeruel, Arael, Armisael...

Of course, you'd have to play the Hallelujah chorus if your party ever encountered Arael. Cookie for anyone who gets the reference.

Alleran
2011-08-12, 08:59 PM
If we're using the -iel suffix, then some other names are Amatiel, Amachiel and Castiel.

I still prefer "Bob" though, for its simplicity.

Drachasor
2011-08-12, 09:02 PM
Bob is the Archon of This and That (the stuff that slips through the cracks).

Zale
2011-08-12, 09:04 PM
I feel the urge to mention Anoia, goddess of things that get stuck in drawers.

:smallsmile:

Anyway, you can just slap -el or -iel on any name to give it an angelic feel.

Rising Phoenix
2011-08-12, 10:32 PM
Name them after real life constellation, planets and solar systems?

(which in turn have been named from (mostly) down to earth things...:P)

FMArthur
2011-08-13, 01:57 PM
If you make one of them evil, consider the Corvus character from Dragon Quest IX. It's latin for raven (and is the genus name that includes crows and ravens), and I always thought it was a good name for a villain angel. The game in general is about angels that protect the realm of mortals, so pretty much any name used by a Celestrian in the game is likely to have similarly logical roots (unless it's a pun!) and would therefore fit solars very easily. You wouldn't need to take the characters themselves or use the names exactly as they are to get good inspiration out of it.

navar100
2011-08-13, 04:19 PM

It comes from Hebrew and other Semitic languages. El is God, mostly for adjective or adverb uses. Angel names have "el" at the end because they are servants of God. Jacob wrestled an Angel and won. He was renamed Israel because of it.

"Amen" is actually the acronym of "El Melech Ne'eman", taking the Aleph, Mem, and Nun from each word. It means let it be so by God, the King.

"Im" is a plural suffix in Hebrew, as "s" and "es" are in English.