PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Stoneblessed "Goliath" Barbarians

ExemplarofAvg
2011-08-12, 09:08 PM
So Stoneblessed let's you act like a member of another race. Now I think people have asked this question before but I'm making it a bit more specififc, So say a Halfling took Stoneblessed, now would they be able to use the Goliath Barbarian ACF's based on this, would he (DM providing, which I might) be able to swap out his previous barbarian features for the Goliath features or does it have to be new levels (the character hasn't been created yet.) Also how does the Mountain Rage which specifies large affect a small creature.

Kaje
2011-08-12, 09:17 PM
Whoa. I just mentioned something like this in another thread.

Yes, the small halfling would become large, oddly enough.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-08-12, 09:20 PM
Whoa. I just mentioned something like this in another thread.

Yes, the small halfling would become large, oddly enough.

No odd is a CE Blue Psion
A Small Medium at Large, lol.

And awesome, thanks. That's one part down. Just the question which comes down to "does the DM allow retraining class features" (Which I'm still working on, Mountain Rage is pretty powerful)

IthroZada
2011-08-12, 09:26 PM
That particular combo is one of the ways that people make the Hulk as a character.

Greenish
2011-08-12, 09:29 PM
Mountain Rage doesn't increase the size of your equipment, is worth remembering. A small weapon in your large hands gives a penalty, not to mention your armour might get torn.

IthroZada
2011-08-12, 09:32 PM
Mountain Rage doesn't increase the size of your equipment, is worth remembering. A small weapon in your large hands gives a penalty, not to mention your armour might get torn.

It also says your equipment still fits normally, so while you may not get a larger weapon, you don't get a penalty to use it. (And Goliath's have Powerful Build, so they should have a large weapon anyways.)

Ravens_cry
2011-08-12, 09:33 PM
But not your pants.

Kaje
2011-08-12, 09:36 PM
It also says your equipment still fits normally, so while you may not get a larger weapon, you don't get a penalty to use it. (And Goliath's have Powerful Build, so they should have a large weapon anyways.)

But non-goliath stoneblessed barbarians do not. They should be taking monkey-grip to offset the penalty.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-08-12, 09:40 PM
Replying to pretty much everyone.

Sizing Weapon + Monkey Grip.
Always keeps the weapon one size larger.

IthroZada
2011-08-12, 09:41 PM
But non-goliath stoneblessed barbarians do not. They should be taking monkey-grip to offset the penalty.

You are correct, I entirely forgot we were talking about stoneblessed and not simply Goliaths.

Devmaar
2011-08-13, 04:15 AM
So Stoneblessed let's you act like a member of another race. Now I think people have asked this question before but I'm making it a bit more specififc, So say a Halfling took Stoneblessed, now would they be able to use the Goliath Barbarian ACF's based on this, would he (DM providing, which I might) be able to swap out his previous barbarian features for the Goliath features or does it have to be new levels (the character hasn't been created yet.) Also how does the Mountain Rage which specifies large affect a small creature.

It would have to be new levels, racial subs specify that you must be 'about to take the level' to switch it out

Kaje
2011-08-18, 10:21 AM
After rechecking the text of Mountain Rage, I've realized that this is an extremely bizarre character, mechanically.

A Mountain Raging Halfling is large-sized, and has most of the standard bonuses and penalties of a large-sized creature (reach,space,grapple, etc).

But is only 4 feet tall and doesn't get to use larger weapons.

Elric VIII
2011-08-18, 11:08 AM
PHBII has retraining rules, it mght be worth it to look into those. There is one section that specificlly mentions retraining to racial sub levels, but since you technically did not qualify for them at the time you took the levels you might have to talk to your DM about it.

Greenish
2011-08-18, 11:53 AM
After rechecking the text of Mountain Rage, I've realized that this is an extremely bizarre character, mechanically.

A Mountain Raging Halfling is large-sized, and has most of the standard bonuses and penalties of a large-sized creature (reach,space,grapple, etc).

But is only 4 feet tall and doesn't get to use larger weapons.It could use larger weapons, since it's large. The effect just doesn't scale it's existing weapons (which would be too small for it).

Kaje
2011-08-18, 03:22 PM
I don't think so. Read the text of Mountain Rage. It works really oddly since it's intended for Goliaths, and explicitly says that they don't gain the ability to use larger weapons.

Oh, also I was wrong about grappling.

Here's something though. On the other hand, the ability states they don't get the bonuses on weapon size and grappling because they already have that ability from powerful build. So a possible alternate reading would be that anyone who manages to take the Mountain Rage ACF actually gains powerful build. Possibly only while raging.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-18, 03:24 PM

Monkey Grip doesn't reduce the penalty.