PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Learning Beguiler

LaughingRogue
2011-08-12, 02:53 PM
What spells are best to take for advanced learning for a beguiler?

Advanced learning max spell level:

Note I am very partial to Enchantments over illusions but any help will be accepted with open arms.

I'm thinking Tasha's Hideous laughter for 3rd level , but besides that i'm not too sure.

No book limitations.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-12, 02:56 PM
I would take Greater Shadow Evocation for 8 to get you pretty much the entire evocation line, which includes some good stuff. Overland Flight is really good if you can get it in, and Gate or Shapechange for 9 would be my suggestions.

Vladislav
2011-08-12, 03:02 PM
There's a trick of taking a level of Mindbender (or any PrC that advances spellcasting) for your 7th level, delaying the 7th level of Beguiler to character level 8. Then you can choose a fourth level spell as your Advanced Learning.

Overland Flight is really good if you can get it in, and Gate or Shapechange for 9 would be my suggestions. I'm AFB now, but isn't Advanced Learning limited to Illusion/Enchantment spells?

Tvtyrant
2011-08-12, 03:08 PM
I'm AFB now, but isn't Advanced Learning limited to Illusion/Enchantment spells?

Is it? Nevermind my other suggestions, but GSE is a good spell.

sreservoir
2011-08-12, 03:14 PM
ray of stupidity one-shots animals, and most magical beasts. if you're into metamagic cheese, it kills average humanoids, too; otherwise, a few extra shots should do it.

and yes, illusion and enchantment only.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-08-12, 03:34 PM
I think you put your character level for the first one instead of the max available spell level.

If you use Versatile Spellcaster to gain early access to the next higher level of spells, even if you don't cast any of them, your max spell levels are 2, 5, 7, 9, and 9. In that case, my preferred choices would be Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Greater Shadow Evocation, and Superior Invisibility.

Psyren
2011-08-12, 03:36 PM
There's a trick of taking a level of Mindbender (or any PrC that advances spellcasting) for your 7th level, delaying the 7th level of Beguiler to character level 8. Then you can choose a fourth level spell as your Advanced Learning.

This. Not only do you get the A.L. benefits, but Mindbender is extremely flavorful with Beguiler AND you get telepathy (which qualifies you for the amazing Mindsight feat.)

LaughingRogue
2011-08-12, 03:44 PM
I am doing that....my chart is already adjusted for it...though I think the first one is 1 too high

Optimator
2011-08-12, 04:24 PM
The Beguiler Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322.msg71147#msg71148) has a decent list of options for advanced learning.

I like Ray of Dizziness a ton as well as Ray of Stupidity.

Randomguy
2011-08-12, 09:08 PM
Try Hiss of sleep from spell compedium, which puts people to sleep with no HD limit. A good illusion of that level is solipsism, which makes someone think that everything is an illusion and basically makes them helpless.

Wrathful castigation and final rebuke are both save or dies, level 8th and 7th respectively, and wrathful castigation needs to save: If you make the first but fail the second you live but take a saving throw penalty.

Then there's programmed amnesia, a 9th level spell that teaches you everything a subject knows and also gives you the option to change his memory so that he thinks he was your best friend for his entire life.

sreservoir
2011-08-12, 09:19 PM
Then there's programmed amnesia, a 9th level spell that teaches you everything a subject knows and also gives you the option to change his memory so that he thinks he was your best friend for his entire life.

mindrape tends to be better, but it's, well, mindrape. and evil.

quite a bit faster, though, and instantaneous, and it isn't a compulsion.

but, well, it's mindrape.