PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Statting: The Song and Dance Man

Adam...?
2011-08-12, 11:32 AM
In the time honored tradition of DMs everywhere, I found a something cool on the internet, and therefore I'm going to blatantly steal it and use it in my campaign.

There's this great creepypasta called The Song and Dance Man (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100816062514/creepypasta/images/8/84/Song_and_Dance_Man.png). I think there's a lot of good flavor and description there, so I'm thinking the guy could make a good villain.

He's definitely got a demonic sort of vibe to him. And I like the idea of him stealing people's souls, and maybe even animating the lifeless husks of his victims.

So how would you stat him up? Bard seems to be the obvious choice, but besides the perform and Fascinate bit of bardic music, there's not really much else there. Warlock, however, seems to fit the fluff here, and probably makes for a more interesting encounter. Is there a decent way to multiclass there? Good prestige classes?

Templates are also fair game. Fiendish seems okay, but I'm open to other suggestions. Also, I'm not even sure what the base race would be. Probably human or tiefling, unless there's an appropriate sort of demon/devil I'm missing.

To make things more interesting, as part of the setting, I'm allowed (nay, encouraged) to give the guy abilities that completely break the rules of DnD. This could let me handwave the whole "how is he stealing souls?" question, or could let him use his Fascinate bardic performance against an unlimited number of creatures simultaneously. Maybe he uses Hellfire Warlock, but is allowed to fuel the hellfire with his stolen souls, thus allowing him to avoid the Con damage?

Also: how to stat up soulless husk minions? The easy solution says simple zombies, but that doesn't exactly make for an interesting encounter when the PCs are lvl 13. Maybe something more along the lines of a Necropolitan or Corpse Creature? Evolved Undead?

Bottom line: I'm aiming for ECL15-18 on the big guy himself. I'd love to hear your ideas/interpretations.

flumphy
2011-08-12, 11:37 AM
Fun fact: Warlocks can qualify for the Virtuoso PrC, which grants fascinate at first level. For expediency, you need a dip or a feat to pick up perform as a class skill, although by that ECL it wouldn't necessarily matter.

Adam...?
2011-08-13, 12:30 PM
Virtuoso is brilliant. And with a maxed out perform ranks, Jarring Song makes for a nasty ability that'll keep PC casters on their toes (i.e., at least 30 ft. away), and really matches well with the other villains' abilities. Should keep combat interesting.

Also, I found the Unholy Scion template, which is more or less exactly what I was looking for. Stat increases (+4 Cha!), energy resistances, spell resistance, DR, and fun SLAs. Exactly how I'd turn a human into an unsettling, yet mostly normal looking demonic horror.

So as of right now, The Song and Dance Man is a Human Unholy Scion Warlock 7/Virtuoso 5/Hellfire Warlock 3. I'm still futzing around with invocations and feats and the like, but everything is looking pretty good at the moment.

Madcrafter
2011-08-13, 02:10 PM
You could also try the Dirgesinger from Libris Mortis. They get to animate corpses with a song, and some of their other songs seem like they would fit the character. You could also do some refluffing of the Dark speech from the BoVD, maybe so it can improve your music like the good version of the feat.

Edit: My mistake, the dirgesinger can only animate one corpse at a time, though they are beastly. You could allow him to do more, or just ignore my suggestion.