PDA

View Full Version : Unfledged [3.5 class]

ideasmith
2011-08-12, 04:41 PM
Unfledged
Sometimes, a group of adventurers includes a character who seems to have no business being on an adventure. Such characters from fiction include Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit) and Garion (Pawn of Prophecy). Such characters often develop abilities they didn’t know they had. Often at a dramatically appropriate moment.

Warning: This class is not effective in combat. Or out of combat either. This is essential to the concept. Note that the Tagalong and Instant Metamorphosis class features make this less of a drag than it might otherwise be.

If having useful class abilities is important to you, play another class. If all party members having useful class features is important to the gaming group, play another class.

Balance Note: Metamorphosis can have an effect on encounter planning similar to a player arriving in mid-game. You can’t be sure just how many effective party members there will be for a given encounter.
Abilities: Tagalong keeps the encounters appropriate to your actual abilities. Metamorphosis lets you abandon this class (permanently) at a dramatically appropriate moment or when being nigh-useless gets old, whichever comes first.
Races: Adventuring unfledgeds usually come from one of the shorter-lived races (such as humans or halflings), since longer-lived unfledgeds tend to realize their potential while still in childhood, before they start adventuring.

Hit Die: d4
Alignment: Any.
Starting Gold: 1d20 gp (10 gp).
Starting Age: Simple, As Rogue.

Class Skills
The unfledged’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: None. Unfledged have no class skills.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Unfledged
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st+0+0+0+0 Dormant Talent, Metamorphosis, Partial Metamorphosis, Illiteracy, Tagalong
2nd+1+0+0+0
3rd+2+1+1+1
4th+3+1+1+1
5th+3+1+1+1
6th+4+2+2+2
7th+5+2+2+2
8th+6/+1+2+2+2
9th+6/+1+3+3+3
10th+7/+2+3+3+3
11th+8/+3+3+3+3
12th+9/+4+4+4+4
13th+9/+4+4+4+4
14th+10/+5+4+4+4
15th+11/+6/+1+5+5+5
16th+12/+7/+2+5+5+5
17th+12/+7/+2+5+5+5
18th+13/+8/+3+6+6+6
19th+14/+9/+4+6+6+6
20th+15/+10/+5+6+6+6

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An unfledged is proficient with either clubs or daggers (choose one), and with no armor or shields.

Dormant Talent:Dormant Talent: At 1st level, the unfledged gains a Dormant Talent, which can be accessed using the Metamorphosis class feature described below. The Dormant Talent is written up as a character, permissible for play by the rules in use, which differs from the unfledged as specified below. If the Dormant Talent has one or more abilities which require preparation (such as spellcasting), then the details of up to one hour of preparation for them is also written up as part of the Dormant Talent. The Dormant Talent changes and gains levels as the unfledged does.
Class: This must differ. The Dormant Talent may not have any levels in unfledged.
Feats and Skills: These may differ, and differences in prerequisites, bonus feats, skill points and class skills may well require that they differ.
Alignment: This may differ. While the new alignment remains despite previous behavior, or any counter-effect short of a wish, subsequent behavior is subject to the normal rules for alignment change.
Ability Scores, Race, Gender: These may differ if the DM allows. While there are no balance reasons for these to remain the same, there are likely to be fluff reasons.
Equipment: This may differ if the DM allows. Use the rules for starting characters above first level to determine such equipment. Artifacts are not affected. The new equipment is subject to normal loss and gain.

Metamorphosis:At 1st Level the unfledged gains the ability Metamorphosis. At any time, an unfledged may cease being an unfledged, replacing her current abilities and alignment with their dormant abilities (see above). This ability may be activated by either the player or the DM, and the unfledged need not be conscious or otherwise capable for it to activate. This is not reversible short of a wish. Whether a wish is sufficient is up to the dungeon master

Illiteracy:Unfledged do not automatically know how to read and write. An unfledged may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages she is able to speak. An already literate character who gains a level in unfledged retains literacy. A barbarian who gains a level in unfledged does not therefore become literate.

Tagalong:The presence of a tagalong is ignored when determining appropriate opposition or dividing the base XP award by the number of characters in the party. The tagalong still receives experience for the encounter.

Note that this adjustment may be reduced or eliminated if the unfledged is multi-classed. See Multi-Class Unfledgeds below.

Similarly, if an unfledged is part of the opposition to a D&D party, and the DM is making sure that metamorphosis is not a factor, the unfledged should be treated as if unfledged were an NPC class.

Multi-Class Unfledgeds
A character with one or more levels in unfledged may not take levels in any other class. Note that an unfledged using Metamorphosis is considered to lose all her levels in unfledged before gaining levels in any other class (es).
If fewer than half of the unfledged's levels are in unfledged, the Tagalong class feature is reduced in effect. Use the average of the normal results of Tagalong and the results when not applying Tagalong when determining appropriate opposition or dividing the base XP award by the number of characters in the party.
If fewer than a tenth of the unfledged's levels are in unfledged, the Tagalong class feature has no effect.

Ex-Unfledgeds
A character who has used Metamorphosis is no longer an unfledged, but may multi-class into unfledged normally.

Dumbledore lives
2011-08-12, 04:58 PM
I'm confused by the many metamorphosis abilities, since the change is not reversible it seems weird. I guess I just don't see the point of this class, it's like a commoner, but at some point he gets to transform into a useful character, though a commoner could use a crossbow.

I see what use this class could be for NPCs, but no player would ever play this class. I suppose that was the idea of the class, and if that was your point I guess you can call it a success.

ideasmith
2011-08-16, 07:49 PM
I'm confused by the many metamorphosis abilities, since the change is not reversible it seems weird. I guess I just don't see the point of this class, it's like a commoner, but at some point he gets to transform into a useful character, though a commoner could use a crossbow.

I see what use this class could be for NPCs, but no player would ever play this class. I suppose that was the idea of the class, and if that was your point I guess you can call it a success.

Starting out useless and getting a mid-adventure power upgrade occurs with some frequency in fiction, and cool enough to be worth playing through.

Welknair
2011-08-16, 08:03 PM
Uh... I remember seeing this somewhere else. They used Bilbo as an example, I think.

A-hah! I found it! Here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Unfledged_%283.5e_Class%29) it is.

They look remarkably similar...

ideasmith
2011-08-16, 08:31 PM
Uh... I remember seeing this somewhere else. They used Bilbo as an example, I think.

A-hah! I found it! Here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Unfledged_%283.5e_Class%29) it is.

They look remarkably similar...

I have posted this class in a number of places. That is an earlier version. The reasons for the biggest changes can be found here (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Talk:Unfledged_(3.5e_Class)), on the talk page for a different D&D wiki.

Welknair
2011-08-16, 08:33 PM
I have posted this class in a number of places. That is an earlier version. The reasons for the biggest changes can be found here (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Talk:Unfledged_(3.5e_Class)), on the talk page for a different D&D wiki.

I didn't realize that you created it. Shoulda looked at the author.. My bad. Well that'd be why it seemed familiar. :smalltongue: