PDA

View Full Version : A Gygax Action/BioPic?

Roland St. Jude
2011-08-12, 09:10 PM
There's talk (http://www.examiner.com/rpg-in-national/gary-gygax-movie-on-the-horizon) of a $150 million feature film about the life of Gary Gygax interspersed with some storyline taking viewers into the D&D world he co-created.

I love stuff like this and it seems like the Gygax family is onboard and maybe at the origin of this idea. But for the life of me I have no idea what this would look like.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-08-12, 09:13 PM
Holy mackerel that sounds cool! But who'd play Gygax? And what studio would greenlight a project like that? I mean, the only theatrical D&D movie was a commercial and critical disaster, and the audience would be incredibly niche. I could only see this emerging as an independent project of some sort.

Pokonic
2011-08-12, 09:16 PM
Wow, this sounds cool! The one problem I see with this is this actualy getting made, because DnD has never had a good track record with movies.

Mystic Muse
2011-08-12, 09:16 PM
There's talk (http://www.examiner.com/rpg-in-national/gary-gygax-movie-on-the-horizon) of a $150 billion feature film about the life of Gary Gygax interspersed with some storyline taking viewers into the D&D world he co-created.

I love stuff like this and it seems like the Gygax family is onboard and maybe at the origin of this idea. But for the life of me I have no idea what this would look like.

:smalleek:

Please tell me this is a typo. As much as I want to see this film just because it sounds cool, they are not going to make that much money back.

Roland St. Jude
2011-08-12, 09:21 PM
:smalleek:

Please tell me this is a typo. As much as I want to see this film just because it sounds cool, they are not going to make that much money back.Yeah, I meant millions. :smallredface:

ArlEammon
2011-08-12, 09:23 PM
Hallelujah , hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, halleleujah!

This is satisfying to me.

Mystic Muse
2011-08-12, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I meant millions. :smallredface:

Oh Thank Celestia. I was really worried for a second there. Not only because they were never going to make that much back, there are much better things to spend $150 Billion on.

ArlEammon
2011-08-12, 09:25 PM
Oh Thank Celestia. I was really worried for a second there. Not only because they were never going to make that much back, there are much better things to spend $150 Billion on.

A permanent WOW account.

Pokonic
2011-08-12, 09:26 PM
A permanent WOW account.

Or a country.

turkishproverb
2011-08-12, 11:39 PM
As I said elsewhere:

This sounds like it'll be horrible, but I could actually see a biopic of Gary Gygax going well as a film. The guy, out of love, invents something, markets it, becomes successful, and then has it stolen through crooked business dealings. Simple enough narrative.

Roland St. Jude
2011-08-13, 12:35 AM
Possible title: Anti-Social Network. :smallamused:

I keed, I keed.

factotum
2011-08-13, 02:07 AM
With a budget like that you can guarantee that most of the film will be some sort of fantasy dream sequence set in a D&D world--if it was purely a biopic you could make it for a few million, tops!

Hazzardevil
2011-08-13, 02:15 AM
Possible title: Anti-Social Network. :smallamused:

I keed, I keed.

I doubt they'd call it that.

I think it's just going to be a film that is basically going to say, Gary made the 1st three editions with the evil man, Monte Cook.

He then made the wonderful 4th edition which made wizards of the coast millions.

That's how I expect the film to be.